Lagerfeld ClassicLagerfeld 1978Eau de Toilette

Version from 1978
Lagerfeld Classic / Lagerfeld (1978) (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld
Bottle Design Marc Rosen
Lagerfeld Classic is a perfume by Karl Lagerfeld for men and was released in 1978. The scent is spicy-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It was last marketed by Coty.

Ron Winnegrade

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Tarragon, Green notes, Clary sage, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris root, Jasmine, Patchouli, Rose, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 17.10.2020.

... the original cattle
Those who don't know this disco stench of the 80s will experience its blue wonder when they sniff the good old Lagerfeld Classic for the first time. Basically, it has very little to do with what is known as perfume today. It's hard to describe this cross between furniture polish, Jägermeister and baby powder. The fragrances up here in the listing already read like the Ulan Bator telephone book. You have to experience it, no one wears something like that anymore. This is retro in its purest form. Lagerfeld on it, into the Ascona and off into the pinball hall. And in addition to all the memories, the EDT also brings a good performance. Whoever thinks that this drone will go away after a few hours has cut himself a lot. It stays until the next shower. Yes, the smell is very strange and takes some getting used to. But somehow so interesting and different. You smell extremely good, even though you stink. In the 80s, Lagerfeld Classic was certainly involved in many procreations. You never forget that smell. Unfortunately, some reformulations have been made on this relic of past parties. Nevertheless the old Lagerfeld still has it. I am totally into Space Invaders, Casio watches and cars without airbags. And that includes Lagerfeld. Period. Unfortunately, it is now being sold in discount stores. When he broke the 15 Euro mark during an eviction, I got the stock for life. Yes, good old Karl. His clothes were already borderline, but with this perfume, he was completely off his rocker back then. Nowadays LC fits the cold season pretty good. He still fits into the disco (Ü30) quite well and pushes the one million loosely into the corner. But beware: Women have completely different noses nowadays :)

Ambient spice...
I do like this one, a lot. I think if you are just getting into fragrances, this one might take you by surprise. This fragrance shows you why the scents made in the 1970's were in a class of their own. Karl Lagerfeld - Classic is a soft oriental full of amber, vanilla, carnation and spice. I get nutmeg, carnation, patchouli, all combined with a sweet, almost syrupy amber with vanilla and creamy sandalwood. I even get a hint of 'candied orange' in the beginning.

I do see how this scent belongs to a certain era. I find it very playful and almost borderline gourmand in it's vibe. I find it has good projection, sillage and longevity (many eau de toilette concentrations from the 1970's and 1980's were stronger than they are today).

I also see this as being unisex, so a confidant woman could certainly pull this off. I would recommend this for mature noses and generally for people who are well-seasoned in vintage perfumes. They don't make 'em like they used to!

I think that this fragrance, like many of it's peers, could be released today and it would be a niche unisex scent. All the more special that this is widely available as it is. The closest male fragrance I can think of comparing it to would be Aramis - JHL. Having said that, this is lighter, more playful and overall more versatile and fun. I love it!
When the Price is your Love
it's 1 - 2 - 3 you run
it's so hard for you to love someone
just when we're getting closer
that's the lyrics of Lori Bianco's song When the Price ist your Love.

But let's get down to business.
During my short vacation in Austria I got myself the Lagerfeld Classic for a very reasonable price
and I wasn't disappointed.

As mentioned above the price is the hammer just like the fragrance.
For this price range you don't get a high quality fragrance like LC.

It's definitely a powerhouse fragrance like it was in the late 70's early 80's.

The bottle. Noble Puristic Elegant with the orange color

The top note begins with me rather fresh with notes of aldehyde, nutmeg sage, green notes and a hint of lemon.

The heart note gets warmer with rose sandalwood and a very nice tobacco note which is also noticed by me to the end.

At the end of the fragrance, the tonka bean, the amber and the tobacco note are joined by a very noble vanilla note.

Shelf life is insane. 8 - 10 hours on my neck.

Fragrance is suitable for every occasion if it is dosed sparingly.
It has always been perceived positively by me until now.
Shelf life 10 points
Bottle 9 points
Sillage 10 points
Scent gets from me full 10 points

Thanks for reading
When the price is your love
Aunt Rosa
Karl Lagerfeld was always a striking grand seigneur with decided views. So what's with "Aunt Rosa"? More about this later.

Let's first get straight to the fragrance, which I astonishingly tasted for the first time:

Alcoholised sage with traces of tarragon, no lemon, sparing green to start with and first powdery hints. The heart note is not long in coming: sweet creamy roses reminiscent of a lady in her small, elegant villa from distant times. Significantly for me, this lady was called Aunt Rosa. I put up with feminine reminiscences of this kind. And who does not like pleasant associations from the past?
Like already some predecessors also the appearance of actually absent Lavendels appears to me. It continues to be quite flowery and creamy. A little bit of bitter, a little bit more quiet, also patchouli, everything closely connected. Can a smoker perceive the tobacco content? I certainly can't. In the transition to the base, the blossom sweetness increases once more to merge into balsamic softness on mossy ground.

Obviously the Lagerfeld Classic is not a classic masculine fragrance for me. I don't perceive spicy, herbaceous, striking. I want to wear it when I'm in a soft and dreamy mood, unless that 'Crème De Rose' in the arms of an amber patchouli dreamy mood is the last thing that creates that mood in me.
Amber Anise Tarragon Wood Powder
Strategic, conceptual, substantial, headstrong, retrospective, futuristic, intellectual, chic, creative, erotic, controversial, disciplined, selfish, German and a little bit perverse - Karl Lagerfeld ( Classic ). A lot of attributes for a lot of fragrance.

Steal fom some of the best of a whole century: Armani Classic/Azzaro pH (Herbs, Orange, Spices, Flowers, Aldehydes, Anise, Amber), Knize Ten/ Trumper Spanish Leather (Gasoline, Indol, Wood, Leather, Sandal), Royal Copenhagen/Jovan Musk (Powder, Honey, Iris). I find all these scents in KLC, which was also able to create something absolutely independent out of them. There are many excellent scents that are classy. And there are many outstanding fragrances that are sexy, but I don't know anyone who likes to combine both so iconic.
I personally like the Interparfum Edit (I don't smell synthetic) better than the original. This brings the herb, anise, amber aspect more into the foreground and still retains the original vibe fully. Except for the oak moss, that is gone, which seems to me a bit old-fashioned and rough, but also kept the sweetness nicely in check here, which is now a little more pronounced due to the omission. It's certainly due to my personal preference, but KLC is for me one of the most provocative fragrances for ladies I know.
But I had to go through half a century to discover it for myself, sometimes, or very rarely, he needs his certain moments.
If KL had been a rather unknown niche designer, this perfume would be considered one of the most obscure today. In contrast, even Salvador Dali pH is rather unobtrusive.
His, respectively Lagerfeld's corresponding overpopularity in the eighties has, I think, damaged the scent very much.
PS: Dosage is everything here. Two shallow sprays are just right, super classy, dry, magnetic, sexy and chic. Every quantum beyond that seems vulgar (downright stupid), gelatinized and oily (Opoponax, Tonka) - keyword: the greasy taxi driver.
I don't know any stronger EDT than KLC and I know a few - it's strong like a perfume Concentree.

Homage to a Brilliant Man
Karl Lagerfeld had worked for Jean Patou, Cloe, Krizia, Valentino and Fendi as a designer. He also worked as the design director for Chanel from 1982 to 2000, being responsible for bringing the near-dead brand back to life as well as creating the CC monograph of Coco Chanel into a style pattern for the house that we see today. He had also began his own Karl Lagerfeld brand, which was established to channel "intellectual sexiness". Karl worked with Fendi until his death last month, at the age of 85.

When I had read the news of his passing, I realized that I had never tried the Karl Lagerfeld fragrances. I was able to find a 50 ml bottle of Lagerfeld Classic at a drug store (Walgreens) in the US for $25.

The opening notes gives me a slightly soapy citrus and herbal notes. Very reminiscent of 80's classics. After a short time I begin to get a woody dusty floral with tobacco highlight. I am really enjoying this part, and then it gets even better! A strong (but not too strong) musk with an oriental sweetness begins to develop not long after the heart notes come into play, which stay until the end.

To my nose, the musk really stands out. Personally, I do not like overbearing animalic musk, but the musk note in Lagerfeld Classic is very enjoyable coupled with the other notes, especially the tobacco, and oriental. This fragrance smells very sexy.

This will last over 12 hours on your skin and wears best during Spring, Autumn and Winter.

Although this fragrance is intended for men, women will enjoy this one as well.

An expensive smelling fragrance at an inexpensive price. A must have for any collection or for a lover of musk.

9/10
The King is Death
The king is death, long live the king!
Unfortunately it will not be so easy to replace Karl the Great at Chanel.
With Im went a very great, a doer one with visions and always the heart on the tongue!
He was not a round sucked parrot who said what others wanted to hear!
Now we come to the fragrance...there was no disco or club at the beginning of the 80ies...cinema loge where you didn't meet a flood of Lagerfeld.
Mostly totally overdosed!
Some thought a lot helps a lot...but at Lagerfeld it was like this...one hub too many and you were on the verge of fainting
nevertheless Lagerfeld is a fragrance with a high recognition value, a classic...a fragrance with a clear edge...just like its eponym!
The king is death, long live the king!
God have him sellig... Karl
Bob2020
Smell of my youth. It's a nice memory.
Lagerfeld. I wore the scent from 16 to 20 years of age. After Davidoff's Cool Water was quickly over me after initial enthusiasm, I switched to Lagerfeld. Never regretted it.

What we have not all experienced together. At that time I was fast and also often in love with the girls. A wild time, a lot of joy but also tears when a love broke. It changed everything, sometimes, way too fast. Lagerfeld was always there. The only constant at that time. So intense, so warm, so uncompromising "delicious". Even the gait was different when you wore Lagerfeld :D Simply beautiful.

I remember that at that time I always sprayed my letters with Lagerfeld. The girls already knew that the mail from me was there before they opened the mailbox :D Not many did that, because the effect of this measure was strong again and again. There was no WhatsApp and no texting back then. Letters were important. Yes, Lagerfeld was my key to the ladies' world. For this I am quite grateful to this fragrance.

Today I see Lagerfeld in the discount store, at the checkout, next to the razor blades. It always makes me a little wistful and I think: you don't deserve that, you old warhorse, you primal stone of men's fragrances. But on the other hand, it's not so bad that it's so cheap today. Maybe he will help one or the other young lad to make his first experiences with love. Although I don't know what it's like to be young today. Maybe Lagerfeld is "too old" today. Even though you can't spray it on a whatsapp message, a try for the young gentlemen of that time is definitely worth Lagerfeld. And for me and for many others a wonderful memory.
a classic
Old and really good - maybe not mainstream at the moment, but that's how this fragrance has character - a classic, a very good one!

Old school, new pleasures
Congratulations to Karl Lagerfeld for the inspiration to create this fragrance and to mantain it on the market since 1978.
I bought Lagerfeld Classic quite recently so I'll just have the current formulation in my mind.
- It opens with aldehydes and a strong unusual orange note (Citrus + Tarragon = Orange?), Well, it smells like a plesant strong zesty sweet boozy Orange.
- Then you notice three musketeers in action, Tonka + Vanilla + Amber dueling with Tobacco. What a divine scent. It's very lively in the begining and slowly it calms down as the time goes by... and it lasts and lasts and lasts...
Eight hours went by and I still have a faint projection in the back of my hand (just 1 spray) and a marvelous skin scent.
Comments:
Due to its well tamed sweetness, I imagine that this fragrance may as well be considered as unisex, I can picture this magificent powdry sweet Vanilla-Amber-Sweet Tobacco dry down on a woman's skin,

My rates for Karl Lagerfeld for men:
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Scent opening: 8.0 (unusual but pleasant)
Scent drydown: 8.5 (very pleasant)
Longevity: 9.0 (above average for the existing notes and close to beasty)
Sillage: 8.0 (6 feet at its peak with just 1 spray)
Uniqueness: 9.0 (quite unique blending, considering the existing fragrances that I am aware of; Nobody was able - or care to - to copy it in the past 40 years)
Wearability: 9.0 (close to 4 seasons, day or night with the exception of extreame cold or heat)
Versatility: 9.0 (yes to clubbing, socializing, events, restaurants... and yes to dates, romancing, sex, office, picnics, weaddings, movies, birthday gift to your father in law... no to workout and beach!)
Compliments: 8.0 (not bad for an old school; younger people will say is outdated; older people will love it; everybody loves the zesty opening)
Quality: 8.0 (my judgement)
Presentation: 8.0 (simple but effective; very good sprayer)
Price: 9.0 (100 ml tester for 18 Euros + VAT + shipping)
Overall rating: 8.50/10.00
- between 7 and 8 =above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recomended;
- bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Yes, it's super old school but it's also super pleasant. Not advisable if you are commited only to fresh, sweet. modern "blue" scents. Otherwise it's a must!

Music: Phil Collins - "In The Air Tonight"

Rolk70Rolk70 78 days ago
How I long to get my nose on this again. It has been over 30 years.
ElysiumElysium 8 months ago
Ain't sweet, far from it, it's a very amber and dusty accord, and it's not openly green like its peers of that time such as Krizia Uomo.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 16 months ago
After an orange zesty opening, you notice three musketeers in action, Tonka + Vanilla + Amber dueling with Tobacco. What a divine scent!
KingPinKingPin 20 months ago
2.5
Used it as young. Tried it again just now. Nope. Doesn’t work as it used to. Or as teen daughter said: “What is this monstrosity?!”.

Schatz, ich glaube wir schaffen's nicht bis zur Foto-Challenge ... das Parfum so schwer, der Photoshop fern___ Er: egal, mach weiter
by Fresh21
by Mustang69
by Mustang69
Marmor in seiner - für mich - schönsten Farbe.
by Pistazieneis
Der meteorologische Herbst hat begonnen...
Die Lager-Feld-Früchte sind reif
by Michael
by Lullaby
by Lullaby

Popular Karl Lagerfeld

KL (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld KL (Parfum) by Karl Lagerfeld KL Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld Photo (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Bois de Vétiver by Karl Lagerfeld Jako (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld Sun Moon Stars (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld Karleidoscope by Karl Lagerfeld Kapsule Floriental  by Karl Lagerfeld Kapsule Woody by Karl Lagerfeld Karl Lagerfeld by Karl Lagerfeld Private Klub pour Homme by Karl Lagerfeld Lagerfeld Femme by Karl Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Fleur d'Orchidée by Karl Lagerfeld Lagerfeld Man (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Bois de Cèdre by Karl Lagerfeld Paradise Bay by Karl Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Fleur de Mûrier by Karl Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Fleur de Pêcher by Karl Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Bois de Yuzu by Karl Lagerfeld