Heure Exquise 1984

Heure Exquise by Goutal
Heure Exquise is a popular perfume by Goutal for women and was released in 1984. The scent is floral-powdery. It is being marketed by Amore Pacific Group / 아모레퍼시픽은. Pronunciation

Turkish rose, Florentine iris, Sandalwood

Submitted by Chemist, last update on 17.07.2020.

Classic French Perfumery in the Best Sense of the Term
I cannot add much more to what other reviewers have said about this fragrance already. Heure Exquise is quite simply a drop dead gorgeous fragrance, and if I did not know better, I would be convinced that it is a legendary Guerlain creation. This is classic French perfumery at its finest as I have only known Guerlain to do it, and this is very high praise indeed coming from a Guerlain worshipper.

HE does remind me somewhat of Chamade as others have noted, but it is not at all the same as Chamade. I like HE even more than Chamade. It is more lush than Chamade and has a darker rose note.

I think HE lends itself more readily to evening wear, and it is a bit formal. I fancy it suits a sophisticated, elegant woman of at least 35 or older. I cannot imagine anyone in her 20s wearing this. HE is to Annick Goutal what Shalimar is to Guerlain and No. 5 is to CHANEL---the houses's iconic fragrances.

This exquisite fragrance is both full bottle worthy and back up bottle worthy in my opinion. I have only smelt a few fragrances from Annick Goutal, but HE is by far the most beautiful, the most impressive of those I have tried.

Few fragrances literally have made me swoon, but HE is definitely one that made me swoon not simply upon first application but throughout its excellent unfolding all the way into the deep dry down. I do not wish to gush, but this is one of those fragrances one could believe was created for a goddess just as Fanny opined in her review.

Fragrance: 10/10
Sillage: 9/10
Projection: 9/10
Longevity: 7/10

Too excellent?...
Well, Divinity has arrived in the building.
Everything else, previously called divine, is looking a bit faint and dusty.

Being not too much in the habit of idolising flowers in a perfume, let alone idolise a 'flowers-only' scent (I'm an overall 'woody oriental' (Lutens!!) worshipper), I am confused by the fact that this perfume compels me to "throw heaps of praise upon it"..

So I question myself:
Would I want to smell like a goddess?
Would I want to own the stature of an empress?
Would I want heads to bow in awe and recognition?
Hm.

Do I bow for Heure Exquise?

Carnal and sultry
The use of galbanum in Heure Exquise is outstanding.

She's managed to compose a perfume that's absolutely sultry. The soft floral accord pierced and ravished by the galbanum.
Rendering a perfume that would've aptly been named Carnal Orchard.

Galbanum , in my experience , is mostly used detached whatever accord the perfumer has going in that perfume.
Imagine a floral accord and the galbanum note in tandem but on different tangents.
But in Heure Exquise the galbanum intertwines, harasses if you will, those shy spoken florals.

I recently picked up a bottle of the EdP and have been mesmerized by the craftsmanship deployed in utilizing the galbanum to compose such an animalic scent.

A Stunning Floral Chypre
Annick Goutal HEURE EXQUISE is such a complex and compelling creation, constructed of such high-quality components, that it could easily have come out of the house of Guerlain in the early twentieth century, back in the good old days, long before the devastating coup staged by industrial chemists and venture capitalists. Wow, I'm impressed.

Unbelievably, HEURE EXQUISE actually lives up to its name. This exquisite chypre-like floral approaches the stratum occupied by the likes of MITSOUKO and ARPEGE. You won't find any sour, synthetic sandalwood here. Du vrai parfum, this is just stunning! Rose and iris mingle with a variety of unlisted chypre notes to produce an intoxicating composition with excellent longevity and big, beautiful sillage.

Kosmoskukka
Memories from old good times*
Hi,
this scent reminds me of some hundreds ago times of classical Lady having wisdom at Heart connected to mind. Peacefull and comforting nature. Not femme fatale at all or club queen. But this scent is a scent of royal court, large gardens with people enjoying each others company, labyrinth plays on summer day. Old fashioned scent and so stylish. I just had to order big edp bottle of this special scent.

My favourite iris fragrance
An iris fragrance in my mind, and based upon what I've experienced, is often counteracted with a distinguishable soapiness, heavy powder or an array of other floral notes. Heure Exquise is very different from what I'm used to. This is no Iris Nobile, Le Labo Iris 39 or Chanel 28 La Pausa.

I was actually surprised to see iris listed as a note here. When I first smelt this fragrance the dominant iris did not occur to me. I was too fascinated with the overall composition rather than determining particular notes.

Upon further reflection, Heure Exquise does have a lovely iris accord. This fragrance is stunningly simple. Somewhat dry, spiced powder with smokey undertones.

To me this fragrance is almost animalistic. It has many sensual qualities and it exudes confidence and an element of class. When the iris blends with the turkish rose, sandalwood and subtle spices, the result is almost ethereal.

Heure Exquise almost surpasses my undying love for Passion, also by Annick Goutal. Combined with great lasting power and an iris that shines above and beyond many iris scents on the market today, Heure Exquise is a sure winner in my eyes.

I cannot wait to get my hands on a bottle. The wait is almost too hard to bare.

SystemeD
One of the best Goutal fragrances
Heure Exquise opens with aldehydes, which I did not expect at all.

Then, galbanum, and lots of it, accompanied by rose. There's some iris here too, but the galbanum dominates on me, even into the drydown, which is a sweet sandalwood, simultaneously powdery and rounded.

Lovely, really.

by Sherapop
by Sherapop

Popular Goutal

Ambre Fétiche (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Encens Flamboyant (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Nuit Etoilée (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Vétiver by Goutal Sables by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Parfum) / Hadrien Absolu by Goutal Ninfeo Mio by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Ambre Sauvage by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Mandragore Pourpre by Goutal Duel by Goutal Rose Absolue by Goutal Bois d'Hadrien by Goutal Eau du Sud by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Vanille Charnelle by Goutal Vanille Exquise by Goutal Songes (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Myrrhe Ardente (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Eau de Monsieur (2013) by Goutal Nuit Étoilée (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal