Mon Parfum Chéri par Camille 2011 Eau de Parfum

Mon Parfum Chéri par Camille (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal
Mon Parfum Chéri par Camille (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Goutal for women and was released in 2011. The scent is earthy-powdery. It is being marketed by Amore Pacific / 아모레퍼시픽. Pronunciation

Isabelle Doyen

Indonesian patchouliIndonesian patchouli
IrisIris
VioletViolet
PlumPlum
HeliotropeHeliotrope

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 24.06.2021.

Serenissima
damp earth after the rain
For me, patchouli is the scent of the earth: moist and fertile, smelling of decaying leaves and mushrooms, of mysterious depth.
Its hue is dark brown, interspersed with golden streaks; the shiny polished gemstone of tiger's eye as a creamy-bearing flow of fragrance.
Its tone is not major and not minor; somehow patchouli resonates between the two.

And this dark, somewhat dirty patchouli scent is accompanied by a wave of dark purple floral and fruity aromas in "Mon Parfum Chéri par Camille"
Already the prelude with patchouli and dark ripe plum, whose sweet juice can be sensed pulsating under the plump skin, seems strange.
But why? This sensual fruit draws its strength and beauty from this very heavy fertile (patchouli) earth.
Excellent to the melange fits the small violet with its friendly face and the intense feminine fragrance, which it generously exudes.
Velvety like the skin of the ripe plum is also this flower and thus an invitation for iris powder, which lays delicately scented over everything.
Heliotrope flowers in thick umbels, also in rich dark violet, live up to their name "vanilla flower": warm and sensual, they spread this heavy balsamic fragrance and harmoniously close this composition.

Thus, patchouli and its floral fragrance-intensive companions appear here like purple blossoms after rain on damp earth; even the small iridescent droplets on the dark flower faces can be glimpsed.
The result is a fragrance structure of earthy-erotic charm, which will not only cause enthusiasm.
For this it is too special, too dark and too own; its lascivious sensuality can certainly repel as well as charm.

"Mon Parfum Chéri par Camille" was designed by Isabelle Doyen for Annick Goutal's daughter Camille.
Isabelle Doyen, more of a family friend and collaborator from the beginning, was the down-to-earth counterpart to the lively, graceful Annick. The two complemented each other perfectly. Like now Camille and the nevertheless some years older Isabelle.
The company Annick Goutal can afford these small emotional fragrance side jumps.
Stands nevertheless for three decades large companies behind the enterprise: after the champagne manufacturer Taittinger it is today a Korean enterprise.

"We want to tell a story with a fragrance," Camille Goutal explained in an interview.
And it wouldn't matter at all if the person wearing that fragrance read or experienced it the same way.
A fragrance is, after all, something very personal.
Thus, a whole story lives in a small flacon, which nestles shapely and sensual in the hand and invites you to touch.

"Mon Parfum Chéri par Camille" tells the story of a female friendship; the story of three very different women united by their passion for fragrance.
Since I'm currently wearing this fragrance, I kind of belong too.
This feels very good!
Chéri?
Short comment:

Starts on the skin as if patchouli and plum were coked together in the pot. Since someone loved his daughter but not very, I think to myself. A perfumer had told me, Ms. Goutal has dedicated this fragrance to her daughter Camille. After fifteen minutes, I return to the "spray room" and .... Yikes! What is that?! The room smells delicately of juicy fruity plum with a bit of earth attached. That pleases me then, nevertheless, better.

Over time, the two approach each other and result in a mixture for me, but then I can not do much with. It is at the end, as if one had pushed the pot yet in time from the hotplate. Iris, violets and heliotrope must have disappeared so quickly that I didn't even get a hint of them

Dry, Dusty, and Woody
The notes in this eau de parfum are supposed to be Iris, Patchouli, Heliotrope, Violet, and Plum. I mainly detect the iris and the patchouli with a tiny hint of violet. I do not detect a plum note, but that could change as the seasons change. Some fragrance notes come to the fore more in either cold or hot or damp or dry windy weather, so I do not consider I know a fragrance very well until I have worn it over the course of a year or so.

This fragrance reminds me of an earlier era in perfume history dating back to 60s and 70s. It is not categorised as a chypre, but it does have a chypre-like quality to it that I cannot unpack easily in words, but my nose detects it.

This fragrance is not at all sweet, and at this point I do not find it fruity, either. It is just a dry, dusty, and quite woody fragrance that seems to belong to a mature, sophisticated woman or man as I feel the fragrance is quite unisex. I have both the eau de toilette and the eau de parfum. I like both of them. It is not a fragrance I would reach for quite often, but I do like it and feel that it is unique in my collection.

If these notes appeal to you, and if you like dry, woody fragrances, chances are you will like this fragrance. If you prefer sweet or fruity fragrances, or if you prefer opulent Orientals, this fragrance probably will not appeal. As always, if possible, sample first.

Overall, this is a good quality, non-synthetic smelling, classical type fragrance I believe is most suitable to someone over 30. Unlike so many bottle these days, the bottles for both the EdT and the EdP are quite attractively feminine and compliment the fragrances inside.

Fragrance: 7/10

Projection: 6/10

Sillage: 6/10

Longevity: 6/10

Bottle: 7.5/10

DorothyGrace
Patchouli, plum, and homemade marzipan.
I bought the eau de toilette of Mon Parfum quite soon after its release . Disappointed with reformulations of my old loves (or finding them discontinued), I was looking for a new, 'proper' old fashioned perfume that could become my signature and being new stay with me for a number of years. I tried Mon Parfum Cherie Par Camille, decided it was the one, bought a full bottle - and it was promptly discontinued. For how long? One year? Two years? I don't know but I got a lot of niche perfume testing under my belt looking for an alternative.

It is now back but available on the Annick Goutal website only so I can't test it. Was it reformulated? Is the edp very different?

Anyway, today Mon Parfum is wearing sweet with a delicious dry earthiness laying over plum marmalade and fresh made marzipan with, of course, gushings of a well aged patchouli.

Lovely stuff.

Miss American Pie
Tell me a story of long ago. It is written on sheet music, or in prose, or in the notes of a perfume. Sometimes it is possible to combine them and this is what Camille Goutal has accomplished with Mon Parfum Cheri. It was inspired by a gift of solid perfume from Collette to Annick Goutal, who was eight when the French author Collette died; one wonders what circumstances led to a gift being made to a child,but they were both pianists who left their original discipline for another field, sensual prose for Collette and perfume training for Annick. This perfume, crafted by Camille Goutal as a tribute to her Mother pays homage to the rustle of silk, silver candelabra, Austrian crystal and fine Damask napkins.The table is set. The ladies are resplendent, in dress and perfume. Even the table napkins are scented, it's patchouli.
Indonesian patchouli is employed without apology in the opening of MPC. It's frightful... one recoils, then I consider how it was first used as an insect repellent in bolts of silk and other imports. I allow it to dissipate as I recall the sensuality of the book. 'Silk'. And then, by association, I think of FILTH, a book with an acronym in its title (Failed in London, Try Hong Kong)
There is plum, Satsuma of course, and I am reminded of Femme, the great Roudnitska's lovechild. Iris, the goddess of the rainbow, mixes and mingles as an excellent hostess should at a soiree. The adventure isn't over, the similarity to Cuir Amethyste hits me like a brick and I tumble down a rabbit hole where Daim Blonde is trying to wake the Dormouse. A jester sings to the KIng and Queen in a coat he borrowed from James Dean and moss grows on a rolling stone, but that's not how it used to be, back in the day, before the music died, before perfumery became praline, before we all began to smell of egg custard pies. Who started throwing those things anyway?
Mon Parfum Cheri par Camille is about how it used to be, an open declaration, a petition if you like, for a return to great French Perfumery. Where do I sign?

the lottery
I am as easily sucked in by the term “chypre-effect” as the next perfume fanatic. I’ll admit, I blind bought. Not only were the reviews good, but the dark plum-iris-patchouli targets me perfectly. Factor in my recent fascination with Annick Goutal fragrances and I become a big, round bull’s-eye.

As it turns out, I’m in love with this perfume. It is encompassing. Blanketing really, but perfectly calibrated. It’s a dusky, dusty, musty pairing of patchouli and coumarin. The plummy richness and the odd, lovely pairing of florals, iris and the dark vanillic heliotropin, serve more as modifiers than main course.

In tone, this could be Aromatics Elixir’s younger sister, a bit less stern but equally towering. It’s not a chypre, though. It’s not even like a chypre, despite the common thread of pachouli. It’s a dank, powdery wood, with a remote sweetness. It’s neither old-fashioned nor retro. But it does feels like it refers to the past. In the way that certain perfumes seem to have a language, MPC speaks the language of the more assured mid-late 20th century feminine perfumes. It is a like mind to Diorella, Sherrer by Sherrer, Azuree, Chanel 19.

Contemporary perfumery would lure you into a Bravo world where high heels define femininity. MPC reveals backbone. It’s not perched, it’s grounded. It is 180° from another patchouli heavy feminine, Angel. Angel is an exciting, monstrous femme that knocks you over. But where Angel is an irresistible force, MPC is the immovable object. It has gravity. MPC demonstrates that stillness is not stasis, but poise. It doesn’t try to appear contemporary, as in the ridiculous expression ‘fashion forward’. It simply IS contemporary. J’y suis, j’y reste.

Screw bubbly and whimsical. They are irrelevant. MPC is serious. The seriousness speaks of intent and assuredness. This is how perfume is sexy.

P. S. I’ve always disliked the AG ‘gender’ bottles. The blocky masculine bottle is tolerable, but the feminine bottle is ugly in its plain-Jane frilliness. Is gender really so simple as these two bottles? Putting the self-possessed MPC in this dowdy feminine bottle, though, reveals a line of thinking that shows that the easier it is to spot the simple gender binary at a glance, the easier it is to move past it.

Chewy Purple Fruitchouli...the best of its kind!
I have to confess that upon applying Annick Goutal MON PARFUM CHERI, my initial reaction was: "Meh. Goutal gets into the fruitchouli game." However, I had to eat my words shortly thereafter, because as the perfume developed and settled, it became more and more compelling to my nose. There is a lot more complexity here than I've sniffed in other fruitchoulis of late, and the high quality, natural-smelling ingredients which I've come to expect chez Annick Goutal are in full evidence as well.

The overall result is quite appealing: chewy, plummy, woody with some sweet florals along for the ride. I like this composition very much, I really do. Another big surprise is the heft, projection, and potency. I was sure that this must be an eau de parfum because of the sheer strength of this elixir. In fact, on the vial of my manufacturer's carded sample are clearly printed the words "eau de toilette". Nice to know that not all houses have succumbed to the temptation to dilute their wares to stretch them as thinly as possible...

Good work, Goutal! One must like plum and patchouli in order to enjoy wearing this perfume, but if you do, then this one's for you, as it's the best of the recent bunch of launches in this general mold.

Spicy plum and patchouli
Mon Parfum Cheri, par Camille really surprised me in regards to it being so unique. Annick Goutal is my favourite niche house, and I have tried, and fallen in love with many of her scents. Camille Goutal took hold of the reins in the production of this fragrance, and what she's managed to come up with, is quite astounding.

This fragrance opens with a rather rich and alcoholic blast of plum and patchouli. The blend is quite full-bodied and strong, yet it only lasts a few minutes before Mon Parfum Cheri, par Camille settles into a somewhat powdery concoction, a cross between medicinal ointments and powdery, vintage cosmetics.

Throughout most of its development, this fragrance is an earthy presentation of patchouli, plum and powdery iris. Grain de Musc describes this fragrance as an "earth-mama chypre", and I have to agree. It actually reminds me of Guerlain's Mitsouko strangely enough. Just a richer and darker version with a dash of plum dipped in spirits.

This scent is the epitome of Autumn weather. Cool, mysterious and tranquil. Mon Parfum Cheri, par Camille is perhaps not as elegant nor as classic as other Annick Goutal offerings, yet there is something rather quaint and likable about its composition.

Unfortunately the longevity is rather weak on my skin, however I'm not sure whether my sample is in the EDP or EDT concentration. The sillage is so-so, a lot softer than I thought it would ultimately be. The opening is by far the strongest in terms of sillage.

This fragrance has turned out to be quite a success, with many perfume critics praising its earthy, fruity and chypre nature. I enjoy it too, however on my skin it gives me that guilty feeling of wearing another's perfume. In other words, Mon Parfum Cheri, par Camille is not a fragrance that is particularly 'me'.

Unpleasant patchouli
No enthousiasm, on the contrary. I am a patchouli lover, but this perfume is a major disappointment, a total scrubber. It smells like rotten damp earth and accentuates all those aspects of patchouli which can turn very unpleasant when in the hands of the wrong perfumer. The iris and plum notes don't balance the "funeral parlour impression" this fragrance conveys. The worst Goutal I ever tried.

HajuvanaHajuvana 5 years ago
Patchouli and iris - together at last! (Who ordered soily carrots?) Mixed with bottom-shelf-fruit-brandy kind of fruitiness. Hell, why not!
DorothyGraceDorothyGrace 5 years ago
My next full bottle buy has to be better than this; it's a tall order. Sweet plumy patchouli with a hint of powdery violet Delicious.

by Florblanca
by Chanelle
by Philosykos
by Philosykos

Popular Goutal

Ambre Fétiche (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Encens Flamboyant (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Nuit et Confidences by Goutal Vétiver by Goutal Bois d'Hadrien by Goutal Sables by Goutal Nuit Etoilée (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Étoile d'une Nuit by Goutal Ninfeo Mio by Goutal Heure Exquise by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Parfum) / Hadrien Absolu by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Ambre Sauvage by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Vanille Charnelle by Goutal Duel by Goutal Mandragore Pourpre (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Rose Absolue by Goutal Eau de Monsieur (2013) by Goutal Eau du Sud by Goutal Myrrhe Ardente (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal