Les Echappées - Lalibela 2007

Les Echappées - Lalibela by Memo Paris
Les Echappées - Lalibela is a popular perfume by Memo Paris for women and was released in 2007. The scent is sweet-floral. It is still in production.

Coconut orchid, Rose, Jasmine absolute, Indonesian patchouli, Rock rose absolute, Vanilla, Tobacco absolute, Frankincense, Labdanum

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 14.09.2020.

Inspired by Dolby, I have taken this one up again...
I'm on a mission this year (2013) to review everything in my house. That means EVERYTHING: bottles, decants, and samples. I have large decants of the early Memo perfumes from two years ago, which I have not seen fit to don since my initial testing of them. Why not? Perhaps Dolby was on to something, see below...

This time, LALIBELA hit me initially like a slug in the face, which made me fear that I might have screwed up by leaving these decants out--not in direct sunlight, mind you, but within the reach of indirect light. Had the perfume been harmed by all of this time spent on a book shelf, watching me every day as I walked by and never reached for it? Is this some form of revenge? It's hard to say. All I know is that I now have a headache.

I feel that an effort has been made here, but perhaps hell really is paved with good intentions, as the coconut now smells rather like bananas about to turn. The overall effect seems rather amateurish. I don't know how to explain this vague term, but let's just say: Think of the perfumes of Frédéric Malle. Now think of the opposite of that.

There is a lot going on in LALIBELA, which is a weirdly "sort of" oriental perfume, and I do not think that it is as bad as Dolby does, but I also do not find it very good. Because in my first review I indicated that the opening was pleasing, I think that there is a pretty good chance that this perfume is not all that stable. Perhaps, then, Dolby's sample had suffered under conditions similar to my decant. On ne sait jamais...

Unfortunately, "try before you buy" will not solve the problem of fragility, unless you both try and buy on site in Paris!

Dolby
Welcome to the world of Poop Spray United … Please take your seat.
As I sprayed, the first whiff did animate me, albeit very briefly, because, after the correctly allocated time for the alcohol to evaporate (never understand people who spray and sniff practically in unison … Are they from a special sector of humankind, born with asbestos nostrils? I wonder)
… anyway, I eagerly approached my olfactory organ to my denuded forearm … and recoiled in horror.

Boy does it stink!
Plastic coconut and red rose toilet spray anyone?
This can’t be for real.

Memo, Memo, Memo, what are you doing?
A house with measlier quality offerings I have yet to find.
Fair enough, I have never sniffed the Paris Hilton of this world, but please spare me.

The very odd aspect of this scent is that it is rather lovely … from afar.
Ok, you may be thinking “what is she on now?”, but truly, it isn’t the first time that I experience this:
Reeks up close, delights at a distance.

Indeed, from afar, it translates as a gourmand powdery rose.
Not bad at all, but then, no can do I’m afraid.
I mean, how are we meant to wear this?
Walk around whilst flapping our arms wildly? Because if you wish to attract stares chillier than Iceland’s freezer section from the fellows around you and risk ending up in the local loony bin as a result, go right ahead.
Personally, I’ll pass.

… An hour has gone by.
It has greatly tamed down, and is now a perfectly pleasant warm and cosy rose fragrance.
Unfortunately, the opening makes me shudder … still.

MeursaultMeursault 10 months ago
The opening has an offputing orchidea note. Vanilla and coconut add creaminess, and it has a lil bit of incense present in the drydown. 6/10

by Entenradio
by Entenradio
by Frlsmilla
by Frlsmilla
by Lexa
by Lexa

Popular Memo Paris

Cuirs Nomades - African Leather by Memo Paris Art Land - Winter Palace by Memo Paris Cuirs Nomades - Irish Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Memo Paris Eau de Memo by Memo Paris Art Land - Tiger's Nest by Memo Paris Cuirs Nomades - Russian Leather by Memo Paris Cuirs Nomades - Italian Leather by Memo Paris Escales Extraordinaires - Lalibela Oud by Memo Paris Les Echappées - Shams Oud / Shams by Memo Paris Art Land - Marfa (Eau de Parfum) by Memo Paris Cuirs Nomades - French Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Memo Paris Graines Vagabondes - Kedu by Memo Paris Les Echappées - Granada by Memo Paris Cuirs Nomades - Moroccan Leather by Memo Paris Graines Vagabondes - Ilha do Mel by Memo Paris Graines Vagabondes - Tamarindo by Memo Paris Les Echappées - Siwa (2007) by Memo Paris Les Echappées - Jannat (2008) (Eau de Parfum) by Memo Paris Les Echappées - Manoa by Memo Paris Les Echappées - Luxor Oud by Memo Paris