Murkwood 2020

Murkwood by Pineward
Murkwood is a new perfume by Pineward for women and men and was released in 2020. The scent is green-smoky. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Perfumer & Creative Guidance

Nicholas Nilsson (Brand owner, Perfume maker)

Balsam firBalsam fir
Hemlock firHemlock fir
Lapsang Souchong teaLapsang Souchong tea
MossMoss
FrankincenseFrankincense
MyrrhMyrrh

Submitted by Hatka, last update on 21.10.2021.

Landshark321
Slightly edgier incarnation, still woody and resinous but with a little more bite
Sampling Pineward Perfumes Murkwood, another dark, brooding, woody entry from this house of seemingly many such options. There are some similarities to the dark spicy pine resin aspect of Fanghorn II, but Murkwood has a funkier animalic quality to it. Listed notes are fir balsam, black hemlock, lapsang suchong, moss, incense, bitter myrrh. There’s a vague damp, dank, mossy quality to it that is more prominent than in some other offerings in the house or contemporary fragrances of a similar ilk.

Whereas Fanghorn II brings to mind other entries like Dasein Winter Nights and Slumberhouse Norne, Murkwood has a more distinct character, something even dirtier, grittier, more boundary-pushing. I quite like it, overall, like the other entries, and I’m thinking more and more that I’ll need to do some side by side comparisons between some of these after I’ve sampled them all.

Pricing is standard for the line, $135/80 for 37/17ml, not by any means cheap but this is an interesting fragrance, and while my tastes are a little more suited to Boreal or Fanghorn II, Murkwood is more unique while similarly being dense and strong.

8 out of 10
Untouched nature
I'm off then.... Rainy forest in autumn.. By the spruces and firs in alder swamp forests. Forest animals unconcerned, birds build their nests in the moss. A haze rises in the sky, it's raining. Please don't look for me...

One of the most extraordinary scents I was allowed to smell.
Nature caught in the deepest black, at the same time also the most oily and thickest perfume what I have tested.

Starting with a rainy fir, which is caught mossy and balsamic. Shortly thereafter,comes also already the incense, which fortunately just like moss, was very well balanced. The fir begins to bleed, it drips the resins, it all remains very gentle.
The rain stops, the warmth rises from the ground. It has something of the eucalyptus infusion. How I would love to be in a sauna right now...
The warmth dries the forest and at the end a natural smell of the tree bark remains.

However, I am a little afraid to wear the scent with white clothes. Not only does it leave a light golden imprint on my skin, but it also lies on me like a thick, somewhat sticky and resinous veil.

More nature from the forest I can not imagine. Really recommendable!
Grandma M.'s garden
I spent a lot of time with my grandma as a child. You could actually say that I grew up almost half with her.
She had an older house with quite a large garden on the very edge of a small village. She planted at that time, together with my grandpa, some firs there in the garden, when the house was just built. In my time, of course, they had already grown tall and towered far above the roof. In the middle of the firs was a small pond, with goldfish and frogs that came to visit from time to time. That was where I spent most of my time. I played a lot, discovered a lot, learned a lot.
At one point, my grandma had my uncle build his own sweet bench there for me. When the weather was nice, I would then retreat to 'my' spot with books and read. And then it happened with every slightly stronger breeze that some of the pine needles fell on the leaves of the books. As I read, I would break one in two and hold them close under my nose to inhale that resinous, woody, fresh-green scent. Soothing, lulling.
It was also in this place that I began to discover my love for the smell of tree sap. My first conscious memory is of accidentally leaning on the tree (as a very small cerotonin), right into the sticky substance. I found the smell to be so strong that I recoiled in shock and ran to my grandma. She smiled and explained that the tree was bleeding but that I shouldn't worry. She said that the scent was so beautiful after all. My interest was piqued and I began to experiment. I quickly discovered that some of the fir's resin could be clear and viscous, amber and even more viscous, or yellowish-white and solid. Depending on the stage, the strength of the scent also changes. The liquid was also perfect for gluing leaves and sticks together to build a Barbie nature tent ;-)
Now, over twenty years later, I'm sitting here and still quite overwhelmed by everything the scent triggers in my head. Murkwood smells exactly like the place where I loved to spend time back then. Like the pine needles on the books, the loose earth under the trees, the resin running down the wood, and the crisp air under the firs.
My grandma has since sadly passed away, the house was sold and the firs cut down by the new owner. I usually try not to think about it very much, as it makes me dead sad. But I know that's part of life too - constant change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes just for the worse.
Thank you Murkwood for the bittersweet memories and thank you Floyd, for the sample!
In the smoke forest..
In the fresh moss-green dawn they begin their day's work.
Resourcefully nimble spruce gnomes smoke strong, spicy-smelling black tea.
There in the incense they carry fragrant fir baskets for transport.
Balsamic sweet myrrh steam makes thinking herbaceously clear.
Resinous fresh spruce smolders in the sooty smokehouse and resourceful nimble spruce dwarves turn aromatic resinous wood tarry pine coals.
Then, in the initial evening glow
flutter needle-green hemlock butterflies darkly blissful, Around a nearby campfire.
And bright ethereal glow fragrant balsam fir flames.
The resourceful nimble spruce gnomes now shine darkly, Sitting by the blissful light, drinking their lapsang souchong tea....

****
The Murkwood starts out with a nice, strong mossy freshness on me, but it soon blends with the smoky notes of the Lapsang Souchong tea.
Due to the smoking process, the smoke note is very present, seems in my nose typical smoky spicy, strong dark. [brief, slight association with licorice root]
For a moment, this smoke covers with me all freshness from the start.
But then the green fir scents and that moss come through again and are interspersed with myrrh and frankincense.
An extremely beautiful and exciting forest fragrance, which surprises just by this smoke tea note.
*[ A heartfelt thanks to Floyd :) ]

Life-like Fir...
Murkwood moves right past any detectable top notes on skin, shifting straight to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart, a dominant dark coniferous green fir accord takes the fore with a subtle black licorice and black current supporting tandem undertone and with hints of additional supporting green tree moss. During the late dry-down the composition softens as the coniferous green fir remains the focus, shedding its dark facet and the licorice undertone as it adds supporting stark incense to the mix through the finish. Projection is below average but longevity is excellent at over 12 hours on skin.

Immediately after applying Murkwood on skin I knew this was some great smelling stuff. The composition is highly linear and doesn't feature a ton of key notes throughout, but what *is* there, is sublime. The coniferous green fir that is the focus of most of the development is potent and extremely life-like. The perfume near-certainly contains gobs of high quality naturals, and the dark green juice color coupled with the 34% extrait concentration stained my skin and I am sure would do the same to clothing. The incense is less forward than the fir, and early-on I really couldn't smell it until the fir softened during the dry-down to allow the it to emerge from hiding, adding another facet to the relatively straightforward development. If there is a perfume that is in the general ballpark of Murkwood (apart from its discontinued excellent smelling sister scent Fanghorn), it would have to be the initial release of Norne by Sumberhouse. Norne is great smelling stuff, but I think I like Murkwood a hair more. The bottom line is the $128 per 37ml extrait bottle Murkwood represents an "excellent" 4 stars out of 5 rated life-like approximation of a walk through a dark coniferous forest, earning a strong recommendation to lovers of compositions like Norne in particular, but all coneheads should apply.
Dark Matter
Faun felt really murkwoody. Such darkness had hardly come to him before in a forest. At first there was only silence, a lightless, anechoic cabin and yet of infinite vastness, an empty space for association.
Then tart sweet steam filled the void, like Indian resins in soft myrrh and the warm smoke of Chinese tea soaking the musty mosses on the floor, Faun literally felt the earth, the damp, the smoldering pine roots, the coking in the mist of the Lapsang Souchong. Now and then ethereal coniferous resins glimmered like northern lights across the dark sky, drawing the silhouettes of balsam firs into the night, the dark matter to whose skeleton invisibly everything clings.
Faun sank into the mossy earth of the warm forest floor for quite a few hours, counting the bright green coniferous resin shards that slowly only grew fewer.
Pineward Perfumes, based in Utah, is entirely dedicated to the scents of dark virgin forests beyond any civilization. Nicholas Nilsson uses mainly highly concentrated absolues in his alcohol-based perfumes. He explicitly does not produce the fragrances in limited quantities, as he does not want to create any buying pressure or hype around his brand.
I don't think "Murkwood" can quite stand up to the comparison with "Norne" below. Murkwood is not quite as dense as Norne, overall a little quieter, yet a kinship in the connection of coniferous forest, smoke, earth and moss is definitely present.

In den urbanen Tannen
by Floyd
Dunkle Materie und Nadelharzschnuppen
by Floyd
by Caligari
by Caligari

Popular Pineward

Fanghorn II by Pineward Bindebole by Pineward Fanghorn by Pineward Boreal by Pineward Steading by Pineward Cotswold by Pineward Oxylus by Pineward Apple Tabac by Pineward Christmas Wine by Pineward Velvetine by Pineward Revelries by Pineward Genever by Pineward Treacle by Pineward