AnamandyAnamandy's Perfume Reviews

Filter & sort
16 - 20 by 54
Anamandy 7 months ago 2
An Unusual Powdery Perfume
This is a different twist on what could otherwise be just another powdery scent. It's ambery, musky, leathery, and to a much lesser degree, floral. From first spray, with that bergamot leather hit, to the powdery, labdanum, musky dry down, and the soft floral heart in between, is just perfect to me. It's the leather, labdanum, and musky notes that really ropes me in and turns what could be just an otherwise innocent scent into something both intriguing and sultry. I find the composition as a whole a very tactile and sensuous experience that's an absolute delight to wear.
Anamandy 7 months ago 1
An Excellent Cold Weather Scent
This is such a great fragrance for cold weather wear. If you like spicy Orientals, this is a must try because it is hands down one of the best iterations of the genre. Spicy, bitter, sweet, resinous, dry, floral, herbal, woody, and warm. It has it all and is all wonderfully done.
The performance is beast mode in the best sense. One spray is all you need with this baby to be wrapped all day in its lovely embrace. While it shares many similarities with Obsession, especially vintage Obsession, the vanilla is much more toned down and the scent overall is drier and not as sweet. For me I think it is different enough from Obsession where it is worth having both.
While I know what I purchased 2 years ago is not the original formula, I don't feel I am missing anything because it smells great to me as it is now. Best yet, despite the doubling in price since that time, it is still very reasonably priced today.
I think if you like this type of perfume it would be a safe blind buy. I'm sure you would get as much enjoyment from this wonderful scent as I do.
Anamandy 7 months ago
If Only the Top Notes Lasted Longer
There is no doubt this is a Shalimar, unlike some of the other flankers. This is truer to the original scent, and all its original flankers, than any of the later editions. That said, while there is a lot to love here, I ultimately found it disappointing. The Lavender opening comes and goes in a flash. If you blink, it is gone. That note is soon overtaken by a very rooty iris that slowly evolves into a soft, powdery iris, that then disappears giving way to the exact scent of Shalimar Eau de Cologne, of bergamot, leather, vanilla, amber, and the famous Guerlain spices. That's it. That's all I got here.

I am so disappointed with this one. I was thrilled when I smelled the Lavender with the bergamot on opening as it reminded me of Jicky. Then the iris came in, making me think of Shalimar Initial L'Eau, and I was in heaven. I thought it would give me the best of my two favorite fragrances and it would stay that way for longer than it did. Alas, it did not. Those notes were overtaken by the notes of Shalimar EDC within a matter of minutes, and it stayed that way throughout the rest of the fragrance. Since Shalimar Eau de Cologne is my favorite version, I know that scent like the back of my hand. And the dry down of this fragrance is exactly that. Zero difference to me at all.

So, in the future, if I want a Guerlain with Lavender I'll just stick with Jicky; and if I want a Shalimar with Iris, I'll just stick to Shalimar Initial L'Eau. Since I already have both fragrances, and Shalimar Eau de Cologne, this is redundant and unnecessary for me.
Anamandy 7 months ago 1
An Elegant Floral Chypre
How did mere mortal men make such heavenly creations? As soon as I unsealed the bottle of parfum and applied a drop, I was entranced. This is one of the most beautiful floral chypres I have ever smelled. This may seem strange, but for some reason the first thing I thought of on smelling this was original Miss Dior. But while they share a lot of the same notes, and both are floral chyres, Miss Dior is more lighthearted and youthful. Crepe de Chine is Miss Dior's darker, deeper, and more worldly older sister. She also predates Miss Dior by over 25 years. I'm sure this scent had some influence over the composition of Miss Dior, just as I'm sure Coty's Chypre did. Maybe it's just because it is a chypre, and all chypres resemble each other to a degree. Or maybe Dior wanted to challenge one of the reigning fragrances of the day. Whatever the case, I think lovers of Miss Dior should try this. They might love this scent just as much as I do.

I find this to be a sublime, exquisitely crafted creation. It was wildly popular in its day, and it is no wonder. It is soft, warm, earthy, sensuous, mysterious, deep, mossy, herbal, green, with a lovely floral heart and a light terpenic spiciness. It is all so beautifully blended, creating a classy, subtle, and elegant vibe.

Prior to buying this scent, I did a little research. While researching I came across a lot of advertising material for this perfume. The advertisements certainly give me an image of the type of woman Millot seemed to be targeting. Smart, sharp, sexy, polished, and witty. Some of the ads were so entertaining I thought I'd share them here. One of the ads showed a half-empty bottle of perfume with the tagline, “By this time you should have quite a past.” Another read, “A dab or two can't last forever. Not when it's constantly circulating your message.” There were others cited, and all just as amusing. Seeing them, I wish I had a time machine so I could travel back to see the beautifully coiffed, exquisitely tailored, very stylish, svelte ladies who wore this scent. If the advertising is any indication, they must have been a sight to behold.

Overall, I am so happy with this lovely scent that I now own not only 2 bottles of the parfum, but also a sealed (though now opened and used) big bottle of the Eau de Crepe de Chine. It's just as wonderful, but lighter and a little different in composition, and also, a little more similar to Miss Dior. It's as bright and crisp as the spring green color of its perfume. It even feels like spring! And I love it just as much.
Anamandy 7 months ago 2
A Fun Fruity Floral
It is as if this brand took all the florals they sell, (gardenia, plumeria, pikake), and mixed it with their pineapple fragrance. I am also picking up mango, guava, and a little banana too, but no coconut. Crazy as this all sounds, it actually smells really good. I've smelled all the Escada summer scents, and while they are in the same vein and smell nice too, I like this more. It is not as youthful, or as sweet, despite the fun profile. I think this will smell great on a hot summer day.

Edit- It just occurred to me that since this website is outside of the United States, some members here might not know anything about this brand. Forever Florals is a perfumery in Hawaii, US, that makes soliflore flower scents indigenous to that island chain. They are primarily sold in gift shops throughout the islands which most people buy as souvenirs to bring back home. In addition to perfumes, they also make other beauty products too. Their soliflore perfumes smell remarkably like the flowers they are copying, and work beautifully on their own or blended within the brand or with other fragrances. They are also extremely inexpensive. Personally, I think some of them smell better than many other more expensive soliflore type perfumes.
16 - 20 by 54