GreysolonGreysolon's Perfume Reviews

86 - 88 of 88
Greysolon 9 years ago 4

A summer rose
L'Ombre dans l'Eau is a cool, green, slightly watery rose fragrance that is excellent for hot summer days. The first time I wore it I had the impression of a bouquet of fresh, young roses wrapped in florist's greens and ferns. On my skin the cool, watery rose balances nicely with the green/fern accord and they coexist through the life of the fragrance. Another attribute that makes L'Ombre especially heat resistant is its light base. There are no dark accords or patchouli to weigh it down. Its amber/musk base stays shear and transparent.

Many men might think of L'Ombre as leaning toward the feminine side of unisex. But if you give it a chance, the green/fern accord keeps L'Ombre within the range of what most men would consider unisex. Actually, I think if you're a guy wearing Diptyque's most popular offering, Philosykos, you will find L'Ombre remarkably similar and just as wearable.

Greysolon 9 years ago 6

Concentre de Pamplemousse Rose=CPR for hot, humid weather
Concentre de Pamplemousse Rose has become my favorite summer fragrance. The realistically tart, sour grapefruit scent is so invigorating and rejuvenating in hot, humid weather. The sensation spritzing on CPR is nearly identical to cutting the rind of a grapefruit and getting an olfactory blitz of mouth watering citrus oils. Don't worry, the grapefruit will mellow into the rest of the fragrance. But, if your experience is like mine, as you catch a whiffs of CPR over the course of the day you'll feel refreshed by the pleasantly tart and sour grapefruit notes. It really does have a mouth watering effect.

Even though CPR is more about grapefruit than rose I'm always pleasantly surprised when my wife tells me how much she likes the rose note in it. I wish the rose was slightly more present but it's there along with a dry vetiver/cedar accord.

If you're a fan of Terre d'Hermes you'll probably like Pamplemousse Rose. Just be sure to try the Concentre because the cologne formulation doesn't really have much longevity. However, if you're an Iso E super/Terre de Hermes hater or don't care much for grapefruit, you probably won't like CPR.

Greysolon 9 years ago 8

Back home in Minnesota
The sappy, resinous pine notes of Fille en Aiguilles take me back to my childhood in northern Minnesota. My friends and I would spend hours climbing pine trees which resulted in having the smell of pine tar and sap all over our hands. As Fille en Aiguilles develops it also takes on a wonderful, campfire smokiness which is reminiscent of canoe trips along the Canadian border.

Actually, the smoky aspect of the fragrance maybe challenging for some. I've heard its onset described as the 'burnt sugar' accord. It shows up not long after application and is a sort of a resinous, burned sugar aroma. However, any perceived unpleasantness in this accord appears early on and ends up sublimated into the rest of the fragrance as a pleasant smokiness.

One other note about Fille en Aiguilles. It is a fragrance with a strong personality. I don't wear it often but when I do, I find my mood needs to be in synch with the natural environment. Whether it's the time of year, the quality of sunlight, or a cold, overcast snowy day I need to feel as though Fille en Aiguilles is helping me blend into the natural temperament of the day.

86 - 88 of 88