Lagerfeld Classic Lagerfeld 1978 Eau de Toilette

Version from 1978
Lagerfeld Classic / Lagerfeld (1978) (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld
Bottle Design Marc Rosen
Lagerfeld Classic is a perfume by Karl Lagerfeld for men and was released in 1978. The scent is spicy-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It was last marketed by Coty.

Ron Winnegrade

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydesAldehydes BergamotBergamot TarragonTarragon Green notesGreen notes Clary sageClary sage LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris rootOrris root JasmineJasmine PatchouliPatchouli RoseRose SandalwoodSandalwood TobaccoTobacco CedarCedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber OakmossOakmoss MuskMusk Tonka beanTonka bean VanillaVanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 18.05.2022.

Dated YES, Barbershopy YES, Masterpiece YES
One of the scents that started my collection. So strong and potent, but really oldfashioned already. Mainly tobacco-ambery, very dense, strong projecting and longlasting powerhouse. But it`s era is gone. Only for collectors in my opinion.
Season - cold days, really cold.
Age - definetily over 40, maybe even 50.
Occasion - nowadays honestly don`t know. Maybe if you participate in retro party or so.
I wear it only in cold winter at home just because i am curious and i am in the mood of chalenging scent.
My bottle is 150ml, enough to the day of my retirement ha ha ha.
Mature Dendy Man Scent!

Great affordable amber
Lagerfeld Classic by Karl Lagerfeld was created by Ron Winnegrad and was launched in 1978. Not only it is one of the best cost-efficient amber fragrances on the market, but it’s also the one that had endured passing trends.

I feel like many of the perfumes from the powerhouse era of the 1970s, and 1980s, just smell plainly dated and feel like empty shells of their former glory days. But, not this vintage gem.

One thing that made late Karl Lagerfeld a different fashion designer from the rest of the crowd is a well-known fact about his personal involvement in creating designs for his perfume bottles. Yes, he designed this one as well.

Now, what does Lagerfeld Classic smell like? I know that younger generations may get an impression o their dad or grandpa’s perfume as soon as they get the first sniff of this magnificent composition, but I disagree.

Lagerfeld opens up orangy aldehydes that lift up the scent and give airy transparency that sits as the blanket over everything else in the first couple of minutes.

The magical opening continues into the middle notes, where you are welcomed with honied and powdery amber, that feels rich, three-dimensional, and verges on the unisex side of the specter.

But the best is left at the end, and oh my God, is it gorgeous. I didn’t want you to feel scared of wearing something from the ’70s, but after a couple of wears, you will start to notice a strange “funk”, even at the first spray. I know I asked myself what is that note just outside my reach of getting what it really is, and it hit me.

That funk is a combination of musks, leather, ambers, and dried tobacco.

*Check out my Parfumo profile to find out how can you read full reviews on my website.*

A Genius Creation
Lagerfeld Classic is a gorgeous soft brown leather, spicy orange and tobacco masterpiece of the art. Hopefully it will never be discontinued again. I highly recommend to all enthusiasts with a word of advice, wear it sparingly or spray under the shirt because it is a beast!
MrOllium
The shower gel of the 80's ...
Preface:
I am (unfortunately) not a poet.

Nostalgic babble:
It was in the early 80's when my cousin's brother-in-law had a Porsche 924.
We were allowed to ride in the back when it went to the ice cream cafe Giancarlo...and felt so cool.
Afterwards, Rainer (the brother-in-law) infected us with musical viruses on his Revox stereo.
Nina Hagen, Klaus Nomi, Zeltinger Band, Ideal, Marius Müller Westernhagen and Kraftwerk.
I just wonder if it was already then Rainer, who wore Lagerfeld?

Then finally 15 and with the moped around the houses düsen.
At that time we still celebrated parties in the basement bars of parents...and here comes

Lagerfeld Classic

finally comes into play. Before it went on the "role", was properly bathed in Lagerfeld.
Then off into the turmoil of the fete and "Amaretto apple juice", "Blue Angel" and "Pernod Cola" til the number of people had doubled.
Now, as I write these lines...I just think whether the headache the next day really came from the alcohol ? Or rather from the bottle of "Lagerfeld" the buddies and I had sprayed over us ?
Inliner ? Firlefanz ... at that time we are in the roller disco with the roller skates, because the wheels were not yet arranged in a row ... then off on the skateboard.
Popper, Punker, Waver, Grufties ... i was something of everything but nothing really.

What has remained? When I sprayed today, after almost 40 years, Lagerfeld Classic again...were immediately the 80's and my youth there. A flood of images of memories.
Probably influenced me the memory in my opinion of this fragrance,
but I think that is justifiable.

I find Lagerfeld classic lives up to its name and is still super wearable today.
At least for those who like it spicy/oriental and masculine.
Nowadays, the unisex fragrances seem to be on the rise and few dare to stand a properly projecting fragrance to wear.
And who thinks the fragrance would be too "old school" or only what for "old farts", I must teach a better.
My daughter (22) found the fragrance right away super...so much for that ;-)

To the fragrance:
I find the, designed by Karl, flacon classic and timelessly beautiful.
Unfortunately, the metal cap at the time was replaced by a plastic cap.
Lagerfeld starts fresh for me with the bergamot and lemon and one recognizes him imho on the first spray.
Then comes something slightly floral in the background through and at the same time he radiates for me more and more pleasant and powdery warmth.
In addition then a sweet tobacco note, for me the actual DNA of the fragrance.
Who has a hard time with the prelude...should give it about an hour.
If it still does not fit, then you will not be friends ;-)
As for H/S, I still think it's above average.

I love Lagerfeld dearly and could sniff it all the time.
Surely one can debate whether Lagerfeld deserves such a high rating !?
In my transfigured eyes, definitely.
Acknowledgements:
Thanks to Rainer, Frank, Heiko, Rolf, Wolle, Bert, Carsten...and all the others.
Beautiful was the youth ... and remains unforgotten with this fragrance.
Ponticus
The fashion czar and disco king is still holding court! Who would have thought it?
1990, Lagerfeld Classic had been on the market for a dozen years by now, had rolled over the Federal Republic of Germany like a scent roller in the 1980s and had captivated many a fine suit wearer in the process. But above all, Lagerfeld Classic had conquered the disco and party floors of the halls saturated with Michael Jackson, Blondie, Nena and Falco music and smelled strong, spicy-oriental from every pore of the mullet wearers in carrot jeans and neon jackets.

At some point, when the province was also conquered and even chest hair toupee, gold chain and socket tan wearing fringe groups had made their experiences, it was too much of a good smell. One of the best perfumes, Lagerfeld Classic, had simply over!

And now? Where to go with all the striking flacons? Of course, in the East! There ran until then the disco and dance evenings at least as enthusiastically as in the "old" Germany. Sure, more alcohol was flowing, but in terms of scent, the majority of people in the former East Germany didn't have much in their quiver apart from soap, green apple shampoo and deodorant. Since the new fragrant land of milk and honey came just right.

To such a bottle Lagerfeld Classic also got the protagonist of our little story in the early 90s. If he had known at that time who Karl Lagerfeld was, a, in his eyes, overcandid fashionista with his stupid fan, a busybody before the Lord and an epitome of arrogant arrogance - he would never have tried Lagerfeld Classic and his life would possibly have been different! Sometimes it was probably quite good that one did not notice everything behind the "iron curtain".

The fragrance was a revelation. The beginning with fresh greens and tart-sweet citrus strongly embeds the quickly emerging woody tobacco notes, which point the way for the long profound, dry-pudgy way into a sweet-marked and very masculine orientalism. This gradually changes, always with a woody underlay, from spicy-warm to vanilla-warm with a beguilingly attractive cuddly tone. An unmistakable, a unique fragrance! Until today!

So detailed, he could not at that time certainly tease apart, but of course he smelled wood, tobacco and vanilla, also herbaceous with fresh spice. However, really important for him was, Lagerfeld Classic smelled of freedom, the big wide world, elegance, wealth, independence, just everything he missed so long. And it didn't stop with the years! While elsewhere disillusionment set in, he wore his scent with his head held high and abundant always and everywhere for many, many years. By now he also knew who Karl Lagerfeld was and what he represented. He still didn't like the person, but liked his scent all the more and was happy and affirmed when he met people who smelled just like him. No thought of mainstream and the like.

Today he also uses other perfumes with different characters and individualities. "One has finally evolved" and also makes thoughts about a perfume and where, how, why and what has to be. None, however, will ever top Karl's classy Lagerfeld. And it's not the fragrance or Karl! It is the wonderful memories and extraordinary experiences of the years, which already bring out emotions in him, if he only gets a glimpse of the typical bottle.

So surely everyone has a fragrance, a thing or a thing in which so much of one's life is contained. And I am very sure that in the end he is very glad not to have known it once!

Thank you very much for letting me entrust this little story to your attention!

... the original cattle
Those who don't know this disco stench of the 80s will experience its blue wonder when they sniff the good old Lagerfeld Classic for the first time. Basically, it has very little to do with what is known as perfume today. It's hard to describe this cross between furniture polish, Jägermeister and baby powder. The fragrances up here in the listing already read like the Ulan Bator telephone book. You have to experience it, no one wears something like that anymore. This is retro in its purest form. Lagerfeld on it, into the Ascona and off into the pinball hall. And in addition to all the memories, the EDT also brings a good performance. Whoever thinks that this drone will go away after a few hours has cut himself a lot. It stays until the next shower. Yes, the smell is very strange and takes some getting used to. But somehow so interesting and different. You smell extremely good, even though you stink. In the 80s, Lagerfeld Classic was certainly involved in many procreations. You never forget that smell. Unfortunately, some reformulations have been made on this relic of past parties. Nevertheless the old Lagerfeld still has it. I am totally into Space Invaders, Casio watches and cars without airbags. And that includes Lagerfeld. Period. Unfortunately, it is now being sold in discount stores. When he broke the 15 Euro mark during an eviction, I got the stock for life. Yes, good old Karl. His clothes were already borderline, but with this perfume, he was completely off his rocker back then. Nowadays LC fits the cold season pretty good. He still fits into the disco (Ü30) quite well and pushes the one million loosely into the corner. But beware: Women have completely different noses nowadays :)

Ambient spice...
I do like this one, a lot. I think if you are just getting into fragrances, this one might take you by surprise. This fragrance shows you why the scents made in the 1970's were in a class of their own. Karl Lagerfeld - Classic is a soft oriental full of amber, vanilla, carnation and spice. I get nutmeg, carnation, patchouli, all combined with a sweet, almost syrupy amber with vanilla and creamy sandalwood. I even get a hint of 'candied orange' in the beginning.

I do see how this scent belongs to a certain era. I find it very playful and almost borderline gourmand in it's vibe. I find it has good projection, sillage and longevity (many eau de toilette concentrations from the 1970's and 1980's were stronger than they are today).

I also see this as being unisex, so a confidant woman could certainly pull this off. I would recommend this for mature noses and generally for people who are well-seasoned in vintage perfumes. They don't make 'em like they used to!

I think that this fragrance, like many of it's peers, could be released today and it would be a niche unisex scent. All the more special that this is widely available as it is. The closest male fragrance I can think of comparing it to would be Aramis - JHL. Having said that, this is lighter, more playful and overall more versatile and fun. I love it!
When the Price is your Love
it's 1 - 2 - 3 you run
it's so hard for you to love someone
just when we're getting closer
that's the lyrics of Lori Bianco's song When the Price ist your Love.

But let's get down to business.
During my short vacation in Austria I got myself the Lagerfeld Classic for a very reasonable price
and I wasn't disappointed.

As mentioned above the price is the hammer just like the fragrance.
For this price range you don't get a high quality fragrance like LC.

It's definitely a powerhouse fragrance like it was in the late 70's early 80's.

The bottle. Noble Puristic Elegant with the orange color

The top note begins with me rather fresh with notes of aldehyde, nutmeg sage, green notes and a hint of lemon.

The heart note gets warmer with rose sandalwood and a very nice tobacco note which is also noticed by me to the end.

At the end of the fragrance, the tonka bean, the amber and the tobacco note are joined by a very noble vanilla note.

Shelf life is insane. 8 - 10 hours on my neck.

Fragrance is suitable for every occasion if it is dosed sparingly.
It has always been perceived positively by me until now.
Shelf life 10 points
Bottle 9 points
Sillage 10 points
Scent gets from me full 10 points

Thanks for reading
When the price is your love
Aunt Rosa
Karl Lagerfeld was always a striking grand seigneur with decided views. So what's with "Aunt Rosa"? More about this later.

Let's first get straight to the fragrance, which I astonishingly tasted for the first time:

Alcoholised sage with traces of tarragon, no lemon, sparing green to start with and first powdery hints. The heart note is not long in coming: sweet creamy roses reminiscent of a lady in her small, elegant villa from distant times. Significantly for me, this lady was called Aunt Rosa. I put up with feminine reminiscences of this kind. And who does not like pleasant associations from the past?
Like already some predecessors also the appearance of actually absent Lavendels appears to me. It continues to be quite flowery and creamy. A little bit of bitter, a little bit more quiet, also patchouli, everything closely connected. Can a smoker perceive the tobacco content? I certainly can't. In the transition to the base, the blossom sweetness increases once more to merge into balsamic softness on mossy ground.

Obviously the Lagerfeld Classic is not a classic masculine fragrance for me. I don't perceive spicy, herbaceous, striking. I want to wear it when I'm in a soft and dreamy mood, unless that 'Crème De Rose' in the arms of an amber patchouli dreamy mood is the last thing that creates that mood in me.
Amber Anise Tarragon Wood Powder
Strategic, conceptual, substantial, headstrong, retrospective, futuristic, intellectual, chic, creative, erotic, controversial, disciplined, selfish, German and a little bit perverse - Karl Lagerfeld ( Classic ). A lot of attributes for a lot of fragrance.

Steal fom some of the best of a whole century: Armani Classic/Azzaro pH (Herbs, Orange, Spices, Flowers, Aldehydes, Anise, Amber), Knize Ten/ Trumper Spanish Leather (Gasoline, Indol, Wood, Leather, Sandal), Royal Copenhagen/Jovan Musk (Powder, Honey, Iris). I find all these scents in KLC, which was also able to create something absolutely independent out of them. There are many excellent scents that are classy. And there are many outstanding fragrances that are sexy, but I don't know anyone who likes to combine both so iconic.
I personally like the Interparfum Edit (I don't smell synthetic) better than the original. This brings the herb, anise, amber aspect more into the foreground and still retains the original vibe fully. Except for the oak moss, that is gone, which seems to me a bit old-fashioned and rough, but also kept the sweetness nicely in check here, which is now a little more pronounced due to the omission. It's certainly due to my personal preference, but KLC is for me one of the most provocative fragrances for ladies I know.
But I had to go through half a century to discover it for myself, sometimes, or very rarely, he needs his certain moments.
If KL had been a rather unknown niche designer, this perfume would be considered one of the most obscure today. In contrast, even Salvador Dali pH is rather unobtrusive.
His, respectively Lagerfeld's corresponding overpopularity in the eighties has, I think, damaged the scent very much.
PS: Dosage is everything here. Two shallow sprays are just right, super classy, dry, magnetic, sexy and chic. Every quantum beyond that seems vulgar (downright stupid), gelatinized and oily (Opoponax, Tonka) - keyword: the greasy taxi driver.
I don't know any stronger EDT than KLC and I know a few - it's strong like a perfume Concentree.

RobbieXRobbieX 10 months ago
A soapy and powdery unique and lovely fragrance. Lasts ages - more a parfum strength. The silage is sublime. It IS a classic - a gem
Rolk70Rolk70 2 years ago
How I long to get my nose on this again. It has been over 30 years.
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
Ain't sweet, far from it, it's a very amber and dusty accord, and it's not openly green like its peers of that time such as Krizia Uomo.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
After an orange zesty opening, you notice three musketeers in action, Tonka + Vanilla + Amber dueling with Tobacco. What a divine scent!
KingPinKingPin 3 years ago
2.5
Used it as young. Tried it again just now. Nope. Doesn’t work as it used to. Or as teen daughter said: “What is this monstrosity?!”.

Schatz, ich glaube wir schaffen's nicht bis zur Foto-Challenge ... das Parfum so schwer, der Photoshop fern___ Er: egal, mach weiter
by Fresh21
by Michael
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin

Popular by Karl Lagerfeld

KL (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld KL (Parfum) by Karl Lagerfeld KL Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld Photo (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Bois de Vétiver by Karl Lagerfeld Jako (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld Sun Moon Stars (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld Kapsule Floriental  by Karl Lagerfeld Karl Paris 21 Rue Saint-Guillaume by Karl Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Bois de Cèdre by Karl Lagerfeld Karleidoscope by Karl Lagerfeld Karl Tokyo Shibuya by Karl Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Fleur d'Orchidée by Karl Lagerfeld Karl Lagerfeld by Karl Lagerfeld Kapsule Woody by Karl Lagerfeld Karl New York Mercer Street by Karl Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Fleur de Mûrier by Karl Lagerfeld Lagerfeld Femme by Karl Lagerfeld Lagerfeld Man (Eau de Toilette) by Karl Lagerfeld Private Klub pour Homme by Karl Lagerfeld