Les Exceptions - Hot Cologne 2016

Les Exceptions - Hot Cologne by Mugler
Les Exceptions - Hot Cologne is a popular perfume by Mugler for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is spicy-fresh. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin orange, Orange blossom, Petitgrain, Ginger, Cardamom, Green coffee

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 05.10.2020.

Brother in spirit!
No more stories about your own family tree, as the title might promise. Fragrance names like to wring judgments from us that have little in common with the content.

We search in fragrances that have the predicate "Oud" in the name like to carry the wooden needle in the pile of fragrances and yet
this noble wood log proves to be a shy deer. Therefore should not be surprising if unhappy
Translations of "Cologne" always like to lead to the idea of too thin water.

The Muglers know how to fool. Even the small green poison dwarf "Mugler Cologne" is not a cologne but is present in EdT concentration and it is therefore not surprising if the "Hot Cologne" is an EdP, far away from short-lived.

Thus the "Cologne" in the name becomes the greatest common divisor of the two fragrances, which moved me to this title. The price "Les Exceptions" series is of course off the beaten track, but that doesn't automatically make the green poison dwarf an alternative.

"Hot Cologne" is an ideal compromise for fragrance lovers who don't like colognes. He is not soapy for a second and does not have his little brother's Strahlemann musk stern either. You can search for Neroli with a magnifying glass and fail. Depending on the season of use, the lemon is more dominant in the beginning or more short-lived.

One does not have to be afraid of Petitgrain, it is nevertheless gladly signal giver for an old man smell. The task here is to make the coffee note appear fresh green and this succeeds extremely well. I would like to mention that the note "green coffee" is a creative idea of Mugler marketing. Because even the result of cold-filtered roasted beans does not smell of coffee but of nuts.

If one would try to make an absolute out of green coffee beans, the typical coffee aroma, which is created by roasting + hot water, would not be given. Neroli is a strike result for me, as is ginger. One can imagine the short tickle after the application as ginger, I have here simply the alcohol in the suspicion. Anyway, nothing that stands out longer to deal with it in detail.

Basically, this fragrance also lives from its exemplary course. For me, this is what makes fragrances stand out from the crowd, the dosage of all fragrances is right, I never get the impression that I have poured myself with an artificial caramel macciato and bow to the flowing together
of Petigrain and the right dose of coffee Absolue [?], which later gains even more density through subtle emphasis on wort, without even straining typically sticky gourmand themes.

I wouldn't have guessed cardamom myself, but I can't think of any alternative. Most fragrances with a more pronounced cardamom emphasis that I know have a characteristic woodchip aura that I completely miss here. Could of course also serve as a squadron taker to save a hint of fresh sprinkling from the front into the base to keep up the idea of green coffee.

I would certify the flacon design a 12/10 regarding practical suitability. The spray head can be unscrewed and the thread countersunk. This makes the bottle look like it has been cast in one piece and yet its contents are very easy to decant, if desired. With its metal frame unfortunately also
a fingerprint magnet.

Hot cologne has little airplay here. I've given away several small bottlings of it lately and the fragrance always went down well without even asking for feedback. For me it's also a plus that you can wear it all year round and the fragrance can survive a working day even in summer, even if it's off
has long since disappeared from the radar of its own perception.

It has a bit more projection than the more appreciated "Over the Musk", yet no Sillage monster.
Both, despite their simplicity, represent the pinnacle of this series for me. Hot Cologne is listed as unisex and that's where I see it in good hands. Who judges purely on the basis of the opening could be tempted to push this Mugler intuitively into the men's department.

Conclusion: A very creative fragrance which, due to its excellent wearability, does not lack opportunities for use. With obviously not quite the prestige one would expect in this price range.

Whether Hot Cologne in our latitudes, the best marketing strategy, is for this fragrance and does not wring a too quick prejudice, I do not want to have to judge. Mugler has already renamed a fragrance due to the circumstances of the advertising medium (Pistorius). To take a part of the given name for this fragrance and to call it "Hot Shot" would be an irony that would at least seem very likeable.
Simply more "Umpf" than the Cologne
I don't think Hot Cologne gets enough credit here. Compared to his brother, the Cologne von Mugler, he has more to offer in my opinion. Both are in my collection, but I already like Hot Cologne a lot more. The main reason for this is the coffee note (green!), which is not violent at all, but nevertheless clearly determines the course of the fragrance together with the ginger and simply gives the fragrance that little bit more "Umpf". In the beginning the relationship to cologne is very clear, with a little more spice, but in the course of the day the emphasis shifts, and ginger, cardamom and coffee let an almost smoky breeze blow over them every now and then. The Sillage is not enormous, I doubt that others perceive it at all large, but the wearer has always something of it in the nose. With me he has been through a whole working day today, and still now I can clearly see him on my skin.
From the "Exceptions" series, Hot Cologne and the elegant Chyprissime are my favourites. In general, this series is highly interesting, because it gives classic fragrances an extra twist. In my opinion, Mugler proved a fine hand there, Chapeau.

by GilAroma
by GilAroma
...ab 15.7 sind die Grenzen offen :))
by Olkaolka
by RobK
by RobK
by Raluroe
by Raluroe
by Bowser
by Bowser

Popular Mugler

A*Men Pure Havane by Mugler Alien Essence Absolue by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt by Mugler Alien Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler Les Exceptions - Oriental Extreme / Oriental Express by Mugler Angel Eau Sucrée 2014 by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt - Création 2013 by Mugler Les Exceptions - Over The Musk by Mugler Mugler Cologne by Mugler Alien - Le Goût du Parfum by Mugler Angel Étoile des Rêves by Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee by Mugler Miroir Miroir - Miroir des Majestés by Mugler Angel Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka by Mugler Les Exceptions - Ambre Redoutable by Mugler Alien Les Parfums de Cuir by Mugler Angel (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Mugler Alien Eau Sublime by Mugler