India by Marina Barcenilla / The Perfume Garden
India is a perfume by Marina Barcenilla / The Perfume Garden for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is oriental-woody. It is still available to purchase.

AmberAmber
Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang
BergamotBergamot
CorianderCoriander
CardamomCardamom

Submitted by LadyViolet, last update on 26.09.2018.

A soulful scent
When I first smelled this, it didn't make me think of India because of the citrus in the first 20 minutes or so. I wondered how so much citrus would make anyone think of India? I guess I was expecting your typical smoky incense, rose, cardamom, that sort of thing. But as the perfume remained on my skin, the citrus faded, and I was left with the most remarkable frankincense. Now if you are thinking of chemical Avignon and the likes, stop right there. This frankincense fragrance is NOTHING like those. It's not churchy, and the frankincense smells a lot more natural and subdued, not pungent like in those other churchy fragrances. This isn't even a temple type of incense to me. I picture people riding elephants. Not entirely sure why. But this is not a stuffy, austere frankincense. Must be experienced to truly appreciate. Not my biggest love from this house, but I do want a bottle, as I do enjoy it immensely.

Floral Resin
On paper this is a warm, resinous, floral beauty, brightened by Ambrette seed. On skin it's moreso. Marina Barcenilla's India doesn't shout, but it doesn't need to. Its vibe is that of a rare, ancient treasure. Empresses might have worn it, Gautama Buddha's mother as she gave birth to him, the maharajah Ranjit Singh's first wife. To me it is female and distinguished, full of India's mysterious beauty.

Polyanthes
An ancient temple space. ...
For me this is a very beautiful frankincense perfume with spices and ylang ylang.

It doesn't smell like church incense to me, it brings to mind a more ancient temple space (in Egypt or perhaps 'India' ;-) the resins the women there would have burned, the flowers they would have placed on the altar and also the anointed smell of their own warm, spicy skin.

There is heat in here from the cardamon and coriander but also a rich and soft creaminess which must come from the blend of exotic florals and sandalwood.
It's a gorgeous, opulent, ambered perfume with good longevity evoking feelings of strength and centredness.

I would like to own all of Marina's perfumes, every one of them is extremely lovely and it's obvious that they are made with exceptional materials. Sigh... so many beautiful perfumes, I cannot posses them all.

Marina Barcenilla is based in the UK but her perfumes are also available in the US from Ave Parfum.

Popular Marina Barcenilla / The Perfume Garden

Patchouli Clouds by Marina Barcenilla / The Perfume Garden Spring Rain by Marina Barcenilla / The Perfume Garden Black Osmanthus by Marina Barcenilla / The Perfume Garden The Perfume Garden by Marina Barcenilla / The Perfume Garden Under the Orange Tree by Marina Barcenilla / The Perfume Garden