Strawanza

Strawanza by Wiener Schurken
Strawanza is a popular perfume by Wiener Schurken for men. The release year is unknown. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesBlack pepperBlack pepper
Base Notes Base NotesOudOud
MuskMusk
LabdanumLabdanum
Tonka beanTonka bean

Submitted by Byrd, last update on 05.08.2021.

Vienna Calling - Hiniche Perfume for Hiniche Leud
After a long silence and stillness on my part, I now write again a comment on a fragrance that has surprised me very much
To the prehistory around the fragrance:

1. I had him not really on the screen. I have seen him only briefly at another friendly Parfumo, when he had sent me a picture via Whatsapp. Since I liked the look of the OVP already very much, however, the fragrance is then by the everyday stress a little lost in my thoughts.
2. I got the fragrance now as a surprise gift from my worthy Parfumofreund. This Parfumo has long since become not only a Parfumofreund, but just also in real life a good buddy.
(In this sense I would like to thank also simply again with all nice Parfumos, which I learned to know over the time here. However, a special thanks goes to 3 Parfumo's who have become real friends and with whom I have really regular contact in private: Scentennial, PallasCC & Caligaria)
3. Has the fragrance really just very surprised me.

And now back to the actual topic, the fragrance:

Wiener Schurken is a small label that as the name suggests comes from Austria. By the way, I like the Austrian rogues much better than the rogues from America. (Rogue Perfumery) Sure, the label from Austria has only one fragrance, whereas Rogue already has much more up their sleeve. Both of them nevertheless focus on the vintage style of their fragrance. Here, however, Vienna is clearly ahead. In terms of price and quality, the Viennese are clearly better in my eyes. But these are just my thoughts, everyone can make up their own mind. The "EdC" of the Viennese rogues makes a significantly better figure on my skin, as the fragrances of Rogue.
Durability etc.

Zack and again too far digressed, now but nund finally the fragrance :

Strawanza definitely shows its vintage characteristics/roots, but so should a fragrance that advertises a traditional 1953 formula.

Now some will say, "1953? The fragrance can only smell stale."
Wrong, in my nose he just does not seem at all stale.

The fragrance opens with a pleasant fresh opening. I suspect that this comes from the mixture of menthol and pepper. Relatively results in the fragrance a fine spice , I perceive the clove. This plays really nicely with the menthol and pepper. If you give the fragrance a few more minutes to unfold, it becomes noticeably woodier. The freshness flattens out but remains detectable in the background. Musk comes into play and gives the whole composition a slight "creaminess". This has almost something of a noble shaving foam and I mean that in no way negative. Often vintage fragrances are also compared with soap, of which the whole is far away.
Strawanza is a gentleman fragrance. A barbershop fragrance, which times a different path than the typical lavender Fougeré and convinced in addition still with a strong Perfomance for a Edc.

In this sense:
Pomade in the hair, Strawanza spray on, frock put on and off before the door ;)
Nitro1988
A totally successful comeback mixed with more modern facets
I came across this fragrance by chance and I am not really fond of barbershop fragrances. But this one is different. Well done, round and appealingly unique.

The formulation is said to be old, but you won't notice it in the fragrance. Woody, fresh,... The menthol is noticeable, refreshing when sprayed. The performance of the EDC was better than expected. Also the Sillage is well perceptible for several hours.

All in all a fragrance that is easy to wear and the price-performance ratio is absolutely fair. You have to consider that it is even "handmade".

Definitely test it!
A touch of nostalgia
Strawanza is a fresh, woody old-school scent and a perfume that makes little boys burn their fingers. A product that is still classically produced in a manufactory in Insbruck. The attention to detail is already noticeable in the hand-packed presentation. The art design, the name everything is top notch in my eyes. The Eau de Cologne begins with a spicy, slightly peppery accord and clove, and it also has subtle green touches. The menthol seems very balanced and provides a pleasant cooling effect. In the further course of the fragrance becomes a little warmer and a slight sweetness spreads. In the dry-down the notes are pulled together a bit, the warmth is still present but is carried on a modern cedar wood base. Despite the old original recipe, the fragrance never seems to get old. Overall, the woody base provides a clean, slightly sharp and masculine finish. The Eau de Cologne has a good shelf life of six to seven hours and a moderate aura. The perfume is priced at 59€ for 100ml.
-----------------------
Conclusion: Whoever is looking for a barbershop fragrance without lavender will find it with Strawanza. A beautiful and handcrafted great old school fragrance. The perfume is also wonderfully suitable as an after shave. Performance is for an Eau de Cologne ???.
Barbershop-scent times different
The fragrance is based on a nearly 70 year old recipe. The freshness of menthol combined with the pungency of pepper and clove form the spicy opening of this eau de colognes. As the fragrance progresses, Strawanza becomes much woodier, warmer and pleasantly sweet towards the end. This is mainly due to oud, cedar wood, patchouli and tonka bean in the heart and base notes. I like the scent process quite well. At first it reminded me of a barbershop scent, but it lacks the soapy-creamy note that is often used too much. I find this very convenient.

A very successful woody-spicy fragrance with the lightness of an eau de colognes and the durability of an eau de toilette concentration. Because with a performance of more than 7 hours on my skin, it is an exception among the Eau de Colognes for me.

A great all-rounder for all seasons.

Old School Recipe for the new era of Fougère
I am on an old school fragrance journey, I am pursuing fragrances that take me back to my past or times I never lived just so that I can experience how scent was back then. Strawanza is a creation of Wiener Schurken from Austria, these dudes took a 1953 recipe and recreated it today, how is it? Let’s deep dive.

Something about me... I don’t put gender to fragrances, I don’t gatekeep, in this case…I might make an exception because of a scent memory, Strawanza is an old-school barbershop…down to the menthol. The moment I put it on my skin I am transported to the vinyl seats of my local barbershop (the one I walked to, not drove to), the old man in the corner talking about things that would not be considered PC now-a-days, a tv playing baseball year round, the other barbers chatting with the clients that were sitting down, joking, no cellphones, no tablets, no access to information to disprove anyone, what you said went, it transported me to simpler times and it’s easy to imagine this being a fragrance in the 50s.

It opens up so fresh with menthol & clove, sweet with patchouli & tonka, but also has a twist with black pepper and musk, all on a woody base of cedar, its amazing and my wife immediately said “this is pure macho, recently shaven, jeans and boots or suit and tie, pour this on your hands and slap your neck to apply”. I was a little surprised that I enjoyed the menthol and the cooling effect it had on me as I did not expect to like that on a fragrance, this can be used as an after-shave but make no mistake, I could detect this on my skin 6-8 hours after applying, it might be Cologne but it's no slouch.

I could tell you how much I like this until I bore you with words, if you are looking for a barbershop fragrance but want something that doesn’t rely on lavender, look no further, you found it, gift this to someone who appreciates old-school… and win at gifting, get this for yourself and get transported, if you end up wearing an old-school suit and hat because of this…you are welcome my friend.

Thanks for reading!

X.
Wear it because it complements you, not because of the compliments.
Instagram: 99bottledscents

A Successful Blind Buy
I've managed to get a few days wear our of my Strawanza after super quick delivery to the UK all the way from Vienna, Austria. This was one of my first ever fragrance blind buys, a decision I made after talking to Roman, one of the brains behind the fragrance (the other is his wife) who I can honestly say is a pleasant and enthusiastic fellow. I feel it's always important to support projects by passionate people and I speak from personal experience having received plenty of support from strangers when it came to releasing my fiction books a few years back. I was a bit apprehensive whilst waiting for my order seeing as I hadn't had a chance to test the smell but now it has arrived I can safely say it was a very good purchase despite the perceived risk.

Strawanza evokes in me images of when men were real men, and I can clearly see dapper gentlemen from the 40s/50s wearing this as they kick back in a smoky taproom after a hard day's labour. I believe the scent is a modernised take on a vintage, discontinued cologne from around that period and I can clearly imagine my grandfather wearing this in his heyday. I get warming clove at the initial application which dries down into something really earthy and peppery then develops into something fresh with a subtle mintiness. It's a masculine smell and usually my partner likes me in something less manly, but even she enjoyed this intriguing and unique fragrance.

Longevity is good for a cologne and I was still catching pleasing whiffs of Strawanza some five to six hours after I'd put it on. I wore it when out with friends yesterday and, even from a Covid-safe distance, I got a few compliments about how good I smelled. Roman, your creation is getting a lot of love over here in England!

It's probably natural to feel some apprehension when buying unknown brands or artisanal fragrances but if you fancy something made with a bucketload of love, passion, and effort, something a little bit different, something incredibly masculine, or something old school you could do much worse than trying Strawanza.

For me, this scent is a real winner and I'm glad I took a chance on it.

Fragweirdo
An love letter to the old school
Wiener Schurken (the Viennese Villains) is the name the Austrian brand Hairbase gave to their own products. They’ve started with a small range. You can buy either STRAWANZA, their Eau de cologne - a wooden grooming products organiser and some street wear. They have a very funky logo and image and further products like shaving soaps are in development.

“A Wiener Schurke is a wanderer with a charming personality, healthy self-confidence, strong character and genuine handshake quality that is rarely found nowadays.”

And so to STRAWANZA Eau de cologne. This is a love letter from the old school. Based on an original recipe from 1953, it’s a nostalgia laden barbershop style fragrance that instantly evokes all sorts of vintage imagery - of well groomed gents reading broad sheet newspapers and drinking fine coffee.

First of all: This is an Eau De Cologne. And it’ll double as an aftershave. But don’t be fooled into thinking it’ll vanish instantly. It goes on strong and then gently fades over 5 or 6 hours down to a very nice close woody base.

The opening is a spicy clove and menthol medley that immediately makes me think of classic scents like Polo and Halston Z14 but no cinnamon note (a good thing in this case). Over time it feels like the notes are being drawn together and warmed to create a very lovely woody base.

This fragrance is clearly a labour of love. It’s not a cynical perfume. No beast mode bullshit here. Just a very beautiful product that’s truly gentlemanly and a credit to the brand. If you want to smell classy and cool, and you’re not desperate to choke everyone around you, then buy this. It’s lovely.

GewoonBB
Renewed trust in eau de colognes (NKNN)
Do you wear eau de colognes? To be completely honest, since I've started my fragrance journey, eau de colognes haven't been on my radar much. There's still an association to cheap and outdated for this style, because those were the things I've smelled as a kid or a teen. Lately I've found my appreciation for lavender (in part because of Zaharoff) and with Strawanza, my eyes are once again opening up to the world of eau de cologne. Strawanza is a masculine woody and spicey scent that was sent to me by the Austrian brand Wiener Schurken, and it's a nice one.

Strawanza opens a bit harsh, due to the alcohol and the spices, but what struck me immediately is that the woody accord in this is very nice. It's on the darker and greener side, so it takes me to a pine forest, but it's balanced by a fresher and brighter scent from the clove and menthol. The combination puts it in the Christmas-scent direction for me, especially when it starts to get sweeter. That sweetness in Strawanza really makes the fragrance for me. There's patchouli and tonka, but to my nose it's quite a strong cinnamon-like scent for most of the wear, but a touch greener. The original darker woodiness, makes way for a cedar base, so it smells a bit cleaner, sharper and I guess more modern. All the while the fresher tinge remains, reminding me a bit of shaving cream.

One of the reasons eau de colognes have not been featured on my page a lot, is the longevity. When your collection grows, the need to reach for a shorter lived fragrance isn't always obvious. Now the longevity on this is surprisingly good and besides, there are situations where you don't need all day performance, especially in the early morning or before bedtime, which is why Strawanza works well as an aftershave as well. At €59/100ml is very reasonably priced and you won't get much better. Show some love to our Austrian friends! •
Woody peppery fresh
... this is the best way to describe the STRAWANZA fragrance for me. Since I myself also come from Austria, I simply had to try this fragrance and I was not disappointed. Due to the special mixture with menthol, the Eau de Cologne has a unique character that I have never seen before. In any case it is a very masculine scent. Immediately after spraying it on, the top notes of pepper, clove, menthol and patchouli are very noticeable. Afterwards musk and cedar wood are very present. In the drydown the scent develops a very pleasant warm and spicy scent on the skin. I perceive the scent for about 6 hours, which is quite ok for an Eau de Cologne. The packaging carton is very stylish and the spray bottle itself was also lovingly wrapped with green tissue paper and golden cord. The price is acceptable for a small brand, where the product is not industrially manufactured, but filled by hand.

FredroFredro 9 months ago
It's a very unique scent of wood & spice blended with menthol. It lasts very long for an EdC (around 4-6 hours). Awesome barbershop scent!

by X57deadsoulx