A*Men Pure Malt 2009

A*Men Pure Malt by Mugler
Top 50 in Men's Perfume
A*Men Pure Malt is a popular limited perfume by Mugler for men and was released in 2009. The scent is sweet-gourmand. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Limited Edition

Musk, Patchouli, Peat, Whisky, Malt CO2, Coffee absolute, Cedarwood, Woods

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 22.09.2020.

Rquill67
What more is there to say?
What more can I say that someone else hasn't already stated? Mugler's Pure Malt is a masterpiece. It's boozy, light, fruity, sweet and earthy. It opens with more whiskey than on the dry-down, but that's okay. Mugler is one of the best houses when it comes to gourmand fragrances for both men and women. I give this gem a 10 / 10! Pick it up while you can, because L'Oreal recently bought the Mugler line of fragrances and who knows what will happen next.

Good designer fragrance
Pure Malt was created in 2009 and in honor of traditional Scottish whiskey. It is one of my favorite boozy scents. It is a mix between fruity, whiskey and sweet notes. The notes that stand out the most are obviously malt, Fruity notes and whiskey. Absolutely amazing designer scent and I’m proud to add this to my collection. Out of all the A*men line this is my favorite one. Pure Havane is not bad at all but I already own Naxos which is more or less the same fragrance. What is your favorite A*man Fragrance ?
Patchouli and malt beer
I must confess, I did not dare to order a bottling of this fragrance while looking at the notes.
But I'm glad I got a sample from someone.
My first impression:
Patchouli and malt.
This smells kind of cool Coffee and wood also get through easily.
Musk only at the end and not excessive.
It's all built on the A*Man foundation The original scent DNA is definitely there and that's good. I like the scent.
That's 'cause my ex-boyfriend was wearing it. I asked the question about his perfume directly on the first date.
That's the way it is among perfume fanatics.

In any case, I find this variation much better than expected.
But you have to like patchouli and malt beer too...at least from the smell I find the fragrance successful and not as obtrusive or unpleasant as you might think when you look at this pyramid.
Masculine he is, but rather cool than cool and rather dominant than reserved.
At the same time it can be cuddly and warming.
Yeah, I'm still talking about the smell
So maybe I will order a bottling after all, now that I know what to expect.
Shelf life and Sillage are in the green range.
Holiday in the Highlands
I got this fragrance as a present last year, the brand and the fragrance were unknown to me until then and until today I only know this fragrance from Mugler.
But maybe this will change soon.

This fragrance reminds me of my holiday about 2 1/2 years ago, in November 2017 in Scotland. For me there were two reasons to visit this country, the beautiful landscapes and the Single Malt. We made a 10 day round trip there and visited four distilleries. This scent of Mugler reminds me of the moments when you, with two distilleries this was possible during the tour, enter the warehouse, the building where hundreds or even thousands of casks filled with whisky are lying. One immediately smells the single malt but also wood and a musty note. In one distillery they mainly worked with casks that previously contained sherry, there was also a sweetness in the room. Exactly this is what this scent reminds me of. Sweet whisky, wood and a musty, earthy note I like this scent extraordinarily well. It definitely lasts on my skin the whole day, even though the sillage and projection may decrease during the course of the day, but this scent is perceived by others all day long. I have often been asked by colleagues which scent I would wear this one and received compliments. For me this scent belongs in the seasons autumn and winter and is wearable in all situations. For a day in the office, however, I would recommend to be careful with the sprayer, for a nice walk and a party etc. it may be 1-2 sprayers more.
If you are looking for a strong, thoroughly masculine fragrance, if you like sweet scents and do not shy away from the alcoholic note, then I can warmly recommend this fragrance to you. Especially because it is quite affordable. You don't have to be afraid that others might think you've had a pub crawl the night before, that's not how it smells.
But the whisky is a component I perceive all day long.

Boozy love!
Pure havane was the first flanker from the A*Men line that i've taste. It was instant love. Pure Malt took me a few times to grow on me. Now, i can´t choose a favorite between both of them. For me, Pure Malt is a niche fragrance on a designer bottle. Unique, boozy, sweet, a perfect fragrance for fall imho. One of the few fragrances on my collection with a backup bottle. I can´t pass without this one.
Drunk comfort...
...is a condition that I haven't been able to fully enjoy for a long time. At least not in the conventional, social way. But I already have a fragrance in my collection for a long time, which actually gives me a similar flair. I'm talking about Pure Malt, the second flak ship, next to Pure Havanne, from Mugler. Why I haven't written a comment on Pure Malt yet is frankly beyond me, because it definitely has the potential to inspire. With its typical A* Men DNA, complemented by alcoholic peaty notes, it stands out from many mainstream fragrances and knows how to polarize.

About the fragrance: Pure Malt has a very sweet start! Musk and patchouli immediately give it an earthy touch. Together with the peat and whisky, you actually have the feeling of being sprayed with a long aged alcoholic drink. This "flag" surrounds one the first few hours and is also clearly noticeable for the wearer. In the further course of time, the woody notes are added. The whole remains as a sweet-woody film on the skin.

The shelf life of Pure Malt is enormous. It is one of the few fragrances that I can perceive on myself and that over the entire period. Also the next morning Pure Malt is able to welcome the wearer, similar to an alcohol hangover.
The Sillage is also extremely good. Although I often lack an occasion to wear it, it is disproportionately often commented on and supported by those around me. This circumstance sometimes makes me think, because Pure Malt is certainly not a fragrance that would serve the cliché of the mass-market favourite.
Much more I have the impression that the stronger the scent is perceived, the more people judge it. Almost as if other scents, which are perhaps much more sophisticated, would simply not be perceived due to the slightly worse performance. I also find it unusual that I myself rather rarely perceive perfume on my fellow men.

Pure Malt is due to its sweet and alcoholic character of course rather something for the autumn or winter. However, its strong, room-filling performance does not necessarily make it a fragrance for every day. It would probably be appropriate in an environment where it is important to stand out and be noticed, for example in a club, at a celebration or at the Christmas market.
The wearer can be both young and older. Only about as a teenager under 18 I would rather avoid him because of the alcohol content ;).

LG
Tom27
Peaty malt and yet no single malt whisky
Pure Malt opens with a sweet, spicy, juicy eruption of fruity notes and a strong portion of malt, which reminds me more of a malt extract or malt powder than of malt liqueur or malt whisky. In the background, woody notes and a delicious hint of cool, slightly musty and bitter peat follow very quickly. In the further development of the fragrance, the malt aspect diminishes somewhat to give the peat a little more freedom. At the same time the sweetness increases and a caramel chord is clearly perceptible. Pure Malt retains this fragrance from the ever softer malt peat note and the sweet caramel until it dries out completely after about 8 hours. During the wearing period the environment takes the scent clearly and I would speak of a slightly above average Sillage.
Pure Malt is best used in the cooler months, but can also work well as a fragrance on a warm evening.
I can recommend this fragrance for everyone if you prefer the sweet, gourmand and juicy scents, whose central theme is a malt peat accord.

ScentSlave
I was VERY anxious while waiting for this one
The opening is quite powerful; a Strong, dark note (my wife says it’s almost “a citrus vibe”) that resonates and carries a long sillage... fades into an almost “mysterious” vibe, one I’m enjoying very much (the chocolate is bliss). Longevity on my skin is about 6hours, and projection goes maybe 2 1/2. It’s definitely UNIQUE, so you probably want to try before you buy, but for those who like that dark, almost Smokey, slightly leathery feel, it’s absolutely perfect.
Jilly
Unmistakable - sweet, playful and slightly untamed
There are just scents that won't let you go. This Pure Malt is such a candidate. I smelled it the first time in the Kaufhof and thought hmm very tasty. But the price still deterred me and the bottle with this rubber coating didn't really appeal to me at that moment either. So I moved on to town with him on my arm. Something at this special smell composition remained however so firmly anchored in my thoughts and I did not know no more how the smell was called..... i searched stupidly in the net and did not know then any more which A*Men special edition it was.... So two days later I was back in that department store. But then there was only the tester. I tested this fragrance so intensively that I realized after a short time. Okay, you've smelled so many scents before, but nobody smelled like this. Slightly fruity, sweet it has something very playful and a definitely high recognition value. His Sillage is in upper mediocrity, the durability with 6 hours is fine but he polarized my senses. I then ordered it online and still find this fragrance dreamlike. Something for autumn and winter.
PBregovich
The fine line between mainstream and madness
Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler seems to be a quite polarizing fragrance on Parfumo. According to all definitions, which I might read here so far a correct Mainstreamduft. Or maybe not?

If you ignore the brand, you could also use the smell as an indicator for a niche scent. One often reads of characteristics such as exclusivity, eccentricity and complexity. Pure Malt is exclusive in its own way: very rarely have I seen him in a shop. Whether he's been hired or not, I don't know. I had to get my impressions from bottlings. Thanks again to Parfumo for this opportunity and my financial ruin.
In my opinion, the scent is also unusual. I am not a whisky connoisseur like 80% of the comment writers, but I agree that a whisky does not smell like this. For me these usually smell harsher and smokier (depending on whisky of course). As for the malt, I think I can smell it after all. When I apply Pure Malt I always have to think about beer. It doesn't smell like beer, but it has that malty note that makes me think about it. Associations with alcoholic beverages are always there. For me a fragrance that fits ideally into a smoky bar or pub. Or in a rustic, warm beer cellar in winter. Colder seasons definitely go better with him. Due to the swinging sweetness in combination with this malt note Pure Malt is in my opinion a quite unusual scent. I'm amazed at who's talking about uniform porridge. I have never smelled a similar scent and have now ventured into the niche. And I wouldn't call him Mainstream or Crowdpleaser. Please remember that you have trained your noses with long experience and often label everything sweet as mainstream broth. Before Parfumo I had really only smelled designer and crowdpleaser. Black XS, Armani Code, D&G pour Homme and the list goes on and on. When I first got a taste of Pure Malt I was a bit confused and maybe repelled. It smelled far too strange and strange to me. Therefore, in my opinion, a big plus in terms of eccentricity.

Then what about complexity? Pure Malt is a rather straightforward fragrance that gains sweetness in the drydown. However, he is still very interesting as far as his composition is concerned. Keywords like malt and alcohol often make you think of massive masculine firecrackers like Bentley for Men Intense. Pure malt is masculine in a different way. The scent is quite sweet next to the malt note, which makes it a rather warm scent. By far not a cuddly scent, but also not repellent and scratchy. It's that masculinity that doesn't have to prove itself. The class that doesn't feel intimidated by the appearance of others, but coolly does its thing and attracts attention. Pure Malt is self-confident.

The sweetness doesn't pose a problem for me, because it's far from the bubblegum sweetness you're used to from the mainstream. It is loud, but not too intrusive (you don't have to spray a thousand times). The durability is very good, on the clothes it is still omnipresent and on the skin I was able to perceive it yesterday easily 5 hours without further ado.

My comment may encounter divided opinions. That's what the fragrance itself does. Please do not feel threatened or offended, it is only my own opinion. I stay calm and look forward to the Zwickl tonight.

TombbbTombbb 138 days ago
I had high expectations about that one, but... Cheap coca-cola, sugar powder, donut, fruits. No depth at all. Awful, unwearable 3/10
Carlitos01Carlitos01 8 months ago
This perfume always remembers me the scent of a tasty and sweet Irish coffee with hint of smokiness. It exudes comfort and class. I love it!
Amazon1975Amazon1975 9 months ago
One of the worst sprayers ever.....fantastic fragrance....which for me doesn't last or project much
AmberScentAmberScent 21 months ago
A single malt whisky and a perfectly sweetened expresso! Drink it slowly but do apply some drops in your ears an neck. Pure Malt magic!
BreadyBready 22 months ago
Great fragrance! Amazing boozy scent and sweet drydown.
RocendrollRocendroll 23 months ago
[Tak] Świetny, mocny zapach. Bardzo męski. Odpowiednio słodki, odpowiednio ciężki.
MrHonestMrHonest 3 years ago
FanTASTIC warm and fruity scent with average performance (re-release). Not that boozy - more malty and musky. Overrated but l still love it.

by Moreno
by Smello
by Vawallpa
by Vawallpa

Popular Mugler

A*Men Pure Havane by Mugler Alien Essence Absolue by Mugler Alien Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler Les Exceptions - Oriental Extreme / Oriental Express by Mugler Angel Eau Sucrée 2014 by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt - Création 2013 by Mugler Mugler Cologne by Mugler Les Exceptions - Over The Musk by Mugler Alien - Le Goût du Parfum by Mugler Miroir Miroir - Miroir des Majestés by Mugler Angel Étoile des Rêves by Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka by Mugler Angel Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler Les Exceptions - Ambre Redoutable by Mugler Les Exceptions - Cuir Impertinent by Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee by Mugler Alien Les Parfums de Cuir by Mugler Alien Eau Sublime by Mugler A*Men Ultra Zest by Mugler