HugoMontezHugoMontez's Perfume Reviews

41 - 45 by 48
HugoMontez 2 years ago 2

My first love
As we know, the first love is never forgotten. I remember the first time I smelled this one and being blown away. At the time, I only had 90's Springfield, Pull And Bear and Don Algodón. This one seemed very complex and sexy. And, in fact, it is. I felt in love and used 3 bottles of it.

Boss is a house that doesn't stand out in the community but they have some solid fragrances. The original Boss Number One is a great patchouli-tobacco scent with some sweetness. In the same vein as Givenchy Gentleman. And the original Hugo (1995) is a good fresh apple-mint scent, when fresh apples and mint used to be innovative.

But then, Annick Ménardo appear and change the fragrance world with a classical but original way of perfumery. She had already created some good examples with sweet-resinous mandarin oranges in Roma Uomo (1992) and spicy fresh oriental with Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (1995). But her first big success was, perhaps, this Boss. Originally named as Boss, and known as N⁰6 (sixth masculine from the house), was a big success due to his original combination between fresh apples and oriental-spicy cinnamon-vanilla.

It starts out with a green apple note mixed with cinnamon and after 10min or so, I detect geranium which gives a floral freshness to the fragrance. And it's probably the most important note in this composition. Balances the fruity opening with the sweet oriental notes. As soon as we reach the drydown, the vanilla and some woodiness join the mix and the composition turns more warm and cozy. A beautiful spicy-sweet apple. I get great longevity (12+ hours) with moderate projection for the first hour. Mid 00's bottle.

One of the most versatile, sexy and unique fragrances out there. It's pretty much a classic, nowadays. The performance of the newer bottles aren't that great thanks to Coty, but for the price and the smell itself, i think it's decent. Nonetheless, it's a great fragrance and a really special one for me.
3/5

HugoMontez 2 years ago 2

Woody spicy goodness!
This fragrance is a classic already. I always loved this one since the beginning of my journey. The funny thing with this one is that during these years i've been able to catch more facets on this masculine fragrance.

First of all, this starts very fresh and peppery. Orange and black pepper right on your nostrils. Along with those notes you will have Iso E Super. A super long lasting aroma chemical that has a woody clean aspect. This will be your companion over the entire duration of this fragrance. The grapefruit is there too, giving a more bittersweet and so called bitter orange accord. After one hour, the Vetiver will appear. It's not a soapy Vetiver (like Guerlain Vetiver) neither dark (Lalique Encre Noire), is more fresh like fresh cut wood due to the Iso E Super. In the drydown there's a cedar note that is very encapsulated with the other woody notes and makes this a more masculine yet alluring scent. The performance is great. I get 10-12h with good sillage for the first 3-4h. A contemporary masterpiece that doesn't follow the sweet trend. Just wants to be masculine and timeless. 5/5

HugoMontez 3 years ago 2

Floyd the Barber
Imagine a barbershop. A classic one. The smell of barber products is very characteristic. They have a green, spicy, fresh and kinda mossy smell. This is the smell of that but in a sexy way. Azzaro pour Homme created this genre but is more focused on anise and lavender. This is a twist and a "modern" (for 2003) interpretation of that.

Rive Gauche it is. An excellent fresh spicy lavender fragrance. When I smelled it for the first time I was immediately taken back to an old barbershop and the smell of shaving cream foam and hair gel. It smells like that for sure but with a touch of sophistication/sexyness.

The main player here is the anise-geranium-lavender combination that create this strong aromatic bitterness and slightly sweet specially in the drydown. In the drydown there's hints of vetiver, patchouli but, specially, guaiac wood, which gives a more rounded and almost creamy vibe. A great finalle!

A really good fragrance for work and for the spring-summer time. It has decent performance (7-8h) and created a gorgeous aura around you. It's essencially a more refined and modern take on Azzaro, which is a masterpiece.

Unfortunately, discontinued, and even the reformulated (but still great) version is already discontinued. If you find a good deal on this, i urge you to buy because it's a really good experience. It's not a masterpiece, neither revolutionary in any way, although it bring back the barbershop type of smell to the table with a refreshing and appealing concept. It manages to be a perfect balance between classic and contemporary.

We have to get credit to the master perfumer Jacques Cavallier, who created such great gems like M7, Opium pour Homme, L'eau D'Issey pour homme or even Aqva Amara, to name a few.

The last great barbershop, perhaps. Invasion Barbare is probably the last great one but this is more easy going and unpretentious. A must!

4/5

HugoMontez 3 years ago 3

Conforting rubber
The discontinuation of this little gem made me bought a bottle. I remember smelling this one back when I started my journey in 2015 and liking it, but, at the time i bought the, also discontinued, Midnight in Paris and though that this would be a redundant purchase.

4 years later, I purchased it just to see if this is really that similar and because it could had been the last opportunity before prices go up. I'm a huge Annick Ménardo fan and this fragrance is really one of their best creations, imo.

There's not much transition or movement in this composition. It starts off with a rubber accord that combines tea leafs, bergamot and leather, and after an hour, this accord starts to mellow out and the vanilla became more pronounce. It has the MiP vibe but, imo, the result is more convincing here. Instead of tonka and rosemary, this one has vanilla and a stronger rubber note, although this is more linear.

All in all, this is an excellent scent and I'm glad that I have a bottle. Completely unisex and excellent for mild and cold days or nights.
Longevity is pretty good. I get 10 plus hours on my skin, but the projection is very moderate in the first 2 hours and close to the skin in the rest of the lifetime.

4/5

HugoMontez 3 years ago 2

Heavenly Oud
Well, I have to say that this one surprised me. I thought this would be a very easy to wear with no Oud in here but, surprisingly, this has a little bit of that skanky Oud in the background, which is quite good, to be honest.

When you spray this you'll be able to smell the rose with some bergamot and a shy tea note. Love this unisex fresh opening! 10min later the tea will dominate the fragrance and the leather accord appears. There's a good accord here. Like the one you'll find in Black from the same brand or even Midnight in Paris but without the rubber note. Excellent!
The Oud is there basically since the tea starts to shine. Is giving a skanky yet sexy vibe and later on, the fragrance turns a little bit yummy. It's complex and has the three stages very well achieved! The Oud isn't potent (which for those who don't like it is good and for lovers it's pleasant too) but isn't that synthetic so I really appreciate it. Bravo Mr. Jacques Cavallier! Heavenly!

The performance is not beastly. It's suave but I love it that way. I get 7+ hours although with low projection. It's comforting and I love to wear it on a breezy spring/summer nights.

The price is very adequate and you can find a 75ml bottle for less than 50€. The quality is great too!

I recommend it to everyone that likes Rose-Oud combos with a twist. It's different enough thanks to that Tea note.

41 - 45 by 48