ElysiumElysium's Perfume Reviews

1 - 5 of 403
Elysium 11 hours ago 1

The Delicious Reek Of Decadence
Thank goodness I've never smoked. But if I had this vice, I would have liked to smoke a pipe, or rather one of those steam electronic novelties, with a tobacco blend from the coasts of Turkey. The intricacies of Turkish tobacco offer more than a delicate taste a highly aromatic experience. Complemented with notes of caramel, vanilla and hints of chocolate, this sweet and salty tobacco provides a finish on the exhale like no other. When most folks think of the smell of tobacco, they deem of cigarette fumes or cigar tobacco. However, a real tobacco plant smells like neither of these. It describes an authentic tobacco plant fragrance as a fresh, citrus top with juniper berries and a vetiver's woodsy notes.

So anyway, it's fun, it's naughty, it's decadently sweet: Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille cologne undoubtedly smells gorgeous. It reveals itself with a creamy and spicy potpourri, a handful of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, a pinch of pepper, with a melted sweet and sour dried fruit. I observe a mellifluous spiciness similar to what I get at the opening from V&R Spicebomb and Bvlgari Man in Black, which doesn't mean they are the same, just share the same warmth, boozy, and comfy vibe. On my skin, it results precisely like a plum pudding, a sort of dark, blackened, moist-to-dry fruitcake that often is backed by a vanilla rum sauce. The similarity is so substantial, it's striking. The boozy opening is accompanied by dark pipe tobacco, cinnamon-like chocolate, and spices.

As the fruity and spicy accords fade, it exudes mouth-watering chocolate, along with tobacco blossoms. Vanilla is initially subdued, rough, dense and almost dirty, while the tobacco is wet, very moist, soft, like neither a cigarette nor a Cuban cigar. It is a sweet, light and fruity pipe tobacco and has no smoky and incense notes. Notes of dried fruit develop and intensify lovely tones but do not become prominent. The heart has tobacco flowers, I did not know them, and I asked: in the sunlight the flowers often lower and close their petals, and then open wide into bright white stars at nightfall, they have a jasmine-like scent that starts to snort sunset. I consider it essential to tell you that the perfume has rugged longevity but low projection and sillage. Therefore, a higher dosage does not increase its projection but results in a significantly stronger chocolate note. The greater the quantity sprinkled, the stronger and darker the chocolate. Chocolate's aroma is as light as cocoa powder, more like cinnamon-spiced dark chocolate with the proper use.

After the perfume has reached its complete drying, it can be outlined as a moderately protruding and delightful fragrance of blond tobacco, vanilla and tonka bean with delicate fruity, warm and woody notes. The smell is lively, semi-greedy, more masculine than feminine, adult, modern, natural, creamy, sticky, quite sweet, syrupy, warm and pleasant. This was a little surprise. Not at all hateful as many gourmand aromatics, the result reminds me of Peterson Virginia Irish Dew luxury pipe tobacco. This sumptuous blend of well seasoned Virginia and toasted Burley tobaccos with whiskey and fruit undertones in bloom. The sweet hint of vanilla and the hint of chocolate from the toasted Burley give this tobacco an exceptional finish. What vanilla character is there, I would say it must be real vanilla and not an extract or "vanilla". Chocolate isn't that obvious, but I'm sure it adds to the roundness of this tobacco.

It's sweet, spicy, and comfortable, thanks to tonka and vanilla notes, yet still manages to be formal, sophisticated, and luxurious. I love most about this perfume because of the olfactory association I have with this perfume: pipe tobacco. The smell is not that of a pipe smoker, Tobacco Vanille does not contain smoky notes, it does not have a too sour smell, but the smell of fresh and not yet burnt pipe tobacco, like when you put your nose inside the package. It evokes visions of a distinguished gentleman, masculinity and heritage.
That said, I received tons of compliments yesterday evening while attending a B-day party. It was freezing outside, and the scent assured me like a warm scarf. It gives it best in the winter season, for a cuddling lazy day at home, or mundane evening events and nights out.

Elysium 4 days ago 1

Sinful with Ancient Roses
Grandma's old trunk had stood for years in a dark, dusty corner of the attic. Now it was time to vacate the entire house, and to do so, we had also ventured to this unusual place. It was a crumpled dark green wooden chest covered with golden metal reinforcements along all sides and with a heavy padlock in the center. Who knows what it might contain. Several labels glued with stamps from around the world caught my attention, and a tag tied with a thread to a leather handle was still in excellent condition despite being made of cardboard. The lock was not closed, but two large latches held the lid securely. To my amazement and excitement, I released both latches, first one and then the other. When I lifted the heavy lid, it filled me with a pungent smell of camphor and mothballs. The trunk was full of antique hand-embroidered tablecloths, sheets, blankets, towels of all kinds. All linens have been carefully stored, wrapped in tissue paper sheets. There were little bags of mothballs in each corner and lots of dried rose petals scattered everywhere to confuse and mask the potent smell of insect and moth repellants. I must confess that I adored my grandmother and that pungent perfume that enveloped her warmth in her trunk: mothballs. At 57, I can't get enough of the smell that most people find harmful, so much so that their fumes have become an addiction to me.

But what does all this ancient flavor have to do with Arabian Roses? Well, this perfume was the most sought after piece in the Essenza Intensa collection. When I blindly bought all the other elements a few years ago, only one piece of Arabian Roses was left, and I wasn't so quick to put it in the bin. But I never stopped looking for it until a few days ago when it appeared on the Redzilla.com site along with the new Silk Oud. Both are now in my wardrobe, mission accomplished. Although the oud note in many of them may be a bit synthetic, the scents, on the whole, are decent. All in EDP concentration, they come in a solid cardboard box that opens like a clamshell as if there was a jewel inside — this is an antique pink — the bottle is in solid dark glass and recalls those of Bottega Veneta, with a nice metal cap that closes the bottle firmly. Nothing is missing to confuse this fragrance with a niche one.

That's an excellent presentation for a perfume that can be found around € 20 for a 100ml. But let's see what this precious perfume called Arabian Roses hides. The Reyane Tradition house is not very conducive to making the olfactory components known, so I will reproduce by describing what my nose perceives, trying to get as close as possible. First of all, I am amazed by the beauty of this fragrance. I own many Reyane Tradition perfumes, so I was looking forward to trying that out, and I flew away with this fragrance! It is so profound and frightening. Arabian Roses is the latest of the Intense Essence fragrances. I wore it, and it is a superb mix of rose, saffron, patchouli, oud, and vanilla. What a harmonious blend! It consists of smoky, floral, woody, and amber accords. Upon opening, an explosion of camphor rose petals is immediately heard. There is a strong presence of naphthalene, which leads me to think of the addition of saffron, which is first as a quick introduction and then the mesmerizing dance between the sweet floral rose and the resonant wood and amber. Added in Arabian Roses' opening, it gives a distinct dry and camphor-like touch to a fragrant damask rose so sweet that I wonder if there are no berries added.

The oud's deep metallic atmosphere makes the rose even more mystical, while the amber in the base tilts the entire tone into a warm and comfortable scent. The rose enters forcefully from the opening during its life, with patchouli and oud as a harmonious heart and vanilla in the base that exudes a little more gradually on the dry—a slow melody of violet, saffron, with a hint of pink. Then, an explosion of notes! It conforms to something exceptional. The rose seems to float between gorgeous patchouli and oud. The oud in this is very soft, nothing edgy or animal in this beauty. Oud, on the other hand, is lovely and syrupy. The addition of vanilla gives the fragrance a soft and creamy element.

Longevity is excellent, while sillage remains moderate. Saffron, a sweet rose, and patchouli - I take them in that order to form a delicious blend. There is a hint of amber and vanilla spices in the base without making it powdery or gourmand. A nice little creamy vanilla is present most of the time. Not many notes, but high quality and well blended. Decent silage and projection and three hours of longevity on my skin. Early spring or fall would be fine. I would wear it in the evening just because it has a syrupy texture and leaves a relatively thick but beautiful trail in the air, with that incensed and camphor-like touch of its own. It is a genuinely romantic scent that will be highly appreciated on date nights and intimate encounters.

This review bases upon a 100ml (3.4 fl. oz) bottle I own since January 2021.

Elysium 5 days ago

The Sultan’s Concubine
Yesterday I was very inspired, excited, horny and an animal scent like Kouros was perfect for my mood. But things change quickly, and today I feel meek as a little lamb, harmless, harmless, and naive. So, which perfume best suits my mood if not Narciso Rodriguez for Her. The pastel pale pink bottle with its scent so soft, musky, and feminine that it can make you fall in love every time.

For Her revolves around Egyptian moss and is classified as a modern chypre. Synthetic musk emanates soft, warm, captivating, and ultra-sensual tones. On the other hand, Egyptian musk is a more robust and charming musk, which offers vanilla tones, and softens it. Here, Egyptian musk brings outgoing sensuality that blends harmoniously with other oriental ingredients. My nose was intrigued. There was something very floral, but most delicately and discreetly, warm, meaty, juicy, and thick. And so I decided to try it.

For me, For Her is the olfactory equivalent of an ancient abbey adorned for a wedding. The floor, walls, columns, and roof are covered with green vegetable moss, while the central nave is sprinkled with fragrant rose petals. Next to the sandalwood benches are placed baskets filled with juicy peaches and white flowers. Each basket was handwoven with threads taken from the roots of the vetiver. A smoky, incensed, and amber note hovers in the air, warmed by the sun's rays that penetrate through the large windows. And the gracious bride strolls, wrapped in her perfect pale pink chiffon dress, almost powdery, radiant, smiling. Her fragrance dances with light, sparkling steps evoke the vibrant movement of the textured fabric in her top notes. When it caresses my skin, a mantle of smoky and incensed rose oozes and expands, enveloping my body and everything around me.

For Her Eau de Parfum retains musk as a heart note, just like its other scents, adding a creamy floral powder that blends the warm, earthy notes of a rose with honey. Peach and rose are added to make this fragrance genuinely velvety. On me, it is first of all warm and delicate, with the slightest hint of seductive spice. The squad does not explode very clearly and does not dominate. Instead, it mixes with peach and amber, with a soft touch of patchouli, creating the most beautiful ensemble that turns heads.
The mix of peach and rose first awakens the sense of smell, followed by the incursion of patchouli, musk, which warms the mind, continuing to be agitated by sandalwood's essential oil senses fully awakened. In the warmth, there is still sweetness. Meanwhile, a veil of soft amber and wood adds mystery and depth to the composition. I love the dry rose notes combined with a noticeable scent of musk and sandalwood. There is nothing pink gourmand. It blends into your skin and warms up quickly, leaving you with a charming aroma of soft rose and creamy musk.

The white musk accord gives warm flowers - seriously warm, like fragrant petals on a hot day - a slightly woody and sexy edge. Still, the muskiness is clean and pretty, not incredibly sexy, so it has a place in both boudoir and cubicle. The scent persists for hours. It's already got into most of my clothes, which I appreciate. For me, it is a perfume of the cold, an office perfume, a romantic walk by the sea in winter, but also a feminine evening in the scent of the city. The smell is not sweet with the critical ingredient of musk, which brings a feeling of warmth, which blends with the scent of rose and peach and some other elements to create a distinctive aroma that is not taken for granted.

This review bases upon a 100 ml (3.4 fl. oz.) bottle I own since January 2021.

Elysium

Elysium 6 days ago 2

The Sexual Sweat of Sexually Aroused Men
Kouros is my naughty and raunchy fellow. This review is not suitable for younger readers because of its sexually explicit content. On my way to the hotel room after a grueling working day, I'm followed by a hearty dinner to close the deal. So tired, I undress before I even set foot in the room, the versts scattered on the floor. I throw myself in the shower to shake off all the accumulated stress, leaving me for a long time under the hot jet, but without soaping, I want to smell my clean skin on me. Still dripping, I spray Kouros all over the place, the first and penetrating smell of it pervades the room and clouds my mind, and I throw myself on the bed, my body completely naked and wet in contact with the pristine white sheets. And I fall into a carnal dream, thousands of sweaty and sculpted bodies intertwine with mine, stolen kisses, musky pubes, forbidden sex. I wake up in the morning drenched in sweat, my bed completely unmade, and realize it was just a pleasant guilty nightmare. When I leave the room, I imagine the face the maid will make as she enters, still smelling what she will think is sex, an interminable hug, a real orgy, sweat and body fluids pleasantly mixed in the air and the crumpled sheets. But this is only the fruit of my imagination, one of the many that Kouros releases in me every time I perceive that nasty smell in the air. You know what? The dirty feel is a fantastic quality in perfume when done correctly. It shows the duality of human nature, animal on one side and divine on the other—physicality with the soul.

Warning: Kouros is not for everyone. It is a perfume that divides opinions; you either hate it or love it. However, it can also create mixed feelings towards the same individual. A part of us may find it obnoxious and repulsive, while it may fascinate and attract the other interest, eager to smell it again and again. Kouros offers a no-nonsense, patently masculine, and testosterone-fuelled experience. Despite being admired by those with a trained nose, the pungent odor that its deceptively white bottle reveals will often generate comparisons with places with lingering odors of what the body exudes. The closest thing I can associate with the scent of Kouros is the odor of the jockstrap's crotch soaked in groin sweat after an intense rugby match. However, to others, such a natural aroma gives the fragrance a distinct, courageous, even sexy profile, the animalic accord made more interesting by leather and amber. I think the impression Bourdon was looking for was an image of a young man's locker room after a rugby match, let's say, the air smelling of steam, soap, sweaty skin and dirt and muddy apparel.
Kouros by YSL is exceptionally one of the finest men's fragrances ever produced among the men's perfumes you can buy. I was in college when it was released, still too young to wear it. Yet a few years later, some slightly fresh, airy, toned, and summery flankers were released, more wearable and suitable for me. And now, I've grown enough to wear it.

Kouros presents a gorgeous opening. Bitter tarragon, unripe bergamot, soapy leather, sweet honey, and bold musks add a bit of rough "sweat" to the soap accord. With a touch of shimmering aldehydes, it enhances the otherwise only too opulent blend: velvety, herbaceous sage, and sour coriander complete the crime scene. The opening is sweet, woody bergamot with an incense quality that isn't church-like but that you can feel when you have a berry blend in your hands. It promises an expensive, classy, and very high quality, almost niche smell. This is also where the sillage slaps you in the face; it's not for skinny, snobby kids tight in jeans. This is the real smell hovering through the workshop of grease and sweat-stained mechanic lying under a car, stuff for real curmudgeons. It's not for the trendy crowd that gets lost in undisturbed, delicate aquatic colonies.

The heart notes manifest after more than an hour or two, and this is where jasmine, clove, and bergamot blend into something out of this world. A gentleman's carnation along with geranium leaves and a pinch of cinnamon is what I get next. The iris's dustiness turns the heart into a dirty powder, away from CD Homme's powdery lipstick, with an abundance of indole jasmine that stands out with more earthy vetiver. The scent is so opulent, stale, greasy that you might even think it's gone wrong. Yet no, this is the power of adulthood that oozes drop by drop from the heart of Kouros, the smell of ancient statuary bodies, legendary Greek palaces, and museums drenched in mysterious ointments. Nothing can prepare you for this beautiful, hypnotic, and magical scent. The quality of the soap becomes more pronounced the longer the fragrance remains on the skin. It supports the new and almost marine composition, layered with soapy notes between the top and the bottom.
The initial morbid scent morphs into a sweaty gym man, perhaps a sweaty gym man who showered using a generic musky soap that didn't clean him thoroughly. My intrigue is turning into something else. It's almost exciting and exaggerated masculinity that hits my nostrils and goes down to the hottest parts.

The base notes develop and echo over the next six to eight hours, and the masculinity of this comes out and stays there, projecting success, style, and class to the end. The musky base note, combined with bergamot and cloves, blends in a truly masterful way. The sweetness of mellifluous patchouli is perceptible, as well as a damp green oakmoss effect. But unlike many other soapy fragrances, it doesn't go dry and dull afterward. Over time, the sweet and musky notes amplify and become part of your skin. The olibanum lingers, always in the background, and so does the leather.

The projection is legendary on this one, as is the reformulated batch I have. You will get noticed and smell yourself and love every piece of it. You will smell it on your wrist and neck for most of the day and on your coat, jacket and clothes for days if not weeks. It exudes the aura of intelligence, class, strength, and masculinity. Every fragrance collector should have at least one copy, truly a masterpiece. The formulation available in stores today is still Kouros, recognizable. Still, it looks modernized, even cleaner, and better suited to today's metrosexual male standards, which results in more woods, more vanilla talc, and less musk. Its authoritarian character makes me think of a cologne to wear in late autumn, all winter and early spring, for evening social events and discos. The sweetness of honey comes out of my body chemistry on hot, humid spring days. It's masculine for a man with a very hairy chest. Still, on my hairless skin, it's a beautiful soapy scent with the animalic note of civet, leather, and oakmoss shining in perfect harmony together, and I love it! On me, with enough sweat, this becomes a sweet, soapy, musky, animalic fragrance that lasts all day and all night. It is a clean, fresh, sweet, and musky scent that transforms into a very sexy and attractive aphrodisiac. Kouros is one of the few perfumes with that "sweaty" look that I like. I don't care what your sexual orientation or preferences are here. If you like the smell of a man in his natural hygienic state, you would no doubt love this fragrance as it cleans and adds to it without completely covering it.

This review bases upon a 100ml (3.4 fl. oz) bottle I own since 2018.

Elysium 13 days ago 2

The 80s Between Duran Duran And Spandau Ballet
Those who lived in the 80s cannot fail to remember the rivalry, success, and decline of the two bands that influenced those years' music scene. Many hits by the two New Romantic groups: from The Wild Boys, Save Prayer, The Reflex for Duran Duran, to I'll Fly For You, Gold, True for Spandau Ballet. You may be wondering what this introduction has to do with perfume. Let's take a step back. In those years, I was attending college with my best friend and high school rival. There was a healthy competitive rivalry between us, and we couldn't wear the same perfume; we had to stand out. I first felt it on him in the early 1980s. This stuff blew me away. Since this was his signature, I had to give up and opt for another famous icon, so I chose Cacharel pour L'Homme, which became my signature for that winter of '84, and I forgot about Drakkar. Fast forward to the last day: I saw it on promotion in perfumery and bought it. It is surprisingly fresh, bitter, aromatic, spicy, clean, and manly, and now I'm here to describe it.

I have not used or smelled Drakkar Noir for over thirty years, despite imprinting its olfactory imprint in my memory. So, I will try to describe the feelings that this newer and reformulated version gives me. In the beginning, I am greeted by the complex citrus and soapy accord characteristic of barber colognes. You can perceive the vertiginous notes of lemon and bergamot peels mixed with the more aromatic and green ones of the spikes of lavender, rosemary needles, basil leaves, and bitter artemisia. And mint, a profusion of peppery green leaves. While it's tempting to compare it to gin and tonic, the alcoholic spirit I'm thinking of here is absinthe, especially considering mugwort, which provides a slightly bitter greasiness. Being soapy doesn't mean it must smell too clean. You can sense much more exciting shades.

Despite the sparkling and invigorating opening, at the moment, no memory drawer has been opened containing the message "Hey, this is Drakkar Noir!". So I have to wait a little longer to see if I recognize something more familiar in its evolution. Yet, it is an indisputably aromatic and fougère cologne. The heart, oh yes, the heart. So dusty, spicy, balsamic, and green. It is like a table set for a large gala dinner. A tablecloth of jasmine petals adorns the table, which seats Mr. Garofano, always a bit stubborn but noble, a spicier Mr. Coriander, green as always, the dark Mr. Juniper, very balsamic, and not least the sweet Mr. Cinnamon, spiced to the right point. At the end of the dinner, a beautiful blend of lavender and moss emerges with hints of wood and suede.

Finally, the base includes an intriguing and complex mix of some resinous, woody, and herbaceous notes. One of the most distinguishable notes is spruce, which offers the freshness of pine needles. Meanwhile, earthy patchouli, moist oakmoss, and refreshing cedarwood are also featured. I am really getting the sap and the resin than the heart, which was relatively balmy. I feel all those spices and alcoholism of absinthe created this almost oozing and oily flavor that adapts perfectly to the skin—bitter herbal and aromatic fougère.

In terms of performance, this is a bitter, aromatic fougère, with a pretty decent sillage, it leaves a trace but is a bit limited. And longevity, expect half a day of performing here. You will need to refresh it right after. Drakkar Noir is a fragrance best suited for colder climates, autumn, and winter in terms of seasonality. Therefore, it probably wouldn't work very well in hot weather. I think it's too balmy, too thick, and would probably be a little stuffy if worn outside on a hot summer day. It's perhaps an evening or nighttime fragrance. Still, it could also be worn in the daytime, especially since, in terms of occasion, I believe it is very much an office fragrance, not offensive or intrusive. The modern Drakkar Noir is still a glorious and legendary fragrance, even though I'm missing the oakmoss bombshell. Yet, I am grateful that it is still around, albeit light years away from the original version.

This review bases on a 100ml (3.4 fl. oz) bottle I own since January 2021.

1 - 5 of 403