A*Men Pure Malt 2009

A*Men Pure Malt by Mugler
Top 48 in Men's Perfume
A*Men Pure Malt is a popular limited perfume by Mugler for men and was released in 2009. The scent is sweet-gourmand. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Limited Edition

Musk, Patchouli, Peat, Whisky, Malt CO2, Coffee absolute, Cedarwood, Woods

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 24.11.2020.

Razvanyke
What a surprise, the underdog who gets the job done
I have over 20 perfumes, all of them great, longlasting and high quality. In order to wish a new addition to the collection, must be really good.

I sniffed the Pure Malt and its love at first spray, as the cliché says it. It is playful, mature and addictive.

With this in mind, I oversniffed the tester strip and now will go search for a bottle.

Pure Havane was a nice scent but more from hype than from my nose, Pure Malt is wow .. Mugler you did a good job.

Warm, cosey, (slightly) boozy palatable A*men sibling
Sinds the late 90s I have been in love with A*men. Finding it a bit to edgy at the time, I never wore it then. Not caring so much now and fragrance times that have changed, made me ware the original A*men now and I'm pretty happy with my 2012 bottle.

I read sooooo many good reviews about pure malt and pure havane and after reading a lot about them I chose Pure Malt. I bought it at a retailer in 2019 and was so lucky to get an old bottle of 2015 that still was before the l'oreal takeover. It still has "Thierry Mugler" on it. I only found out afterward, that there was a difference. I have never smelled the "Mugler" version.

The scent is pretty sweet and smoother than the original. Warm caramelly, coffeeish and very slightly boozy. This is an original scent, but is no way bold niche whiskey fragrance.

If it's name was not pure malt, I would never associated it with whiskey. And if I associate it now, it is with very smooth, whiskey, with no rough salty or peaty elements what soever.

The performance is good for me. Good longevity, a whole day long and good projection for the first few hours. No super beast, but as I wrote many times. I don't need beastmode all the time.

This is not really a complex scent, fairly lineair, but very good none the less if you can pick it up at a discounter for a warm gourmandish, smoother take on A*men.

I still love the A*men bottle, also with the warm caramelly liquid in the star. The sprayer is awful as with all rubber A*men bottles, unless you cut it, but I'm not going to wreck my Pure Malt bottle...

Golcher
the hype is well justified
I blind bought A*Men a year or two ago and I just hated it, I wasn’t prepared to what A*Men was I was just aware it was a very popular scent and I really regretted ever purchasing. However, after I overcame the bad taste in my mouth I decided I’d give a chance to some of the more interesting flankers, namely Pure Tonka, Pure Malt and Pure Havane.

Last year I went to Boston, MA and sampling frags was one of the pursposes and I found Pure Malt at a Macy’s so I went ahead and sprayed. There is that god awful dna there however it seems toned down and it does work well with the other notes, they complement each other creating a beautiful scent. It’s fruity and it’s sweet, I don’t get the booze at least not as much as everyone else does but it’s gorgeous. I didn’t buy yet, it was on the expensive side so I just put it in my wishlist, funny enough I found Pure Coffee a day later in a T.J Maxx so I went home with it.

I ended up getting Pure Malt in the end, it’s my SOTN and it’s intoxicating, it lead me to write this review. Performance is great, I’m on the 7th hour and I can still smell it and according to the wifey it still projects so great bang for the buck. The only issue is with those damn sprayers, c’mon Mugler you can do better than those shitty sprayers

Rquill67
What more is there to say?
What more can I say that someone else hasn't already stated? Mugler's Pure Malt is a masterpiece. It's boozy, light, fruity, sweet and earthy. It opens with more whiskey than on the dry-down, but that's okay. Mugler is one of the best houses when it comes to gourmand fragrances for both men and women. I give this gem a 10 / 10! Pick it up while you can, because L'Oreal recently bought the Mugler line of fragrances and who knows what will happen next.

Good designer fragrance
Pure Malt was created in 2009 and in honor of traditional Scottish whiskey. It is one of my favorite boozy scents. It is a mix between fruity, whiskey and sweet notes. The notes that stand out the most are obviously malt, Fruity notes and whiskey. Absolutely amazing designer scent and I’m proud to add this to my collection. Out of all the A*men line this is my favorite one. Pure Havane is not bad at all but I already own Naxos which is more or less the same fragrance. What is your favorite A*man Fragrance ?
Patchouli and malt beer
I must confess, I did not dare to order a bottling of this fragrance while looking at the notes.
But I'm glad I got a sample from someone.
My first impression:
Patchouli and malt.
This smells kind of cool Coffee and wood also get through easily.
Musk only at the end and not excessive.
It's all built on the A*Man foundation The original scent DNA is definitely there and that's good. I like the scent.
That's 'cause my ex-boyfriend was wearing it. I asked the question about his perfume directly on the first date.
That's the way it is among perfume fanatics.

In any case, I find this variation much better than expected.
But you have to like patchouli and malt beer too...at least from the smell I find the fragrance successful and not as obtrusive or unpleasant as you might think when you look at this pyramid.
Masculine he is, but rather cool than cool and rather dominant than reserved.
At the same time it can be cuddly and warming.
Yeah, I'm still talking about the smell
So maybe I will order a bottling after all, now that I know what to expect.
Shelf life and Sillage are in the green range.
Holiday in the Highlands
I got this fragrance as a present last year, the brand and the fragrance were unknown to me until then and until today I only know this fragrance from Mugler.
But maybe this will change soon.

This fragrance reminds me of my holiday about 2 1/2 years ago, in November 2017 in Scotland. For me there were two reasons to visit this country, the beautiful landscapes and the Single Malt. We made a 10 day round trip there and visited four distilleries. This scent of Mugler reminds me of the moments when you, with two distilleries this was possible during the tour, enter the warehouse, the building where hundreds or even thousands of casks filled with whisky are lying. One immediately smells the single malt but also wood and a musty note. In one distillery they mainly worked with casks that previously contained sherry, there was also a sweetness in the room. Exactly this is what this scent reminds me of. Sweet whisky, wood and a musty, earthy note I like this scent extraordinarily well. It definitely lasts on my skin the whole day, even though the sillage and projection may decrease during the course of the day, but this scent is perceived by others all day long. I have often been asked by colleagues which scent I would wear this one and received compliments. For me this scent belongs in the seasons autumn and winter and is wearable in all situations. For a day in the office, however, I would recommend to be careful with the sprayer, for a nice walk and a party etc. it may be 1-2 sprayers more.
If you are looking for a strong, thoroughly masculine fragrance, if you like sweet scents and do not shy away from the alcoholic note, then I can warmly recommend this fragrance to you. Especially because it is quite affordable. You don't have to be afraid that others might think you've had a pub crawl the night before, that's not how it smells.
But the whisky is a component I perceive all day long.

Boozy love!
Pure havane was the first flanker from the A*Men line that i've taste. It was instant love. Pure Malt took me a few times to grow on me. Now, i can´t choose a favorite between both of them. For me, Pure Malt is a niche fragrance on a designer bottle. Unique, boozy, sweet, a perfect fragrance for fall imho. One of the few fragrances on my collection with a backup bottle. I can´t pass without this one.
Drunk comfort...
...is a condition that I haven't been able to fully enjoy for a long time. At least not in the conventional, social way. But I already have a fragrance in my collection for a long time, which actually gives me a similar flair. I'm talking about Pure Malt, the second flak ship, next to Pure Havanne, from Mugler. Why I haven't written a comment on Pure Malt yet is frankly beyond me, because it definitely has the potential to inspire. With its typical A* Men DNA, complemented by alcoholic peaty notes, it stands out from many mainstream fragrances and knows how to polarize.

About the fragrance: Pure Malt has a very sweet start! Musk and patchouli immediately give it an earthy touch. Together with the peat and whisky, you actually have the feeling of being sprayed with a long aged alcoholic drink. This "flag" surrounds one the first few hours and is also clearly noticeable for the wearer. In the further course of time, the woody notes are added. The whole remains as a sweet-woody film on the skin.

The shelf life of Pure Malt is enormous. It is one of the few fragrances that I can perceive on myself and that over the entire period. Also the next morning Pure Malt is able to welcome the wearer, similar to an alcohol hangover.
The Sillage is also extremely good. Although I often lack an occasion to wear it, it is disproportionately often commented on and supported by those around me. This circumstance sometimes makes me think, because Pure Malt is certainly not a fragrance that would serve the cliché of the mass-market favourite.
Much more I have the impression that the stronger the scent is perceived, the more people judge it. Almost as if other scents, which are perhaps much more sophisticated, would simply not be perceived due to the slightly worse performance. I also find it unusual that I myself rather rarely perceive perfume on my fellow men.

Pure Malt is due to its sweet and alcoholic character of course rather something for the autumn or winter. However, its strong, room-filling performance does not necessarily make it a fragrance for every day. It would probably be appropriate in an environment where it is important to stand out and be noticed, for example in a club, at a celebration or at the Christmas market.
The wearer can be both young and older. Only about as a teenager under 18 I would rather avoid him because of the alcohol content ;).

LG
Tom27
Peaty malt and yet no single malt whisky
Pure Malt opens with a sweet, spicy, juicy eruption of fruity notes and a strong portion of malt, which reminds me more of a malt extract or malt powder than of malt liqueur or malt whisky. In the background, woody notes and a delicious hint of cool, slightly musty and bitter peat follow very quickly. In the further development of the fragrance, the malt aspect diminishes somewhat to give the peat a little more freedom. At the same time the sweetness increases and a caramel chord is clearly perceptible. Pure Malt retains this fragrance from the ever softer malt peat note and the sweet caramel until it dries out completely after about 8 hours. During the wearing period the environment takes the scent clearly and I would speak of a slightly above average Sillage.
Pure Malt is best used in the cooler months, but can also work well as a fragrance on a warm evening.
I can recommend this fragrance for everyone if you prefer the sweet, gourmand and juicy scents, whose central theme is a malt peat accord.

TombbbTombbb 7 months ago
I had high expectations about that one, but... Cheap coca-cola, sugar powder, donut, fruits. No depth at all. Awful, unwearable 3/10
Carlitos01Carlitos01 10 months ago
This perfume always remembers me the scent of a tasty and sweet Irish coffee with hint of smokiness. It exudes comfort and class. I love it!
Amazon1975Amazon1975 11 months ago
One of the worst sprayers ever.....fantastic fragrance....which for me doesn't last or project much
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
A single malt whisky and a perfectly sweetened expresso! Drink it slowly but do apply some drops in your ears an neck. Pure Malt magic!
BreadyBready 2 years ago
Great fragrance! Amazing boozy scent and sweet drydown.
RocendrollRocendroll 2 years ago
[Tak] Świetny, mocny zapach. Bardzo męski. Odpowiednio słodki, odpowiednio ciężki.
MrHonestMrHonest 3 years ago
FanTASTIC warm and fruity scent with average performance (re-release). Not that boozy - more malty and musky. Overrated but l still love it.

by Moreno
by Vawallpa
by DanyPereyra
by DanyPereyra

Popular Mugler

A*Men Pure Havane by Mugler Alien Essence Absolue by Mugler Alien Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler Les Exceptions - Oriental Extreme / Oriental Express by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Eau Sucrée 2014 by Mugler Mugler Cologne by Mugler Les Exceptions - Over The Musk by Mugler Alien - Le Goût du Parfum by Mugler Angel Étoile des Rêves by Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee by Mugler Miroir Miroir - Miroir des Majestés by Mugler Angel Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka by Mugler A*Men Ultra Zest by Mugler Les Exceptions - Ambre Redoutable by Mugler Alien Les Parfums de Cuir by Mugler Alien Eau Sublime by Mugler Angel (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Mugler