Gardénia Passion 1989

Gardénia Passion by Goutal
Gardénia Passion is a perfume by Goutal for women and was released in 1989. The scent is floral-sweet. It is being marketed by Amore Pacific / 아모레퍼시픽. Pronunciation

Annick Goutal

Top Notes Top NotesGardeniaGardenia
JasmineJasmine
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrange blossomOrange blossom
TuberoseTuberose
Base Notes Base NotesOakmossOakmoss

Submitted by Lissy, last update on 14.11.2021.

Tubéreuse in a Green House?
It's so funny that Annick Goutal GARDENIA PASSION features tuberose only garnished with gardenia, while Estée Lauder Private Collection TUBEROSE GARDENIA is much more about gardenia than it is about tuberose! Both are obviously big white flower perfumes, so the names are a warning sign to those with issues with this genre.

The tuberose in GARDENIA PASSION is the thick, wilted kind. It smells rather dark and damp to me, as though the flowers are being held in captivity in a huge greenhouse amidst lots of other plant growth, not all of it tuberose, but not very much of it gardenia.

The first time I tried this perfume, I entertained the possibility that there had been some sort of decanting error, but now that I have a bottle, it is undeniable that this is essentially a tuberose soliflore. This of course raises all of the usual comparison questions: how does it stack up against FRACAS, BLONDE, CARNAL FLOWER, and the slew of other tuberose perfumes which continue to appear on the market, including the Histoires de Parfums trilogy?

To my nose, GARDENIA PASSION is not as good as those creations. The thick, somewhat muddled quality of the tuberose note here makes this composition seem more primitive. It actually reminds me a bit of Honore des Pres VAMP A NY, which I did not review very favorably. I won't say that GARDENIA PASSION is crude, but it is less refined. Still, on occasion it's nice to wear, just as it is nice to spend time in a stuffy and humid greenhouse every once in a while...

Richly scented gardenia and tuberose
I was reading Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez's opinions regarding Gardenia Passion before I went into reviewing this fragrance. They mentioned that Annick Goutal was not fond of gardenias, hence the reason as to why this fragrance is more tuberose than anything else.

I'll sum up Gardenia Passion as being a rather loud, yet beautiful white floral. I remember the moment when I first tried this fragrance some years ago. I was so very repulsed by it all. I found it much too strong, and in some ways bitter. I also felt the same way about Fracas then.

Currently I'm an avid lover of white florals, especially when they've been constructed well and come minus the synthetic components. Gardenia Passion smells natural and real to me. Almost perfection in a way. While Fracas is too buttery for my tastes, Gardenia Passion is like traipsing through a florist's shop and inhaling various floral aromas.

Gardenia Passion is rich and powdery once settled. Believe it or not, this fragrance smells absolutely divine on smokers. Despite the belief that white florals smell like 'old ladies', Gardenia Passion does not fuel this idea and instead comes across as being very seductive and elegant on the skin.

I absolutely love Passion by Annick Goutal, and in some ways Gardenia Passion is a more floral and less earthy and/or incensey version.

Despite its tendency to be rather strong, Gardenia Passion is never cloying. It has that real classic appeal, something that screams sophistication and femininity. I might also add that the lasting strength is impressive, especially for that of an EDT.

Alex1984Alex1984 1 year ago
Finally, a modern gardenia (tuberose) devoid of coconut, ylang, vanilla. Just green flowers, soil and a slight animal breath. Worth having.

by Florblanca
by Florblanca

Popular Goutal

Ambre Fétiche (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Encens Flamboyant (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Nuit et Confidences by Goutal Vétiver by Goutal Bois d'Hadrien by Goutal Sables by Goutal Nuit Etoilée (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Étoile d'une Nuit by Goutal Ninfeo Mio by Goutal Heure Exquise by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Parfum) / Hadrien Absolu by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Ambre Sauvage by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Vanille Charnelle by Goutal Duel by Goutal Mandragore Pourpre (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Rose Absolue by Goutal Eau de Monsieur (2013) by Goutal Eau du Sud by Goutal Myrrhe Ardente (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal