A*Men Angel Men 1996

A*Men / Angel Men by Mugler
Bottle Design Thierry Mugler
A*Men is a perfume by Mugler for men and was released in 1996. The scent is sweet-gourmand. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Jacques Huclier

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Coriander, Lavender, Peppermint
Heart Notes Heart NotesHoney, Jasmine, Caramel, Lily of the valley, Patchouli, Cedarwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Benzoin, Coffee, Musk, Sandalwood, Styrax, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 06.04.2021.

One who needs time
It took me a while to get used to this scent myself. In fact, I have received him as a sample and at first sniffing not liked at all. The fragrance I had actually already checked off, but after about 10-15 min noticed that a fragrance combination arises that I want to smell again and again. Shortly back to the prelude, ... and the question why this fragrance has to smell so unpleasant at the start (chocolatey tar). Apparently it has to be that way in order to create that nice drydown. Who evaluates the fragrance directly after spraying makes here really a mistake. Likewise, the question arises to which occasions the fragrance fits well at all. Currently a little difficult at Corona times, but I think he fits, for example, very well to go out to eat. For me, it is in any case nothing for the office or sports and also not for the summer. "My wife doesn't like it by the way". Positive ladies reaction to this are probably rather meow, if it is important to you.

I just smell Him myself with pleasure, because he also comes across very masculine and am glad to have Him in my collection. Definitely something different. In the drydown he has convinced me after this really very difficult start.

The Gour(man)d !
Thierry Mugler (Nowadays just MUGLER) changed the perfumery in 1992 when Angel was launched. A fruity patchouli, intoxicating and mesmerizing. A fragrance that defined a new olfactory family: Gourmand.

After the huge success of it, they needed a counterpart and hired Jacques Huclier to try this theme in a masculine fragrance. A very risky try because at that time, the world didn't have many sweet fragrances (Joop! Homme and Le Male were the 2 most popular ones, i guess), but it turns out to be another successful creation.

This masculine version takes the chocolaty patchouli heart of Angel which made it unforgivable and adds tar, caramel, coffee and lavender. And its freaking delicious!!!

The lavender helps it be more wearable and less sweet and the tar opening turns it more masculine. The development is quite flat but the composition is so glorious that i don't care. Tar, caramel and coffee are super strong in the opening. A sweet bite that immediately takes you to heaven. The tar is present in the early stages but quickly fades out as the fragrance evolve and the lavender-patchouli combo became more evident. The thing that makes this fragrance unique and mesmerizing is this strange masculine combination of lavender and patchouli with this eddible caramel-chocolate-coffee thing going on througout the fragrance lifetime, and it's much more evident here than in the flankers which are more focused on other compounds like the sweet tobacco on Pure havane or the boozy-caramelized whisky.

This is a true masterpiece that is overshadowed by his flankers, which some of them are great like those cited above, but not as remarkable as the originator.

The longevity is excellent (8+ hours easily) with good projection for the first hour.

Thierry Mugler made a timeless masterpiece and he never reach this level again, despite some great flakers.

5/5
Mugler's A*Men Vs. Killian Intoxicated
In fact, there are similarities here as well. You can kind of argue that: Where A*Men left off, Intoxicated is just getting started. That metallic sweetness just seems pretty flat on A*Men. Killian just makes it more rounded. I also feel the sillage is just kind of mediocre on A*Men. Intoxicated seems to be superior to the A*Men fragrance in all sub-disciplines. Just not in the price performance. Nevertheless, that is complaining at a high level. Who likes sweet fragrances, should buy A*Men blind.
Not my cup of tea
Although I have no aversion to sweet perfumes, I did not like A*Men by Thierry Mugler at all.

Over the whole period from opening to closing, an enormously synthetic sweetness stands out, which in my opinion is too much of a good thing. This is an enormously dull sweetness. In my opinion, the scents as a whole appear enormously synthetic, almost plastic. Big changes are also not present with the time. It smells consistently dull, synthetic and sweet.

This is a perfume that gives me the impression that the individual fragrances have been mixed up wildly. They do not harmonize well with each other. Almost all the components seem synthetic and extremely dull, so dull that it almost makes me sick.

It's not my case at all. But that's like all matters of taste. If you like the scent, I can highly recommend this perfume, because the shelf life is very long and the sillage is very strong.

Masterpiece!
I seem to be late to the game on this one. I finally purchased the original A*Men from Mugler and it's amazing. I can see what the buzz is all about. The caramel, the milk, the coffee... wow.... amazing, especially for the year it came out in the fragrance community. I absolutely love this fragrance, it's sweet, gourmand, yet spicy, manly and milky all at the same time. I smell coffee, but would like to smell more, and perhaps it's just how this fragrance reacts on my skin. I can't say enough about this fragrance by Mugler. Definitely a compliment-getter! I give this a 9/10!

A little too out there.
My journey with Thierry Mugler started with Pure Malt, possible my favorite fragrance today, and my first real, "quality" fragrance. And so when I first smelled the original I desperately wanted to like it. Badly. And I sort of did, sort of. I even went so far as to buy a bottle. Firstly, much like the other A*Men scents, the sillage and longevity are amazing. And alot of the sweet notes are done perfectly, the honey and caramel notes are balanced very well. That being said, there is something deeply off-putting in the scent as well, borderline offensive. I believe it's the coriander notes coming out, they absolutely dominate everything else for the first few minutes to half an hour. Whilst I don't hate it, for me it certainly doesn't live up to any of the Pure series, especially Pure Malt, even though Havane and Tonka are amazing too. I still wear it come winter, but only rarely, and I apply it well before I plan to appear in public, as it evolves into a truly beautiful fragrance in time. So in summary, right after application, it's too bold and exotic for my olfactory palate, so to speak, but in evolution, it becomes sweet, distinct, and very warm.

Timeless
Timeless!
Sweet, but not that sweet cloying spicebomb or similar crap.
It's the male version of angel, another pillar of perfumery, and in fact the analogies are there. Gourmand, woody, sophisticated, vibrant.
The opening is made very sweet by tonka, honey sandal and coffee, but it is all very spicy with citrus and coriander. Very woody base always clean calm and relaxing sweetness.
To say that this masterpiece is a blasphemy.It is like saying that the daisy tastes like basil!
Powerful and long-lasting, ideal in the cold months.
I heard the version today, and the sweetness is very syntetic and watered down, it is worth covering an older one.

rating 8.5

A*Men (@Nose.Knows.No.Notes)
• THIERRY MUGLER A*MEN •

I've been avoiding Mugler's men's line for no better reason then absolutely hating the bottle designs, so it's about time to dive in.
A*Men is a familiar scent, although I never tried it myself. To my nose, the sweetness is a bit too much. It's mainly a chocolate scent, but not a powdery, lifelike chocolate, rather a syrupy dark chocolate sauce. A bergamote and mint brings some welcome and quite interesting contrast to the sweetness.

I went a bit light on my first wear, which I preferred smell wise, but it fades too quickly. For the second time I sprayed some extra, resulting in a harsh sweet opening, almost going into liquorice territory. I wish the coffee note was stronger, but I know Mugler has better options in their line-up for that purpose.
A*Men is not something I'd wear myself, but it's an appealing fragrance for a reasonable price, so I can see why it's popular •

Please follow my IG Nose.Knows.No.Notes for more reviews and fragrance photography
Frankenstone
Giving the fragrance its time
A very unique, strong fragrance, I am surprised that it is still available in the drugstores. With 3 sprays you have almost overdosed. The top note smells very pleasant for me, sweet with a male-minty freshness. After a few hours the fresh fragrance disappears and the fragrance develops very sweet, caramel-like - which is not bad at all! however, this sweet is always accompanied by this tar note which can be too much of a good thing from time to time. But it is precisely this "tarry" (Thierry-ge haha) that makes the fragrance unique. It's best to test it yourself and give the fragrance a little time. I smelled it the first time in Paris and found it terrible. It was only after the third attempt that I found him interesting. Today I like to wear it in winter
Crystom
Sandro, no more blind buying
Wow.

Now I've been romping around on Parfumo for a few weeks and thanks to your reviews and writer-like comments, I'm getting a lot more buy than I was before. My skin and my surroundings are happy - my wallet less. Item.

Yesterday I read in a magazine that my discounter nearby is setting up a stand in front of the discounter this week, which sells brand perfume at fair prices. So let's go.

So if I'm standing there, I don't even know exactly what I'm gonna buy. "Hmm, what have you seen/read on Parfumo a few times? I did, I did, I did - MOMENT. What's with the blue star on it?! I know that from somewhere, don't I?" Price was reduced by almost 50%. Okay, let's go. Blind purchase. It'll be all right.

When I get home, I spray something on my wrist. YOUNG. What... is... that. Something in this top note doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm almost disgusted. Well, wait and see. An hour later, I still have this unpleasant fragrance on my wrist. NO - NOT LIKE THIS! I need to wash this off. It can't be.

Now I'm going to read through what the scents are like. Bergamot mhh not bad. Lavender mhh not bad. Peppermint interesting. CORIANDER?! Wait a minute, what?! What makes you think that (sorry my opinion) by far the most repulsive thing there is to put in a perfume? No, I'm good.

There are people who love this perfume - I'm definitely not :)

By the way, on Sundays I go to my parents for dinner, Dad can smell it and if he likes - please!

HugoMontezHugoMontez 4 months ago
One of my favorites of all time. A great combination of patchouli, caramel and coffee, with some vanilla in the drydown. 5/5
BertolucciKBertolucciK 8 months ago
I usually love strong scents, powerhouses, and I love some flankers of A*Men but there is something here that i really dislike, a sweet tar.
TombbbTombbb 11 months ago
I didn't think I would ever rate a frag as a 1/10, but here we are. Absolutely disgusting smell. Chokingly sweet, donut, caramel.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 1 year ago
Weird and risky the aromatic-gourmand-resinous accord giving to this scent the typical "TM" imprinting. A warm and strong winter perfume
GabrielCEGabrielCE 2 years ago
Solid scent, reasonable price and excellent performance are everything this perfume has in addition to the sweetened smell of burnt wood ;)
AJGAJG 2 years ago
Any one. Any where. Any time. A favourite.
Top 5
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
A load of caramel & patchouli are behind the A*Men revolution back in 1996. This is the first 21st century perfume arriving 5 years early.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
A*Men father of 18 flankers, I praise yours 22 years of satifactory olfactory services. Thanks for the caramel, patchouli, coffee & vanilla.
ElysiumElysium 3 years ago
2018 version is a bit different from 1996 one. The newer has a core alike Twinings Chamomile Lemon & Honey, the original was more powdery.
HajuvanaHajuvana 3 years ago
I hated it in the 90s - I thought it was preposterous. Now, it's sunny & 25°C in Helsinki, I'm rocking 7 sprays & it's working like a drug.

Frozen sea...
by Nyze29
by Nyze29
by LemonDelight
by LemonDelight
überbordende, dunkelkomplexe Süße - Mugler A*men (1996)
by Parma
by SaSu77
by Dancon
by Dancon

Popular Mugler

A*Men Pure Havane by Mugler Alien Essence Absolue by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt by Mugler Alien Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt - Création 2013 by Mugler Les Exceptions - Oriental Extreme / Oriental Express by Mugler Angel Eau Sucrée 2014 by Mugler Les Exceptions - Over The Musk by Mugler Mugler Cologne by Mugler Miroir Miroir - Miroir des Majestés by Mugler Alien - Le Goût du Parfum by Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka by Mugler Angel (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee by Mugler Alien Les Parfums de Cuir by Mugler Alien Eau Sublime by Mugler Angel Étoile des Rêves by Mugler Angel Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler A*Men Ultra Zest by Mugler