GewoonBBGewoonBB's Perfume Reviews

41 - 45 by 59
GewoonBB 2 years ago

Fat Electrician (@Nose.Knows.No.Notes)
• ETAT LIBRE D'ORANGE FAT ELECTRICAN •

Who doesn't want to smell like a fat electrician? I never smelled an Etat Libre d'Orange fragrance before, but they know how to grab attention with their naming.

Fat Electrician is a sweet and creamy vetiver. I was instantly reminded of the Carner Barcelona fragrances I sampled recently. Fat Electrician smells like a mix of Palo Santo and Ambar Del Sur to me. The opening is a bit nutty, because it includes a chestnut accord. In the first hours this is very sweet, maybe a bit too much for my liking. The sweetness has an almost animalic edge, that I never know how to describe, but it comes close to it being salty. That's the closest comparison I can come up with for the opening: a salted caramel ice cream with a crushed nuts topping. There's only a slight bit of green at first, that pushes through in the dry down, where the vetiver is more pronounced. I don't get the olive leaf note per se, but there's a distant green, almost grassy undertone. Combining that with a hint of smokiness, I guess I get why some people make the connection with marijuana in Fat Electrican, but I honestly don't think there's a strong resemblance.

Overall, it's an interesting composition. As with the aforementioned Carner fragrances, I enjoyed it, but there's something in this that keeps me from finding comfort in it. Fat Electrician is also a little too sweet for most occasions. I think I prefer the scent of Palo Santo, but I like this over Ambar Del Sur. The creaminess in the Etat Libre d'Orange elevates it texture wise. I do think that this is one of those fragrances that has the potential to grow on a person after multiple wears, so I'm curious to see how my sentiments develop while I go through my sample •

Please follow my IG @Nose.Knows.No.Notes for more reviews and fragrance photography.

The Dreamer (@Nose.Knows.No.Notes)
VERSACE THE DREAMER •

This is a tough one: Loved by many, hated by many. Especially the opening can be notoriously harsh and I can attest to that. Versace's The Dreamer arguably has the worst opening I've smelled in my journey so far.

To me, it smells like a powdery variant of nail polish remover. There's an overload of lavender and sage at first and sweetness from the vanilla joins the party, but it's caught in a strong, alcoholic, gluey cloud. It takes almost and hour for the harshness and the cleaning product vibe to fade away. After that, a pretty interesting tobacco note takes charge. Combined with the left-over vanilla, it becomes a nice scent that I enjoy wearing.

If you can get over the opening, this is actually a really unique fragrance, especially for the pricepoint (I picked up my 100ml bottle for 20€). The Dreamer is one of the most accurately named fragrances in my opinion. This is a fragrance that you wear for yourself, for artists, for creative people. I don't feel like this is a crowd pleaser and definitely not an office scent either. In my current rotation, The Dreamer won't get a lot of wears, but I do think it's worth a try, especially if you're looking to add a unique fragrance to a small collection, without spending a lot of money •

GewoonBB 2 years ago 1

Not A Perfume (@Nose.Knows.No.Notes)
• JULIETTE HAS A GUN NOT A PERFUME •

Not A Perfume is a one note fragrance by Julliette Has A Gun. In this case the single note is cetalox, which I understand is a very close relative to the more known ambroxan. A fragrance like this is great for layering, but it can also be worn on it's own. Cetalox gives off a clean, fresh linnen smell, that combined with body heat creates a subtle, but quite interesting blend.

I recently tried Escentric Molecule's Molecule 01, which is amongst the most popular one note fragrances (it only uses Iso E Super). For me personally, Not A Perfume was a bit more pleasant, with the downside being that it's definitely more feminine. Both use the combination of body heat and natural body odor to complete the fragrance (more so than regular perfumes), so I think the experience will differ quite a bit from person to person. Both Molecule 01 and Not A Perfume have a distinct, very light woody, maybe cardboard like scent, with an almost aquatic or ozonic freshness that fades away as it turns warmer and warmer and more cozy during the day. In my experience, the cetalox in Not A Perfume smelled cleaner and stronger. Wearing it equates to wearing freshly washed laundry, after using an overdose of deturgent. It's comforting to me, although it's something I'd mostly wear at home and not so much in public

I've tried layering Not A Perfume once, with Julliette Has A Gun's Vanilla Vibes. With equal sprays, Vanilla Vibes added, you guessed it, vanilla to the opening. Not A Perfume overtook it pretty quickly however, and I couldn't really get much of the Vanilla Vibes in the drydown •

Darley (@Nose.Knows.No.Notes)
• PARFUMS DE MARLY DARLEY •

Darley is one of the less spoken about Parfums de Marly offerings, but I found it to be quite the pleasant surprise. It opens with a bright bergamot, but immediately cinnamon kicks in. There are a lot of florals in Darley, but I would say they aren't very strongly represented. You get wafts of rose and lavender, but they are overpowered by an amber and tonka sweetness and cinnamon. The sweetness is balanced with mint (mainly in the opening).

Sandalwood in the base gives it a bit of creaminess, but texture wise, Darley feels more powdery, with a slight talc powder scent as well. I didn't have as strong of a baby powder connection with this one as I had with Pegasus, but it shares a resemblance. A lot of people compare this to Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male, which I only smelled in store, but on first impression, I don't think they are similar, aside from the powdery laundry detergent with sweetness combination. There's something in here, that I can't find in the notes, that saves this fragrance for me. I get hints of a slightly nutty and boozy accord, that sort of reminded me of a subtler YSL La Nuit De L'Homme. There also seems to be the tiniest bit of musk hidden underneath it all.

Overall, I liked this more than I expected based on the listed notes. Is it full bottle purchase worthy? For me personally, probably not. The pricing is a bit steep for the quality and performance that I experienced. And even though I enjoyed wearing it, Darley pales in comparison to Amouage's Reflection Man, which I would put in a similar category of scent profile •

GewoonBB 2 years ago

Panda (@Nose.Knows.No.Notes)
• ZOOLOGIST PANDA •

This impression is for the Extrait de Parfum that was released in 2017; I haven't tried the original Eau de Parfum, but from what I've heard they are quite different. The first thing that hit me when I sprayed Panda on my skin was the musk. Yes, it is fresh, fruity and green, but it's also very bitter. I doubt the bitterness is really noticable from a distance and it does fade after a while, but when smelled up close, there's an earthy, dirty scent underneath the freshness, that might put some people off. The civet note probably has some say in this as well. Aside from that, this should actually be a crowd pleasing fragrance. Apple is the main note here for me in the first hour, combined with some light florals that I wouldn't be able to distinguish. There's a hint of sweetness to the fruitiness as well, that reminded me of the sweetness that you can get from pineapple. I honestly don't get the tea note at all, which was a bit disappointing.

Longevity is good, but projection is really impressive, especially since the scent overall is light and ozonic. I enjoy the opening, but I'm not completely sold yet on drydown. The freshness of the fruits fades away and it leaves a (still relatively fresh) vegetal, floral and slightly earthy scent, with a healthy dose of sweetness. At the same time seems very aquatic or just plainly 'wet'. One thing I will say; this smells exactly how I would imagine (a panda eating) fruits in a sunny, damp tropical forest would smell. Now if you have a garden or a little greenhouse that smells like this, that would be awesome. It smells great, but I don't know if I like it as a perfume as much. In the drydown I oscillated between getting pleasant wafts and not being sure how I felt. When I woke up the next morning, the scent was still clearly present on my arm and I think I enjoyed the more subdued fragrance a bit more •

41 - 45 by 59