ChicoRoch1ChicoRoch1's Perfume Reviews

Filter & sort
1 - 5 by 98
ChicoRoch1 3 days ago 3 1
Wouldn’t it be great if…
Ralph Lauren has released a plethora of fragrances for both sexes. He’ll forever be known for Polo, the Earthy Green Classic which was just about everywhere men went in the 1980s. That being said I wanna draw some attention to a fragrance that’s not as popular or as well known as some others and that fragrance is Chaps EDT, which was released in 1979 during the Golden Age of Perfumerie, which lasted from 1960-1999. This is a great fragrance that is underrated and under appreciated and also DISCONTINUED. There are many reasons why a fragrance gets the ax so God only knows the reason(s). I love the old west vibe this scent gives off with plenty of Leather and Spice etc. Also notice how many Classics contain the ever important note OAKMOSS as it was everywhere back in the day and SORELY missed nowadays. All of these fragrances from 40 or 50 or 60 years ago were mostly Eau de Toilettes which were the equivalent of So called Parfum or Eau de Parfum of today. I thought that things were supposed to get better as time passed but it seems as if it skipped Modern Perfumerie. Guess it doesn’t apply here but as long as there are Vintage fragrances around I’ll still have the opportunity to experience true Quality and Greatness. If only they all weren’t so darn overpriced! All in all Chaps is a winner with great longevity and a super masculine scent that would make Clint Eastwood proud
ChicoRoch1 3 days ago 1
Niche Gold in a bottle
To the Niche God’s I say, rather reluctantly, thank goodness your genre is an option because the designer fragrance market, with the exception of a small percentage of brands, seems to be getting worse as the years pass and the IFRA noose tightens and tightens. For this collector I spend 80% on Vintage Classics and the rest on carefully chosen modern offerings. Lyrik By Navitas is a splendidly classy top drawer fragrance and one of the best creations to come from Dominique Ropion. It’s also one of the rare fragrances that I can apply in the morning and not have to make a decant or lug the whole bottle with me just to reapply every few hours or so. Now this isn’t the absolute greatest ever but it’s up there in class, style and luxury. I want to find out more, much more about this Niche Fragrance House because once I find a scent I truly like I tend to be loyal and end up buying more from the same brand. Maybe I take this hobby too seriously but I really enjoy what I’m doing, plus I’m learning about things in the process. My final comments are all positive. Great Longevity, strong Sillage, attractive bottle and top of the line raw materials that all add up to one thing… A great great fragrance. :)
ChicoRoch1 10 days ago 1
Criminally overlooked in modern perfumerie
1980 oh how I miss that era I can not begin to say. There simply isn’t enough time to say what I really feel though. Fragrance is just a small part of how different life was back then. This Eau de Toilette by The French Fragrance House Leonard has a litany of different notes to round out this creation. It’s been discontinued of course but many Vintage bottles remain, much to my satisfaction so I quickly scooped this one up. From top to bottom and front to back I have nothing but positive comments to share. Unfortunately my reviews do not receive a lot of accolades because I tend to only comment on the fragrance itself and how it behaves which is redundant I’ll admit but my sense of smell isn’t intricate enough to really go into detail about individual notes and my reviews tend to also be on the short side which hurts me. I’ve seen some reviews that seem to go on forever and sometimes the reviewer goes off on a tangent about things that have nothing to do with the fragrance at hand and yet people love it. Me though I’m not blessed when it comes to literary topics. So this fragrance by Leonard has great longevity and it goes heavy on the Leather, Woods and Oakmoss. Facets that aren’t that important in today’s strange and weird fragrance environment
ChicoRoch1 1 month ago 1
Another discontinued Halston flanker
Halston Z came on the scene very quietly in 1998 as a Woody flanker to the original Halston Z-14. This is a mediocre Masculine Aromatic that underperforms in a big way and that's a huge disappointment, considering the scent itself is really nice. I still love Elsa Perettis bottle design as it's immediately identified as a Halston product and could've been found in any drugstore. Back in 1998 I was 27yrs old and back then I still had a big interest in fragrances but for the life of me I simply cannot remember this one at all. I'd love to get my hands on Amber Man because I have a feeling that one is a winner but every time I look for it it's always sold out. This fragrance has notes of Bergamot, Coriander, Lemon, Mandarin Orange, Lavender, Cedar, Geranium, Juniper Berries, Lily of the Valley, Jasmine, Neroli, Oakmoss, Musk, Vetiver, Ambergris, Sandalwood and Palisander Rosewood. Boy I wish I had a better trained nose so I could better identify the Fragrance note by note so I can get better at fragrance reviews. Everything I talk about comes from my memory and maybe I'll tell a story or two. I have a Vintage bottle from French Fragrances that's well blended and has a light woody scent that unfortunately dissipates much too quickly. In fact, the Longevity as a whole is mediocre at best. This Eau de Toilette, you'd think, would or should last longer than 4 or 5 hrs, especially when you consider the note lineup here in but with fragrances I swear you just never know so you have to just hope for the best. Halston Z is definitely not a popular or much discussed Fragrance but that doesn't mean that it's no good. In fact, i like this Woody Fougere and it does have some positives going for it. It's a pleasant, inoffensive and linear fragrance that'll take you back to your younger years and last but not least I have no idea whether or not this was ever reformulated but considering the fact that there's Oakmoss in the base I'd say yes to it being reformulated.
ChicoRoch1 1 month ago 1
5.5
Too harsh to be an Aquatic
Declaration L'Eau only has 3 notes contained therein and the Pink Grapefruit note is extremely prevalent from start to finish and in my estimation it's extremely harsh. I was hoping that after a few minutes the Pink Grapefruit note would die down but to no avail. Cartier usually comes up with some stellar smelling fragrances but I think that on this on they definitely dropped the ball. I previously owned Declaration Parfum from 2018 but after a few wearings I decided to unload it to someone who would like it. It looks like I just might do the same thing with this one. I only worn this fragrance a couple of times and now I understand why. It just isn't for me.
1 - 5 by 98