A*Men Pure Shot Pure Energy 2012

A*Men Pure Shot / Pure Energy by Mugler
Bottle Design Thierry Mugler
A*Men Pure Shot is a perfume by Mugler for men and was released in 2012. The scent is fresh-spicy. It was last marketed by Clarins.

Jacques Huclier

Top Notes Top NotesMintMint Juniper berryJuniper berry
Heart Notes Heart NotesCardamomCardamom White pepperWhite pepper
Base Notes Base NotesSequoiaSequoia PatchouliPatchouli

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 08.03.2022.

According to our information, Pure Shot was withdrawn from the market and re-launched under the name Pure Energy. The reason behind it is obviously the fact that Oscar Pistorius was the face of "Pure Shot" campaign.

3 in-depth fragrance descriptions
A summer love
Without any expectations, I tore open the beautiful white packaging many summers ago. Yes, I tore it open, because somehow I couldn't wait. The white rubber thingy felt so beautiful, so smooth, so perfect, so flawless, so clean. The blue star sparkled at me.
The first pressure on the rubber cap and this wonderful splashing out of this so horny liquid... Oh, so wonderful... This synthetic freshness - which somehow at first reminded a cooling shower gel and then became so great with lots of synthetic spice..., Unfortunately, the so great prelude lasted only briefly, too briefly. Would he have had more performance, so I would have put on a larger stock.
After a summer (maximum 8 weeks) the magic was over. He misses me now again; in the summer at 30 degrees.

So I go out and search: synthetic, fresh, aquatic, metallic, peppery/spicy...

Will I find another summer love? The last trip to the perfumery yielded nothing, just the realization that the old classics are still better than the new stuff. However, the lady was very eager
Thierry Lalique Whuggler
Fält me very difficult to classify this fragrance. It starts with me on the skin with sweet mint, citric notes and then turns into a small pepper bomb with lemon. In the drydown, which I reach after about 70 minutes, I smell a mixture of almost imperceptible, light "lemon pepper" mixed with warm patchouli. Cardamom... I don't notice... and sequoia... honestly I don't know how to smell it, but I can't sniff anything woody. Sillage is on my skin for a summer scent quite okay, he is not loud but you can easily perceive him in arm length. The shelf life is rather poor. After about 4.5 hours the fun is over. The fragrance is definitely a beautiful summer candidate with which one can (certainly) stand out positively, since it does not belong to the aquatic uniform mush that one so often encounters in summer.

Now I have to make a small comparison to one of my favourite fragrances, because Pure Energy / Pure Shot reminds me very much of this one: Lalique White.

People honestly, I find those just resemble freshly sprayed very strongly, Lalique is at most pepperier. While the Lalique in the starting phase after the lemon with a strong pinch of pepper around itself beats, Mugler mint and (not quite so strong) pepper with light lemon form the prelude. The Mugler becomes herber in the drydown by Patchouli, the Lalique herber by the musk.

Both scents are very similar from my perspective, both I like. I'll do a direct comparison test, I'm wrong.

Conclusion: I think the fragrance is awesome! Probably because he just gets so close to my absolute summer favorite Lalique White. The latter is more worth the price, but the Mugler has a few peculiarities that make it nevertheless worthwhile. :)

Pleasant Mint
Pure Shot opens with a very pleasant mint accompanied by a subtle sweetness. The mint is not as spicy as those in, for exemple, toothpaste. It gives a fresh aroma effortlessly.

Towards the drydown I can smell patchouli, pepper and some woodsiness along with the mint. But the whole composition is well blended and none is overpowering. It's a casual aromatic fragrance with a certain attitude. The spiciness helps lift the scent up without irritating. I feel very refreshed while wearing it.

After 7 hours the scent is still there. But the sillage is very close along the wearing. I personally consider it a good option as a fresh mint fragrance even for girls. That said, I have to admit it's not as surprising as its cousins from the same house. But still, try it blind, it's actually a lovely fragrance for summer.

simplicity................don't over think it
Frosted Patchouli................clean smell, straightforward...............sporty, buy if you are not expecting much

Applause for a Big Shot!
Pure Shot, there it is, and it went straightway into my collection!

It's been a while ago that Thierry Mugler did something in a lighter or fresher style. The legendary Mugler Cologne has peacefully aged, the aquatic Ice*Men is discontinued, and the last summer attempt Sunessence Orage d'Été was a lapse. Anything else with the label A*Men (or Angel Men in the US) are sweetish, oriental fatsos.

The trendy plain white flask with that bright blue star is a feast for the eyes. It elates you even before the first try, and IMHO it is the most beautiful flacon of the A*Men series so far. They used a material reminiscent of rubber, so it is handy and has some grip. I like to touch it, and the first spritz finds its way onto my skin just by itself.

Pure Shot offers slender and piquant spicy notes of the juniper and white pepper style. They meet with what we call “Aprilfrische” in Germany (April's freshness), a well known term originally coined by fabric softener ad campagnes. This accord vaguely reminds of Patchouli, but it is a bit more than that. And this fabric softener note has something physical, related to the wearers' body. This creates a puzzling illusion: how much of that is perfume, and how much the natural scent of a man? Well, I guess one should call that sexy!

The combination of bodily presence with slender spices is brilliant. Besides all eroticism, it is a wake up signal which may considerably increase the wearer's sympathy value.

There is only one thing that Pure Shot has in common with the other A*Mens: also this one is not a weakling. Pure Shot has slim and wiry muscles, and he knows how to use them. Silage is more than average, which is good in this case. Wherever people may sense Pure Shot, they will look out for the source of it, and then come near. No matter if you are in a theater or in an underground train – if you need lots of space around you, Pure Shot should not be your first choice.

Pure Shot does not have lots of development. I assume rather few ingredients, maybe some of the newer molecules, that interact seamlessly with each other. You do not find this combination very often in perfumes. 7 de Loewe comes to my mind, as an alternative. With frankincense and vetiver it might present itself a little bit darker, but Pure Shot has hit the perfect balance between its two opposing aspects.

Pure Shot is the rare case of a new mid market release that satisfies all requirements one can have for a decent fragrance. Highly recommendable!

4 short views on the fragrance
Lmr4j3ireLmr4j3ire 7 months ago
The most boring one in the line. I don't perceive any mint, just bitter juniper & pepper. Smells fresh, but it's a window cleaner freshness.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 9 months ago
A fresh without citrus fruits! It's minty, light green, spicy and awesome on spring and winter sunny days. Summer usage is obvious.
SAQIBSAQIB 3 years ago
this one is good when it is HOT, LIKE here in Pakistan
HajuvanaHajuvana 5 years ago
A sports scent w/o citrus, and thus rare.
Always loved those flasks but couldn't handle the juice? Here's your excuse - a non-fan's Mugler.

Images

32 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Mugler

A*Men Pure Havane by Mugler Alien Essence Absolue by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt by Mugler Alien Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Iced Star by Mugler Les Exceptions - Over The Musk by Mugler Angel Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler Les Exceptions - Oriental Extreme / Oriental Express by Mugler Angel Eau Sucrée 2014 by Mugler Mugler Cologne by Mugler Angel Étoile des Rêves by Mugler Alien Fusion by Mugler Miroir Miroir - Miroir des Majestés by Mugler Alien - Le Goût du Parfum by Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka by Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee by Mugler Alien Les Parfums de Cuir by Mugler Angel (2019) (Eau de Toilette) by Mugler Angel (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Mugler