Songes 2006 Eau de Toilette

Songes (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal
Songes (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Goutal for women and was released in 2006. The scent is floral-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Amore Pacific / 아모레퍼시픽. Pronunciation

FrangipaniFrangipani
TiaréTiaré
Jasmine sambacJasmine sambac
Ylang-ylang absoluteYlang-ylang absolute
Bourbon vanilla absoluteBourbon vanilla absolute
BenzoinBenzoin
PatchouliPatchouli
CinnamonCinnamon
CuminCumin
Black pepperBlack pepper

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 18.10.2021.

Rossiniopera
Tropical summer with a "bite"
A few years ago I had a small bottle of Songes edp. I believe it was an older one, but not sure how old. It came in a small, square black bottle with gold stars. I wanted to like it, but I just wasn't able to truly appreciate it and wear it - so in the end, I sold it.

Last week I saw someone selling a bottle of Songes edt, the first version with the bow around the cap. Suddenly, I felt that I missed it, and although it was a bit expensive, I decided to give it another try. Perhaps the edt would feel a little lighter and be more wearable than my previous edp.

The bottle arrived today, and the first spray was two things: tropical floral heaven, and a medium strong rubber note. The kind of rubber note that you often get with tuberose perfumes - tuberose is not listed for Songes, but the effect is similar. When I smelled my arm up close, it was almost unpleasant, something like a mix of sweat and sun-heated old rubber ties. But the scent that was wafting around me, was beautiful - sweet exotic flowers on a base of vanilla. And a single spray was really intense! The rubber feeling slowly faded, but the flowers stayed strong. I think that with the edp, the problem was that it was so concentrated that the rubber note was completely dominating over the flowers. With the edt, the proportions are different, and the flowers are allowed to really glow. Six hours after application it is still pleasant, but no longer intensely radiating as it was in the beginning. The vanilla is quite strong, but the other spices are noticeable as well. Cumin mainly in the opening, where you can feel the "bite", cinnamon is more of a soft, warm base, it doesn't stand out as much.

I am really glad that I decided to give Songes another chance, and I imagine I will be wearing this quite a lot this summer.
Just too much
Yesterday morning I sprayed myself with "Songes", 2 x pfft pfft. A strong floral cloud blows around me immediately. Flowers, powerful flowers that take me and the room ... and stay. For a long, long, long time. As the day goes on, I'm slightly annoyed: I have these flowers in my nose all the time without any change, also almost unchanged powerful. After about 10 hours, I write my statement and sniff my wrist again more intensely. I have no intention of ever spraying "Songes" on again. In fact, I still notice creamy vanilla and some spice there as well. As the evening progresses, however, the florals finally retreat, mingling with vanilla, patchouli and co, and I have the impression that the scent has now retreated to a - for me - acceptable level. This morning I have a fragrance on my wrist, as I would have liked from the beginning: floral-creamy-spicy in a balanced ratio.

Conclusion: "Songes" is just too much for me for about 15 hours.

Addendum 1/19:
Just realize that I have tested the EdP...

Uplifting beautiful perfume
I'm very glad I had the chance to get to know Songes edt . I had tried the edp and didn't like it as much as this version. On my skin it starts out full of sweet jasmine with some addition of tiare, not a dense thick jasmine scent but an airy cool bright scent of tropical white flowers. A few minutes after the stage is given to a blend of the previous with beautiful ylang ylang absolute. This middle phase lasts and lasts, evolving slowly to a comfortable drydown with vanille, spices and wood (not sure which but I would say it is a mixture of cedar with maybe a drop of patchouli).

White flowers+ylang ylang+ woody powdery vanille, slighly spiced.
Uplifting, long lasting and with a moderate sillage it is a very beautiful scent.

Take a hike on the Makiki and Nuuanu trails
didn't get as much of the white floral as other reviewers. It was more of a warm, yellow, smoothness. None of the sharp white floral I dislike.

The opening was full of Frangipani, Tiare Flowers with a touch of Vanilla. It was lovely. The Jasmine and Ylang-Ylang were soft backup singers, never getting to loud so that the Frangipani was the dominant note.

The overall mix of floral reminded me of the scent of the Nuuanu or Makiki trails on Oahu. It is the closest thing to true Hawaiian tropical I have found. None of the brass coconut, or suntan lotion thing many "tropical" scents have. This was the true tropics. Soft, warm, yellow floral, relaxed and calm. Nothing brash or loud. Just delightfully gorgeous.

I am definitely going to put this near the top of my must buy list.

Oct
2013

Jasmine & Ylang bomb!
I’ve ordered a sample of this rare beauty in my search for a fume of that most elusive flower, Ylang Ylang. From the first application I was in floral heaven! I was hit with a powerful gust of Ylang Ylang overtaking my senses for about 20 minutes before Jasmine replaced it in the composition. The Jasmine note here is the indolic kind: Natural, unrefined, and sinfully voluptuous. The Vanilla Absolute joined in the sensual fray in the base notes, making this a Jasmine/Vanilla combo at its climax. This perfume reminds me of a graceful-looking woman adorned in a most conservative dress, who sits in a dim-lit restaurant, sipping her wine and gazing into her lover’s eyes. And yet the man across her can hardly sit still. Like a hungry cat who’s smelled a delectable piece of treat in an obstructed cupboard, he cannot wait to rush out of there and take her home, for he knows that she’s wearing a garter belt and no panties under her modest disguise... There is something absolutely erotic about Songes. My recommendation is: Try it at least once. You won’t find this kind of deceptive carnality everywhere.

Southern Cross
I have travelled widely in the South Pacific, this area that I call home. Please bear in mind that I see hundreds of reviews where Paris, London and Rome are a train ride away to those in heavily populated areas of the Northern Hemisphere. The reference base is different. I've never crossed the threshold of a proper perfume house and I buy my fragances online. I'm not being a jerk.
I know the scents of Noumea, Rarotonga, Tahiti, Fiji, Norfolk, and Lindeman quite well, not to mention Australia and New Zealand's bush and stopovers in Hawaii. Songes is the most complete tropical perfume I have encountered, so far. It would have been inconsiderate to wear Songes to 'South Pacific' (the show) as it is a powerhouse perfume but I can't think of a better fit. It is Fracas, South Pacific style, with the requirement of fresh air and good spatial proximity. The stabiltiy of the perfume commands total respect. This is a stellar fragrance, I give it the stamp of the Southern Cross.

banana
The mixed floral is a very particular exercise. For many, the term perfume implies floral, though for the connoisseur a mixed floral might be a cliché. Given the icons, Joy, No. 5, Amouage Gold, anything less than outstanding doesn't measure up. And given the ubiquity of floral scented functional products any floral perfume with less than a certain degree of sophistication or intention will be considered cheap. Forget the fact that any perfumer considering the challenge is haunted by the two classics: 'smells like soap', and unintended complement of appearing 'like an old lady'.

Songes focuses on the qualities of floral fragrances rather than storytelling. It is identifiably fruity, white, tropical. And while some call it a floral oriental, I consider it a woody floral. The house of the Goutal know florals, and their line shows a wide range of floral perfumery. In Songes they perfect the woody sub-genre. It's not just a floral that eventually dries down to woody basenotes. From the focused sweetness of the opening notes through the ambery-sweet, woody tones Songes remains taut and crisp without feeling uptight. It's fitted, and in this respect can be both sexy and formal simultaneously. Composure is Songe's defining attribute, and from its heady top to it smiling tightlipped base it never takes a wrong turn.

While smelling nothing like one, Songes is a sort of ripening banana in reverse. Expansive, bombastic, even dizzying at the start. A bit more subtle, starched, equally satisfying in the end.

Luxurious Floral
A rich, heady tropical floral, thick enough to swim in!

This swirls around you like a luxurious garment. I'm in love!

Creamy White floral
This is a dream,a fragrant poem!
Creamy vanilla and white flowers.A mix of white petals under the sunshine :)
Frangipani,jasmine,tiare flower inside a romantic dream.""Songes"-Dreams!
What a wonderful inspiration!What a dreamy perfume!I love it!
Best sillage,longevity and bottle .100% rate in all!AAA perfume.

Sugary white floral
Songes is absolutely beautiful. One whiff of this fragrance and I really fell in love.

I had started off my love for Annick Goutal fragrances when I tried Passion, which just happened to be the first perfume from her house that I tried. From then on I have been continuously impressed by her array of floral fragrances. Songes was no exception.

As you may have guessed, Songes is very flowery, sweet, feminine and pretty. While Passion is more suited to special occasions, Songes wears well as a casual or daytime scent.

The scent itself is quite bright and sugary. Imagine a bouquet of fresh jasmine and frangipani blooms sprinkled with icing sugar and you have Songes.

This fragrance actually makes me think of a wedding. Not a particular wedding, just an image of a romantic celebration, and Songes could very well be a beautiful and fitting fragrance for such a day.

This fragrance has great lasting power, so those people that assume that Annick Goutal fragrances don't last, you should think again.

I knew even before testing this fragrance, that Songes would be undeniably hard to resist. If you love white florals or sweet scents, I highly recommend.

by Boszka79
by Shehrazade
by Miriell
by Miriell

Popular Goutal

Ambre Fétiche (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Encens Flamboyant (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Nuit et Confidences by Goutal Vétiver by Goutal Bois d'Hadrien by Goutal Sables by Goutal Nuit Etoilée (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Étoile d'une Nuit by Goutal Ninfeo Mio by Goutal Heure Exquise by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Parfum) / Hadrien Absolu by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Ambre Sauvage by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Vanille Charnelle by Goutal Duel by Goutal Mandragore Pourpre (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Rose Absolue by Goutal Eau de Monsieur (2013) by Goutal Eau du Sud by Goutal Myrrhe Ardente (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal