A*Men Pure Havane 2011

A*Men Pure Havane by Mugler
Top 27 in Men's Perfume
A*Men Pure Havane is a popular perfume by Mugler for men and was released in 2011. The scent is sweet-gourmand. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.
Scent goes well with Spicebomb

Jacques Huclier

Top Notes Top NotesHoneyed tobacco
Heart Notes Heart NotesCocoa, Patchouli
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Labdanum, Styrax

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 17.01.2021.

Pure Havane
A very cozy and cuddly fragrance for the evening,
Smells like church honey tobacco. The overall package is a sweet gourmand with good durability, rather unisex. In autumn and winter it gives the most compliments and I think everyone who loves shisha will like this fragrance. It's really not for everyone, but any fan of gourmand scents will probably like this one too. To explain it for outsiders who have no idea about perfume: It smells like fair than shisha tobacco

Pure Heaven
In our quest to find the perfect perfume most of us look for fragrances that put a smile on our face. Pure Havane is a fitting example for me, and I assume for many of us.

It opens up with a sweet, cherry honeyed tobacco, which still has a raw edge to it. It isn't a smooth tobacco, I would say. Rather a rough yet not dirty tobacco.

This perfumes keeps pushing on my skin, allowing me to get whiffs of it during the whole day. It's like my own private amusement: it encourages me to move around - which is a good thing to do during those challenging Covid-times - in order to remind myself how good it smells.

Hence the title: Pure Heaven.
Similarities to Xerjoff Naxos
Yes, you can definitely say that there are clear similarities in the fragrance DNA. The honey note, the sweetness. But, for me, it's as if Xerjoff has endowed the fragrance with more facets, it just seems rounder. Also, the silage is not comparable. From the price-performance ratio, however, the A*Men Pure Havane is really good.
Ok Havane or winter looks different in Cuba
On my voyage of discovery into the world of autumn and winter fragrances, I have, among other things, enjoyed a bottling of Mugler's Pure Havane. Especially because I was simply curious about the genre of (sweet) tobacco fragrances, which is still relatively unknown to me, and because it is a very well rated representative of its genre (since a long time in the perfumo top 30 of men's fragrances). But also because at the time of the order (already a few weeks ago) two perfumes were listed among the fragrance twins, which I like very much: Herod (Parfums de Marly) and L'Homme Idéal Extrême (Guerlain). The 5ml are used up and the impressions demand a detailed and hopefully helpful comment.

FLAKON
As I said, I have a souk bottling, therefore no comment and no rating on the bottle. Strangely enough, I haven't seen the flacon anywhere in the store yet
DURABILITY & SILLAGE
With 4-5 sprayers I am surrounded for the first 30-60 minutes by a fragrance cloud that is a little more than arm-long or wide. Then the Sillage goes down to a foot length to shoulder width and becomes skin-tight after 3-4 hours. The effective shelf life of 8-10 hours should be sufficient for most purposes. A few hours later the last remains of the scent are gone.

STEAM or STEAM RUN
Pure Havane starts mainly hay-like dry and flowery-fresh, with a lot of sugar-honey sweetness and a little tobacco leaf. This is accompanied by a bitterish-bitter note, which can be added to the honey accord or perceived separately as a cocoa note. In any case, the honey note is rather light, sugary-sweet and a bit flowery. For honey maybe a little "thin". Reminds me more of sugar syrup. The tobacco note becomes more prominent in the next few minutes, accompanied by balsamic and cedar-like notes and a little vanillin. With a little imagination I can also detect a hint of earthy patchouli. This gives the fragrance a little tingling spice and a little warmth. I smell the wood of the cigar box. Or a wooden barrel with slightly pungent, slightly exaggeratedly flowery and spicy rum? Be that as it may, the development of the scent would then be complete after 10-15 minutes. This is how Pure Havane should be and this is how it will stay. You can call it shallow and boring. Or more benevolent: minimalistic and reliable.

(I only get the cherry note in the opening performed by some reviewers on paper or clothes)

APPLICATION
Pure Havane is a very pleasing (gourmand) spicy-sweet tobacco scent for mild to cooler (but not cold) days and evenings. It goes well with leisure time or informal evening occasions and is certainly better with a jacket or shirt than with sweaters and jogging pants. Leather jacket would also work very well. The fragrance is relatively inexpensive and follows the gourmand-sweet trend of recent years. Therefore, in my opinion it fits best to younger people (let's say u40). But I wouldn't advise older people against it. Do what you think.

CONCLUSION
Phew, tough. I was looking for a spicy-sweet fall and winter scent. Personally, I find Pure Havane far too light for that. Especially at the base, a little more spice, warmth and fullness would be good for this rather narrow tobacco scent to counter cold temperatures. Or maybe something smoky to stay closer to the honey-cigar theme. On the other hand Pure Havane is perhaps not such a winter scent at all? If I ignore classification and the scent pyramid for a moment, I can read the scents differently: Behind the "honey" there is cocoa and sugar (syrup). The slightly flowery tobacco leaf remains. Maybe it is also a cigar flavoured with honey. From wood, balsam, flowery notes and sugar sweetness becomes an old rum. This creates a spicy, light and somewhat synthetic Cuba atmosphere, which does full justice to the name "Pure Havane" and in my opinion goes much better with mojito than with mulled wine. So maybe rather something for spring or autumn. Or even for cool summer evenings or the mild nights of the Cuban winter? It remains to be tested whether the scent might not be too sweet for that. Either way, Pure Havane is a good fragrance, but somehow it seems to me to be sitting between too many chairs: interesting but shallow, heavy but light, winter-summery. Preliminary verdict therefore "only": Okay
PS -
Keyword "Top 30 men's fragrances":
Can I really only find such a top-rated fragrance ok? Not even bad, but really just ok? Yeah, sure. After all, a scent is a highly subjective thing. It is possible that Pure Havane is currently still benefiting greatly from the good reputation and good ratings of its older formulations. In relevant internet forums the older Pure Havane is often said to have better performance and more depth compared to the current version. Also some of the newer positive reviews here explicitly deal with older or "vintage" formulations of Pure Havane. But maybe the changes are not as serious as they are partly presented.

Keyword "Scent twins":
- PdM Herod? No. Herod opulent, warm, fruity, floral, sweet, extroverted, with a strong vanilla base. Pure Havane in direct comparison quiet, limp, almost anaemic. Completely rightly Herod is meanwhile removed from the list of twins.
- Guerlain L'HIE? More likely no. Both with tobacco and honey-like sweetness. But despite all the similarity, L'HIE is clearly different from the slimmer Pure Havane, with notes of almond/Amaretto, dark cherry, cinnamon and leather.
The Cuban Missile Crisis
It is the year 1962. Russia stationed missiles in Cuba and put America on alert. An outpost near the east coast of Cuba. A high-ranking military commander in his office does not want to be disturbed. With black military boots, brown camouflage trousers and a white, almost beige shirt he sat comfortably in his big leather chair. Short grey hair and scratchy, stubborn beard stubbles surround his very sinister face. Feared by many and yet appreciated, he embodies a tough commander. For many also known as "Big Boss". Only a few higher officers have the privilege to speak to him. Windows Schalusien cover the glaring daylight. Beside the almost noiseless ceiling fan there is only a small cigarette suction to catch Pleasantly and completely relaxed he slowly smoked a finest Cuban cigar. Lined up in front of him are dark wooden boxes with finest sorted Cuban cigars, which otherwise only a few high diplomats get to enjoy. A sweetly creamy scent of the finest honey tobacco was in the air. Thick clouds of smoke spread in the still very darkened room. All in panic and in alarm readiness, but nothing could disturb him. Smoking, relaxed he enjoyed the sweet taste
of tobacco and was completely satisfied.

Pure Harvana embodies exactly that for me. Very interesting fragrance that led me on a curious historical journey
Of heroes and revolutionaries
Cuba - a communist island state steeped in history in the middle of the Caribbean.
Polarizing and fascinating at the same time.
Hated and loved by the elites of this world, Cuba has one thing above all else -
A unique charm!

This small country, hardly like any other, stands for revolution and resistance against a capitalist and opportunist America.
It stands for anti-capitalism in its purest form and has made history with the charismatic revolutionary leaders Ernesto Guevara and Fidel Castro.
Even if the revolution was successful, Cuba has still not been able to build a stable economy due to the subsequent embargo by the USA and many Western states.
Thus, despite the pride in its revolutionaries, Cuba has remained a poor country.

And despite the poverty they are rich in culinary delights.
The Cuban rum and cigars are considered the best in the world.
And I too have already had the pleasure
smoke a Cohiba while tasting an ancient Legendario on the terrace of a beautiful Hacienda in Vinales.
The smells that came to my nose when I smoked and drank and caressed my soft palate were allied with the tropical air of sweet tobacco fields and sugar cane plantations An absolute feel-good moment.

One day, when I accidentally tested a fragrance with the label Pure Havane without great expectations, I experienced a fantastic deja vu.
It was incomprehensible to me how someone could preserve the feelings of that time in a fragrance.
Pure Havane manages to reproduce this wonderful warm tobacco sweetness.
To me, Pure Havane smells like a mixture of fresh cigar smoke and ripe, sweet rum.
Masculine, warm and positive.
A fragrance that would have suited Ernest Hemmingway as well.

Should I one day travel back to Cuba, Pure Havane will definitely accompany me and tell my story.
Flame99
A disappointment can only be as big as the expectations
...and number 27 in men's fragrances and a rating of 8.4 out of 733 is a big announcement...like the disappointment i experienced when i smelled Pure Havane for the first time...and the smell is not bad at all...it is "good" and even addictive, i can imagine that it brings many compliments...apart from the fact that i only like the smell to 70% i will analyze the weaknesses objectively and present them here.For a poetic description of the smell and more entertainment, please use another comment to imagine the smell (although in 10 out of 10 cases it's different than you think, so you can guess the direction) I just want to add that it does smell a bit spicier than "sweet and gourmand".But what i noticed about the scent: i didn't know it was reformulated until just now, but now everything makes sense. when i smelled it 3-4 times more intense, i thought to myself, without knowing it: "dude, it smells as if it was a reformulation". without a rational basis, just from the gut feeling. so i ask myself the question: what was evaluated here? Pure havane what you get now when you buy it, or vintage pure havane?..now i come to my findings: the fragrance is much too "top note heavy". what this means you can imagine, but as a comparison : you see a person, relatively small 1,60m with a head that is too big. the head itself is only disproportionate in a relative way, because if this person had the right size, for example 1.85-1.90m, the overall picture would harmonize, and that's exactly the case with this Pure Havane.the top note is too "heavy" for the depth of the fragrance that is missing here.it's like wearing the fragrance backwards: first the base, then the heart note and finally the top note.strange progression, however, can also be seen as an "artistic statement" or whatever you can imagine.The lack of depth here makes it look like this fragrance (which has a character all of its own) is only halfway there...neither crowdpleaser nor statement scent...something in between...a little shy...second point is that i'm 100% sure it's chemically synthetic to the same percentage. caution: may contain traces of patchouli...so only 99% synthetic after all?I see the potential in this fragrance and it's generally "well done", but unfortunately not very exciting for the fact that it's shyly going in a statement direction, and only half shows up...the bottom line is that the less you've smelled it, the better it smells...i originally thought so too: it smells mega good, until i had to discover the weaknesses mentioned above...but the individual notes are well balanced and the whole package can be smelled...two times.
Condorpilot1
A Mugler who knows how to inspire
Normally, most of the fragrances in Thierry Mugler's A*My range seem to have a touch of the original A*Men, at least in their base. First of all: Pure Havanne doesn't follow this line, but has a completely different character.

Yes, at the beginning after spraying A*Men is already very sweet. This honey tobacco note reminds me in its character of Paco Rabannes 1 Million Privé, where the note "Shisha tobacco" is listed. The top note of Pure Havanne is slightly sweeter and fruity, the top note of Privé is a bit spicier. Nevertheless I find the opening of both fragrances comparable. Additionally I perceive an ethereal note for a short time, which reminds me of sage. I also perceive something cherry-like in the first 3-5 minutes, which reminds me of cherry yoghurt of cherry ice cream. Really tasty with cherry pieces in it. After the cherry disappears, the tobacco becomes spicy-sweet and basically accompanies the smell until the end.

After a good half hour Pure Havanne gains a little bit of complexity, even if it has to be said that this pyramid of fragrances is quite simply constructed. Personally, I prefer it that way, too, as if the fragrances are overloaded with notes and merge into an indefinable mixture. Admittedly I can't sniff cocoa, but something earthy, which could be patchouli. Afterwards, however, the fragrance remains linear, long-lasting (7-8 hours) and soothing for the next few hours. In my opinion, the drydown is almost unisex, as long as the scent would have a little less smokiness.

All in all it is fun to smell it again and again, the Sillage is perceptible for a long time and radiates clearly outwards. Pure Havanne knows how to please especially in autumn and winter as a casual fragrance and is a great addition to any collection!
All Achieved
Already the ingredients of the pyramid inspired me so much that I couldn't avoid trying them.
Honey for breakfast and dark chocolate in the evening, I enjoy quite often.
Therefore get a feeling like, feet up, it is all done.
A spicy base carries the sweet and appetizing cocoa note. It develops into powdery dessert scent. To bite into.
In addition there is a smoky note, which could remind you of weak pipe tobacco.
Now in winter I find this very appropriate. For the summertime perhaps to derb.
Nevertheless, I now have something to enjoy chocolate without gaining weight.

Mischa99
A cherry scent for the woman ? Surprise - but not !
At the beginning I was very surprised by the strong sweet cherry note. She was always present almost to the end, which always irritated me a little. But this Mugler is not a women's fragrance, because it is already clearly chocolate-covered after the smoky cherry. In the further process I thought to smell also something leathery. The fragrance was always accompanied by a fresh note, which was very pleasant. Towards the end of the beautiful fragrance development I thought I smelled incense and very clearly patchouli. After 4-5 hours the A Men pure Havane was smoky on my skin. What remained was a somewhat stale breeze of incense. (as with quite a lot of perfumes) I could imagine the scent in my collection because of the beautiful overall picture and the great course. Because of the usual ending, there is a half point deduction from the maximum score, that is an 8.5 from me.

BertolucciKBertolucciK 13 days ago
Pure Havane is a sweet gourmand, addictive. The scent is linear but it's a perfect blend of moist tobacco with honey, cocoa and patchouli.
Djsc23Djsc23 2 months ago
+ : Delicious blending of the honeyed tobacco and vanilla scents. At times it gives some cherry vibes too. Simply great!
- : Poor bottle
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 3 months ago
After a bright floral-powdery opening, this warm and spicy/sweet oriental Gourmand slowly settles to a dusty resinous-woody base. Very cozy!
Amazon1975Amazon1975 1 year ago
The bottles on these are so bad. Kind of funky but spray is woeful. Made up for by a excellent juice..... longevity isn't massive on me.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Fragrant Honeyed Tobacco, Vanilla & Cocoa blended to perfection in the opening and heart notes; a trail of Amber & Resins in the drydown.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 2 years ago
A great honeyed gourmand. There's cocoa, honey and tobacco. It's great for breezy fall days. The best flanker of the A* Men line. Recommende
Oscarsh86Oscarsh86 2 years ago
Cherry-smelling tobacco. Nice.
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
This is one of the few very gourmand perfumes I like. The honeyed tobacco just gives it a superlative tone of excellent pipe tobacco scent.
BreadyBready 2 years ago
Excellent scent!
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
Overhyped. Pure tonka, Krypto and even the original A*men are way way better than this one

by Miggax
by Nw1990
by DanyPereyra
by DanyPereyra

Popular Mugler

Alien Essence Absolue by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt by Mugler Alien Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler Les Exceptions - Oriental Extreme / Oriental Express by Mugler Angel Eau Sucrée 2014 by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt - Création 2013 by Mugler Les Exceptions - Over The Musk by Mugler Mugler Cologne by Mugler Alien - Le Goût du Parfum by Mugler Angel Étoile des Rêves by Mugler Les Exceptions - Ambre Redoutable by Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee by Mugler Miroir Miroir - Miroir des Majestés by Mugler Angel Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka by Mugler Alien Eau Sublime by Mugler Alien Les Parfums de Cuir by Mugler Angel (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Mugler Alien Liqueur de Parfum by Mugler