Bon Viveur 2021

Bon Viveur by Naughton & Wilson
Bon Viveur is a new perfume by Naughton & Wilson for men and was released in 2021. The scent is woody-fresh.

John Stephen

Base Notes Base NotesCedarCedar
PatchouliPatchouli
Haitian vetiverHaitian vetiver
OakmossOakmoss

Submitted by Golcher, last update on 19.10.2021.

Stinkypenny
I have smelt this before....
There is something about this that is very very comforting and reminds me of my childhood. It reminds me of getting my hair braided while sat on the floor during summer holidays. Sat between my mums knees, elbowing her when she farts while she sticks a comb in my head a payback. We laugh. We share many laughs over the hours as she braids my hair, taking breaks to feed my brothers, stretch her legs, and her fingers. It smells of citrus oils infused hair butter. A hair product she uses to nourish my scalp and hair as she twists and braids it, making art, though she wouldn't consider it so. To her it is just motherhood. To me this is home, this is patience, this is beautiful.

It's calm and pretty, a buttery warmth lurks beneath the fresh citrus heavy opening. The citrus oils linger in a way that leads me to believe these may be real oils and not synthetics. The laurel adds an earthy greeness... I want to say warm moss-like quality to the opening and mid. There is no point, even with such a line-up in the opening, where this fragrance is sharp. It's citrus freshness is another layer that masks a real warmth that lies in the heart of this fragrance, possibly from the clove and lingering bay leaf. The truth is, there doesn't seem to be (at least to me) any real distinction between the top and middle notes. Any sharpness in the top could easily come from the fresh burst of alcohol, on skin. In the air there is a freshness which is still followed, doggedly, by the heart of clove and the bay leaf in the top. It's fantastically composed. So welcoming. Definitely a unisex fragrance for those who do not care for gendered fragrance. This is a must sniff, especially if you are Black. The scent is instantly recognisable. Love it. Is it full bottle worthy? Further testing on sillage and longevity would need to be done to ascertain this fact. Will update!

Landshark321
Fresh spicy, classic-meets-modern, great follow-up to Gravitas
This is my first wearing of the sophomore release from Dan Naughton’s company, Naughton & Wilson, Bon Viveur, a fresher follow-up to the spicier Gravitas, but still fresh and spicy in its own right, a mix of citruses and spices with a woody base. Bon Viveur immediately feels like a sort of modern homage to fresh men’s classics like Dior Eau Sauvage (the original EDT) or Chanel Pour Monsieur (the current EDT) mixed with lemon-lime soda, with a certain gin fizziness and slightly metallic tone. The main standout notes are fittingly lemon and lime (particularly at the opening) as well as pepper, clove, gin (presumably juniper), and a base of cedar, patchouli, vetiver, and oakmoss. Particularly as it dries down, the lemon/lime/gin fades a bit and gives with to the spicy clove and pepper, paired harmoniously with base notes. It certainly gets a little spicier over time, then, but still feels like it has a good balance, even after the initial effervescence has faded somewhat.

Much like with Gravitas, I love the classic-meets-modern vibe of the aforementioned men’s classics as well as a more modern gin-infused, slightly-spicy-but-still fresh vibe. Also like Gravitas, it has a versatility to it both in terms of weather and situation, but as Gravitas is slightly heavier/darker/spicier, Bon Viveur is slightly lighter/brighter/fresher, albeit with still well above average performance, even if not quite as strong as the performance of Gravtias.

Bon Viveur is priced slightly higher ($150) than Gravitas ($120) and can be shipped to the US. I believe it’s currently only sold through the Naughton & Wilson website. As with Gravitas, I believe the price on Bon Viveur is quite reasonable in the current market, at $1.5/ml, and I’m quite pleased with the quality and evolution after several hours.

Overall, I’m very impressed and look forward to adding a bottle to my collection alongside Gravitas. The duo offers a bit of a day-night/winter-summer duality but both fragrances are really quite versatile and their high utility/wearability overlap considerably with one another.

8 out of 10