BigslyBigsly's Perfume Reviews

1 - 10 of 20

07/20/2019
2 Awards
I think that was the idea with this one, and depending upon how "natural" and how strong you think a scent of this type should be, you will either like it or not (assuming you are being fair to a "budget brand"). The citrus here quickly gets overwhelmed by the other notes and it's quite interesting/niche-like, but definitely not too far out there (for those who want something really avant garde). Quite a few sprays were needed to get this scent to "bloom," so I wouldn't spend too much on it, and don't expect great depth, but that's to be expected. If you enjoy Encre Noir type scents, this is one you might want to sample (though Independent isn't as "chemical").

05/16/2019
1 Awards
This could be marketed by a nouveau niche company as a unisex, gourmand, tobbaco scent, though it's natural smelling, which seems to be something much of today's niche is moving away from (so perhaps niche of a decade ago). It has little to do with the original Royal Secret (I have only tried vintage EdC of that one - it's an "old school" oriental that some describe as having things like a cat urine note, which I can understand but chalk it up to an "undeveloped nose" not understanding what he/she is smelling). On the plus side, I was able to get a new, 100 ml bottle of EdRS for about $4, and this sort of thing has happened before. I guess most people aren't going to do as much research as I am and they tend to get caught up with "hype fragrances." But if you see this one around to be tested and you like gourmand/tobacco scents, I think you will want to sample it!

05/11/2019
This is from a web site that once sold it:

"Top notes: lemon, lavender, sage and juniper
Heart notes: bitter orange, mint and hay
Footnote: fern, rose and sandalwood cyst

The Contadour is a plateau in Provence. The fragrance is about a walk on the mountain: it starts early in the morning, the dew is still on the grass. When you increase the sun begins to warm the surrounding area, and arrived at the summit of nature unfold their full splendor."

I don't get a whole lot of the lavender and/or "fern," and the wood and rose are quite mild. Very nice but also almost impossible to find these days.

02/25/2019
I get mostly an aquatic scent, with just a hint of the othe notes. There is a sea-like element with some dihydromyrcenol (such as in Cool Water for Men), and it lasts well. Projection is moderate. It's not juvenile but it doesn't have depth, naturalnesss, nor complexity, so if you are thinking this could be a "vintage great" I think you'll be disappointed. It is definitely competitive against recent designers that cost a lot more, IMO.

12/30/2018
I have vintage EdT but I recently acquired a newer EdP (tall bottle with bow and black plastic cap, but not the octogonal shape one). It begins in a way that's similar to vintage Knize Ten, actually, but then goes in more of a chypre than oriental direction. Still, this smells great and certainly unisex, IMO. The leatheriness is always present and the other notes do an excellent job providing contrast and balance. An incredible bargain for those who like these old school leather scents, better than most niche I've sampled recently, that's for sure (and the cost was less than $10 total for 100 ml). Note that when coconut is listed, for some reason what's meant is castoreum. I smell that here, but not coconut.

04/15/2018
1 Awards
I think of this one as the "mature" or even "rouge" version of GIT, as it has the lime element up front and then an "earthier" base, with patchouli, leather, etc., so don't think of this as the kind of "clone" that has become so common over the last few years. The note list for it is:

Top notes: Mexican Lime, Mediterranean Lemon, Siberia fire needle, shaved nutmeg.

Middle notes: Jasmine, sandalwood, Indonesian Patchouli.

Base notes: Bourbon Vanilla, creamy amber, and impressions of leather.

04/13/2018
However, the notes are quite a bit different. In any case, since I haven't tried the Bvlgari, what I can say is that this is a unique scent, in my experience. It's soft and I'd call it unisex; it also doesn't go too far in any direction, such as being too sweet. There's no fougere accord/lavender and I don't get any "laundry musk." But I also don't get much note clarity and it's not especially strong, though not weak to the point of it being disqualifying (I did only use one spray). I just did a dab sampling so I'll have to update when I give it a regular wearing, but if you can get it cheap and you like these kinds of scents I doubt you'd be disappointed.

11/30/2017
3 Awards
Sort of somewhere between vintage Zino, Borneo 1843, and Armani's Attitude, so that should give you an idea of this one, with "good quality ingredients," especially at this price level. If you have your Zino and like your Zino you can keep your ZIno, but this one is simpler and has a bit of a gourmand quality to it.

11/24/2017
3 Awards
I can see some people calling this generic, but so what - if you like it that's what matters! It's got similarities to some scents I already own, even though I rarely wear this kind of scent. There's a strong "chemical wood," as I call it, mostly a sandalwood idea. This reminds me of "vintage" Born Wild for Men, though the wood note is even stronger in that one. What Born Wild does not have is the salty quality, and there's no mint in the top notes either (which seems to only last minutes in Viking anyway). Also, there are indistinct fruit, spice, and floral notes (I got a touch of sharpness, which I guess was the pepper). The next day I smelled it on the clothing I wore the previous day and it reminded me of In New York by VC&A, but I find INY to have a livelier composition. Viking has some sweetness, musk, spice, etc. to it, but the wood note is the star of the show, though that might be due to my sensitivity to those aroma chemicals. I think if I layered BWM with Red Sea by Micallef I'd get something similar to VIking, but I don't understand the claims that Viking is similar to Caron's L'Anarchiste, or that it has a strong cinnamon (or clove) element, or that it has an obvious barbershop/fougere quality. I certainly wouldn't call it a bad scent (at first I thought it was a unisex niche scent of a somewhat "chemical" quality because I sampled it blind), and it does come together nicely after a while (when I do get a touch of Pasha, as some have said), but it's just not the kind of scent I prefer to wear the overwhelming majority of the time (gourmands, orientals, leathers, tobacco, even "ouds" are my favorites), and it's not any kind of "far out" creation like one might get from Smell Bent. If it was in a bottle by Dior or Chanel, selling for $75 or so, I'd say just sample first and only buy it if you really like it, assuming you've got a lot of experience with fragrances. If you don't have much experience, you can buy a fragrance like In New York and get something that roughly does the same thing, and you'll also probably "smell unique" because that one doesn't seem to have caught on.

11/05/2017
2 Awards
There's a cherry-ish quality and it's not too sweet, nor ambery, nor vanillic. It's linear and thoroughly blended, so you might not be able to detect more than a few notes. The wood is just slight background texture, at best. However, this smells natural and is pleasant, so while it likely won't interest the niche crowd, it can be used for layering purposes, which is how I intend to use it for a while (with scents that are too weak especially). Overall, considering the really low prices, I'm very glad to have 100 ml of it!

1 - 10 of 20