AmberScent

Perfume Reviews
Filter & sort
11 - 15 by 26
AmberScent 4 years ago 7 1
You still can find inexpensive amber treasures
With my "AmberScent" Parfumo alias, it is easy to understand that I am a sucker for all the perfumes with "amber" in its name, or with strong notes ambery ingredients. And I am not easy to satisfy because as I have more than twenty amber fragrances and tested more than one hundred, I am rather difficult to please whan amber scents are at stake.
Last week I bought two inexpensive and very fromdifferent amber perfumes:
- Pascal Morabito Red Amber and Zara Black Amber EDP.
I liked the Zara perfume very much but my findings will became a text opinion later in 2019. Both of them are very good indeed but I promised somebody to make this review first, so let's start with amber in red an leave amber in black for later.
My surprise started before the first whif. Out of the box, I admired a very elegant bottle with a cubic wood lid.
After two spatters, I got a tangerine or spicy orange opening, quite unlike any that has an orange smell that I aware of, but nevertheless very agreable. The scent catches our attention and make us demand for more.
Some moments later you are blessed with an alluring elemi and cardamom accord.
In the first and second stages of development, you experience an almost unique aroma. If you like amber fragrances you will love this. Before the drydown, this fragrance only makes me associate a respectable similarity with Amouage's Memoir Man.
The drydown is a bit less unusual, with an amber background framing an agreement of dark woods and tonka. However, it is also a very pleasant drydown, but now sweeter than the Amouage perfume, and therefore less similar.
You may expect an average longevity of six hours with two sprays and a sillage of a bit more than one arm lenght ,with one hour and a half of projection.
This fragrance turns out to have a giant value for money as it is quite an inexpensive one; on top of this low price, magnific masculine and unique juice, you get also a top notch presentation worthy of the front row in any shelf.
I do recommend it!
AmberScent 4 years ago 6 3
The reflections of a Dior Homme Intense humble user
Dear friends of Parfumo,
In 2018, I bought two Dior perfumes with the guarantee of buying original products (sometimes you receive some odd imitations over the net). These are Dior Homme Intense EDP (2011) and Dior Sauvage EDP (2018). First I will focus my attention on DHI and reveal the results of my humble reflections during the last months, being sure that I am reviewing a legit product.
However this is not a normal review, but a compilation of thoughts I had about this fragrance in the past couple of months. My objective fragrance rating is naturally different from a random thoughts colection rating, each thought individually, and possibly in different occasions, and then obtaining an average.

My thoughts:
1 - The bottle is beautiful and efficient but without being stunning. It's a bit "retro" as it should be a Dior for "Homme" flask. 8/10
2 - It is a very good fragrance, well blended and with ingredients of recognizable quality. 9/10
3 - The DNA of this perfume reminds several others of Dior. Dior Homme Intense is a flanker of Dior Homme but shares DNA and market position with Dior Homme Parfum. Is Dior promoting in house competition? 6/10
4 - I'm not yet accustomed to the make-up scent DNA of this fragrance as I have never been a big fan of Iris. Perheps it will change over time. In the opening, besides lavender, there is also a strong lipstick aroma, too strong for me to accept this perfume to be a solely masculine one. Good thing! ... it reminds me of my wife's lips. 6/10
5 - Later, an amber and musk accord, also a little animalic and sweet, begins to grow and attenuates the lipstick smell ... I Like it better! 8/10
6 - Then the scent is directed to a drier aroma, balsamic and woody, maybe even a little rough. It leaves me indecisive ... I open a smile ... and for some time because this is the strongest scent till the end of the drydown. The most pleasant phase of the fragrance. 10/10
7 - It fixes moderately up to seven hours but with some effort. In several situations I had to use a decant to revive an unsuspected lack of spirits. 7/10
8 - Projects moderately ... does not draw much attention. It's not really unique as many other people use it as well. Will this be the sacrifice of an elegant perfume? 6/10
9 - The iris aroma (reminiscent of a makeup box and lipsticks) is the most striking note. It seems to me that it will please a more metrosexual approach that I do not have. Without prejudice!!! I do miss other notes like amber or frankincense. 4/10
10 - It's not an heavy pleaser, and it does not seem to attract a lot of compliments from women, as countless other fragrances do and with mastery. Men seem to like it better than women. 4/10
11 - I think there are several perfumes more to my liking than the DHI. In my case I should leave this perfume purchase to occur only when I don't have anything else to buy, or do it on a collection preassure, or even to be able to let other people know that I have Dior Homme Intense!
It should please more to collectors than to real and normal male perfume users! Well ... I collect perfumes, so...! 8/10
12 - I use this fragrance more to my personal satisfaction or collecting pleasure, than for other people to compliment me! If you like to use it ... I respect it! If you like to smell like iris ... ok. I accept it too! 8/10
13 - The DHI does not deserve all this hype! I heard and read a lot hype, which increased too much my expectations! In practice, when I use it ... I become a bit disappointed! Then I use another scent to feel better! 5/10
14 - It is collectible and indispensable for this purpose. 9/10
15 - When the evolution reaches the bottom notes and the drydown, it's really good! But it ends so quickly ... What a pity! 6/10
16 - It costed me more than perfume A and B together, and I kind of prefer to use either A or B, rather than DHI. 3/10

Average of my reflections: 6,13 / 10.00
Please bear in mind that this is a colection of thoughts I had during the last couple of months. It's not really a product review, and even less a rated one. The shown average reflects only random opinions of mine about this fragrance and does not pretend to represent a market opinion.

From my conclusions, you may choose 1 or 2:
A - Forget about collecting perfumes. You are spending a lot of money.
B - If you have my type of taste, you'd better invest in a Spicebomb Extreme, a Valentine Uomo Intense or Absolut, or even an Amouage Memoir Man! That is my honest and sincere personal opinion!

Keep your scent high!
AmberScent 4 years ago 5 1
There is a rich "Bourjois" in town
Great intense EDT and at an inexpensive price.
It opens quite fruity (apple? blackcurrant?).
Sweet spices and wood are detectable, probably tonka, honey, cinnamon and sandalwood. It's a bit dark and animalic, making me suspect of an heavy dose of musk as well.
The scent is quite pleasant all through its evolution, the longevity is above average, the sillage and projection are average.
Ratings:
scent: 9.0/10.0
performance: 8.0/10.0
presentation: 5.0/10.0
value for money: 10.0/10.0
In whar concerns the scent and the value for money this fragrance is a winner.

Just visit Notino and grab yourself a bottle of Bourjois Masculin 2 Gold Fever!
AmberScent 4 years ago 6 2
Amen... This little life of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...
Unquestionably A*Men is a fragrance industry landmark. Being a landmark does not guarantee success for all eternity.Tabu by Dana is another landmark but it's practically unwearable by today's standards. So one question may arise: How good is A*Men still?

The best basic way to define A*Men is to call it a gourmand perfume. Gourmands are a 21st century trend but 18 years already went by the gate of time since this perfume was released
If we look at recent perfumary, Paco Rabanne released 1 Million Privé and Lucky with a reasonable success. Pure XS and Invictus Intense did not gain high scores by the reviewers but are a sales success.
Carolina Herrera 212 VIP Black follows the steps of Pure XS, with low review ratings but with high sales.
Yves Saint Laurent, besides watering down La Nuit de l'Homme in every reformulation, launched a brand new perfume family with "Y". Yes, again a sweet fragrance with bad ratings and good sales.
Guerlain - my favourite designer - is busy marketing its latest men line of fragrances.... yes, it's L'Homme Ideal, another very sweet family indeed.
So it is an easy conclusion that, for the time being, a gourmand or sweet scent is very up to date in what market demand is concerned.
A*Men has a remarquable sequit of valuable flankers. Pure Havane, Pure Malt and Pure Tonka, to name just a few, are market successes and part of that success is related with being part of the A*Men team.Its A*Men DNA also reflects the appraisal that A*Man - the perfume - still earns both in terms of critics as well in terms of sales.

A*men opens with a timid accord of bergamot & lavender, and blended with spices.
Its development main strength remains in the heart with very strong caramel and patchouli creating the earthy & sweet backbone of the fragrance.This accord is emphasized by sweet honey, sweet & animalic jasmine and sweet lily-of-the-valley. A touch of cedar is needed for some manly austerity.
In the bottom, benzoin, vanilla and tonka add their share of sweetness but on tom of an styrax-ambery-musky-sandalwood balsamic-woody frame that will ensure the long and pleasant drydown with the remaining sweetness and a touch of aromatic coffee.
The reaction to this blending and development it's really positive. Nevertheless the A*Men scent may induce some polarity as there are keen detractors of it, but in small numbers.
Angel and A*Men are still the Thierry Mugler best sellers. They have an innovative aura, surprising positively the new users from a young generation. Longevity and sillage are way above average increasing the happiness of the younger ones that generally don't care for subtle or non performant fragrances.
A*Men was released ahead of its time, and probably it still is modern enough to outshine many of the newar perfumes. In 2018 Thierry Mugler tried to introduce the masculine version of Alien but apparently without much success or market noise.
As far as I am concerned I do have two backup 100ml bottles. If WW3 begins suddenly I will look for an atomic shelter carrying my bottles of A*Men.

Keep your scents high!

Music? Otis Redding - "Amen"
AmberScent 4 years ago 4 1
BOUCHERON JAIPUR HOMME FRAICHEUR EDT
Brand: Boucheron
Category: Eau de Toilette for Men, 100ml

Flask:
- It is inspired by the famous astronomical garden conceived by Maharaja Jaï Singh II. Its arched shape imposes itself with an intense harmony. The presentation is beautiful.

Juice:
- A spicy/woody/leathery fragrance as you would expect but way fresher than the other Jaipur, due to the citrus and pine needle notes. It's a bit sweet without being gourmand. f you love the regular Jaipur, you will love this as well.
The hidden trick is to find it. It is discontinued and there are some stock leftovers in many perfume shops. It is still inexpensive.
It has an above average perfomance for the type of fragrance.

Advice:
- For Jaipur lovers mainly, but also for Jaipur curious.
11 - 15 by 26