DrB1414DrB1414's Perfume Reviews

DrB1414 10 months ago 3

Beautiful, happy, thrilling Narcissus
Porter Sa Peau feels like an opposite perfume to Oeilleres, the other creation from Roberto. Very bright, uplifting, happy. I detect aldehydes, floral (narcissus), and fruity nuances(ylang-ylang), as well as some musks in the base. This one makes me think of classic French perfumery. Narcissus is beautifully showcased and complemented by the other supporting notes. Chic, elegant. It does not change as much as Oeilleres on my skin, but I think it doesn't need to. It also feels like a much easier to wear perfume, less challenging. And although I gravitate towards orientals and animalics, I like it a lot.

DrB1414 10 months ago 1

Truly an anti-floral perfume, but in very floral way.
Oeilleres is very intriguing, complex, and unique. It starts very herbal and aromatic. I can detect the chamomile note strongly in the beginning, a note and scent that I really like. I like the way the cumin plays in the composition, together with the musk. As it develops into the heart and base, it becomes richer, thicker, almost leathery, mossy. Has a nice balance of sweet and salty. Herbaceous and resinous. It begins very dry herbal and finishes with a resinous-musky-leathery base. I can definitely see why it is labeled an anti-floral. You can almost see it as a floral, but it is not. I see the floral elements like being very dry, burnt, left to dehydrate in the sun. It makes me think of my summer holidays spent in the countryside. Enjoyed this one a lot.

DrB1414 1 year ago 1

Arabian Nights
Oh My LORD! This is what Oriental Dreams are made off.

I have been to the Middle East many times and this scent is very reminiscent of that. Also, this is a version of Portrait of a Lady made for the Middle East. You have the same rose and amber accord as in POAL, same perfumer, but Oud instead of Patchouli. Moreover, in a live stream that Frederic Malle and Dominique Ropion did together, F Malle said that with The Night the intention was to re-create Portrait of a Lady for the Middle Eastern Market, by adding oud instead of patchouli. And since I love POAL, I adore this one. This is for the men that feel insecure wearing POAL. Don't listen to the stupid reviews that say this one smells like barn, poop, or anything like that. Those people have probably never been to the Middle East, and only sniffed Western perfume. This is GORGEOUS. I wish more people would actually try perfume for themselves instead of just regurgitating other so-called reviewers' subjective opinions on a fragrance.

What does it smell like to my nose? OUD and ROSE. But because Indian Oud has such a complex aroma to it, this perfume seems like it has so much more. It's warm, a bit dry, woody, leathery, moldy, spicy. It's a true olfactory experience. The rose is definitely present throughout and it makes for a very sexy combination. All in all, people need to actually give this one a try on SKIN. To me, it is one of the best things I have ever smelled in my life.

DrB1414 2 years ago 1

Smoky, fruity leather. Love it
So, the first time I saw the notes for this perfume I was really curious to sniff it. Like really curious. Somehow it seemed though impossible to do it. You can only purchase the 50 or the 100 ml bottle, it does not come in the 10 ml travel size, there are no boutiques that carry it near me as it is an exclusive just like The Night and Dawn. Ordered a couple of samples from the internet but they were watered down, the color of the juice was clear so I didn't even bother, I just sent them back. So, pissed off due to lack of availability in boutiques and due to diluted online samples I did the "smartest" thing and bought the 100 ml bottle blind:)). Luckily, I love it and I have no regrets.

Opening: It starts off sweet, fruity, a concoction of red berries mixed up with a skanky leather accord. I assume that the leathery touch is given by the oud. I think the way Rasquinet used the oud note here is so that it displays more of the leathery facets of oud.

Mid: In the mid, the fruity sweetness goes in the background while the leather accord dominates. Beautiful leather, a bit rough and skanky but perfectly balanced by the fruity sweetness and some floral touches. Here we also get the frankincense that envelopes the composition in a beautiful smoke cloud. Smoky, fruity leather.

Dry-down: In the dry-down, it is still leather and smoke and also it gets more woody. The fruity sweetness remains but just as a supporting player to keep everything in perfect balance.

Overall I really love The Moon. I like it more than Promise which I also own. They share similar qualities but they are quite different. I feel in the late dry-down they are more alike, however, Promise is way drier and sour, whereas, The Moon is smoother and sweeter. They both play the leather accord game with Promise being more on the woody, sour and chemical side and The Moon on the smoky, leathery one. I prefer The Moon as I like that tiny bit of sweetness in my fragrances, however, I really think both are amazing. Promise is more complex and it changes drastically throughout, whereas The Moon, is a bit more linear. Two amazing offerings from Frederic Malle and the Desert Gems collection.

Apr