AwesomenessAwesomeness' Perfume Reviews

31 - 40 of 247

5 Awards
Overly sweet and very common, imo. I love pear, but not this - The pear smells like it was drenched in corn syrup & canned, sold at the Dollar Store, and opened after 3 shelf years.

Utterly wretched and completely unsuitable for anyone over 25 years.

3 Awards
Calyx sure is PURDY. Feminine, quite sweet, a bit fruity and slightly green. I barely catch the rose in the heart. Very long lasting and quite a journey from top to bottom.

Calyx is another Sophia Grojsman that I have trouble wearing. If it wasn't for the white florals that dominate the composition, I might just be all over this one. I wear a lot of fruity florals and floral greens, but this ain't gonna be one of them.

A huge No-No for me. Sure wish I knew what was the irritant in these Sophia Grojsman that I can't wear. There's lots of them. :(

Top - apricot, passionfruit, mint, mandarin orange, cassia, peach, mango, bergamot
Heart - cyclamen, lily, melon, freesia, orris root, jasmine, neroli, marigold, lily-of-the-valley, rose
Base - musk, oakmoss, raspberry, cedar

2 Awards
Grand Amour is a grand perfume in classic style. I've only owned a couple Goutals but they all had a tell-tale consistency to them - they are clear, for lack of a better term, no matter what they are. This one is clear as well, but it also is a bit indolic.

Grand Amour is a grown up Petite Cherie! Hyacinth & honeysuckle blooming right next to fresh dog poo. Better as it dries but I can't get past the indolic elements of this perfume.

I do like Grand Amour for what it is, but it is not something that I would choose to wear.

6 Awards
Tea Rose is a perfect rose -- a pretty, itty-bitty, teeny-tiny rose from a pink tea rose bush with green leave and soft green stems.

All the raving reviews are well deserved. However, I've tried & tried to love this scent. I don't. Moreover, layering has only produced scrubbers and wasted sprays from much more expensive perfumes.

While I appreciate tea rose bushes, the bottom-line is that I don't want to walk around smelling like one.

2 Awards
Pleasures Delight = 1 part Escada Moon Sparkle + 1 part Mariah Carey M + 2 parts Angel.

Very BTDT sugary vanilla-patch flanker in the Pleasures line-up. $74 for 100ml? Way over-priced for a nothing special, nothing unique, very ordinary scent.

Pleasures Delight hurts my teeth and makes my DH gag. It's that sweet. Run the other way.

3 Awards
I *finally* laid my hands on a sample vial of SMS after resisting a blind buy for the last few months. Boy am I glad I resisted. This floral is definitely not for me.

On me, the opening is very synthetic. At first, the aldehydes reek havoc, then the jasmine gets cloying. A fruit-floral-woods progression is absent. I faintly smell a powdery wonderfulness and occasionally get visions of dancing daffodils, but it's not enough for me to give SMS another chance, even if it smells great on paper.

I just don't have the chemistry required for Sophia Grojsman's blends. If you're like that too, you might just save yourself some trouble and cross SMS off your test list.

3 Awards
There is something about the white florals in many of the CKs that just doesn't agree with me. Sadly, Truth is another in a long line of CK fragrances that I like but can't wear. This time, it's the lily which is amplified on my skin, becoming cloying, sweet, & headache-y.

Otherwise, Truth is a superb scent & very under-rated, imo. On the one hand, it's a bright green floral; on the other, it's a deep woody oriental. Complex & interesting, I think Truth would be fabulous as an office scent in the winter. It's not for those who like sugar & cupcakes. Rather, Truth is for those who like classic scents but want something more modern & up-to-date, even a bit atypical and off-center yet not jarring and demanding. That's Truth, even if it is a pretentious name.

7 Awards
Parfum Sacre is a sacred perfume? Not the new version! Parfum Sacre is profane, plain & simple. I've tried the Parfum Sacre in the purple box & the purple cylindrical bottle (30 ml) that everyone is in such a fuss about. Let me just say that the new Parfum Sacre is SKANK-O-LIOUS. Not quite Boudior, Tabu, and Agent territory, but it's close enough. The new Parfum Sacre is a dirty, dark, dusty rose perfume designed for today's market.

Definitely opens with something animalistic, a purring kitty, perhaps? A tad soapy, a tad powdery. An old dusty & dried rose that's appropriate for the bedroom, reminding me of lipstick, grandma's dusting powder, and a sachet kept in my undies' drawer. Something really deep & dark like incense. Plus, there are some barely-there spices thrown in on top to remind you it's really an oriental with a history. Regardless, Parfum Sacre is a naughty scent.

Is an accident that the word Sacre is considered a French-Canadian profanity? I don't think so. If name of the new formulation of Parfum Sacre is in fact a double-entendre, then Caron has succeeded. :))

10/10/2012
2 Awards
There is no orient in Orient Extreme. It's an oakmoss chypre in a classic style. By today's standards, it can easily be worn by a guy, but it also could be a fragrance of the 1970s or earlier - you know, the era when chypres were chypres.

Unfortunately, chypres aren't for me as I am one of those people who is sensitive to oakmoss. If you are looking for the real stuff, you have found it. Oakmoss. Just not for me.

09/29/2012
6 Awards
I had an opportunity to blind-buy a full-bottle of Chinatown at an insanely low price. I am glad that sanity intervened and I purchased a sample instead. Reviews are generally favorable for this fragrance yet all over the board, and now I understand why. Simply, Chinatown is distinctive yet unique.

My take is that Chinatown is Hermes 24 Fauborg meets Tauer Eau D'Epices. I like the impression of this scent, and the quality is definitely there. It has a modern vibe to it, and I'm not quite sure whether it's a floriental or a floral chypre. However, you really must like, enjoy and appreciate the near sickly sweet searing of the white floral heart - gardenia, orange blossom, tuberose. Hermes 24 Fauborg takes me to the cliff but doesn't go over, but Chinatown starts to make the descent. What lends Chinatown its sweetness is the florals, not the base. Personally, I prefer the latter, not the former.

My skin amps up white florals, so that's the dominant character of Chinatown when I wear it. However, white florals are on my "dislike alot" list. I appreciate the fragrance and the quality, but I'm never even gonna use up this sample.

31 - 40 of 247