A*Men Angel Men 1996

A*Men / Angel Men by Mugler
Bottle Design Thierry Mugler
A*Men is a perfume by Mugler for men and was released in 1996. The scent is sweet-gourmand. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Jacques Huclier

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Coriander, Lavender, Peppermint
Heart Notes Heart NotesHoney, Jasmine, Caramel, Lily-of-the-valley, Patchouli, Cedarwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Benzoin, Coffee, Musk, Sandalwood, Styrax, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 27.10.2020.

Not my cup of tea
Although I have no aversion to sweet perfumes, I did not like A*Men by Thierry Mugler at all.

Over the whole period from opening to closing, an enormously synthetic sweetness stands out, which in my opinion is too much of a good thing. This is an enormously dull sweetness. In my opinion, the scents as a whole appear enormously synthetic, almost plastic. Big changes are also not present with the time. It smells consistently dull, synthetic and sweet.

This is a perfume that gives me the impression that the individual fragrances have been mixed up wildly. They do not harmonize well with each other. Almost all the components seem synthetic and extremely dull, so dull that it almost makes me sick.

It's not my case at all. But that's like all matters of taste. If you like the scent, I can highly recommend this perfume, because the shelf life is very long and the sillage is very strong.

Masterpiece!
I seem to be late to the game on this one. I finally purchased the original A*Men from Mugler and it's amazing. I can see what the buzz is all about. The caramel, the milk, the coffee... wow.... amazing, especially for the year it came out in the fragrance community. I absolutely love this fragrance, it's sweet, gourmand, yet spicy, manly and milky all at the same time. I smell coffee, but would like to smell more, and perhaps it's just how this fragrance reacts on my skin. I can't say enough about this fragrance by Mugler. Definitely a compliment-getter! I give this a 9/10!

A little too out there.
My journey with Thierry Mugler started with Pure Malt, possible my favorite fragrance today, and my first real, "quality" fragrance. And so when I first smelled the original I desperately wanted to like it. Badly. And I sort of did, sort of. I even went so far as to buy a bottle. Firstly, much like the other A*Men scents, the sillage and longevity are amazing. And alot of the sweet notes are done perfectly, the honey and caramel notes are balanced very well. That being said, there is something deeply off-putting in the scent as well, borderline offensive. I believe it's the coriander notes coming out, they absolutely dominate everything else for the first few minutes to half an hour. Whilst I don't hate it, for me it certainly doesn't live up to any of the Pure series, especially Pure Malt, even though Havane and Tonka are amazing too. I still wear it come winter, but only rarely, and I apply it well before I plan to appear in public, as it evolves into a truly beautiful fragrance in time. So in summary, right after application, it's too bold and exotic for my olfactory palate, so to speak, but in evolution, it becomes sweet, distinct, and very warm.

Timeless
Timeless!
Sweet, but not that sweet cloying spicebomb or similar crap.
It's the male version of angel, another pillar of perfumery, and in fact the analogies are there. Gourmand, woody, sophisticated, vibrant.
The opening is made very sweet by tonka, honey sandal and coffee, but it is all very spicy with citrus and coriander. Very woody base always clean calm and relaxing sweetness.
To say that this masterpiece is a blasphemy.It is like saying that the daisy tastes like basil!
Powerful and long-lasting, ideal in the cold months.
I heard the version today, and the sweetness is very syntetic and watered down, it is worth covering an older one.

rating 8.5

A*Men (@Nose.Knows.No.Notes)
• THIERRY MUGLER A*MEN •

I've been avoiding Mugler's men's line for no better reason then absolutely hating the bottle designs, so it's about time to dive in.
A*Men is a familiar scent, although I never tried it myself. To my nose, the sweetness is a bit too much. It's mainly a chocolate scent, but not a powdery, lifelike chocolate, rather a syrupy dark chocolate sauce. A bergamote and mint brings some welcome and quite interesting contrast to the sweetness.

I went a bit light on my first wear, which I preferred smell wise, but it fades too quickly. For the second time I sprayed some extra, resulting in a harsh sweet opening, almost going into liquorice territory. I wish the coffee note was stronger, but I know Mugler has better options in their line-up for that purpose.
A*Men is not something I'd wear myself, but it's an appealing fragrance for a reasonable price, so I can see why it's popular •

Please follow my IG Nose.Knows.No.Notes for more reviews and fragrance photography
Frankenstone
Giving the fragrance its time
A very unique, strong fragrance, I am surprised that it is still available in the drugstores. With 3 sprays you have almost overdosed. The top note smells very pleasant for me, sweet with a male-minty freshness. After a few hours the fresh fragrance disappears and the fragrance develops very sweet, caramel-like - which is not bad at all! however, this sweet is always accompanied by this tar note which can be too much of a good thing from time to time. But it is precisely this "tarry" (Thierry-ge haha) that makes the fragrance unique. It's best to test it yourself and give the fragrance a little time. I smelled it the first time in Paris and found it terrible. It was only after the third attempt that I found him interesting. Today I like to wear it in winter
Crystom
Sandro, no more blind buying
Wow.

Now I've been romping around on Parfumo for a few weeks and thanks to your reviews and writer-like comments, I'm getting a lot more buy than I was before. My skin and my surroundings are happy - my wallet less. Item.

Yesterday I read in a magazine that my discounter nearby is setting up a stand in front of the discounter this week, which sells brand perfume at fair prices. So let's go.

So if I'm standing there, I don't even know exactly what I'm gonna buy. "Hmm, what have you seen/read on Parfumo a few times? I did, I did, I did - MOMENT. What's with the blue star on it?! I know that from somewhere, don't I?" Price was reduced by almost 50%. Okay, let's go. Blind purchase. It'll be all right.

When I get home, I spray something on my wrist. YOUNG. What... is... that. Something in this top note doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm almost disgusted. Well, wait and see. An hour later, I still have this unpleasant fragrance on my wrist. NO - NOT LIKE THIS! I need to wash this off. It can't be.

Now I'm going to read through what the scents are like. Bergamot mhh not bad. Lavender mhh not bad. Peppermint interesting. CORIANDER?! Wait a minute, what?! What makes you think that (sorry my opinion) by far the most repulsive thing there is to put in a perfume? No, I'm good.

There are people who love this perfume - I'm definitely not :)

By the way, on Sundays I go to my parents for dinner, Dad can smell it and if he likes - please!
Calibraman82
SWEET SWEETEST SWEETEST :_)
This is an absolute classic, have known the fragrance for years or wear it for years
Some find it smells like cotton candy but A MEN is with the strongest long-lasting intense fragrance

I used to love A MEN like until now today

would say 70 % find A MEN good

30% find it too sweet too violent too heavy

BUT the 70 percent who find A MEN good
the rave love him

lg from m POTT

Extreme caution here
I really love A*Men DNA's. In their majority, they're very masculine. But this one, is one of the strongest (if not the strongest) for me. You just can't "exist" without being noticed with this one. VERY strong presence.
Not that cheap, but it has to be in my collection. I got it some time ago. I don't have enough experience to describe every single fragrance exactly as it is, but it's a nice one. Only for gentlemen, if you ask me. Very careful with the trigger and if you don't want to kill someone, make a use of it in the late fall and winter.
Performance.. No joke bro. EASILY 12+ hours with a projection that makes its own way in any crowd. (easily over 3 hours). I don't often go for it, but when I do, I apply 2 sprays MAX. Sometimes, even 1 spray on the chest area it's more than enough. It can be too strong for many. Be careful with it.
Overall : 8/10
Respect for Thierry Mugler's A*Men
For a long time I have been on a journey into my olfactory past. She begins in the 70s with the perfumes of grandma and mother. Then follow the 80s with their first own purchases of pocket money. A*Men falls in the mid 90s, time of career entry.
What attracted me to the perfumery at that time was the unusual bottle made of black rubber and the beautiful blue, transparent star.
A few days ago a bottle of A*Men arrived here and like every time it was a special, very exciting moment to smell again what I liked very much decades ago. After all, perception is no longer the same. But once again I was certainly not disappointed!
The top note, which remains and works relatively long, was not so strong, angular, fresh and herbaceous in my memory. Here I particularly notice mint. And coriander. It's probably responsible for the somewhat irritating angularity.
Then finally the sweet phase begins, which I loved at that time so much: Caramel, honey and - so that it doesn't get too sweet - earthy patchouli. Just warm and cozy.
After about 10 hours there was still an absolutely amazingly authentic coffee note to smell and vanilla.
I like the A*Men's well traceable fragrance, individual components are easy to smell. It's a pleasure to pursue that in itself. I associate this fact with terms such as honesty, down-to-earthness and directness. This perfume does not swagger and tweak around, it shows a high presence and clarity and demands attention.
For me, the blue waters of the stars - beyond the bitter opening - are absolutely unisex. For women who are looking for gourmand sweetness, without twitchiness and dolliness.
At that time I was often asked about this olfactory masterpiece and it was also bought later. I'm curious to see how it will go now - twenty years later.
Thierry Mugler is a brave artist. He dared something. In his fashion, in his costumes (see Madonna) and in his private life. As far as I can see, I would say that the fragrances launched under his name were also innovative and - because of their strength and unusualness - courageous. Success proves him right. I have respect for that and think that Mugler fragrances will accompany and enrich us for some time to come

BertolucciKBertolucciK 60 days ago
I usually love strong scents, powerhouses, and I love some flankers of A*Men but there is something here that i really dislike, a sweet tar.
TombbbTombbb 152 days ago
I didn't think I would ever rate a frag as a 1/10, but here we are. Absolutely disgusting smell. Chokingly sweet, donut, caramel.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 8 months ago
Weird and risky the aromatic-gourmand-resinous accord giving to this scent the typical "TM" imprinting. A warm and strong winter perfume
GabrielCEGabrielCE 20 months ago
Solid scent, reasonable price and excellent performance are everything this perfume has in addition to the sweetened smell of burnt wood ;)
AJGAJG 20 months ago
Any one. Any where. Any time. A favourite.
Top 5
AmberScentAmberScent 23 months ago
A load of caramel & patchouli are behind the A*Men revolution back in 1996. This is the first 21st century perfume arriving 5 years early.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 24 months ago
A*Men father of 18 flankers, I praise yours 22 years of satifactory olfactory services. Thanks for the caramel, patchouli, coffee & vanilla.
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
2018 version is a bit different from 1996 one. The newer has a core alike Twinings Chamomile Lemon & Honey, the original was more powdery.
HajuvanaHajuvana 2 years ago
I hated it in the 90s - I thought it was preposterous. Now, it's sunny & 25°C in Helsinki, I'm rocking 7 sprays & it's working like a drug.

by Rasierwasser
by Nyze29
by Nyze29
by LemonDelight
by LemonDelight
überbordende, dunkelkomplexe Süße - Mugler A*men (1996)
by Parma
by OvidiuH
by Dancon
by Dancon

Popular Mugler

A*Men Pure Havane by Mugler Alien Essence Absolue by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt by Mugler Alien Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler Les Exceptions - Oriental Extreme / Oriental Express by Mugler Angel Eau Sucrée 2014 by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt - Création 2013 by Mugler Mugler Cologne by Mugler Alien - Le Goût du Parfum by Mugler Les Exceptions - Over The Musk by Mugler Angel Étoile des Rêves by Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee by Mugler Angel Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler Les Exceptions - Ambre Redoutable by Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka by Mugler Alien Les Parfums de Cuir by Mugler Miroir Miroir - Miroir des Majestés by Mugler Angel (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Mugler A*Men Ultra Zest by Mugler