A*Men Pure Tonka 2016

A*Men Pure Tonka by Mugler
A*Men Pure Tonka is a popular limited perfume by Mugler for men and was released in 2016. The scent is gourmand-sweet. Projection and longevity are above-average. It was last marketed by Clarins. Limited Edition

Jacques Huclier

LavenderLavender
RosemaryRosemary
Venezuelan tonka beanVenezuelan tonka bean
CappucinoCappucino
PatchouliPatchouli
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Michael, last update on 08.10.2021.

Mr. Strong
Thanks to Serafina I could test A*MEN PURE TONKA and thank her first :)

The blend of cocoa, coffee and tonka bean is powerful, unbeatable and barely nuanced by a dense, chewy, dark and thick patchouli.

Because everything in PURE TONKA is thick: its scent, its duration, its aroma, its perception, its taste and its texture.

It's one of the few perfumes where you have to know how to dose, and control when to use.

Its aromatic accord is linear and consistent.

Bashke81
A cup of coffee with sugar and whipped cream.
I am not a huge Mugler fan at all, but Pure Tonka is very very nice.
It smells exactly the same as bond no 9 New Haarlem minus the big and bold sweetness as you find in New Harlem.
Rich, warm cappuccino with just a hint of soapiness to keep it clean and very inviting.
This one is a keeper!
8,5/10

Mugler Pure Tonka EDT
I used this at Xmas and I loved it , it's so warm and comforting. It's ultra sweet and smells like a delicious chocolate latte or freshly baked toffee pudding. It is an absolute beast for longevity. Lasts about 10 hours on me. Sillage is above average. Not obnoxious though. The only thing is it doesn't have any citruses or anything fresh to lift the scent. It's just Chocolate, Coffee, Tonka which is lush smelling. But I find it more cozy and cuddly. Rather than sexy smelling and fresh. Its just a complete dark scent. Where as I like a blend of light and dark elements to make a more versatile complete scent.
Scent 8/10 Sillage 9/10 Longevity 10/10

I feel like a pancake
This is a very nice fragrance, make me feel yummy! It’s warm and inviting and it’s no surprise, it smells just like a pancake.

The note breakdown here is different than fragrantica’s so I’ll go more by gut this time. At first spray I got a very familiar whiff, hints of the A*men dna pop here and there but it quickly turns on its head. As expected this is a sweet fragrance, a gourmand and the tonka gives a syrup-y maple-y vibe that combined with the coffee/vanilla combo is just mouth watering.

I’m unable to discuss performance as this is my second time wearing it but I expect decent performance considering how strong the projection is in the first couple of hours but I’ll update eventually never the less.
The bottle here is... just awful. I hate A*men’s bottles, specially the sprayer, they are so hard to get to work and this time they managed to make it even worst (somehow).

If you’re into the A*men line this is a big one to look into, you always hear about Pure Havane and Pure Malt and rightfully so but Pure Tonka is just as good if you ask me.

*Update: This stuff is crazy longlasting, I applied around 5:30pm and it was still going strong today when I woke up. 4 sprays go a looooong way
DonJuanDeCat
One wants to be tasty for a change!
Hi, guys, how you doing? Good, I hope! Or at least better than me, since I just had a more difficult tooth extraction (at least while I was writing these lines)... *sigh* So I'm publishing a men's fragrance commentary again, so that I don't have to go over the perfumes here all drugged up with painkillers :DD

Anyway, today I'm writing about an A*Men fragrance, which, like the women's fragrances of the Angel series, are usually a bit of a habit, especially the EDP of them, since they can sometimes smell really strong. Especially with the original scent of A*Men, even before any flankers appeared, it was mostly rather like that, that you either liked this scent or couldn't stand it at all. There was hardly such a "so la la mediocre" here.

In the meantime, of course, several fragrances of this series have been released, there was even one where I could talk about comics to the hearts of nerd and freak, because it had the great name Kryptomint, which reminded me of kryptonite. You know that one?! No, the ladies don't know it of course, but most of the gentlemen here are more open-minded about comics, so the guys here surely know that kryptonite is the weak point (or rather one of the main weak points) of Superman (and of course the weak point of the insanely hot Supergirl, aaaaah!!!! :D). And since this is a men's scent, I could theoretically talk about nerd stuff like this endlessly, but you're all lucky that I'm going to talk about A*Men Pure Tonka today, a scent that has nothing to do with comics, but smells like coffee and chocolaty-sweet scents and with a little luck might even make us guys bite (and with a lot of luck even me!! :D)

A little later it still smells of coffee and slightly chocolaty sweetness, it also has something of those chocolate chewy candies like Storck's giants, you know, those things that not only fill teeth but also like to rip out whole teeth... baah!
A little later it still smells sweetish and also a little powdery after vanilla and tonka, whereby the vanilla now comes across more intensively. The general DNA of the A*Men fragrances also weakens considerably. As a tart note lavender is added, rosemary I rather smell less.
Towards the end not much changes. You can still smell some coffee, then of course a lot of vanilla and tonka and some lavender. The fragrance still has a slightly synthetic aura, but that doesn't bother me as much because it's not as "cheap and synthetic" as some other fragrances. All in all, Pure Tonka is a very beautiful fragrance!
The silage and the durability:*
The sillage is good, so that you are enveloped in a larger cloud of scent, which should be fragrant to others for a good while. The durability is extremely good, the scent is still smellable on the skin for many hours the next day, weakly radiating but still smelling.

As mentioned at the beginning I could well imagine that this scent is also well received by the opposite sex and that you can even bite into it (hmm... maybe I should get this scent,... for my women's problems EVERYTHING is certainly helpful, hey he :DD).

In terms of fragrance, it is more of a fragrance for autumn and winter, perhaps it goes on not too warm spring days. As said before, it is a very good occasion to go out, but of course you can also wear it like this if you just want to smell good. Therefore, I would recommend everyone to try this fragrance.

And with that I have come to the end for today. I wish you all a nice evening, take care and see you soon :)

Gourmand with a twist
This is my first A*Men so I will not compare it to other flankers.

I wouldn't call Pure Tonka, instead, I would call it A*Men NUSSBEISSER , it is a very nice gourmand scent with a twist of hazelnuts with making it not too sweet and perfectly balanced.

It starts with green notes, you can feel some herbs, after a while, there is the worst part in my opinion, super sweet cookie monster. Too sweet for me, but fortunately after like half an hour, it goes away and then we have a nicely balanced scent.

You can imagine, winter cafeteria, with pralines, dark chocolate and a cup of cappuccino. Your place to hide and relax during cold winter outside.

A Latte Gourmand Vibe
SOTD: Thierry Mugler Pure Tonka as of 12/20/18

A very warm sweet latte gourmand to my nose, sweet but not overly in your face sweet. Coffee, cacao, Tonka bean and vanilla well blended, Vanilla is there but it takes a back seat, Coffee and Cacao dominates the scent. Sprayer is just horrendous on these bottle flask. Had 4 sprays on the neck area and wrists, projects between 2-4 hrs and then becomes close to skin. Longevity/Performance on my skin 12-15+ hrs. Overall rating for me is 8.5/10. Still prefer Pure Havane, It will be in my winter rotation this winter. Recommended
SchatzSucher
Sometimes you have to get it right
At the bottom of my heart I am a calm, level-headed and humble person. Loud, over-excited behaviour is not my thing, I feel more comfortable in small, cosy groups than in huge crowds My life runs in an orderly fashion and not much exciting stuff happens to me either.
And who knows me a little bit, also knows about my aversion to fragrances that are too penetrating, too scratchy, too prickly, too animalistic and too leathery.
And yet there are always exceptions, which surprisingly enough I like very much. There are some exceptions in my collection.

The A*Men family should normally be one of those fragrances that I should scream to get away from, because they embody everything that I normally dislike.
Think.... I find these scents ingenious!
The original A*Men has been an integral part of my collection since its appearance 22 years ago, is worn with pleasure in winter and, in economical dosage, is an exceptional fragrance that is unrivalled in terms of durability and projection.
A lot has already been written about this and I can't add anything else to it.
Some time ago I was allowed to try the Pure Havane on the basis of a bottling and I liked it very much.

Over the years the A*Men family has been extended by several fragrances and recently I got hold of A*Men Pure Tonka.
And what can I say, I enjoy the scent as much as the progenitor. It is in no way inferior to him in appearance, durability and charisma.
It is not too far away from the original A*Men, but it still goes its own way, because the tonka bean is in the center of attention and can smell out very clearly from the beginning.
The tonka bean is the aromatic seed of the tonka bean tree, from the leguminous/butterfly family, which is native to northern South America.
Tonka beans are used in the kitchen, among other things, where they are appreciated for their sweet, vanilla-like aroma, with a hint of woodruff However, they should be used with caution as they are classified as carcinogenic due to their coumarin content.
Used in perfumery, they are said to give scents a hypnotic and erotic effect.

This vanilla woodruff note gives the fragrance its defining character. I would like to say that there is also a hint of almond floating along.
In the background, an idea of coffee makes itself felt, but does not come to the fore very clearly. This coffee note is stronger in the original A*Men, more roasted and gives it a certain "dirty" note, which is missing here in the Pure Tonka.
Pure Tonka is also less complex in its composition and in its course, as there are hardly any floral aspects built in.
The fragrance is altogether a bit quieter and more muted than the ancestor, but still loud enough to attract attention. A very strong sweetness is spread over the whole thing.
Not much is happening here anymore, I hardly notice the other notes, a trace of vanilla still comes out, the course is altogether very linear. After about 10 hours the scent leaves, but remains on the clothing far beyond that The cold season is best suited for such room-filling fragrances, I can recommend it for the evening, and I can confirm its suitability for both him and her.

The bottle is a medium catastrophe, this hideous plastic armour as a cover makes spraying a feat of strength that I almost get a cramp. My finger hurts every time. That could have been done better At least the glass is protected in case it should fall down. One thinks practically
Opinions differ on the fragrances from the Mugler house. They are not exactly modest and discreet overall. But I find these daring tightrope walks between beautiful and hideously very brave. But it's up to you to decide what you like best. I liked the Muglers that I have met so far
Every now and then, such little escapes from the familiar environment are great fun and provide variety. Sometimes I also turn the system a little louder and let myself be carried away.
Life is often serious enough and without humor and fun it just doesn't work and every now and then you should take a bang and if it is olfactory.
And under this aspect I choose the fragrances from the A*Men-family from time to time, just because they are fun and can really fly around your ears and carry you away, if you get involved with them.
If you are not deterred by such a great scent with a lot of sweetness and these gourmet notes, you should try it and have fun.
Liquorice and cappuccino nougat
Finally... my first Mugler. I had tested the standard A*Men some time ago in the shop and found it rather unpleasantly "crass". For some time now, however, my love for coffee has made me feel the need to wear a fragrance in this direction and I find "Pure Tonka" to be quite a beautiful representative.

I can understand that the scent is too sweet for some, this crass sweetness that some members* describe here I can also perceive, but only if I apply it on paper. On my skin the scent reminds me of liquorice at the beginning, I can't smell rosemary or lavender. In the drydown the scent turns over on my skin, the "bear dirt impression" disappears. Instead - as someone has already described here - I get the association of burnt/caramelised sugar, but in a pleasant way, it smells "roasted" and at exactly this point the coffee note suddenly pops into my nose. Sweet! Coffee + sugar or crème brûlée or flan caramell. Taken together, these notes give me the picture of a Caramell cappuccino or - as my girlfriend called it - a cappuccino motorte.
Really great and I like it very much! Yes, it is sweet in any case (but I know sweeter scents), but not so sweet that I would find it unpleasant or unbalanced. The tonka bean and vanilla also resonate in the background, but I find the name Pure Tonka rather inappropriate for the fragrance. In my opinion "Pure Cappucino" or "Pure Caramel" would have been more suitable.

Shelf life is about 10h, the Sillage is very strong at the beginning in my opinion, retreats after about 3.5h and looks very subtle (but also pleasant!).

Conclusion:

Beautiful, sweet coffee scent that makes me want more Mugler (Pure Coffee and Pure Malt are two possible candidates)

The supreme gourmand wave
It should not be difficult to write about my signature perfume.
Hell is not it!
It's not a piece of cake to remain objective with my opinions as if I would be going to use it for the first time.
Sweet perfumes are a 21st century invention; I think the original A * Men of 1996 was the anchor that influenced an avalanche of greedy fragrances, albeit with several streams of interpretation. It's worth noting that I like sweet perfumes, although I find 1 Million, as well some others, to be boring. If it were not so, it would be at least strange to choose as my signature scent, such a sweet perfume as Pure Tonka.

This is my favorite A * Men flanker, of the eight I currently own. I like all very much but this one is "special". And it's not an easy observation for me because of the grandeur of the original A * Men, Pure Malt and Pure Havane. Pure Tonka has been the last one I bought. It was better that way as if I bought Pure Tonka first, I could have finished my A*Men adventure then, and completely satisfied by the virtues of Pure Tonka. I only complain about the spray on all A * Men! But I got used to wasting one squirt for every two that I applied successfully.

Pure Tonka opens almost fresh with a minty chord of lavender, but reveals immediately a strong caramel worthy of the best flan pudding, quite creamy and with a hint of bittersweet wild honey. This scent should certainly be the strong chord that is desired for the used tonka bean ingredients.
The scent is fairly linear and I just notice the disappearance of the minty lavender before the drydown.
Somewhere in this richly sweet blend, I distinguish the striking roasted coffee bean and the semi-bitter cocoa powder, as if justifying the aroma of cappuccino that everyone feels. Also present are an earthy patchouli and a sweet vanilla, a must-have inheritance of the original A*Men.Here the vanilla has the effect of accentuating further the flan pudding mentioned chord.
Out of nowhere, I also feel a cinnamon note, light and hidden behind the other notes, but completing the established "gourmandise" of this perfume.
The base of this perfume, with which the drydown begins, reminds me either of a sweet cappuccino due to the cocoa, coffee and cinnamon notes, or a caramelized vanilla flan pudding, soft and creamy, with a string of bitter caramel and sprinkled with cinnamon.
It's a delicious treat for any gourmand scents lover.
The performance is outstanding. You may get easily 12+ hours of longevity, more than 6 feet of sillage and a projection well above 3 hours.
This is really a top quality fragrance from Thierry Mugler. Just get it before being discontinued or reformulated, but only if you like strong sensations.

Nik604Nik604 13 days ago
Every other Mugler after an revolutionary A man is mehh, an overpriced and overhyped cotton candy.
Lmr4j3ireLmr4j3ire 4 months ago
Name says it all - it's delicious, mesmerizing tonka. Smells like sweet cappuccino or a coffee-based dessert. Stunning gourmand scent, 10/10
Kazos07Kazos07 5 months ago
Yes, sometimes I enjoy smelling like a cake
KimJongKimJong 1 year ago
It's a kind of advanced form of Rochas Man IMO. It can't be said to be of high artistic value, but it is a huge compliment getter.
GreMuserGreMuser 1 year ago
Must had been named 'Pure Cappuccino', ok if you like very gourmondish fragrances.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 3 years ago
Boozy caramelized vanilla; absolutely lovely. The best A Men flanker by far
AmberScentAmberScent 3 years ago
This sweet tonka bean bomb is my signature bomb. It just makes me feel happy and confident. My signature could only be designed by Mugler.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
Pure Tonka is a gourmand linear but lively fragrance, with a strong and sweet accord of tonka flourishing all through its life span.

by Shivsri13
by MightyMike
by Bajki
by Bajki

Popular Mugler

A*Men Pure Havane by Mugler Alien Essence Absolue by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt by Mugler Alien Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Iced Star by Mugler Les Exceptions - Oriental Extreme / Oriental Express by Mugler Angel Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler Les Exceptions - Over The Musk by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Eau Sucrée 2014 by Mugler Mugler Cologne by Mugler Alien - Le Goût du Parfum by Mugler Alien Les Parfums de Cuir by Mugler Angel (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Mugler Alien Eau Sublime by Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee by Mugler A*Men Ultra Zest by Mugler Angel Étoile des Rêves by Mugler Miroir Miroir - Miroir des Majestés by Mugler Les Exceptions - Ambre Redoutable by Mugler