AwesomenessAwesomeness' Perfume Reviews

21 - 30 of 247

06/05/2013
4 Awards
L'Eau de Chloé (2012) is an odd little fragrance. It opens bright and sunny with notes of citrus, then it transitions to a subtle rosewater. The patchouli is there, but it's dry not wet, green not brown, neutral not sweet, and subtle not demanding. At drydown, this fragrance becomes a green, soapy aldehyde on me. It feels like a throwback to the 1970s, and it has much more in common with Y by Yves Saint Laurent than it does with Chloe, original or new.

L'Eau de Chloé is a mature fragrance. Oh, how I hate using that word but it's appropriate. I imagine that the target market might like this at the perfume counter, buy it, then despise it after a longer wear. It is getting a lot of mixed reviews, and that's one guess as to why: The fragrance when wet is completely different from the fragrance when dry. The fragrance when wet is a good quality lemon-rose cologne from Demeter. The fragrance when dry is a vintage find from the charity shop.

Perhaps I should say that L'Eau de Chloé is a fragrance for an experienced sniffer, in particular someone who appreciates classic fragrances but tends to wear contemporary ones. I put myself in that camp. I can't wear Y and I struggle to wear Chanel 19 (new or vintage), but I _can_ imagine myself wearing L'Eau de Chloé. It's a contemporary take on a green, soapy aldehyde.

Anyone who likes classic fragrances, or at least appreciates them, might want to sample L'Eau de Chloé. I purchased a mini for a song on the bay. I like it, really like it, but I need a bit of wear before I decide whether it's full-bottle worthy.

06/04/2013
2 Awards
A few years ago, I owned a bottle of Petite Cherie. I loved its transparent nature, its green freshness, the succulent pear, and understated florals. Unfortunately Petite Cherie was a bit too juvenile & thin for me, so I swapped it because I wasn't wearing it. I've since regretted that decision and wished I kept it, not to wear it but to sniff it on occasion and enjoy its playful, uplifting nature. Since then, I have been looking for a fragrance to replace Petite Cherie. Finally, I found it - Le Mimosa, which is Petite Cherie all grown up.

First off, let's face it: Le Mimosa is a fruity floral. There I said it. If that category is on your "I'll wear a fruity floral over my dead body" list, then move along because there is nothing to see here. If you don't harbor disdain for the concept, perhaps even wore fruity florals 10 or 20 years ago, then Le Mimosa might be worthy of sampling ... and reading on.

Like many AG femmes, Le Mimosa is transparent and has AG's signature accord. I think that characteristic of the AG femmes is soothing and soft, yet distinctive. It was something I craved after I let go of my Petite Cherie bottle, and I love that about Le Mimosa. The green is not as bright & long-lived as Petite Cherie. Le Mimosa is not as thin as Petite Cherie, and it's more balanced, with clean musk in the base, a hint of woodiness, and a touch of naughty. Compared to Petite Cherie, the fruit (peach) is more present, more persistent and more impressive, so much so that Le Mimosa could have been named La Pêche. As others have stated, Le Mimosa is not a soliflore mimosa. Rather, it's an AG impression or interpretation of mimosa, which apparently is peach-tinged.

Le Mimosa is an appropriate fragrance for summer & spring, and I struggle to think of anyone who would be offended by it. That's another way to say it's office-appropriate. It also would be appropriate to wear to warm-weather gatherings like weddings or family picnics. It's an understated & effortless fragrance that exudes niceness yet remains memorable.

Like many femme EDTs in the AG line-up, Le Mimosa is close-wearing and is short on longevity. But I forgive it - it's not that type of fragrance. I'd love to have Le Mimosa in body products, such as a body powder, so I could envelop myself in the scent without over-spraying.

I think Le Mimosa would most appeal to those who like transparent peach and pear scents such as AG Petite Cherie, Fresh Sake, and Keiko Mecheri Peau de Peche.

06/04/2013
5 Awards
I owned Omnia before I knew anything about gourmand fragrances. The reason I bought it? Quite simply, I liked it. When the SAs at Sephora encouraged me to try Aquolina Pink Sugar, I recoiled on first sniff but I also was intrigued by the sweetness, which was unlike any perfume that I had worn before. So I did my own research, and I ended up with Bvlgari Omnia ... and Escada Magnetism. I've since emptied a bottle of each, and I replaced the Omnia, not the Magnetism.

Omnia's chocolate, coffee, almond, spices, and vanilla are all very well blended. It's sweet, but it's not Pink Sugar. It is a spiced fragrance, but more like a well-mannered chai with almond milk than a classic oriental. A smooth white chocolate is there but it doesn't dominate. This is a gourmand for adults who prefer local coffee & tea houses to Starbucks but also aren't pretentious or cliquish in their patronage. It's a unique, accessible ragrance that could also be worn by men.

Although I have added many gourmands to my collection since those first 2 bottles, when I want a gourmand and I don't know which one, I reach for Omnia. I love Omnia, and it loves me back. Thank you, Alberto Morillas.

06/03/2013
2 Awards
Banana Republic W (BRW) is a very pleasant, light, slightly powdery, white floral with a green cast. I don't get bug spray on top, as others have reported. However, I do get about 5 minutes of urine, yes urine. It passes, and after that BRW is a fresh & citrusy office-appropriate everyday fragrance.

I like my florals bold or light, and BWR fits the latter group. Unfortunately, there's a white floral that's just a tad irritating to me when I wear it on my skin. Maybe Honeysuckle or Lily of Valley, or the combination of both? I don't get the same irritation when BRW is applied to a card. Amazing longevity on a card, btw - nearly a week later, still there - clear, bright, & clean.

BRW is something that seems like it might be most appropriate for warmer weather, like late Spring or early Summer. However, BRW could be a go-to floral fragrance in the winter. It has enough green pep to brighten gray skies but enough depth to withstand cooler temps.

It's odd but BRW somehow reminds me of Alliage/Aliage, only a lighter, more floral version. I think Alliage is best in Summer and BRW is best in Winter, but you have to have the right chemistry to pull both off.

06/03/2013
3 Awards
Cuir Pleine Fleur, or Full Grain Leather, opens nicely, and a soft leather is evident on top. Then it changes, quite dramatically, into something fetid.

My first thought: Bird cage, needs cleaning.
My second: City zoo, elephant pen.
My third: State fair, pig barn.
My fourth: Open, untreated animal wound.

The birch is beautiful - the best I've yet experienced - and the earthy, woody dry down is very wearable for me. But the farm experience ... it borders on repulsive and it's a little much.

Thank you @CatBiscuit for endowing me with a sample of this beauty. I'll use it on one fine day to piss off my co-workers, or I'll wear it in Vegas to make my way through a crowd. Either way, it'll go to good use. ;)

Aug
2010

06/02/2013
4 Awards
QUESTION:
How do you know when you have found THE ONE? That scent that could be yours and yours alone. Your signature.

ANSWER:
You can not stop muttering OMG, OMG, OMG for 15 minutes. When you attempt to describe the fragrance, you once again mutter OMG. When you type, you type OMG, OMG, OMG. That's when you know.

REVIEW for ET PEONY & ROSE:
OMG, OMG, OMG. This is my experience, not with ET Ellen Tracy, but with Peony & Rose the first time I sniffed. I think it helped that I had been consuming adult beverages at the time, but this scent opened me up to trying rose scents, which this former floral-phob now owns many of. However, one fragrance I no longer own is Peony & Rose. It was just too synthetic when I was sober, which actually is most of the time. ;)

06/01/2013
5 Awards
On paper, Coney Island should be right up my alley -- fruity-citrus top, cinnamon gourmand middle, sandalwood & vanilla base. Unfortunately, I get a 2-hour wear of some citrusy fruit concoction. To me, this phase of the scent seems more like a B&BW wallflower experiment gone awry than the listed fruit & margarita. Then POOF!, the top is gone, leaving a vague, sweet & woody aftershave that could be worn by someone like Situation Mike.

Was that the margarita, guava and melon that I smelled on top? Because, we all know that Coney Island is associated with tropical fruit drinks, right? (*snark*) The sweet cinnamon gourmand middle? It's not there. How about musk, sandalwood & vanilla? Not detectable to my nose, unless it's those faint base notes, which are definitely on the masculine side of the spectrum. For some reason, this aspect of Coney Island reminds me of Gaultier^2, and not surprisingly I dislike the aftershave that is Gaultier^2 even more than I dislike Coney Island.

Although Coney Island seems to have quality ingredients, the scent is neither compelling nor attractive, although it is interesting & unique, I'll give it that. Quality alone cannot justify a purchase at this price, particularly when the scent experience doesn't match my impression of the place. If anything, the scent experience might be like being inserted into an episode of MTV's Jersey Shore. Perhaps that is the point.

For the last 6 months, Coney Island NIB has been available at about 50% off Bond retail at a major beauty etailer. However, Coney Island is not one to blind buy ... at any price.

* tested manufacturer sample

1 Awards
On me, Bijan Nude is nude. The first spray is a bit of a fright. After that, it's not only a second skin on me, it's my skin. It's an enigma. I really like it but I still can't wrap my head around it. Nude is nude.

5 Awards
I wore SUNFLOWERS "back in the day," when we were all HAPPY and jumping into COOL WATER for the simple PLEASURES of it all. I even had the matching Kenneth Jay Lane CZ SUNFLOWER necklace!

SUNFLOWERS stands out to me among the 1990s mass-market fragrances. It was one of the strongest, sweetest, and most floral compositions of the time, and not a single sunflower or rancid seed was mamed to produce it. It was all about the impression of a happy, sunny sunflower-like place than about sunflowers themselves. I mean, look at those notes!

In my attempt to buck the trend of heavy orientals and sweet gourmands in cooler months, one of the perfumes I put in rotation for Winter was SUNFLOWERS. It smells as I remember it, and it's immediately recognizable. Quite frankly, white florals and I are not the best of friends, and a light hand and cool weather help considerably. Regardless, in the depths of winter, I now have a BRIGHT, CHEERY, and SUNNY scent, which is the best way to describe Sunflowers.

2 Awards
Sampled this today. A surprise from Usher & nicely done. It's one of those scents that you can imagine wearing while your loved one nuzzles your neck. Lightly sweet & nice lasting power, but this fruity floral is not terribly unique in today's market.

Although I enjoy the notes, there's something about it that is excessive, too strong, perhaps cloying. The scent occasionally travels to the back of my throat and lingers, aggravating allergies. Oh, boy. I'm not terribly sensitive. I appreciate this fume, but clearly it's not for me. Likely the white florals.

Anyone sensitive to some fragrances should try before your buy - or maybe even steer clear entirely. It's completely unwearable for me. Pity too - it's starts off so nicely.

21 - 30 of 247