A*Men Pure Leather 2012

A*Men Pure Leather by Mugler
A*Men Pure Leather is a limited perfume by Mugler for men and was released in 2012. The scent is leathery-sweet. Projection and longevity are above-average. It was last marketed by Clarins. Limited Edition

LeatherLeather
PatchouliPatchouli

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 13.03.2021.

Just can't get enough
Just can't get enough of it. A*Men DNA is present, sweet, spicy, leathery. More wearable than the original. Very long longevity, great performance. LOVE IT so much!!! The price was a steal, will order two more bottles. Totally underrated it.

Leather oddball!
Well, this is an interesting fragrance with an interestingly polarizing reception among fragrance aficionados. My opinion on this is that it’s very nice. Nice and fascinating, and quite unique too, in its own subtle way. Does it smell like A*Men? Yes, it does, it’s 90% identical - it’s a flanker, after all. But still, it has some key features that makes it not redundant if you like or already own classic A*Men. First of all, it smells as a washed, lighter version of it; less challenging to pull off, more dry, kind of darker, surely more simple. A “thinned out” A*Men, so to speak – and that’s nice for me, since A*Men can get sometimes tough and overwhelming to wear. Second, contrary to other reviewers, I do get very clearly the leather facet here, and I really like it. I expected something different, a duller and more mainstream leather accord glued to A*Men like a drugstore patch, while I think that leather here is processed in a very creative and quite classy way.

More than a specific note, in fact, it actually really feels like if they gave A*Men a “polished leather look”, an overall “leather treatment” infusing it with a subtle, yet robust smell of new, tar-like, oddly sweetish polished leather. Obviously the “leather infusion” mentioned on the box is marketing nonsense (and knowing Mugler’s aesthetics, chances are it’s subtly ironic), but still I admit that that’s the effect: I think this does really smell like A*Men drenched in leather. And again, I must stress that for me the leather feel here is quite realistic, unusual and surprisingly well put together. Synthetic, sure, but that’s the smell of most of todays’ leather goods treated with chemical agents. And I guess that many people don’t get the leather facet because they’re looking for some more common, standard leather note, while here leather is kind of “all over” – it’s the ambiance, the frame itself, so you’ve to, say, “zoom out” and look at the entirety of the scent to get it. That’s my reading of this scent. Besides the all-over leather effect, the rest is quite A*Men with no particular variations except for a fresher and thinner look – if you aren’t familiar with that masterpiece, then imagine a bizarre musky-minty-soapy gourmand bomb with lavender, resins, tonka, fresh edges and a dark patchouli-cocoa base. Imagine that, sprayed on a new pair of leather sneakers.

The more I wear this clever pastiche, the more I like it, and I think the subtle yet very competent and creative leather variation is remarkable, and I’m afraid quite underrated (or even more sadly, just snobbed because “it’s Mugler”). If you see it with an “out of the box” approach, and take it as the crazy gourmand oddball drenched in subtle leather that it is, then it’s more valuable and creative than the majority of “avantgarde” niche leathers. It has some cheap facets, but they’re fun – and so is this scent, nothing particularly refined and probably not that versatile too, but fun, nice and unusual. Totally remarkable for the price.

7,5/10

Azrayel
Angel can fly high even with smaller wings...
Last November, one fine afternoon, I claimed at the post office a big shoe box containing my order of 100ml. Thierry Mugler A*Men Les Parfums de Cuir with a surprising total of 39 samples/spritzers of different perfumes.

First spray, It's Amen with mint, lesser tar. After 5 minutes, lo and behold, for those of you who can't find a Pure Coffee these days, here it is, manifesting strongly, for about 5 minutes. Then the leather slowly comes in along with the very smooth Amen fragrance. This goes on for about 30 minutes on my skin of which the projection is a beast, remarkable and non-cloying. This Angel with smaller wings (flanker of A*Men, tamer scent) can soar high, unexpectedly...

I sprayed this on my left arm and Yardley citrus and woods (Terre de Hermes copy indeed) on my left wrist, Alain Iquitos on my left back hand, Ferre Man on my right wrist, Loewe Escencia on my clothes (whew, impressive) and YSL Haute concentrate pour homme on my right arm. Wow fireworks everywhere but behold, Amen Pure Leather and Loewe E. are dominating wonderfully to my nose. All these new purchases were amazing but that would be for reviews to come.

Its been two hours now and the Amen original dry down is what I am smelling with Pure Coffee magically coming in and out. Leather is just minimal, on stealth as mint and chocolate (to simply describe what I smell) are very stable. This is well refined, so beautiful perfume that is just okay on summer nights, great to wear on fall and spring but definitely best on winter.

It's Amen done right, Amen done sexier and Amen that will draw compliments with its gourmand aroma but will make you smell more sophisticated compared with the original Amen which is a love/hate but one of the best dry down in my personal perfume experience.

I got 3 A*men big bottles on my wardrobe but this is worth keeping. Ten hours after, leather scent is still there, quiet yet great smelling, complimenting with the A*Men similar dry down.

Again, this is A*men with less the loved/hated tar plus "brief yet very satisfying" Pure Coffee surprise comeback and A*men smoothly reinvented with the stealthy leather, what else can you ask for?

I personally love this fragrance compared with Pure Malt, Pure Havane and Pure Coffee (the only flaw is longevity but far better in scent and dry down compared with Rochas Man and New Haarlem, of which both I have).

Now I can say that Pure Leather will be at the front line of my perfume wardrobe.

Buy, Try or Pass? For those who tested A*Men and is planning to buy a bottle, buy this instead.

For those who have A*Men, without a Pure Coffee, get a bottle of this. For those who have A*Men & not interested with Pure Coffee, then you can buy this on a sample (Surrendertochance have this) and up to you to decide if you want to own a bottle. As for me, a perfume collector, this is truly precious to hold and to wear for many years. A*Men for an outdoor cold days and Pure Leather for indoor occasions. This can be a signature scent, a date scent and a formal event scent. But don't wear this at work, unless wear with 1 spray only. That is all guys. Cheers.

Scent - 9.5/10

Sillage - 10/10 like A*Men

Longevity - 10 hours up...

MRothMRoth 1 year ago
Synthetic fresh leather accord meets with sweet patchouli resulting in the fun scent of gummy cola bottles. Bizarre and edible combination.

by Smello
by Thecombad
by Vawallpa
by Vawallpa

Popular Mugler

A*Men Pure Havane by Mugler Alien Essence Absolue by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt by Mugler Alien Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Iced Star by Mugler Les Exceptions - Oriental Extreme / Oriental Express by Mugler Angel Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler Les Exceptions - Over The Musk by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Eau Sucrée 2014 by Mugler Mugler Cologne by Mugler Alien - Le Goût du Parfum by Mugler Alien Les Parfums de Cuir by Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka by Mugler Angel (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Mugler Alien Eau Sublime by Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee by Mugler A*Men Ultra Zest by Mugler Angel Étoile des Rêves by Mugler Miroir Miroir - Miroir des Majestés by Mugler