Angel 1992Eau de Parfum

Angel (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler
Bottle Design Thierry Mugler
Angel (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Mugler for women and was released in 1992. The scent is sweet-gourmand. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Jasmine, Cassia, Coconut, Mandarin orange, Melon, Cotton candy
Heart Notes Heart NotesApricot, Blackberry, Honey, Jasmine, Lily of the valley, Orchid, Peach, Plum, Rose, Red berries
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Caramel, Musk, Patchouli, Chocolate, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by Sani, last update on 21.01.2021.

T. Mugler successfully utilised ethylmaltol (first used in "Vanilia" by Artisan Parfumeur in 1978) in a mainstream perfume, thus kick-starting the gourmand genre in 90s. Maltol occurs naturally, e.g. when roasting malt, hence its name. Ehtylmaltol is a synthetic variant which increases the caramel impression four- to sixfold.
Vera Strübi, former president of the Mugler company reports that the bottle's prototype (a 85,000 € design) was not accepted by Mugler. They agreed on the famous star-shape flacon instead but were initially unable to find a glass blowing workshop able to produce it. Furthermore, Strübi and the investors at Clarins disliked the scent and Mugler had to fight for its realisation. The argument that the price per bottle was too high had been refuted with the idea of a refillable vessel.

MisskMissk 9 years ago

„Modern-Day Classic”

You simply can't go wrong with Angel. Being one of the most popular and well-known fragrances in the last 20 years, Angel still manages to stand out in a crowd. This...
Lola82Lola82 9 years ago

„A Fantastic Plastic Lover”

Since it's Release in 1992 Angel has been Revered Repeled Idolised Scroutinized Critizised for it's Synthtic Aesthetics Angel Has to be the most Misunderstood...
The Heavenly Fair
I can't believe I haven't written anything about the original "Angel"... could have sworn that it was quite fast at the beginning of my writing. Quite a few of his flankers (especially the men's versions) and copies were, anyway, often I smelled him on women and girlfriends - now it's time for a commi! That's the way it should be with legends, you can't just let them stand without a word. So it's a good thing that my fiancée got it as a gift from her father this Christmas and added it to our collection - spray it on right away and refresh your memory!

Mugler's blue star is already something yummy. One of the first cotton candy perfumes, absolutely groundbreaking and decisive. But not only from its status and influence a breaker, also from the fragrance itself still a boon. Love or Hate, sure dat. There are a lot of people who can't get along with this at all and turn up their noses. Or just can't smell it anymore. But for me, it remains quite appealing and, at best, undressing. On cloud nine with dirty thoughts. Milk chocolate meets silky patchouli and some burnt rubber. Humanizing thickener for the nose. A milestone, a masterpiece. A sweet bullet hail of fluffy calories. Berry-like, bomb-like, (b)angelic. With wet wings into the warm nest. Between funfair, whorehouse and four-poster bed. "Angel" is nasty for some - but pure greed for many. A thousand times others have tried to imitate or even top it - almost all of them have failed. Often crashingly. "Angel" still sits on his little cloud, spreads his legs and just grins smugly at that. Almost arrogantly. Frivolous feminism without compromise and full of femininity. Mmmmmmmh!

Flacon: legendary!
Sillage: powerhouse
Longevity: lasts and lasts and lasts and lasts.... 10 hours. Or more. Depends on what you're doing. And how much you sweat while doing it....

Bottom line: still very much a pushing myth! Once boundary-pushing, now more often copied than the blueprint of a log cabin. Still playful, powerful and.... horny?!
Surprising love
When I unpacked the angel and sprayed it for the first time I was shocked. He unfortunately did not smell at all like I imagined him (YES I dared a blind purchase) At first I felt like I was standing in a forest of fir trees Very spicy and woody. This scent is definitely not everybody's cup of tea (headache possible).
With time, however, this initial smell, which by now doesn't bother me that much anymore, disappears What remains is an intense chocolaty fragrance. Incredibly beautiful, very sweet I fell in love with him afterwards, even if it was not love at first sight ;)
Durability and silage very good. It is in any case a complement catcher.
Sweet Angel
I recently tested this great perfume and the only thing that keeps me from buying it is the expensive price. It smells great. It takes some getting used to at first and it's very fruity. After that the scent develops on my skin in a sweet and through the patchouli also in a fresh direction. This fresh-sweet mixture suits me very well. I can't get enough of this wonderful smell and don't understand why some of them get headaches. It is not that strong. But I'm probably harder in taking : ) I only got headaches from Maroussia.
In any case, this fragrance is very interesting and versatile; you can smell different notes, while with some other fragrances you only perceive one scent. It smells much more interesting/varied than the Alien (where I only smell flowery scent), but it's good. Here you can smell sweets (vanilla, chocolate, caramel, cotton candy, coconut), different flowers and some fruits and together with the spicy patchouli and musk it has a fresh undertone. I think it fits in summer as well as in winter. The smell is also not exhausting for me at all, so it always goes.
The fragrance for chocolatiers
First of all, I like Angel. I like him a lot. There's chocolate in there too :)
But I don't like Angel on me. I can't stand him on me for more than a few minutes. Not because I don't like him, but because something in this scent is crushing me and unfortunately also causes slight nausea. My guess is coconut and/or lily of the valley, or is it the honey? Unfortunately the scent sticks to you like superglue, so a quick washing off is not possible. If you have sprayed yourself with Angel, even if it was only a little bit, everyone within a radius of several meters smells it and that immediately, in the same second. Of all the sugar bombs, it is by far the sweetest and at the same time the most room-filling scent I know. When others walk past me with this scent, it smells simply stunning. It smells like a pastry shop with delicious chocolate cake. And in this moment I always find him great again. But I will have to be content with these moments, because unfortunately there is not enough for more. Pity
Hated angel...
unjustly.
I have when some people say you're "not her scent" or you're "too heavy". Even headaches you're supposed to cause some people. Even that's not so bad, because some people say that about me. We're both a little difficult.

But what I don't understand is why they let hate tirades rain down on them as if you were the smell of a sewer
You don't deserve that no matter what. Whether you are up to the personal taste or not.

You were the first of your kind When your Creator first sent you out into the wide world in 1992, you - like no one else before you - entered the stage. Turned the world of perfume upside down.
No one was as sweet, extraordinary and complex as you

You are part of the history of perfume, you have heralded the era of gourmands. Paving the way for many of today's favorite gourmands.
In 1998 you even toppled Channel No.5 from its throne in France. Everyone wanted only you!
But today is different.
Today one is spoiled by constant change. Today you don't want any rough edges like you have them.
Your brothers and sisters, perfectly adapted to modern pop culture. Yet you have managed to stay on your stage until today. The lights have become a bit darker, but still, the throne of the Gourmands is still yours.
You are extraordinary, like the others created from the vision of your creator.

If I spray you, it's only at home. By myself. Not because I'm afraid of those who bad-mouth you -No!
You tell me about a day in my childhood memory
The first thing that smells is the cotton candy and coconut mixed with a scent that is indefinable to me That's right, you smell like the fair I went to with my dad extra early in the day because we're going to Grandma's afterwards. The candy stands, the smell of chocolate fruit, cotton candy and the smoke machines at the carousels
After an hour, soaked by the fairground smells, I go to grandma in the garden, where I quickly look to see if there are still berries hanging from the bushes between all the pretty flowers.
Still the smell of the fair in my hair, the smell of the garden is easily drawn into my clothes
After many hours, my mom finally joins us. The smells of the day have disappeared a little but and I notice the perfume of my mother. Patchouli, amber, musk. With the light veil, the rest of the day
The Angel, you are for me
A classic that can tell stories with a little imagination :)
I'm not a very good writer.
But I hope it's not too bad and you understand what it comes down to :)
With Angela uffe Kirmes
Angela's a total love! We have known each other all our lives, we get along really well, but we are not best friends anyway.
Personally, I am satisfied if we see each other from time to time and spend several hours together.
Angela may not be in such a good financial position, but with her job in such an eco-shop she keeps her head above water. In her 2-room old building flat it always smells slightly esoteric and a little musty, but I didn't want to tell her that until now.
Until recently.
When we wanted to make a bicycle trip to the fair from her apartment, I was supposed to advise her on how to dress for it. Half-naked she opened her wardrobe and said:
"You look what you want me to wear! I'm totally aimless today!"
When I approached the open cupboard, I already smelled this musty smell. Since I had a suspicion, I pushed all hanging clothes aside and saw the dilemma:
"Say Angela, the back wall of your wardrobe is completely damp and mouldy - just look!"
And what does she say? -
"Yes, I know. That's why I always put on the patchouli incense from the store, so it doesn't smell so bad. It's just old building and private landlord - he just doesn't do anything. I don't have any space to put the cupboard free and no money to buy a new one!"
I told her she wants to put pressure on the landlord and that we will see if we can get a cupboard somewhere. It has to go on the bulky waste Well- well, I wasn't surprised that her clothes always smell so musty and mouldy.
The problem is that for environmental reasons she only uses soap nuts to wash her clothes and washes them cold. Which brings us to the next problem She either uses no deodorant at all or only this salt crystal. When she sweats, this old sweat smell simply cannot be removed from her clothes.
But unfortunately, that's one point I really can't tell her. I was just suggesting that she might like to wear tank tops, because I'm sure they would look good on her.

Anyway, I picked out an outfit from her closet and then we went off to the fair.
Of course she sweated a little after the bike ride Short and sweet- Angela smelled again of old sweat and mold.
But no matter - the sweet smell of the fair - of cotton candy, candied fruits and other delicacies was already coming our way and in combination with Angela's smell it has something special!
Because like I said before:
Angela's a total love!
Angel is rightly a much loved and also hated classic, which for me has absolute niche quality.
Because many a niche fragrance tries to be SPECIAL through bizarre notes and does not succeed or is not wearable!
Angel has, intentionally or not, bizarre notes, but you only notice them when you get very close to them.
In his aura he is beautiful and kind!
The queen of gourmands! br />

The starry pinãta fragrance
[short review]
In my opinion, all gourmand perfumes need to be designed very carefully so that they don't become nauseating. Too much sugar may just make you sick!
This olfactory fatigue can occur during either its recurring use, or in a single application due to a strong projection and longevity. A high sillage can also infect those around us and create some group aversion to the fragrance. If a perfume stays on the market for a long time, its continued familiarity can also lead to some annoyance. As the eyes may also smell, the design and the very bold presentation of a bottle can get our attention at first, but over time it can become tiring.
Angel is a very gourmand perfume, with high longevity, sillage and projection. It has been on the market for 28 years now and its bottle must have the most unique design in the history of perfumery with its starry shape!... and it has resisted the effect of time. Currently it is still a star reference among feminine perfumes.
So what is its secret? It can only tied to its formula and blending mastery, and so justifying why many women and men find the Angel scent so sexy and appealing.
As with any masterpiece, this perfume also has its legion of haters. The loudness they create just increase the Angel awareness. The good things of life are always yin and yang. Quite a lot of years ago the market witnessed the same effect with Tabu.

In the opening and heart we find a piñata full of ripe sweet fruit, desserts and cotton candy that in a short time are mixed with an extensive bouquet of nectary flowers. The scent is intense and pleasantly intrusive. The ambery bottom throws us with a bomb of a seductive patchouli, sweet spices, chocolate and caramel. Visually, I could only imagine this overly sweet scenario with some suspicion. However my nose does not think the same way. It likes what is proposed and even qualifies this fragrance with a unisex tendency so that I am willing to use it too.
In a woman I find this fragrance just irresistible.
I do recommend it!

Music: The Archies - "Sugar, Sugar"
Time for the truth!
It took me a long time to write this comment, but today I read a great blog article about reformulations (another big compliment to you, dear N471v3!) and that was the initial spark. It's time.

I've always wondered that apparently no one ever noticed what happened to Angel, at least that wasn't apparent from the comments (well, at 97 I might have overlooked something). The first comment that sums it up is the last from Karjala. Yes, my dear, you're saying it. "This artificially sweet-biting "scent" is really the epitome of what I don't want on my skin."
Thank you.

And now for the fragrance. How he used to be and how he is today.
As you can easily tell from my name, I loved Angel. I probably had the first reformulated version, the one before must have been even nicer. "Our time" was about the years 2010 to 2016, I was looking for a scent lost through reformulation and only noticed later that it was a copy of Angel (I also wrote a comment on that, see harem, which is absolutely unacceptable today, by the way, I had a rehearsal for fun, horrible and unbelievably bad!).

Angel was a dream! A cloud of joy!
I never took the trouble to dissect the individual scents, it was too complex for me. He had a wonderfully fruity-sweet start that lasted a long time with me, on some days I could smell a wonderfully sweet plum, even when I had left the room and came back again. At that time I ate muesli with prunes and somehow it was potentiated in the air. The beginning also quickly became a little bitter, but only light, that was the chocolate, but the bitter disappeared after a short time. With the Patchouly, which was probably also responsible for the somewhat harsh impact, I never had a problem, because it quickly became soft and wonderfully woven. Actually, I never liked fragrances that have too complex a course, but with Angel it was different. Every moment was unique, an experience and a pleasure. Despite his complexity he was always somehow homogeneous and coherent.

But the most beautiful thing came at the end. It ended in a wonderful warm, soft, velvety sweetness that lovingly blew over you for the rest of the day.
Yes, dear Karjala, you can have everything. Unsurpassed durability and sillage, and a fragrant fragrance!
I probably could have worn Angel for the rest of my life, but it was different again.

It must have been in 2016. The bottle ran out and of course there had to be supplies as soon as possible. As always ordered from my trusted dealer and tried immediately after arrival.
I just need to gather a little bit so I can find the right words. It was as Karjala described it. Terrible.
From the bottle came a disgustingly bitter-herbal mixture and I thought at first that the scent had tipped over. I once had a bottle where that was the case and I could only remember too well how it smelled. Besides, the liquid had faded, an unmistakable sign. Not so in this case. The blue was as beautiful as ever, the scent alone was a catastrophe.

No more nice fruity-sweet entry. It receives me a bitter and bitter repulsiveness, which is up to the end. No more delicious plums, nothing. I can best describe it as "bitter-herbaceous-synthetic" and it bites in the nose. Good believers might suspect a very bitter chocolate note here, and maybe it even is, but it's really just unappetizing.

If you believe that you just have to hold on long enough and will be rewarded in the end - no chance! There is no happy ending. No warm, soft, gentle sweetness that caresses and envelops you. Just disgusting, sticky, bitter sugar sauce.

All in all, I would put it in such a way that the scent is completely fragmented. Similarly, one would like to smash the beautiful star flacon into a thousand pieces.

I was so unbelievably disappointed by this adulterated brew that I gave it directly to my colleague who also loves Angel. Of course not without warning.
She didn't notice! Not until today! Every time she pulls this disgusting bitter synthetic flag behind her, I could scream!

When that happened, it was like losing a good friend. I mourned for Angel and for years I refused to buy a new favourite fragrance. So this doesn't happen to me again.

Finally it's out.
And that brings me to the end.
But not quite yet.

To be continued, if you like, please read my comment about Al Haramains Aysha.

Who has held out up to here, I say thank you very much for the sympathy and in this sense greet you very cordially
Angellover :-)
0.5
Karjala
You think alien's bad? Try Angel!
...because Angel manages to be even worse.

When I sprayed a friend of mine with a splash of perfume on the tester she was holding and she held the tester up to her nose, she shouted: "Uah, that smells poisonous!"

And that's a pretty perfect description of Angel. One wonders involuntarily whether Thierry Mugler created this fragrance only because he wanted to win the prize for the most synthetic fragrance of all time. That there is no such price, because no man would strive for it, given as a gift. I for my part would also give Angel at most an anti-price in the style of the Golden Raspberry.

Normally I appreciate it very much if a fragrance doesn't change fundamentally from the tester impression after being sprayed onto the skin. So, assuming I liked the smell on the tester. How often have I been disappointed not to buy a perfume, because it just didn't hold what it promised on the test strip on my wrist. And of all things a fragrance that remains exactly the same as it was on the tester from the first splash to the (about a day and a half later occurring) relaxation is my nightmare fragrance. I don't just don't like Angel. This artificial-sweet-biting "scent" is really the epitome of what I don't want on my skin.

Since I also want to name the positive qualities of fragrances that are absolutely cross to me for the sake of honesty, let them be named: The "authenticity" on the skin and the durability. They're actually above average. In this respect, many other fragrances could cut off more than one slice from the two Mugler creations Alien and Angel. But as is so often the case in life: You can't have everything. Either the unsurpassed durability and Sillage, or a fragrant fragrance.

With Thierry Mugler, you just have to choose the former.

Beware of Angels
I've wanted to review Angel for some time, but the thing is it never was a real love, or even like. I've had samples through the years, some I still have, and I've witnessed the launch. I remember smelling it and thinking "this is weird" or "this smells like chocolate" as a kid, and I've also witnessed Angel change, just as much as I did. It is definitely not the Angel of 1992.

As extreme and avant garde it was when it came out, so was the love or hate for it. I feel is the most polarizing fragrance ever created in its ability to convey utter love or repulse. I've never been on one side, just slightly uncomfortable wearing it, but never repulsed when the mood for it came.

Wearing my 2 year old bottle, and a decade old sample, the first thing I notice is the absence of the hard hitting medicinal patchouli in my recent formulation. Angel of yore was as much patchouli as cotton candy, melon and chocolate. Patchouli so dark it could pass of as chocolate, drizzled with honey, a fruit salad, and cotton candy from the town fair. Extremely strong, most times pungent, and definitely mood driven; just the slightest hint of it on the wrong moment and your day could be ruined. Wearing Angel was a day long compromise. And wearing samples along the years, samples which were easily and freely given, I saw different facets, slight changes, and how that town fair went from night to day.

Buying the current Angel, was mainly because 1) it's a piece of perfumery art, 2) the large rising star bottle is gorgeous and 3) I feel it has lost its extreme personality disorder. While I never enjoy reforms and try to find everything in its most vintage formula, Angel is one I couldn't do back then, nor could I now if it hadn't changed, to me for the better.
Angel is Angel. There's no mistaking it, for better or for worse. It hasn't lost its identity, but it isn't so extreme. The patchouli still feels medicinal and rough, but not in so much volume. The fruits are no longer rotting, they feel like a preserve, and the honey along the candy floss have increased as to cover any unwanted smells. The chocolate facet is still pronounced, but it's now sweeter as well, as opposed to the dark chocolate of the past, and the whole thing feels smoother and less air sucking.

I find that Angel has retained its power and sillage quite well. Where you needed a single spritz or less 20 years ago, now 2 have you covered for the day or night. The lack of extreme opposites that was in the original star bottle makes it far more wearable in all its weirdness and glory. It seems that the 'Carnaval Diabolique' mr. Mugler wanted to convey has finished; it is now morning in that same fair and you smell the remains of last nights performance. There's is also some coffee brewing somewhere in the premises, which you catch glimpses of, along the popcorn smell that was served last night.

So yes, polarizing as it may be, Angel is a landmark of imagination and faith. Mugler along Clarins and Vera Strubi went all the way, believing in, and supporting Angel until it became the hit it is. Or was. And that deserves credit. It started the whole craze for gourmands and sweet edible notes, but Angel was never simple, boring or predictable. It was and still is unique, and the father and mother of the fruitchoulis that flood the market today.
I might never be ready to experience the 1992 Angel again, but what's out there today it is still Angel, and when the mood strikes there's nothing like it.

Edit: Finding a bottle from the first years of release, now I appreciate it more than ever. Vintage Angel is smoother, rounder, better and next to the current, it’s the best of the two. The newer ones now seem shrill, cheap, following trends instead of setting them. Only vintage for me!

EsojoEsojo 3 months ago
Innovating and taking risks pays off.
AmberScentAmberScent 1 year ago
This is one perfume that makes my head turn when a woman passes by wearing it! Sexy as hell!
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
I am learning to appreciate its offbeat beauty and quirky charm, but it can still knock me sideways.
CatarinaCatarina 2 years ago
It smells of candy, patchouli, chocolate and vanilla. It seems like the dated scent of a crowded Luna Park... yes, it's that wonderful!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
I sometimes dream of a woman who is 20% Charlize Thieron, 20% Famke Janssen, 20% Bridget Moynahan, 20% Meg Ryan and 20% Mugler's Angel.
Alex1984Alex1984 4 years ago
Release the genie in the wrong moment and it can be dreadful. But, right moment and Angel is a great dirty chocolate patch, sugarless, raw.
Bcars10Bcars10 4 years ago
I will be blunt: This is a fallen angel...horribly foul and wrapped in a glittering and attractive package. Just like Satan.

by Zora
by Zora
Buntstiftspitzen-Stern :-)) ....#buntstiftbunt für Fresh
by LaVioletta
Fotokunst / Blog 2 ... für fresh21
by GlamourAngel
Wir haben es geschafft. Guten Rutsch.
by Agrafena
by Stardust
by Stardust
by Habanita
by Habanita
Der einzig wahre ANGEL Engel.......
by 2020Antiope
by EvaK
by Queenie
by Queenie
by Rosaviola
Eine 8ml Miniatur vom Angel EdP.
by Bellemorte
by Somebody
by SweetApricot
by SweetApricot

Popular Mugler

A*Men Pure Havane by Mugler Alien Essence Absolue by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt by Mugler Alien Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler Les Exceptions - Oriental Extreme / Oriental Express by Mugler Angel Eau Sucrée 2014 by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt - Création 2013 by Mugler Les Exceptions - Over The Musk by Mugler Mugler Cologne by Mugler Alien - Le Goût du Parfum by Mugler Angel Étoile des Rêves by Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee by Mugler Miroir Miroir - Miroir des Majestés by Mugler Angel Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka by Mugler Les Exceptions - Ambre Redoutable by Mugler Alien Les Parfums de Cuir by Mugler Angel (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Mugler Alien Eau Sublime by Mugler