Sancti - Eau Delà 2011

Sancti - Eau Delà by Liquides Imaginaires
Sancti - Eau Delà is a popular perfume by Liquides Imaginaires for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is spicy-fresh. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Sonia Constant

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Mandarin orange, Cypress
Heart Notes Heart NotesCardamom, Coriander, Lavender, Nutmeg, Pink pepper, Rosemary, Fir balsam
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Benzoin, Labdanum, Nutmeg, Myrrh, Patchouli, Vetiver, Frankincense, Cedar

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 18.11.2020.

The scent was first released in 2011 as a limited edition without mentioning the ingredients. Since 2013 it is regularly available as part of the trilogy Eaux Delàs.

my incense self
Always in the deepest and pitch-blackest night it happened that in the small chapel in the forest some shadowy figures, wrapped in frocks, appeared and went into the nearby forest with torches, often carrying a large container in the middle of their grouping. The first time I noticed them by chance was when I couldn't find sleep that night and looked into the darkness from my window. I was living far out in the country at the time, enjoying the silence and solitude. Anyway, that night I saw the bright torchlight at the chapel (was it even one?) and I wondered. Suddenly I saw about twenty figures marching towards the forest and disappearing there. The first time I thought it was a hallucination. Out of curiosity I looked again a few nights later and the spectacle repeated itself.
Now I dared to approach once to see what exactly was going on here. The entrance gate opened, the monks(?) came out of the chapel. A general mantra-like murmuring could be heard. I could not make out any faces, I only saw that all the incense-barrels were waving except for those who were carrying the cauldron.
It smelled strangely. Not sacral at all but rather like a lemon-laden and sublimely complex incense. It wasn't just incense, but spicier; only afterwards did I see the myrrh and understand why the incense didn't smell so clear and bright, but I continued on to the fresh, limey touch.
It was not the case that citrus fruits alone were responsible for the support. Rather they supported the cypress, which was very spicy and limy. In addition, I became aware of a certain peppery pungency, which, however, quickly receded. I had never been allowed to perceive this incense olfactorically. So the procession made its way into the forest and I crept after it, because this dark group of druids and the scent cast a spell on me.
It went deeper down into the fir forest, past well-known paths, down into the branches and darkness. Here it smelled ethereal, I watched some of the crowd as they removed individual needles from the fir trees and then placed them in the large cauldron which, as mentioned, others in the procession carried with the help of a wooden construction.
After some time another fragrance came out of the cauldron; I saw the company stop in a large field in the middle of the forest and pick lavender by torchlight. This balsamic and herbaceous scent was now spreading through the forest. After some time we continued and we were approaching the end of the march.
Finally we had arrived in a kind of dark cave and I crept behind a group of stones to remain undiscovered. Everything was suddenly quiet, the men did not move and I was quite excited. "We have been waiting for you for a long time!" it suddenly echoed and the druids all turned to me. They lifted their robes at their heads and I saw their faces, which startled me very much, for I saw...mine.
Sancti is a fragrance that wants to be conquered. At the first test I disliked it slightly because of the cypress. This is often intense and not directly accessible, it likes to dominate; compare Royal Vintage by Micallef; also citric plus cypress, there only plus leather.
Individual elements such as cardamom or nutmeg are perceptible by feeling, you have these associations in your nose, which you associate with nutmeg, for example, without them appearing dominant but rather seeming to bow to the common good.
It took me some time to appreciate this incense for the warm season. In a way it is like a self-discovery (hence the end) because it requires you to deal with the scent and analyze it. Does the fragrance suit my taste, can and would I wear it? Because incense and citric can be very contradictory and not necessarily compatible. Here, everything has succeeded and makes me curious about the other creations of the brand. Other fragrances have a lighter and uncomplicated aura, but here it is not so.
SiLe93
A homage to holy water - a successful masterpiece
One of the best occidental incense scents, which also pleases the irregular churchgoer. Well-being from the bottle, cleansing and stimulating at the same time. A fragrance that casts a spell on you, that never gets boring and never fails to fascinate

A Well-Scented Ascension
What a fantastic fragrance, and exactly matching my taste!

Sancti – Eau Delà is a dream of iridescent aldehydes, a cool and deep frankincense accord and spicy-citric freshness.

Perfumes with aldehydes are likely to be disdained. Whoever knows Chanel No. 5 will most of all identify this not so romantic denomination with that buttery note which so characteristically stands out from that classic's head notes. Actually, we understand the note aldehydes as a designation for a whole group of chemically related substances, but with different scents. According to my experience these scents range from butter-like to iridescently cool, or: from an opulent oak barrel Chardonnay to a fresh and young Clairette Blanche.

The aldehydes of Sancti have the latter structure. Their iridescent quality evokes pictures in me: a flight through cold heights, racy and dizzying, passing by mighty cumulus clouds that loom in bright white before a deep blue sky.

This “dizzy” fragrance character is supported by a frankincense accord – an accord that with its dry and slender depth points far beyond the must of old church masonry. Herbal and coniferous notes may also play their part in that deepness, or – depending on the point of view – that vertiginous height.

The third party is a combination of citric notes and cardamom which adds an airiness close to suasiveness.

For me, cardamom is a highly interesting note. While often involved, not many perfumers allow the cardamom to distinctly stand out. Citrus Pardisi by Czech & Speake comes to my mind, as well as the supposedly discontinued Millesimé by Ronaldo Esper. With Sancti, we may add another one to this short list.

Whoever breaks open a cardamom pod and crushes its content between the fingers will realise that the ethereal oils will form a peculiar citric impression. Very questionable to speak about a spicy note in a strict sense. I admit it is one of my favourite notes in perfumery. Within the spectrum of citric notes, cardamom takes a very robust stand, similar to grapefruit.

Looking at the aldehydes Sancti may be compared to Neil Morris' Vapor. But whereas that maestro from Boston may have overdone a bit with dizzying the customers, Sancti proves much more wearable. The aldehydes are cautiously embedded within an airy lightness – and so, Sancti is the finer fragrance for sure.

Concerning longevity and development one has to compromise. The development is rather quick and seems to come to a halt after two hours. More than pyramidal, Sancti exhibits a star pattern in its development: the full complexness is there in the beginning and gleams into all directions. One by one, these star beams fade away until there is a slightly woody frankincense accord left in the middle.

It's a pity that this is happening within two hours. Reapplying may not completely bring back the perfectly balanced sensation from the beginning as the frankincense will be enhanced by that as well. And so, Sancti -Eau Delà presents itself as a perfume for gourmets – not gourmands – who can appreciate and enjoy a special fragrant moment.

It has to be mentioned that the Sancti star beams have different length. I got the impression they appear differently in their sillage than directly on skin. After the frankincense had pushed aside everything else on skin, there was still a faint air of tenderness in my room which brought up memories of the long gone vintage L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci.

But why must frankincense always pay for a religious naming? I admit, between all those cumulus clouds, a citric and kitschy orange post card madonna may materialise herself – given the fact that the pilgrim arriving at Santiago de Compostela is decently hypoglycaemic before drowning himself in those wafts of frankincense

Popular Liquides Imaginaires

Fortis - Eau Delà by Liquides Imaginaires Dom Rosa - Eau Sanguine by Liquides Imaginaires Île Pourpre - Eau Imaginaire by Liquides Imaginaires Succus - Eau Arborante by Liquides Imaginaires Bloody Wood - Eau Sanguine by Liquides Imaginaires Saltus - Eau Arborante by Liquides Imaginaires Lacrima by Liquides Imaginaires Tumultu - Eau Delà by Liquides Imaginaires Desert Suave - Eau Imaginaire by Liquides Imaginaires Fleuve Tendre - Eau Imaginaire by Liquides Imaginaires Belle Bête - Eau de Peau by Liquides Imaginaires Tapis Volant - Eau de L'Est by Liquides Imaginaires Fleur de Sable - Eau de L'Est by Liquides Imaginaires Bello Rabelo - Eau Sanguine by Liquides Imaginaires Peau de Bête - Eau de Peau by Liquides Imaginaires Buveur de Vent - Eau de L'Est by Liquides Imaginaires Tellus - Eau Arborante by Liquides Imaginaires Phantasma by Liquides Imaginaires Beauté du Diable - Eau de L'Âme by Liquides Imaginaires Melancolia by Liquides Imaginaires