Sun Moon Stars 1994 Eau de Toilette

Sun Moon Stars (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld
Bottle Design Karl Lagerfeld, Susan Wacker
Sun Moon Stars (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Karl Lagerfeld for women and was released in 1994. The scent is floral-oriental. It was last marketed by Elizabeth Arden. Pronunciation

Sophia Grojsman

Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnationCarnation
HeliotropeHeliotrope
Orris rootOrris root
JasmineJasmine
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
Orange blossomOrange blossom
OrchidOrchid
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber
MuskMusk
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla
CedarCedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 08.09.2021.

Chewing gum dome(show)
"Sun Moon Stars" is a (especially from today's perspective) quite humorous-playful Lagerfeld perfume from the 90s. Powdery, fruity, bubble gum galore.

Synthetic, potent, but never really sticky. Already high quality enough. Today, you almost expect something like this more from the niche. Strawberry vibes, can be annoying. But I like it tongue-in-cheek and romantically naive. A starry sky full of make-up, full of daring, full of womanhood. Explosive and almost exotic these days. Good. But I understand every averse nose.

Flacon: rather Dali than Lagerfeld
Sillage: prominent-potent
Durability: 9 hours, many certainly almost too long

Conclusion: a powdery Bubblegumbrummer - polarizing, then as now. But at least daring and something ahead of its time.
Puderperle
When the firmament chews gum
Sweet 19 I was when I first encountered this perfume in the drugstore. I was drawn to the beautiful bottle, which I turned in my hands for a long time and marveled at it. Deep dark blue glass with sun, moon and stars. The gold matte-glossy lid gave it that oriental magic. I wanted that one. I went by the logic of "If the bottle is pretty, then the fragrance can only be good!" At the time, the 100 ml was almost free. Several bottles I emptied.

At the time, I wore almost waist-length, light blond hair, thickened with what felt like two kilos of extensions, the natural summer tan further enhanced by self-tanner. Golden cowboy boots, golden chintzy accessories and a golden leather jacket. Stand out at any cost. "More is more", according to this belief, I also bathed in the contents of the beautiful flacon, the fragrance that announced me already 15 km in advance and kept uninvited guests at a distance.

So I strolled through Milan on a weekend trip. How proud I was to travel to the city of fashion and do some Windowshopping at the designer shops. Moreover, I marveled at how the real designer pieces punctuated their elegance with a certain minimalism that I didn't appreciate at the time. Old photos still remind me of that time and what perfume accompanied me there.
(I apologize at this point to the Italian city of fashion if it needs to air through to this day after my visit. My friends have already forgiven me.)

What immediately intrigued me about this perfume was the intense floral rush with a bubblegum note in the head and heart that I can't really place. There are one or two manufacturers who "tried" to copy the fragrance, however, I miss that bubblegum there that makes it so unique. Orchid, rose, jasmine, orange blossom. Pleasant sweetness. I can't define the fruits listed. It seems clear and coherent, despite the loud floral concert. The recognition value makes it an exotic. The sillage is room filling and strong. The scent lingers on clothes for several days after application. For an eau de toilette sensational.

Becoming an adult also has its advantages. One becomes more mature and is more responsible with his perfume dosage and the attentiveness in this regard to the fellow. I have understood that less can be more.

Despite the super duper drugstore offerings, I eventually got sick of my former signature scent because my nose didn't notice it myself. My surroundings breathed a grateful sigh of relief.

When I noticed that it had already been discontinued, I was overcome with melancholy and had to hunt again to test whether I still liked it. An opened 30 ml bottle was already traded at an outrageous price. It overcame me a regret, how wasteful I have dealt with the valuable Wässerchen at that time.
When I held this 30 ml bottle in my hands and sprayed it on, the old love sparked to new fire. Yes, I still love it, or rather love it again. The break did us good.

I'm older, realized that the battle against natural paleness cannot be won with self-tanner and excessive sunbathing. I quietly said thank you goodbye to opulent accessories and hair extensions years ago.
Sun Moon Stars, however, has remained timeless and beautiful. And still adapts today to new circumstances.

One spray is enough. It carries me on a balmy summer night in the distant fairy tale flowerland in the Orient, where the sun, moon and stars at night, -when everyone is asleep- make a betting game. I sway in the firmament in my golden cowboy boots and try to win the bet for the biggest bubble gum bubble until dawn.

Thank you to my favorite perfumer, Sophia Grojsman, for this unique gift to all who appreciate this treasure.

P.S. Grojsmann's Diamonds and Rubies by Eliszabeth Taylor comes pretty close to this scent, but here the gum has been swapped for lipstick
Velvety powder cloud
My evergreen, my feel-good fragrance, my return fragrance - all this and much more is Sun Moon Stars by Karl Lagerfeld for me.
I am not one of those who can always sniff out the individual scent components, but the overall composition is simply a pleasantly soft, velvety powdery, cloud-like and yet woody-warm snuggling up for me. Not too heavy, not too sweet, not too powdery, not too fruity, but just the right combination of everything.
A fragrance that has also made other noses sniff again and again and which is timeless for me.
A wonderful legacy from Karl Lagerfeld!

Sun Moon Stars by Karl Lagerfeld: Adieu, mon amour
Karl Lagerfeld's Sun Moon Stars was my signature scent for years, from the year of it's release when I was gifted a generous 3+ ounce bottle that Christmas. I fell immediately in love.
This is a gorgeous fragrance, very complex, long-lasting, undeniably and unashamedly FEMININE (yes, all caps required).
Of course, it's been discontinued, which is a profound tragedy.
I have two full 1.7 ounce bottles and a rare parfum mini that I will use on rare ocassion given it's DC status.
In the meantime, for regular use as a replacement, I wear one of two Elizabeth Taylor fragrances: Diamonds and Sapphires (the fruitier body-double for SMS) or Diamonds and Rubies (the spicier of the two doppleganger scents), both of which are exceedingly attainable and affordable.
C'est la Vie, my beloved Sun Moon Stars, I will always love you.

Lacrimae rerum...
For the moon never beams, without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise, but I feel the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;

Her name was not Annabel Lee, but the one which exemplifies beauty since antiquity and brought Troy to its knees. And I guess her sparkling aura was the sun missing from E.A.Poe's immortal elegy.

And now she's gone...

The lodestar of five wonderful years of my life has stopped twinkling. And the perfume which was once the epitome of immense tenderness and fearless devotion has now become a lachrymose memento mori.

She was living in Sweden for some years now. I believe she somehow belonged there, for, despite coming from the easternmost part of the Mediterranean, she was a tall blond green-eyed Valkyrie.

I still remember the day when she stormed our tiny appartment some 20 years ago, looking forward to show me her newfound objet d'art. She was like a night witch caught red-handed in broad daylight with a blue sphere of rather questionable intents in her hands. I couldn't help but admit that what she was holding looked and smelled so very beautiful, but still, I asked her what was it that she found so irresistible about it.

"First of all its name keeps my alien heart dreaming. Then, I love the idea of holding a tiny cerulean cosmos in my hand and be its ruly queen. Oh, and this is where I shall be roaming when I'll leave this planet...in a hundred years from now."

She left at 42, 80 years short of her giggling expectation. I guess she could no longer resist the skies beckoning her.

She fought bravely till the end.

I sank in a corner, rerunning the reel of our time together in the theatre of my mind. Drowsy mornings, lazy noons, wistful evenings, tender nights, quirky days, sweet cravings, hilarious fights, all reeking with Sun, Moon, Stars, the perfume she loved the most. I won't label it as her signature, for her true signature was her mere existence, knocking silly my enamoured heart. When I raised my head anew the night had already began to unfold its inky, condoling tentacles all around me. I can't recall another time of my life being spent in such an "idle" way but I guess I can't recall such a cataclysmic downpour of memories either.

I sprayed some of her tiny cosmos on me and hit the streets, melting in the warm Greek summer night that she will never feel again. I'm sure she'd never want me to shed a tear for her, but this is her only wish that I find impossible to grant.

Farewell my beautiful sköldmö. Please don't be sad that hereafter my gothic heart shall always be a little more gothic forevermore. I hope you'll find peace someplace between Mount Olympus and Valhalla. Someplace amongst Suns...Moons...Stars...

One of Sophia Grojsman's sweet&strong super-scents for Karl
Do you remember "KL" by Lagerfeld? It used to compete with "Opium" - and imho, it smelled even better than the famous scent by YSL. When you look at the list of perfumes launched by Lagerfeld, there are only a few which really made it to the top. "Chloé" from 1977, his very first fragrance, is still available, but was reformulated. And then there is "Sun Moon Stars", marketed by Coty and still more or less the same as it used to be when it was first released in 1994 - twenty years ago. Clearly a 90's creation composed by Sophia Grojsman. She did "Eternity", "Trésor", "Beautiful", "Sotto Voce", "Lalique de Lalique", "Kashaya Kenzo", "True Love" (Arden) and YSL's famous "Paris"- plus "Yvresse/Champagne", also by YSL.
All the fragrances I mentioned here are strong and so is "Sun Moon Stars". Actually, it's simply a matter of whether powerful, multi-facetted flowery fragrances appeal to you or not. If they do, give "Sun Moon Stars" a try. Of course, the smell of "Sun Moon Stars" comes a bit as a shock when you compare it to transparent, light creations of the 2000's years. "Sun, Moon, Stars" is a potent cocktail, sweet and somehow artificial, especially in the beginning when the top notes explode with pineapple, peach and rose. The heart offers a floral firework which I can't really analyze with my nose: carnation, orris root, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, orange blossom, orchid... - brash and bright, very sirupy and quite gourmand.
Not many women feel comfortable in "Sun Moon Stars", but it is a fragrance with long-lasting presence and it does smell pretty unique! Under its sweet exterior, there is an infiltrating, seductive side that only a genius like Sophia Grojsman was able to create. Still the best Lagerfeld-scent on the market since the discontinuation of "KL".

The name says it!
Sun Moon Stars is a perfectly apt name for this lovely perfume.

It is a red and purple scent at the same time with the white note of rice brilliantly yummy in the middle.

For me the peach, rice, pineapple, and the freesia dominate the top notes. The addition of rice, I think, is what made this perfume incredibly unique and almost edible from the first spritz.

The heart is sweet floral notes lead by heady carnation and true jasmine.

The sandalwood and vanilla in the base notes make a gourmand finish.

Sillage and projection is excellent. You also may need to go light on the dose since it is a very strong scent. With this perfume, you WILL be noticed!

Make sure to test first to ensure skin chemistry since it is quite the rich olfactory cocktail.

I see this as a "special occasion" or "romantic" perfume rather than everyday/general/office use.

Crossed it off my list
I *finally* laid my hands on a sample vial of SMS after resisting a blind buy for the last few months. Boy am I glad I resisted. This floral is definitely not for me.

On me, the opening is very synthetic. At first, the aldehydes reek havoc, then the jasmine gets cloying. A fruit-floral-woods progression is absent. I faintly smell a powdery wonderfulness and occasionally get visions of dancing daffodils, but it's not enough for me to give SMS another chance, even if it smells great on paper.

I just don't have the chemistry required for Sophia Grojsman's blends. If you're like that too, you might just save yourself some trouble and cross SMS off your test list.

A Forgotten Beauty
I smell the comparison to Eternity, but to my nose this is CK-Eternity with a hint of candy and a softer and more sensual dry down. Where CK-Eternity is very citrusy and loud, Sun Moon Stars is more softer and powdery. Perfect for those who like it more sensual and not in your face, or who adore CK-Eternity and like to have two different versions. I have both, and use them according to mood. And the bottle is very pretty which is always a bonus.

Because Sun Moon Stars has been on the market since the early nineties, and is an acquired taste (I guess?) its been forgotten by most. This suits me just fine, when I wear it, hardly anybody smells like me. That the price has dropped to a steal makes it also very desirable.

A classic that is underrated and is just as pretty as the bottle when your chemistry and nose agree. A pretty and affordable keeper.
2.5

Sun Moon Sun Stars
K.L Sun Moon Stars is like a strange Bird cannot decide
if i like nor love The opening has a sparkling anise
opening S.M.S has a similar Banana note stands prominent
Like D&G's Sicily but it's doesn't give an syrupy
cloying effect like Sicily; Sun Moon Stars is dried and
more ozonic touch; Red Orchids swim around juicy Peach
Gives an Intoxicating Aroma airy Freesia dries with a
dreamlike and lucent feel closes the top layer.
Heliotrope similar to the scent of Vanilla opens
the Heart of Sun Moon Stars; Rain soaked Narcissus
Gives out a darkly sweet scent almost like a mystery
The Drydown turns sweet with Vanilla which dominates
the other notes from the base seems to drown them
a bit but i can dectect a faint amount of Amber.

by GothicHeart
...war über viele Jahre mein einziger Duft.
by Tribu
by Arlufkin
by Sunamoon
by Sunamoon

Popular Karl Lagerfeld

KL (Parfum) by Karl Lagerfeld KL (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld KL Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld Lagerfeld Classic / Lagerfeld (1978) (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld Photo (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Bois de Vétiver by Karl Lagerfeld Jako (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Fleur d'Orchidée by Karl Lagerfeld Karleidoscope by Karl Lagerfeld Kapsule Floriental  by Karl Lagerfeld Karl Lagerfeld by Karl Lagerfeld Kapsule Woody by Karl Lagerfeld Karl Paris 21 Rue Saint-Guillaume by Karl Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Bois de Cèdre by Karl Lagerfeld Karl Tokyo Shibuya by Karl Lagerfeld Lagerfeld Femme by Karl Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Fleur de Mûrier by Karl Lagerfeld Karl New York Mercer Street by Karl Lagerfeld Private Klub pour Homme by Karl Lagerfeld Lagerfeld Man (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld