Strawanza by Wiener Schurken

Strawanza

GewoonBB
19.10.2020 - 06:13 PM

Renewed trust in eau de colognes (NKNN)

Do you wear eau de colognes? To be completely honest, since I've started my fragrance journey, eau de colognes haven't been on my radar much. There's still an association to cheap and outdated for this style, because those were the things I've smelled as a kid or a teen. Lately I've found my appreciation for lavender (in part because of Zaharoff) and with Strawanza, my eyes are once again opening up to the world of eau de cologne. Strawanza is a masculine woody and spicey scent that was sent to me by the Austrian brand Wiener Schurken, and it's a nice one.

Strawanza opens a bit harsh, due to the alcohol and the spices, but what struck me immediately is that the woody accord in this is very nice. It's on the darker and greener side, so it takes me to a pine forest, but it's balanced by a fresher and brighter scent from the clove and menthol. The combination puts it in the Christmas-scent direction for me, especially when it starts to get sweeter. That sweetness in Strawanza really makes the fragrance for me. There's patchouli and tonka, but to my nose it's quite a strong cinnamon-like scent for most of the wear, but a touch greener. The original darker woodiness, makes way for a cedar base, so it smells a bit cleaner, sharper and I guess more modern. All the while the fresher tinge remains, reminding me a bit of shaving cream.

One of the reasons eau de colognes have not been featured on my page a lot, is the longevity. When your collection grows, the need to reach for a shorter lived fragrance isn't always obvious. Now the longevity on this is surprisingly good and besides, there are situations where you don't need all day performance, especially in the early morning or before bedtime, which is why Strawanza works well as an aftershave as well. At €59/100ml is very reasonably priced and you won't get much better. Show some love to our Austrian friends! •

Latest Reviews

GewoonBBGewoonBB 1 year ago
Vivacious - Hiram Green

Vivacious Vivacious (NKNN)
• HIRAM GREEN VIVALICIOUS • What's a new release that you're excited for? If you've been following my journey, you'll know that I love what Hiram Green is doing and I love most of his fragrances. Now Vivalicous is one that I honestly had concerns...

GewoonBBGewoonBB 1 year ago
Pokémon - Air-Val International

Pokémon Aventus Killer? (NKNN)
Pokémon EDT opens with a relatively acceptable soft floral scent. Think rose water and stalks, with a bit of orange-y citrus. After about 15 minutes, a wild plasticy air freshener scent appears. 1 to 1.5 hours in, and most of the citrus has faded...