Mugler Cologne 2001

Mugler Cologne by Mugler
Mugler Cologne is a popular perfume by Mugler for women and men and was released in 2001. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It was last marketed by Clarins. Pronunciation

Bergamot, Neroli, Petitgrain, Orange blossom, White musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 21.10.2020.

MasterLiMasterLi 6 years ago

„The Eau de Cologne of the future!”

Theirry Mugler's Cologne is a modern, decidedly futuristic take on a classic recipe. His inspiration was the scent of a Moroccan soap he came across...
SherapopSherapop 8 years ago

„My take on Chandler Burr's S01E02? It's a scrubber.”

My take on Chandler Burr's S01E02 (which was Thierry Mugler COLOGNE): it's a scrubber. Major yuck factor in the opening. My very...
Neukölln 4: Light green flakes
There are scents here in this forum from time to time where I fall off my chair when I see how common they are. So you think, to discover with Muglers Cologne an exotic representative of its genus and maybe write the first comment, and then: 686 owners. That's especially weird when you compare the fact that 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser has only 606.

In such situations I always have the dark urge to waste my life with the pointless occupation of leafing through these telephone book-like owner lists. You always come across very funny usernames, which you never read, here e.g. with the ladies "Grandmother" (obviously a Swiss colleague, because of the double S, Grüezi!) and "Oppossum" (the animal writes itself only with a P, but it is obvious that an oppositional female possum is meant) and with the gentlemen e.g. "Vollbart" (not interested in aftershave reviews) and "Waffeleisen" (an almost Zen-like name, like "three pounds of flax!").

Well, 686 owners, anyway. Awesome. Mugler is the real Volksköln (despite the tenfold price compared to 4711. Who would have thought it? Not me. Is that justified. I'd say not. Although it's not a bad smell
With bergamot and neroli, the Mugler has perhaps the two most characteristic, important components of the classic Farina-Cologne sound, and that is why one thinks of 4711 at first glance. More interesting, however, is what is missing, namely rosemary and lavender, which are responsible for a certain tart and dark green physicality (this makes the Mugler look a bit like deboned, only the soft fillet, no skeleton) and the lemon, which brings acidity and sharpness, hardness and brightness (the Mugler is already bright, but not white-yellow bright, but pale green bright).

By adding orange blossom and musk to Ihro's soft, flaky light green sweetness, the whole thing becomes a little too woozy for me personally (although it is composed quite harmoniously)
That would actually be the most important thing I can think of about Muglercologne, and that also means that the fragrance seems pretty feminine to me. The distribution of ownership is interesting here as well: Yin and Yang are balanced to the extent that both sun fairy and moon child are among the users, but the more than 80 percent users of the male field post number are already a surprise to me.

It should be added that the fragrance has a medium projection and a not too lush durability. Three or four hours it is already, but except for the first hour very close. For a fragrance that says cologne on it, that's ok too, I would think. In the very close reverberation phase, there is definitely something going on, which speaks for a (I mean that honestly) skilful use of the chemistry kit. Funny aquatic notes flash up and, even stronger, such an interesting, oldschool, but modernized (and somewhat effeminate) spicy soap. Quasi a nice green piece "Irish Spring" from the eighties, but in the version for elves and fairies.

Before someone blows my mind that this is not real cologne but an eau de toilette: Yes, I admit it. It's one of those nominal or titular cuisines that has "Cologne" in the name only (like Byredo's "Suday Cologne", which is actually an eau de parfum). I included the fragrance in my Cologne series anyway, because it's actually not much more durable than a cologne, and because it's obviously consciously based on the Farina tradition and plays with it in a way that's - not worse, but not so conventionally for me personally.

Deep and sincere obeisance to all venerated scent brothers and scent sisters, whose appreciated nicknames I have taken the liberty of using (unasked) in this commentary
Cantador
Thierry and Alberto in the bell street
Shock heavy... after the first sprayer:
Dear Thierry, you haven't really copied that dusty classic yet?
Not by a long shot... as it turns out
In the direct comparison I take at first hardly a difference to the 4711 original EdC war.
Then a little later - while 4711 continues to serve the auntie image - Mugler Cologne changes.
There are subtle nuances that I can hardly define, but the fragrance becomes much more modern, fresh, green and wearable.

While my comparison sprayer from Mäurer & Wirtz has already said goodbye and evaporated, there is still plenty of Mugler Cologne left.
For a no-frills newcomer, durability and projection are perfectly okay.
I could at least fill a 6-person elevator with a fragrance ;-)

Mugler Cologne is invigorating, refreshing and soothing - therefore for me a perfect companion for the hot days.
I like to wear it at home - additionally a few sprayers in the running fan... simply wonderful!
KOlufsen
Surprisingly not a "blind buy" candidate - at least not for me
I am well aware that this fragrance is widely recognized and certainly not a bad one! Nevertheless, I would like to point out its surprisingly strong peculiarity/personality, which surprised me a bit - sometimes even took me by surprise. So I assumed that Mugler Cologne is THE stereotype of a "soap scent", which I usually like so much. Nowhere to bite, no edge to show, stay under the radar. In some situations you just want to wear a scent like that.
But there's something about Mugler Cologne that bothers me (especially in the top note shortly after and during application) that I find a little difficult to specify. Maybe it is the neroli, maybe it is the composition as such.
In any case, in short: It's best to test it first to be on the safe side :)

Cologne review
Long time coming, but I have finally gotten around to the Moroccan soap - inspired Mugler Cologne. A modern take on the traditional Eau de cologne, composed by Alberto Morrillas. I hope you enjoy the review, thanks for watching.......

Love can be so simple
i can only say I'm glad I got a bottle of Mugler cologne.
Praised by many and described as an evergreen, but also with a soapy touch, but always with less attention from me because of the latter.
"I don't want to smell like hotel soap... or..."
Yes, maybe I always had a different idea in my head when I thought about this, which turned me away and I devoted myself to more exciting scents again, especially because scents that go in the greenish direction don't really appeal to me at all. But since I already learned from Dior Homme Cologne that even very simple and linear fragrances can have a very big appeal, Mugler Cologne should also be on my bottling wish list Well, I probably should have made that decision sooner. I closed my eyes with benevolence from the very first sprayer I released into the air in front of my nose. Simply incredibly refreshing, clean, linear, somewhat herbaceous. Yes, but I want to smell like hotel soap!

For me (also because of the price), Mugler Cologne is not a perfume that I put on when I go out, but always when I long for this fresh feeling of cleanliness (it doesn't mean that I don't wear cheap scents for going out).
So mainly in summer, when it's really warm or hot, always after I get out of the shower a spray to the chest before I get dressed again or just when I'm at home and don't want to wear any perfume. Also for the gym I use it all the time now.
I don't classify it in the typical perfume category, for me it's more of a room freshener/body spray if that makes sense.
Even if you still want to go out and have applied Mugler Cologne, you can easily apply another perfume 1 hour later - don't worry, it won't bite you with anyone.

For a long time I was floating in the belief that the simplest and simplest fragrances are the quickest to "get fed up" with and become boring. Meanwhile, however, I believe that it is precisely this kind of scent that one lets linger in one's collection forever with a clear conscience.
The fragrance for home
For me, Mugler Cologne is the perfect fragrance when I don't leave the house and it's very warm outside. I like the soapy and clean scent. It is not intrusive, cheap and the bottle also looks very nice in my collection surrounded by fragrances that cost a multiple. For a bit more depth and durability, you should use Creeds Original Vetiver, so I'll leave the house. Due to its low price, it also serves as a room freshener for me, just like Ferraris Bright Neroli.

A Neroli and Bergamot Bomb
SOTD: Mugler Cologne: As of 01/24/19

Like fresh green leaves after a rainstorm, that's how described this fragrance, my nose detects the Neroli, Bergamot and the Orange flower in the opening and then on the dry down
more of the Neroli, Bergamot, and Musk. Getting that bitter orange vibe as well from the Orange flower, Bergamot and Petitgrain. Excellent release from the Mugler house. To me probably one of the best fresh fragrance currently. All the notes are blended well. Excellent scent for the summer and as well an office scent. Definitely a must have.

Scent: 8.5/10
Design/Presentation: 9/10
Value: 7/10
Longevity/Performance: 8.52/10: Lasted on my skin/skin scent around between 8-10+ hrs
Overall: 8.25/10

My 2nd wearing of this fragrance as my office SOTD of the day as of 03/12/19, did not get any compliment which to me no worries I wear my fragrances in my collection to adore and love it's capabilities to it's full potential of the scent/fragrance. Neroli is one of my many favorite note(s) , I still put there with being on my top freshie spring/summer fragrances in my collection and rotation. Just love the Neroli with the mixture of bergamot and petitgrain being well blended. Longevity/Performance remains the same 8.25 out of 10, 9-11 sprays lasted on my skin as a skin scent around 9+ hrs. And my overall score will remain the same on this fragrance cause I'm putting Bright Neroli ahead of this fragrance which is 8.25 out of 10. It will be in my spring/summer rotation for 2019.

Futuristic Eau de Cologne
Mugler Cologne has a citrus opening and I almost smell something like ginger. There is also some subtle sweetness coming from neroli and orange blossom. Towards the drydown, the citrus aroma is always there, but I also smell something reminding me of vetiver, though it's not on the list.

Overall it's green, fresh and a little soapy. Very pleasant to sniff but not something plain and dull. The sillage is close to skin but the scent is persistent during the wearing. The longevity is at least 6 hours.

It's a fragrance that I'll reach out on a sunny day in spring or summer, when I don't have a particular desire for 'fragrance', but still want to smell good.
Eau de neon
AugustA was actually sure that she would like this Cologne with its exaggerated Mugler modernism. What then came was a very unique citrus green, bright to brightly shining, actually white shining. Reminiscent of something Indian about white flowers, tuberose virtually without the tuberose scent. Hypermodern and shrill. Fast past, then only some fleetingly spicy Vetiver remained. It's pretty good in midsummer, though. It makes me feel a little dressed up in the sense of disguised. Doesn't fit, doesn't refresh. Too bad.
Eau de neon.

Steamy Cologne
Scentrack
Fun Lovin' Criminals - Half a Block

In my heart there is a special place for three classic colognes with a modern twist: l'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque, Vettiveru by Comme des Garcons and Mugler Cologne.
Mugler Cologne is fresh, clean, genderless and very nice. Starts with bergamot, piercing neroli and just a touch of clean aldehydes. Soon white flowers and musk follow the top notes. The special feature of MC i s clean, steamy note of hot iron. Perfectly clean, and so compatible with white shirt. Insiders say MC contains molecule S - Sex molecule, the smell of post coital liquids, but I don't feel anything dirty. But one can expect the unexpected from Mugler.
The newer bottle looks like a part of Captain Kirk's bathroom, great design.

Rating: 8/10

More on Scentimentalwords

MillanderMillander 9 months ago
Itdoesn't contain vetiver so please don't compare with Creed Original Vetiver.
AspvlAspvl 14 months ago
Fresh, tart citrus leaves is what I get. Wonderful! I don't get people who think it's soapy?? Where's the soap in this?
ItchynoseItchynose 22 months ago
A blast of fresh, sharp citrus after the morning shower. Hard not to like!
DanielleDanielle 22 months ago
Fresh citrus-green unisexfragance wich I often use as a layer to chill up heave perfumes…
PMRP12PMRP12 3 years ago
A crisp, green bar of soap that makes me feel freshly-showered clean and universally appealing.
ElysiumElysium 4 years ago
One of my favorite summer colognes of all time happens to be Thierry Mugler Cologne. Very refreshing, very light, very soapy. I just love it

by Flanker
by Prophetfive
by Tonymu
by Tonymu

Popular Mugler

A*Men Pure Havane by Mugler Alien Essence Absolue by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt by Mugler Alien Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler Angel Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler Les Exceptions - Oriental Extreme / Oriental Express by Mugler Angel Eau Sucrée 2014 by Mugler A*Men Pure Malt - Création 2013 by Mugler Alien - Le Goût du Parfum by Mugler Les Exceptions - Over The Musk by Mugler Angel Étoile des Rêves by Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee by Mugler Angel Liqueur de Parfum - Création 2013 by Mugler Les Exceptions - Ambre Redoutable by Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka by Mugler Alien Les Parfums de Cuir by Mugler Miroir Miroir - Miroir des Majestés by Mugler Angel (2011) (Eau de Toilette) by Mugler A*Men Ultra Zest by Mugler Alien Eau Sublime by Mugler