ControversyControversy's Perfume Reviews

Filter & sort
1 - 5 by 7
Controversy 1 month ago 3
Rushing waves
Lilyn is the harbinger of the season that everyone craves for right now.
The combination of white flowers (jasmine and tuberose) and Ylang-Ylang gives me the first impression that this is a very seductive scent: intoxicating & narcotic beautiful. But as we have come to expect from Miguel, there is of course a twist in Lilyn that develops beautifully during the first hours. By using the salty notes from the sea, the seaweed, and the fresh feeling that water evokes in me, it becomes more and more an oceanic fresh green scent. A drop of coconut and you imagine yourself on the beaches of the Mediterranean Sea, enjoying the rushing waves. If you thought this was it.....no, we take it a step further with a fantastic finish by adding the amber: the sweet, slightly salty, animalic scent that I personally adore mixed with the slightly sweet milk makes Lilyn is for me a fragrance to deceive ...sensual??? Yes, without any doubt! Intoxicating beautiful? Oh yeah!

Controversy 1 month ago 3
Fame & Fortune or...
Flame & Fortune can easily be confused with Fame & Fortune. Sarah's perfumes are getting more fame widespread, which is i.m.o. much deserved

Flame & Fortune is one of them and do you know why? Just look at the ingredients and I can see you all raising your eyebrows because how can these girlish soft pastels of the flowers match these 'tough guys' like motor oil, burnt wood, fire? It may seem impossible to mix the sunny flower fields with the darkness of smoke.
Trust me as these beautiful flowers spread their nectar together and join the soft sweetness of apricot, the resinous labdanum with the sparkling freshness of the mandarin petit-grain. A little pink pepper to heat it up when the ginger is suddenly the game changer in this fragrance. Flame & Fortune gets drier and has enough oxygen to burn the wood. The flames flare up when you add some extra motor oil and booze to the fire. It spreads a huge cloud of smoke above the sky but every now and then those same flames give out so much light that despite the smokiness you can see and smell the flower fields in the distance.
Flame & Fortune deserves its name !

Controversy 1 month ago 2
Leather doused in smoke
In all aspects Equus No 8 is a classic leather fragrance to me. After a rather spicy start with a shy trace of roses in the shadow rises a burst of leather that is dipped in smoke. It so strongly reminds me of entering the old-fashion shoe repair shop from my youth. The shoemaker always sat in the back of the small dark shop, which was overloaded with shoes that had been repaired in a crafty way, waiting for the owners to pick them up. There was a very small window and as the sun slipped in you could see the ever-present cigarette smoke mixing with the air. But because it smelled so authentic to the new leather soles, you were never misted by the smoke. Oh, how I loved that little shop! Is that where my love for the smell of leather originated? Thinking back now, I'm sure the answer is yes.
Equus No 8 smells exactly like this : like a new pair of real leather-shoes but then doused in smoke: heavy but so well done! It all settles down into a long-lasting adventure with a strong projection of a wonderful smoky, woody sweet fragrance without losing the real leather vibe. Certainly worth to give it a try but be aware that it's a loud fragrance so don't overspray . Unless you want to be noticed .....
Controversy 5 months ago 3
Leather, leather, leather
Leather, leather, leather ..... mix it with hay & clay and you get one of the most exceptional fragrances (in a very positive way).
When I sampled Salamanca years ago, with many others from this brand, it was clear: Ellen Covey is an outstanding perfumer. But Salamanca was still a bridge to far, so I ordered Ballets Rouge, Hamsa and Seattle Chocolate that time. These 3 were more appropriate and captured my taste more . Nowadays it's different, I don't turn my back on the very exceptional and experimental fragrances anymore.
I've never been to Spain, but if this indeed the atmosphere and the smell of their history reflects I would jump on an airplane straight away to get there and never come back again. This is the real stuff, the perfumer didn't hesitate to speak out loud with Salamanca. It screams leather from the opening until eternal. Yes there are other ingredients that comes along like seaweed which gives it just that tiny bit of 'green but salty freshness' in the opening, the opoponax and labdanum are for the powerful sweet balsamic and a small dose of spicyness touch.
But what stays is hardcore leather, earthy wet clay and the particular smell of dried cut grass.
The longevity & projection is enormous, so be very careful when you mingle in the crowd. Or even better : enjoy this magnificent perfume all by yourself.

Controversy 5 months ago 3
A strange Love story
The opening of but_not_today is almost unreal, some find it too challenging, it bursts immediately and incredibly open: fresh or is it the metallic taste of blood, I really have no idea what to make of it. In any case, it is very strong, but if you think this is too much then, trust me, you don't have to wait long because 'but _not_ today' dries up fast into an intense beautiful perfume. Indeed it is animalic but the amber, the wood and the oakmoss provide a beautiful balance . For me it's no way a horror story but more the love story of The Beauty and the Beast.

"What to wear today " is probably the most frequently asked question by many people. And this obviously concerns the choice of clothes for that day ... but not for us. No, every morning we worry about which scent we wear that day. If you work at the office or in a shop or all other public places then the choice is quickly made and you go for safe. So ' but_ not_ today ' is certainly not an option, or is it?

1 - 5 by 7