AnamandyAnamandy's Perfume Reviews

Filter & sort
11 - 15 by 54
The Ultimate Jasmine
This is my all-time favorite jasmine fragrance. This is Jasmine at its most potent and lush. It has none of the rubber tire, gasoline, super heavy indoles, or other negative attributes (looking at you Lush Lust), that some jasmine perfumes have. No, this smells as if they crammed big fat jasmine blossoms picked at their most sweet, potent, and ripe into this bottle. There is no doubt that this is loaded with pure Jasmine absolutes, as the quality is apparent, as is the mastery. Jean-Claude Ellena certainly outdid himself with this one. Every waft has me catching my breath and my eyes rolling back in my head in ecstasy, as I'm thinking, “Oh, God, this must be what heaven smells like” – with a little dash of hell to shake things up.

Though it starts out strong, within an hour goes down to a more discreet, though still very noticeable level that lasts until you wash it off. If you are a jasmine lover as I am, you have no idea what you are missing not to try this. It is hands down the best jasmine perfume I've ever smelled, and I've smelled quite a lot, including the holy grail Serge Luten's A La Nuit. To me, this is the Queen whose beauty is beyond compare.
An Intimate Smoky Rose
I have the eau de parfum and a parfum mini of this scent. The bottles are so pretty, and look great on my vanity, like little glass sculpture works of art. The cloth bow at the waist lets me imagine that this lady is dressed and ready for a night on the town with her significant other. As such, I find the bottle design fits the perfume as one will realize after smelling the scent.

This is a boozy Mandarin orange and amber-dipped smoky rose. I've heard others describe that boozy quality as that of the orange liquor Grand Mariner, and I would have to agree. The ambery Mandarin orange in this perfume bring that same quality to mind. But it is the frankincense that takes all those notes and turns what could just otherwise be a nice ambery rose into something special. It is so beautifully done and never overpowers the other notes or bring to mind anything churchy, as some perfumes with frankincense sometimes do. It gives this honey sweet, resinous mandarin rose a very mysterious, seductive quality. Every other element of the scent just adds to the complexity. From the subtle spiciness of the orange blossom to the satiny sandalwood, and the sexy, though not powdery, musk.

Silage is light, and it doesn't have a lot of projection, but I think it was meant to be that way. This is a more intimate scent that seems to be designed for you and those who get close to you. Not every fragrance has to be a big, room filling experience. Sometimes an intimate fragrance is more appropriate for certain situations. As such, the bottle design fits the fragrance. I imagine that this lady is set for an intimate tete a tete with her beloved and wants to wear a perfume only for him.

One thing I am very confused about here, and everywhere else. On Parfumo under the parfum, this fragrance is classified as a floral chypre, but for the eau de parfum, it is classified as a floral Oriental. The parfum and the edp are the same fragrance. The parfum is just a little more intense and long lasting. This fragrance has many elements of an Oriental but lacks many of the elements that would make it a chypre, floral or otherwise. So, I think the classification of floral chypre is wrong. This is a floral Oriental in both strengths.
A Trip Back in Time
A dreamy, powder-puff of a rose perfume. A chypre-like rose, with lots of soft violets, sweet mimosa, and powdery iris. Very pretty, and very romantic. In my mind's eye I can envision a beautiful peaches and cream Gibson girl in the 1890s wearing something like this. It definitely has a vintage feel. So, if you love vintages as much as I do, you may enjoy this. One major flaw for me is that the reformulated edt I have a sample of has terrible performance issues. Starts out strong, but within two hours is almost a skin scent. That might not be an issue for you if you love the scent and are willing to reapply several times a day, but it is an issue for me. Though I love the scent and would love to add a full bottle to my collection, I cannot justify a purchase at the prices being asked because of that. I'd run through a bottle in no time. Dang, these damn reformulations!
Anamandy 7 months ago 1
A Sweet Warm Floral
I smelled this on a woman as I was out and about shopping one day. I was actually surprised when she told me that it was a flanker of Pleasures. I would have never guessed in a million years as it didn't smell anything like the original fragrance or even bring it to mind. While Pleasures is a cold green floral that's almost aquatic on me, this is a full-on floral, that's so different it really should have been its own perfume instead of a flanker.
Though heavily floral, it is not dense or overwhelming thanks to the benzoin in the base, which gives fluffy weightlessness to this scent. The styrax and maple leaf adds earthy, woody undertones, buoyed with creamy smoothness by the barest trace of vanilla. There's a freshness to this scent thanks to the black currant, that doesn't add excessive fruitiness, but just a little sweetness, roundness, and lift to the florals. While the original fragrance is an ice queen, this is the total opposite. There is something very warm here, an ambery quality, that adds a lot of richness and depth. Possibly the benzoin or a combination of notes. Whatever it is contributes to the overall effect as if you are smelling a flower garden in full bloom at their most potent, lush, and sweet on a warm, sunny, spring day. It really is a showstopper.
Anamandy 7 months ago 3
Sex in a Bottle
Boy, this is so animalic. Dirty, dirty, dirty. Lovers of animalic scents will adore this perfume because that is what hit me on first spray. It does lighten up as the fragrance progresses, but it is always there right below the surface.

I have a vintage curvy bottle from Revlon with a gold image of an almost naked man and woman on the front of the bottle seated facing each other entwined in an embrace. SEX is what the image implies. Civet, animalic musk, castoreum, and indolic jasmine enforce that image. Intimate is just a nicer way to describe it.

Speaking of the bottle, just from looking at that alone, it's clear this was made in an age when even drugstore buys could exude some semblance of sophistication. (Word of warning about the sprayer though, it shoots out like a fire hose.) It's also clear the juice was made with better quality ingredients than many perfumes today.

The sandalwood is real here, not that synthetic stuff used nowadays in too many perfumes. It's a nice woody sandalwood too, beautifully blended in a resinous elixir of powdery rose, creamy gardenia, dirty jasmine and musk, highlighted with a light dusting of spice and a dose of civet. All is anchored on a bed of oakmoss and amber. Though classified a chypre, it comes across as an oriental to me, in the same way Dioresscence (classified by many as a chypre, but as an oriental on Dior's site) does. That spicy resinous texture gives that impression. This fragrance also reminds me of Tabu, but whereas that fragrance is syrupy, heavy, and I find oppressive, this is lighter, more polished, and refined. Tabu also lacks the sexy animal elements so prominent here. I'm not saying they aren't in Tabu, just that I cannot smell them in the same way I can here – front and center! Intimate seems to be nearer to what the creator of Tabu, (if stories are to be believed), thought (knew?) how a lady of the evening smelled. But in this case, she'd be a high-priced call girl who plays the stock market by day.

Would I wear this fragrance outdoors? Not on your life. I'd be afraid I'd be followed by wolves, both the two-legged and four-legged kind. Still, it was fun to experience this little time capsule in history and to marvel at how daring and glamorous women used to be.
11 - 15 by 54