Vétiver 1985

Vétiver by Goutal
Vétiver is a popular perfume by Goutal for men and was released in 1985. The scent is spicy-green. The production was apparently discontinued. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesJava vetiver
Heart Notes Heart NotesSpices
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Tobacco, Tonka bean

Submitted by Pazuzu, last update on 31.03.2020.

Smoky and intense vetiver
The first time you spray this you may start looking around, wondering, "what on earth is burning?" Once you realise it's your own skin rather than the house burning down with you inside it, you can appreciate a beautiful, smoky vetiver in all its glory.

This vetiver is the dirty kind. It's earthy and concentrated, more true to the real scent of vetiver than any other scent before it. It's bold, brash and sometimes shocking. It really encompasses the scent of nature. Vetiver, rich in saltiness conjures up the image of a hidden beach, complete with seaweed and wet sand.

It has a slightly 'inky' smell, particularly towards the heart I found. Annick Goutal's Vetiver has pointed out to me how strange and weird the scent of true vetiver is. Prior to testing this fragrance, I knew vetiver when it was smothered with citrus, green accords or sweetness. In fact vetiver doesn't get much more masculine than this.

As a woman I struggle to wear Annick Goutal's Vetiver and do it justice. I would find it far more intriguing on a man's skin I'm sure. I'm just so taken aback by how obscure this fragrance is, and I love it even more for its quirkiness.

It's a rather refreshing day-time scent for me, recommended to those that love the smell and feel of natural scents. Vetiver lasted a good six or more hours on my skin and projected relatively well. I recommend.

Neither, Nor, and Both
Annick Goutal VETIVER is a very complex and unusual vetiver perfume. What to my nose is a seriously sinus-clearing component (is that iodine?) combines with a smokiness evocative of Lapsang Souchong tea to pull the vetiver in opposite directions simultaneously. This is not a clean vetiver, but nor is it dirty. And yet, paradoxically, it seems at the same time to be both!

Upon donning this perfume, a sample of which was kindly sent to me by MissK, Australia's national treasure and reigning scent maven, I was immediately taken aback. This is Annick Goutal? I thought to myself. Most of the Goutal perfumes I have tried are quite feminine, and the unisex fragrances such as MANDRAGORE and EAU D'HADRIEN display a simplicity of purpose and design. VETIVER, in contrast, is all about contrasts and complexity.

Aquatic fragrances do not generally agree with me, but maybe I just have not encountered any good ones? If Annick Goutal VETIVER is classified as an aquatic perfume, then it appears that I have finally met my match: an aquatic perfume which I can and would actually choose to wear. No seasickness, no malaise, none of the telltale signs of aquatics run amuck to induce physiological shock arose during my experience of this perfume.

Aesthetically, this composition seems to me to be in some ways similar to Lalique ENCRE NOIRE. However, the iodine used in VETIVER to produce a sort of salty seaspray effect is far more appealing to me than is the je ne sais quoi "ink" of ENCRE NOIRE which makes that fragrance seem somewhat otherworldly--in the sense of alien. The smokiness also makes VETIVER more complex, and while the Lalique is something of an iso-E-super cheat, this perfume is not. I like it a lot.

Amphibious
This Vetiver is such an odd mix of the elements. It’s the surf-and-turf perfume. I hear the words marine, aquatic and salty used often to describe fragrances and I always wonder what they mean. I understand marine when talking about Secretions Magnifiques. In that case it’s the scent of drying and decaying beach debris. I understand aquatic to be a marketing term to describe calone and related aromachemicals. Salty? You got me.

Annick Goutal’s Vetiver gives you that blast of iodine at the outset that actually does suggest the scent of crashing surf thrown into the air. It’s very specific. It’s a scent that reminds you of the sea and not of iodine tincture or povidone-iodine. After the sea-air feel fades, though, Vetiver becomes an earthy scent. There is a tonka-coumarin note that combines with the less rootlike aspects of the vetiver to give a nice moist-hay, grassy scent. It smells a bit like a peaty Scotch. All of these elemental notes must sound a bit grim, but there is something that keeps Vetiver buoyant. It doesn’t actually smell floral, but in the heart something emerges that gives an impression that a soft white floral heart would also give. I’m not sure how it’s done, but it’s a great effect.

Iodine elegance
Today, I enjoyed the most unusual vetiver that has probably ever been created. Annick Goutal's approach to vetiver is completely different from any other, and it is truly outstanding. What makes it so special is the fact that it is – an aquatic!

It has a dark and smoky appeal which comes not only from the vetiver, but from the smoky tobacco base note that shows up right from the beginning. It resembles a little the style of Myrrhe Ardente. However, it is the aquatic note in it that provides a disturbing contrast. Don't be afraid: none of the well known synthetic freshness notes that spoil so many mid-priced aquatics is contained here. Annick Goutal describes this note as "hint of iodine".

This iodine does not meet the usual expectations. It is more salty than fresh. And together with the smokiness and greenness of the tobacco and vetiver, it is far away from any idea of mediterrean summer holidays. This Vétiver is an aquatic of the north – it has the grey shades of of Iceland's vulcanic landscapes, the grandness of the Norwegian fjords, and of course, the scantiness of the coasts of Scotland. The iodine flavor gives you the idea of spindrift - froth and rocks on a stormy day. It's music would be the Peer Gynt Suite and Mendelssohn-Bartholdy's Ouverture “The Hebrids”. If you enjoy this vetiver, sit down and have a tumbler of the smokiest Islay malt whiskey you can get while listening and smelling!

Only one thing will remind you that this perfume does not come from any of those northern countries – it's true elegance stands for the very best of French perfumery.

I had first met Annick Goutal's Vétiver many years ago, long before my passion for perfume started. Somehow I found this was a ladies' fragrance (which it is not) – probably because of the perfect composition. And despite its rough and smoky aspects it is nevertheless classy and elegant. I still think it would be a great choice for a lady who wants an unsweet, tart fragrance that nevertheless provides the grandness and respectability of the great classy florals – only by completely different means.

Annick Goutal's Vétiver is partly discontinued. It had to give way to the soft and harmless fig leaf fragrance Ninfeo. You will not find Vétiver in the shops, but it still is available directly at Annick Goutale*s online store. I am not sure if this is planned for long, or if they are just selling off their stock – let's hope for the best. Annick Goutal recommends their perfumes for layering with each other. To give it a more oriental touch, I think, Myrrhe Ardente would surely be a good partner.

Annick Goutal's most unusual Vétiver would be a big loss for our perfume culture if it really was completely discontinued. Nobody should have to die before receiving a sample of it!

KimJongKimJong 8 months ago
Smokey damp vetiver. One of my favorite vetivers. I can't get this anymore so I use the remaining bottle very sparingly.

by Josch
by Josch
by MrFumejunkie
by MrFumejunkie
by Hofnärrin
by Hofnärrin

Popular Goutal

Ambre Fétiche (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Encens Flamboyant (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Nuit Etoilée (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Sables by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Parfum) / Hadrien Absolu by Goutal Ninfeo Mio by Goutal Mandragore Pourpre by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Duel by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Ambre Sauvage by Goutal Rose Absolue by Goutal Eau du Sud by Goutal Heure Exquise by Goutal Vanille Exquise by Goutal Bois d'Hadrien by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Vanille Charnelle by Goutal Myrrhe Ardente (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Songes (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Eau de Monsieur (2013) by Goutal Nuit Étoilée (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal