Folavril 1980

Folavril by Goutal
Folavril is a perfume by Goutal for women and was released in 1980. The scent is floral-green. The production was apparently discontinued. Pronunciation

BoroniaBoronia
Exotic blossomsExotic blossoms
JasmineJasmine
MangoMango
Tomato leafTomato leaf

Submitted by Chemist, last update on 30.11.2021.

Green floral with a hint of tomato
I was first introduced to the tomato leaf accord in Passion, also by Annick Goutal. Having been somewhat familiar with the scent, and also having grown up in the country where tomatoes would thrive in our vegetable garden every year, the opening did not shock me.

I rather enjoyed the unique approach, especially since Folavril was supposedly the first fragrance release from the house of Annick Goutal in 1981. The top notes consist of tomato leaf, fizzy citruses and sweet mango. When I say fizzy, I mean fizzy. The opening literally fizzed up my nose with an interesting sourness.

It actually took some time for this fragrance to settle, but once it reached the heart, the sour accords were forgotten, making way for a light, delicate and feminine jasmine note.

The floral blend is rather soapy and a touch sweet. It's an understated soapiness that's presented here, something not too bland, but clean enough to be fresh. I think you'd have to enjoy fresh green florals to like Folavril. It strikes me as being very green and natural, sort of garden-like on my skin.

It's really the heart of green florals and that sweet mango that makes this fragrance so appealing. In all honesty the opening is perhaps a little too sharp for me, so upon further wearings I've allowed the fragrance to dry down before leaving the house.

The sillage is so-so, and the longevity chops and changes as it pleases. Some days it lasts, some days it doesn't. I enjoy this fragrance for what it is, a clean, soapy floral with tropical and green undertones. I do still prefer Annick Goutal's darker offerings, however Folavril is easily second behind Songes as my favourite Spring scent from this house.

Crazy April. Really.
Never boring, Annick Goutal FOLAVRIL is aptly named: crazy April. In the opening, I am reminded in wafting waves of Bond no 9 EAU DE NOHO and FASHION AVENUE. Among the mystery "floral notes" there is something very mimosa-like and something very violet-like, and the flowers smell rather sweet for a couple of minutes, until things begin to settle down a bit.

And down they do settle, all the way to the ground, becoming more and more savory until, by the end, all I really smell are green tomato leaves with no sweetness or florality at all. At this point images of caterpillars come immediately to mind, the kind in my father's vegetable garden--he always had tomatoes--when I was a child.

FOLAVRIL offers to my nose a rather strange juxtaposition of two very different perfumes in the opening and the drydown and is definitely a unique olfactory experience! This is not really a floral aldehyde (as claimed at other sites) but a sui generis composition. Worth testing, at the very least.

by Boszka79
by Boszka79

Popular Goutal

Ambre Fétiche (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Encens Flamboyant (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Vétiver by Goutal Sables by Goutal Nuit Etoilée (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Ninfeo Mio by Goutal Bois d'Hadrien by Goutal Nuit et Confidences by Goutal Étoile d'une Nuit by Goutal Heure Exquise by Goutal Rose Absolue by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Parfum) / Hadrien Absolu by Goutal Duel by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Ambre Sauvage by Goutal Mandragore Pourpre (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Vanille Charnelle by Goutal Eau de Monsieur (2013) by Goutal Vanille Exquise by Goutal Nuit Étoilée (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal