FinannaFinanna's Perfume Reviews

Filter & sort
1 - 5 by 12
Finanna 4 years ago 2
Dark rum
I was dumb enough to approach this with great expectations of heliotrope&iris. It takes a lot of conscious sniffing to discern these notes, I ended up smelling like I had marinated myself with strong, dark rum. Which is not a bad thing but I appreciate it much more when sniffing it from a mug on a cold winter day:) Not the most wearable of the line but definitely interesting. Beast longevity, decent projection.
Finanna 4 years ago 3
Easy, breezy, beautiful
My one-liner review for this would be easy, breezy, beautiful! It is a Kenzo vanilla (from the good old days). As this was released ages ago, I am not sure if my opinions are based on the actual product or aging process.

On my skin this is quite linear aquatic vanilla scent. If you love deep, spicy and sweet vanillas with decent throw, this is not for you. If you are looking for a no-brainer to drench yourself on warmer days (this needs heat to bloom), this is perfect. It will not suffocate people around you, but give you a soft veil of freshness (if you do not go trigger-happy). What I really like about this is the softness of aquatics, you are not washed by a calone tsunami. There is a soft hint of generic ”cedar” and hay but the main player is vanilla.

My bottle is halfway empty, and I will happily spritz the rest during this summer. While I have really enjoyed this, I dont see a particular need for obsessive hunting or paying too much for this. It is a bit like a nice friend you meet on holiday: it is lots of fun to hang around, but no need for exchanging addresses and phone numbers when you return to reality. If a well-aged bottle falls onto your lap, try it but no need to feel like you are missing out something if it doesn’t.
Finanna 6 years ago 4
True lilac!!!
I have been hunting for the perfect lilac fragrance for 20 years and I have finally found it! The problem with others has been that they smell like toilet fresheners after two minutes (Lilas Mauve), have too much heliotrope (Sweet Morphine) or other stuff that suffocates the poor lilacs (En Passant, Lilac Love). French Lilac by Pacifica was close to perfect, but the burst of proper lilacs lasts about 10 minutes :(

I have had four lovely days with my small sample of A Lilac a Day and on good days it smells just like my mum's glorious purple lilac bushes: intoxicating honeyed wiff of real lilacs, a smell that is notoriously difficult to capture in perfumery.

On bad days, the indolic jasmine kicks in and the first two hours smell like someone is burning rubber behind that gorgeous lilac bush... and pooped heavily nearby. However, mr f's bloodhound nose did not detect any poopiness even on those days so it might be due to the way my brain associates indoles. However, after the two-hour mark, it is pure lilac bliss...for straight ten hours!!! It turns a little powdery, but never goes to the thin toilet-freshener territory that too many wannabe-lilacs do.

A real gem and warmly recommended to lilac lovers, those who want to experiment with skanky fragrances but are not yet in Sarrasins phase, or anyone who has sniffed too many boring releases and wants to be positively surprised. Longevity is great, at least 10 hours, and sillage is very good (go easy on the dosing). My review is based on a dab sample, so I have no idea how this behaves when sprayed.
Finanna 8 years ago 4
Perfect beachy coconut
I don't like ozonic, aquatic or green scents and strong coconut gives me a headache so this was not a perfume I thought I'd fall in love with. I am glad I gave it a chance, though. From the bottle it smells very green and the first few minutes after application it is only sharpish greenness, no coconut whatsoever (at least not that horrible plasticky thing you smell in cheap body lotions).

In 20 minutes Coccobello slowly morphs into lovely beachy coconut. It is not sweet or overtly ozonic, just perfect greenish coconut with a hint of sweetness. It is quite linear which is not a bad thing because it is rather pleasant. It is not the most exciting perfume, but nevertheless a pleasure to wear in summer days.

I don't do seasons but somehow I am not able to wear it during winter. It needs some warmth to bloom. It has the similar seaside vibe as Womanity (minus fig and caviar/seaweed). Worth trying if you are looking for a summer scent, especially if you think you hate coconut or are one of the unlucky ones who would love Womanity but think it smells like female genitalia.
Finanna 8 years ago 2
Gateway to middle Eastern perfumery
Rose Nacree du Desert is Guerlain’s take on the classic rose-oud combination that is beautifully executed in many attars. I have been on a quest for The Perfect Dark Rose for a while and was lucky enough to obtain a two 5ml samples from my favourite Guerlain exclusives stockist.

The opening is a beautiful rose without the fresh citrus note that attar fans might expect. The perfume develops quite fast to warm, darker rose thanks to saffron and woody notes. Patchouli and saffron are not very obvious, they just add warmth and a hint of earthiness. On my skin oud and benzoin dominate the drydown. The rose lasts about 2h on my skin and is completely gone in 3h while the dark base lasts for ages. I would prefer a bit more rosy drydown and will stick to attars (and Lyric&Epic EDPs) in future.

I would recommend this to people who are interested in the middle Eastern influences in perfumery but do not like wearing oils or are afraid of the strength of Arabic perfumes. The oud in this one is not overtly animalic (very similar to Surrati's Tom Oud or Tom Ford's Oud Wood), but dirty enough to upset those with hygiene obssesion. If you like your roses clean, keep looking elsewhere:)
1 - 5 by 12