Alien Man 2018

Alien Man by Mugler
Alien Man is a perfume by Mugler for men and was released in 2018. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Dill, Beech wood, Leather, Cashmere wood, Osmanthus, White amber

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 30.11.2020.

Great signature scent
Fresh spices, herbs, smoke, fruity leather and amber. This is a very distinctive fragrance with a nice longevity and great sweet sillage. Perfect signature scent because it is very versatile. Lot of compliments.
Ptptptpt-WsssstCH-chkchk-TTT-TT-FPFPFPF
That was alien language for "underrated and that's a good thing!" or "I'd like to eat your brains and then play miniature golf in space...".
One or the other, I'm not sure... my Martian's a little rusty
I caught a sample of "Alien Man" a long time ago, found it immediately appealing, but nothing I need to have right away.

After he had already eaten his way through my many rehearsals, a friend of mine brought me back to it:
In an impulsive situation he bought a bottle of it to be prepared for a special occasion on that day. You have to say, he doesn't know much about fragrances, but I think he is on a very good way. ;)

And besides, is there a Zen saying about it that I would like to quote here:
"If your mind is empty, it is always ready for anything, it is open to everything. In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few. Always strife to be the beginner
Alien Man is a perfume that you could easily punish at first, as an old perfume bunny:
Dill in the top note (it belongs on baked potatoes), sweet, creamy, smooth, at the same time a bit unapproachable and strange... cool... hm.

But if you let yourself in on the fragrance with a free heart and test it on your skin, a really beautiful, masculine spice radiates from the heart, which for me is an anecdote of classic, green-spicy men's fragrances.
But not in the form that the fragrance looks old, on the contrary! It just gives it a little bit of edge, and hair on the chest It's like, "Hmm, hey, you, come a little closer...

On the other hand, I do not blur with cashmeran, which I detest so much (Cashmeran, Duden: Death by boredom). No, the cashmeran contained is fortunately quite different, and represents here rather a soft woodiness, which offers a good base for the remaining notes.
On the other hand, I feel it as a soft focus, that something sacral is always present, as if the fragrance would shine like a strong spotlight through a smoky fog.

(Do you also see a UFO landing in a field somewhere in Kentucky at 2am? :D)

But there is also something dracula-like about it, because Alien Man is somehow sensual and spicy, but because of this aspect with the smoke it keeps a coolness and distance. But this interplay is well balanced and fits perfectly with everything, so it's a really good fragrance from this genre for me, at least on par with Zadig & Voltaire's "This is Him!" and Paco Rabanne's "Pure XS".

I find the fragrance really good, the name perfectly chosen ("Dracula pour Homme would have worked out well... :D), and the bottle really cool and fitting to the theme and fragrance.

This is such a perfume that you can discover for yourself, and then all the more if you like it, because it is very individual.

I appreciate very much that the manufacturer has really dared something, has used notes that do not even occur so often in mainstream men's fragrances (Osmanthus? Dill??) and has forged something from it that I have not yet smelled in my view, and really has a right to exist
Chapeau to the creators, and wlwlwlPFTPFPFTQwkcAAATttt!!
It's hard to translate. It's something about cabbage soup

Rquill67
One of a kind from Mugler!
Excellent fragrance. One of a kind from Mugler. It's definitely spicy, green and woody, but there's something else about this fragrance that makes it stand out. I think its the combination of Anise and Dill together that gives this fragrance a background you don't often smell in other fragrances. Wearable to the office, and great for any season (except summer). I think it may be too much for the hottest summer days of the year. I give this an 8 / 10.

An Alien Perfume
Well ... This is a really alien fragrance, for better or for worse.

I've laughed a lot seeing the faces of YouTube Reviewers when smelling it for the first time; most of them didn't know how to react or what to say; I guess the same thing happened to most hardcore Mugler fans, who were expecting "Pure Jasmine" and ran into Alien Man.

IMHO this scent is an avant-garde and futuristic artistic fragrance; finally a new and creative concept! And no: This one doesn't smell like pee - or a stable - mixed with iris, spices and wild flowers... It's not that kind of "artistic".

Of course, Alien Man is far from what lovers of the classic, the ordinary or the obscene expect; this fragrance is not for everyone and I'm amazed at how daring it is... Being a designer release, it's definitely sassy.

But... What do you expect from an alien fragrance?? A fougere..? A gourmand..?

It's true that it's difficult to describe Alien Man: It's herbal, a little sweet, floral, woody, leathery with nuances of incense, clean and soapy but dark at the same time...
For me, this is a scent that mimics the modern fragrances of today, but that has something very strange hidden in its DNA... Something strange and mysterious... That is exactly Alien Man.

- Longevity: Easy 8h+. Great performer in the cold.

- Projection: Average to moderate.

- Mood & Ocassions: This is a perfume from an "outer world"... Wear it when you feel it; in any situation or circumstance it'll achieve that pleasant, mysterious and magnetic aura.

- Conclusion: This fragrance is original and daring at the risk of being misunderstood: I've already said it, it's a futuristic artistic creation. Also, not everyone can wear an "alien perfume" for men.

I just adore it. I come in peace.
The boring alien
There are wonderful stories about fragrances, where the message or the fragrance itself is wonderfully interwoven. And it doesn't have to be just the highlights that are heroically sung about. Every now and then I feel like it myself and that's what I had in mind here But: it's not worth it, because Alien Man is simple and linear, it's not a fragrance you can tell about. The only thing that can be sung about at some point is probably the quiet finish when the perfume is no longer produced. Before we get in: Alien Man is not so bad, but it's boring.

This is mainly due to the fact that the fragrance shows no development. The prelude dazzles, because it smells quite reasonable at first. In principle, this would have been possible in the future, if it weren't for the dill and osmanthus. The aromatic of the dill increases successively respectively the rest of the fragrance becomes weaker. This leads to an unattractive, yellowing cumin note. At the same time the osmanthus steers into it, it becomes weakly synthetic woody. To be honest, this really smells weak. Of course, it is possible that the other woods play a part in this, but it doesn't get better. Leather can be imagined, it looks at most weakly synthetic leather. With a lot of fantasy.

All in all, an unpleasant thing. Whatever the reason, the prelude is pleasing, as already said, only the longer Alien Man lasts, the better you notice the charlatanism. What smells good fades away. That's how these dissonances come out and above all: you can look into what the perfume is all about: a void
Sure, if I'm looking for a mainstream thing, which is like a better scented candle, Alien Man is okay

Alien Man twisty ways
[short review]
This perfume didn't impress me at first. Then it started "talking to me" from time to time, having a cup of coffee and taking a shy place at my breakfast table. Only today Alien spent an entire day with me, as my SOTD. I also want to confirm if this Alien fragrance has made me only vain promisses, or if it is going to be there to stay.
I confess that it was not presented to me in the best way. In 2019 Easter week and inside the NYC 7th Avenue massive Macy's store, one of those big 7 foot tall clerks wearing a black 5XL size suit came to me and started compulsively spraying me with Alien Man, while saying "Hey man, you gotta try this one. It's this year's best and your lady is going to scream for it!". I never liked to bump suddenly at any man over seven feet tall, sticking some heavy sprays in my nose, nor do I like the image suggested of my wife's screaming loud for no justifiable reason. But life taught me never to disagree with big men over two meters height and so I received the whiffs with a smile and returned a "thanks bro". Anyway, for me Alien Man started on the left foot that day.

Notes I like in this scent: Amber, Smoke, Leather, Cashmere Wood and Osmanthus. Even if I like osmanthus a lot, its soft floral sweet scent seems to be a little out of place in this fragrance.
Notes I don't like in this scent: Salty Aged Beachwood and Dill.
Dill smells like cucumber pickles. It gives a synthetic and vinegar touch to the perfume. I don't understand what purpose that note has in this blending. But without this dill note Alien Men should be somewhat similar to two hundred other good perfumes on the market. So probably it serves the purpose of maintaining a certain fragrance individuality. I hope that Mugler never attempts fragrance uniqueness with dry cod fish or beef jerky.
In what concerns the Salty Aged Beechwood, I just deslike its saltiness, and its scent always remembers me mold and mildew.
The fragrance has a linear development. After a couple of sprays, you get the general idea of the complete perfume behavior. The intended "different" freshness of dill, mint and beechwood turns out to be more peculiar and odd than different.
Performance it's only fair.
As a final conclusion, I am not really in the mood to love or flirt with this perfume.

Note: The bottle is supposed to be super manly. I find it just a bit futurist and probably a bit metrosexual... manly bottle? ... you wish! Probably it's just a pretencious bottle. Nobody in my house likes the flask as well.

Music: The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go

Third Time Is The Charm
I had to try Alien Man three times before I decided I wanted to have it in my collection.
Three tests determined that I would continue a relationship with this smoky, slightly dark and moderately spicy stranger.
Disregarding the negative criticism of others was quite helpful too, once I realized most if not all of the criticism came from a place of personal expectations.
Unlike so many of the haters, I had no expectations of what Alien Man would or should be, so I was not at all disappointed. Rather I was more excited that men were finally getting another Mugler!
And here he is, this Alien man.
He is quietly unusual and didn't make a definite impression on the first meeting. The second time we met he opened up a little more, but there was still some trepidation and hesitation. The third time, he let his guard down and his (subdued) freak flag flew!
Is it coincidence there was a magnificent thunder storm that night?
I will reach for him when it's gloomy and cool, and any evening or night time occasion where the same old thing just won't do.
He is most welcome in my life.
Paresuma
The alien and I took our time
When I learned last summer that Mugler had brought out an alien for men, I left immediately and had to smell it.

First time in the hand taken. Mega bottle. Pump feeling mega. But then...
What was that, I thought? BÄH!

This smells like the winter garden of a chain smoker in midsummer who is laid out with green artificial grass.

First I made a boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
But now for the start of the two fusion flanker again in sight and I must say:

Alien Man is a fragrance that may follow in the footsteps of the alien mother with its head raised. He embodies exactly what Alien for Woman has already embodied. It's just IN YOUR FACE!
It lasts really long, but remains synthetic. I smell in at me again and again what I do with other scents after the time no more.

The bottle is really good. Great color. Great symmetrical design. And the sprayer's great. He doesn't just ffffft short, he ffffffft long. The spray mist is very fine.
I'm looking forward to more.
Background Modern
A scent totally underestimated and put down for me here. It smells very pleasant, diffuse and interesting. Above all slightly sweetish and beautifully spicy woody. Reminds me of Jil Sander Background. Definitely not mainstream. It stands out from the other fragrances, which all smell the same for 10 years. A lot of girls asked me what a good scent that was. Worth every cent. Once he's gone, many mourn again...

Elysium
It just doesn't smell like a MUGLER to me
A few weeks ago I got a free sample of Alien Man and I was quite astonished about the trail I got right away the initial spray. As it turns out, it just doesn't smell like a MUGLER to me, which it's not a bad thing, yet you should not be biased and expecting kind of like the jasmine-based Alien, the candy floss and patchouli bomb of Angel or A*Men. It’s very smooth and has an addictive, creamy and herbal leather quality.

Full of contrasts, Alien Man radiates positive raw energy and develops through three different stages and vibes. It belongs to the aromatic, fougere, and herbal leather family. The olfactory tale starts with an enormous freshness of aromatic aniseed notes and reveals at the same time a backbone made of smoky bleech woody notes. With rich citrus and aromatic burst, it initially gives the impression of a classic aromatic cologne alike Armani Code or Dior Sauvage, but it doesn't and ain't a copy of those two. I get a blend of smoked and burnt woods, herbal dill, a bunch of anise in a sort of licorice, and a fruity apricot with citrus lemon for a while that burns off pretty quick. What is surprising is the addition of dill, a note that is detectable and very interesting but not off-putting, which gives a very green feel to the fragrance, including the burnt accord, which is so unusual in the head notes. Dill is one of the aromatic herbs I like most, especially when used together with pickle and salmon, which are not part of this scent, of course! In here, the very unique smell of this herb is softened some by the anise to make an eccentric but befitting aromatic awakening. Unlike others, beech wood has several other advantages, one of its famous properties is it odorless. Therefore, the smoked note is not related to any known wood, but it's just a burnt aroma that blends with the other top notes. An aromatic opening where the freshness of dill is contrasted by the smoothness of beech wood. Alien Man starts cool and fresh with a clean and crackling energy that I would describe as sporty. There is a grainy, solid texture to the opening accord that gives Alien Man a rugged, handsome vibe.

Very quickly, we transition to the heart thanks to a rich lavender note.
The true star of the show is Alien Man’s heart, which is a vivid leathery experience with a smoky essence. Cashmeran reveals itself with a piney yet leathery scent of freshly-cut wood, providing a supporting layer of creamy, hay-like woods. This accords well with osmanthus, a fruity yet musky oriental blossom reminiscent of apricot. Meantime, geraniums add a floral note before the birch tar emerges with an overt smoky extension to the wood and leather bouquet. Leather can often be harsh with an overtly smoky, tarry or fleshy character, however, this leather is the supplest and lightest one, a buttery smooth piece of leather. Together the cashmeran and leather merge to create an endless sense of softness.

Although the heart fades, it leaves a trace of the bird tar’s smokiness as we descend into the base. We first pick out just a hint of sweet vanilla thanks to a benzoin note. The benzoin interacts with musky labdanum and earthy patchouli in order to produce a white amber accord. After 6 hours the white amber comes through strong and changes this into a sweet, beautiful skin scent that mixes well with your natural odor. One cannot tell whether it is sweet, sour, warm or cold. It presents a whirlwind of contrasts that leave one guessing.

Ultimately, Alien Man is perfect for the autumn season thanks to its blend of aromatics, woods, and spices. There’s perfect harmony between warm and cool notes that capture the spirit of the season perfectly. Nevertheless, it will also perform quite well during the winter and wouldn't be too out of place during the spring. However, it’s certainly not a summer fragrance by any means. When it comes to the best time of day for wearing Alien Man, it’s very much a daytime fragrance. It feels rather appropriate for when the sun is at its peak but will lose effectiveness as it begins to set.
Meanwhile, the longevity is somewhere between poor and average. As such, you’ll need a travel atomizer for regular top-ups. Not the Thierry Mugler we know, much more approachable scent by the daring perfumery, a refreshing blend of smoky wood and rich spices.

-Elysium

Shiron212Shiron212 4 months ago
Not for me, this reminds me of pickle juice
Eww :/
Carlitos01Carlitos01 1 year ago
A wearable scent, maybe not bad, but not awesome. The bottle is odd but maybe peaceful for a Mugler flask. A pass for the dill note.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
Really an ALIEN because different from the other Mugler's creations: softly warm but not so strong, refined, with a feminine soul too. Good!
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
Not the Thierry Mugler we know, a much more approachable scent by the daring perfumery, a refreshing blend of smokey wood and rich spices.

“Alien man” by Thierry Mugler -  Es ist eher so, als würden wir auf dem Mars landen und unseren Geruch verlassen.
by AromaPath
by GlamourAngel
by GlamourAngel
by Drakecito
by Drakecito

Popular Mugler

A*Men Pure Havane by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt by Mugler Alien Essence Absolue by Mugler Alien Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler Les Exceptions - Oriental Extreme / Oriental Express by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Eau Sucrée 2014 by Mugler Mugler Cologne by Mugler Les Exceptions - Over The Musk by Mugler Alien - Le Goût du Parfum by Mugler Angel Étoile des Rêves by Mugler Miroir Miroir - Miroir des Majestés by Mugler Angel Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka by Mugler Les Exceptions - Ambre Redoutable by Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee by Mugler Alien Eau Sublime by Mugler A*Men Ultra Zest by Mugler Alien Les Parfums de Cuir by Mugler