Carlitos01Carlitos01's Perfume Reviews

1 - 10 of 236

10/08/2019
6 Awards
As per my "private investigations" (my nose and a couple of arabic web sites) this fragrance notes go as follows:
Top notes: Lime, Saffran, Musk (or Angelica)
Middle notes: Jasmine, White Flowers, Praline, Musk
Base Notes: Woody Notes (Cashmere, Cedar, Sandalwood & Oud in my opinion), Vanilla, Fir Resin, Cedar Resin, Amber, Musk

It's a true oriental perfume, worthy of being used in any Arabian Nights tale and why not in Scheherazade closet itself. Looking at the fragrance notes it's easy to understand why the name "Opulent" has been chosen.
Musk is the dominant note making its appearance from the first whiff till the end of the (long) drydown.
The top is eased up by saffron and florals. The top musk note is light and easy, so probably the effect is produced through the use of a floral note like angelica. It's really with the bottom notes that the perfume reveals itself. We get an heavy load of wood, wood resins, amber as well the earthy and woody musk.
There is no evident borderline between top and bottom. Due to the lighter notes I kind of preffer the opening to the drydown. But don't get me wrong... it's a fantastic drydown.
You must go easy on the trigger as this juice is truly powerful. I may describe it as dark, smoky, woody, smooth, resinous, sweet and spicy.
The performance is quite high but what puzzles me the most is the fact that it really projects between three and four hours depending on the amount of initial sprays.

How opulent will be my ratings?
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Scent Opening:.........9,5 (close to perfection)
Scent Drydown:........9.0 (fantastic)
Longevity:..................9.0 (more than 9 hours in my skin, with 3 sprays)
Sillage:........................9.0 (8~10 feet sillage with 3.5 hours projection)
Uniqueness:..............9.0 (quite unique, although evoquing some other Lattafa scents)
Wearability:...............6.0 (Winter and Fall nights, and not much else)
Versatility:.................8.0 (go easy on the trigger and you will be surprised by its versatility)
Compliments:...........8.0 (more a self pleaser than an attention grabber but catching the attention of all oud lovers)
Quality:......................9.0 (above average quality ingredients)
Presentation:............7.0 (a bit tacky)
Price:..........................10.0 (€15,00 / 100 Ml - a bargain in an islamic shop sale)
Overall rating: 8,50/10.0
bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Opinion: One of the best exquisite scents of my collection and I like it very much. An oriental gem.
Recommended? Yes, but only if you like the scent of strong smoky woods and musk.

Music: "Spartacus" from Aram Khachaturian

10/07/2019
[short review]
Orange Totem is a Kenzo "ZESTY" approach to what should be an ultra-fresh scent with a Hermes vibe somewhere between Terre and Jardin en Mediterranée.
It opens very strong with bitter orange (and mango, and peach, and fig, and gum...) followed by vetiver. And then ... slowly the orange disappears and the vetiver doesn't stay much longer either. A short, mild drydown is left with some wood and residual vetiver.
Advisable only for those who don't care about fast use perfumes. But for those who like a good blending of bitter orange and vetiver, the first half hour is great and attracts a lot of attention.
Helas the flask is somewhat strange to say the least.

09/08/2019
6 Awards
[short review]
By today's evening, my Neroli EDT had long disappeared. As I passed by Séphora, I saw Gaultier's "Le Beau", also known localkly as "Adam of the Leaf", showing me its attributes on the store's main window display. "Why not? I don't need to die stupid!" ... and I passed to the action. I set the shopping bags on the floor, and quickly - just as not to be informatively assaulted by the dolls in uniform patrolling behind and in front of the counters - sprayed my first three "Le Beau" whiffs on my arm to sniff and wonder about it along the mall corridors. "At least the bottle is pretty enough, so let's try the juice" thought I ...
Fifty meters and two reflective thoughts down the corridor, while seeing Zara's entrance at a distance, I gave the third deep and final sniff on my arm. I couldn't help but mutter between my theeth, "I should have died stupid after all !!!" I am the sort of person that cannot stand an ultra synthetic coconut note, not even in a shower gel. What a generic syrup!!! It does have a strong vibe of some Axe scents, that cost 10x less.
The problem was easy to solve. I went into the toilet, washed the scenting arm only twice because the fragrance, was easy to wash even if recently applied, and went into the Zara store to compensate my guinea pig upper limb with 3 sprays of #Tobacco Collection - Rich / Warm / Addictive. This one is inexpensive as all Zara fragrances. It's what I like to call a poor but an honest scent. And I left Zara happy as a child, thinking that I smelled a bit like Pegasus from Parfums de Marly.

PS - Forgive me the supporters of JPG perfumes. I am one of those who still uses "Le Male" from time to time, and I really do like "Le Male Essence". But this one is really very generic.

09/06/2019
5 Awards
[short review]
It didn't impress me at first. Then it started "talking to me" from time to time, having a cup of coffee and taking a shy place at my breakfast table. Today it has been installed for the entire day as my SOTD. I also want to confirm if this Alien fragrance has made me only vain promisses, or if it is here to stay.
I confess that it was not presented to me in the best way. Six months ago, inside the NYC 7th Avenue Macy's store, one of those 7-foot-tall clerks wearing a black 5XL-size suit came to me and started compulsively spraying me while saying, "Hey man, you gotta try this one. It's this year's best and your lady is going to scream for it! ". I never liked to bump suddenly at any man over seven feet tall, sticking some heavy sprays in my nose, nor do I like the image suggestion of my wife's screaming loud for no justifiable reason. But life taught me never to disagree with men over two meters height and so I received the whiffs with a smile and a "thanks bro". Anyway, for me Alien started on the left foot that day.
Notes I don't like: Dill - it smells like cucumber pickles. It gives a synthetic and vinegar touch to the perfume. I don't understand what purpose that note has in that blending. But without this Dill note Alien Men should be somewhat similar to two hundred (good) other perfumes on the market. So probably it serves the purpose of maintaining a certain fragrance individuality.
Notes I like: Smoke, Salty Aged Beachwood,, Leather, Cashmere Wood, Osmanthus and Amber.

Note: The bottle is supposed to be super manly. I find it from far futurist and probably a bit metrosexual... manly bottle? ... you wish! Probably it's just a pretencious bottle. Nobody in my house likes the flask as well.

08/20/2019
[short review]
The original Code made itself a place as the "other" Armani besides Acqua di Gio. It's a classy classic deserving a lot more market attention than it has received in recent years. It deserves a better place than just that secondary brand reference. Actually - in my opinion - is a much better perfume than its more famous aquatic brother.
Code is a mature spicy and sweet fragrance, with an under average performance for the notes, a nice visual presentation and an undeniable ability to pleasure ladies.
It opens with citrus as it is Armani's tradition, to later develop a bit of florals with anise facets. It dries down sweet and woody and it's in this phase that we recognise the real fragrance DNA.
The house of Armani launched a lot of Code flankers and this perfume is a bit "lost" in the shelves with so many in house competitive offers. I would say that it is even a bit underrated.As this scent is around for quite some years, prices became competitive for an Armani fragrance and it's an excellent alternative for an elegant and formal event or dining out choice. It's not even a bit outdated and I kind of prefer it to other woody sweet formal scents in the same pricing region from similar designers.
It's one of my wife's favourites.
I give this scent a global rate of 8.0/10.00.

08/15/2019
7 Awards
I have been more than a couple of times in different regions of Africa - actually I was born in Africa. The entire continent is a journey of hot colors and warm scents.
A perfumer must be really sure about his work when such a powerful name like Timbuktu is used. One cannot avoid to recall sand coloured buildings and palaces, colorful fruits, a goat here and there, smiling people, some imposed vivid green, and the omnipresent desert wind scent.
Timbuktu - the fragrance - pierces your nostrils with an opening first moment of strong spices together with a tropical sweet fruit aroma. It's a hot perfume from the start. Later, spices become even enhanced with an exquisite peppery floral touch, along with the lingering scent of frankincense.
As time passes you feel a second strong moment of resins along with the incense seasoned by a fainting sweet vanilla and an "African" dry, woody and smoky green. This balsamic green endures all through the drydown.
The perfume is good enough for 6 to 7 hours of longevity depending on the formulation. Sillage is somewhat discrete but you will get your money's worth with a couple more sprays for a four~five feet scent radius with an hour and a half of projection.
It's hot, it's green, it's dry, it's smoky, it's balsamic, it's woody. It's Central Africa, or even North Bolivia.
I am testing the white label flask pictured here in Parfumo.

How does Timbuktu faces my ratings?
Scent Opening:.........8,5 (fantastic)
Scent Drydown:........9.5 (close to perfection)
Longevity:..................7.0 (less than 7 hours in my skin)
Sillage:........................7.0 (4~5 feet sillage with 1.5 hours projection)
Uniqueness:..............9.5 (quite unique, evoquing some high standard vetiver fragrances, but different)
Wearability:...............9.0 (It's an all weather scent although a bit less appropriated in very cold days or nights)
Versatility:.................9.5 (all occasions except in the gym)
Compliments:...........7.0 (more a self pleaser than an attention grabber)
Quality:......................9.0 (above average quality ingredients)
Presentation:............8.0 (no comments)
Price:..........................7.5 (€45,00 - 50 ml EDT)
Overall rating: 8,32/10.0
bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Opinion: One of the best exquisite scents and I like it very much. A vetiver gem.
Recommended? Yes, but only if you like the scent of strong woody & smoky vetiver.

Music: "Survival" by OSIBISA

08/14/2019
7 Awards
This is a very unique perfume. I don't know any other I could compare with in terms of notes, blending and scent.
The fruity opening (mainly blackberry) is sweet and semi fresh and... Oriental as it comes together with a load of labdanum and incense. I never experienced such an amount of balsamic notes with a fresh opening.
The heart gives you a range of sweet floral facets and spices.
The bottom is very woody, resinous and balsamic, plus a touch of oud and smoke.
The evolution is quite complex but very pleasing and the different phases succeed with a lot of harmony, each one of them never really coming to an end.
It just marks one's presence for more than 8 hours, with an above average sillage and projection.
Is it the best Amouage so far? Probably! At least it's the best Amouage for my taste.
The ingredients have superb quality, it's very manly, a natural ladies pleaser, and it does reunite a lot of positive consense around it.
I could not help using it today.

How does Jubilation XXV copes with ratings?
Scent Opening:.........9,0 (fantastic)
Scent Drydown:........9.5 (close to perfection)
Longevity:..................9.0 (solid 9~10 hours in my skin)
Sillage:........................8.0 (6 feet sillage with 2.5 hours projection)
Uniqueness:.............10.0 (do you know a similar perfume?)
Wearability:...............8.0 (Fall, Winter and cold Spring days)
Versatility:.................8.0 (at leisure, formal events, evening and night out)
Compliments:...........9.0 (ladies seem to love it a lot)
Quality:......................9.5 (well above average quality ingredients)
Presentation:............8.0 (no comments)
Price:..........................5.5 (€150,00 - 100 ml)
Overall rating: 8,50/10.0
bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Opinion: One of the best scents on the market for my taste. A bit pricey though.
Recommended? Yes, but only if you don't object the high price.

Music: "Soon" by Yes

07/29/2019
3 Awards
I was a big fan of Dior Homme Cologne 2007. I prefer it to both the 2005 and 2011 EDTs, and rank it on a pair with Dior Homme Intense. Four years ago, I tried to replace an empty bottle (no! I didn't have a backup) but the fragrance had been discontinued and was nowhere to be purchased. I end up buying the citrusy version from 2013 but I don't like it and do not use it. But in September of 2018...

I bought and use Aguas Masculinas - N°3 Seducción Magnética by Victorio & Lucchino almost since one year ago and like it very much. A couple of Parfumo pals, Elysium and Darkbeat, have it and praise it a lot as well. Someone close to me bought it recently and became an addict of it. Today I spent quite sometime discussing this fragrance with three Parfumo coleagues. All of us had similar thoughts about the Victorio & Lucchino EDC.
I claimed from the start that Aguas Masculinas - N°3 was very similar to the unfortunately discontinued Dior gem, the Homme Cologne from 2007 (no! no! no!... forget the lemony version from 2013).
Are they really similar? Can this unexpensive gem make me forget the almost market vanished Dior Homme Cologne from 2007?

Opening and Heart - both open with very nice citrus, some cardamom and very heavy lipsticky iris.
Bottom and drydown - both develop reasonably heavy vetiver and patchouli notes with cocoa and resinous accords.
Top, heart and bottom, have very similar blending with similar notes. Seducción Magnética does not seem to be behind Dior's 2007 EDC in what concerns quality and performance as well.

Let's look at some objective rating. How does Seducción Magnética (V) and Homme Cologne 2007 (D) compare with each other through scoring:
______________________(V)___________(D)__________________________________________________________
Scent opening............8.0.................8.0
Scent Dry Down.........9.0.................9.0
Longevity (h) ..............6.0.................6.0 (V: 6h with 3 sprays; D: 6h with 3 sprays)
Sillage (ft)....................6.0.................6.5 (V: 4~5 ft sillage /1h projection; D: 5 ft /1.5h)
Versatility....................9.0.................9.0 (both above average for fresh EDC fragrances)
Usability......................9.0.................9.0 (Literally everywhere except cold outdoors)
Compliments..............8.0.................8.0 (Both scents attract compliments)
Uniqueness.................7.5.................8.5 (V may be considered a clone of D, and both of Dior Homme 2005)
Quality.........................9.0.................9.5 (quite high in both cases)
Presentation...............7.0.................9.0 (a matter of opinion)
Price...........................10.0.................6.0 (V: €10 /150ml; D: €100 /100ml)
Average:................8.05/10.0.........8,05/10.0
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;

Opinion on this match:
Both fragrances are very similar, both are very good and provide a similar satisfaction. We are in presence of EDCs, so naturaly the performance is not so high as in similar EDTs . Both are fresh and highly versatile perfumes. Value for money is quite low for the Dior fragrance and quite high for the Victorio & Lucchino EDC. The final choice only depends on your purse, and if you are lucky enough to find a sample of Dior's 2007 fragrance on sale anywhere. The Dior bottle is very nice and does make a difference.
Recommended? I recommend both fragrances but pose that question to your wallet first as the Dior fragrance costs at least 10X more.
Blind buy worthy? Yes for the Victorio & Lucchino EDC as it costs €10.0.
Final conclusion: You love Dior EDC 2007 but are not able to purchase it due to sheer unavailability... Well, Aguas Masculinas - N°3 Seducción Magnética by Victorio & Lucchino does totally the job, it's inexpensive and easy to find.

Music: Marilyn Monroe - "Happy Birthday Mr President"

Below tags refer to both fragrances.

07/29/2019
3 Awards
I claimed from the start that Aguas Masculinas - N°3 was very similar to an unfortunately discontinued Dior gem, the Homme Cologne from 2007 (no! no! no!... forget the lemony version from 2013).

Top, heart and bottom have very similar blending with similar notes. Seducción Magnética does not seem to be behind Dior's 2007 EDC in what concerns quality and performance as well.

Scent opening............8.0.................8.0
Scent Dry Down.........9.0.................9.0
Presentation...............7.0.................9.0 (a matter of opinion)
Average:................8.05/10.0.........8,05/10.0
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;

Opinion on this match:
Blind buy worthy? Yes for the Victorio & Lucchino EDC as it costs €10.0!.

Music: Marilyn Monroe - "Happy Birthday Mr President"

Below tags refer to both fragrances.

07/25/2019
5 Awards
[Short Review]
Bourjois is a very well known and old cosmetic brand but their perfumes are hard to find. Noses like Francois Demachy, Jacques Polge, Ernest Beaux and Henri Robert, all developped scents for Bourjois. A long time ago I remember to have bought my first Vetiver fragrance and it was no other than the very very good earthy Bourjois Masculin 2 Vétyver. Oh, how I wish to have a flask of it now!
Masculin 2 Black Instant is a woody green fougére, in fact a very pleasant one. It's a very good example of the french perfume crafting skills. It's quite an aromatic fragrance and a feminine head turner.... no, not in a sexy way. It captures the ladies attention with a "what smells so great around here" type of face.
The vetiver note is truly agreable, just a bit dry and green and a tiny bit smoky, standing out in the very simple and linear accords of woods, green and bergamot notes. If you are looking for a dark or gourmand sweet perfume due to the word "dark" in the fragrance name, just look elsewhere.
Longevity is acceptable, but sillage and projection are below average.
If you find one of the few remaining inexpensive flasks in a store, just blind buy it!
Scent rating: 8.0~8.5 /10.0