KingPinKingPin's Perfume Reviews

1 - 10 of 14

05/09/2019
The name is carefully chosen, it has exactly that relaxed feel that you have after a day in the sun. I had not read about it before I tried it, and when read the notes description it is EXACTLY the ones I got. Citrus/mandarin, Neroli, Jasmine, some light musk and a sweet, sugery candy note, perfectly split and getting 1/6 of the attention each. It is very summery, light and pleasant.

After a few hours the citrus accords dries down a bit in favour of the musk and cotton candy. The musk is light and easy, not the dirty heavy type.

It is well made, but not in any way revolutionary, even if the cotton candy gives it a slight difference compared to other similar scents. It reminds me quite a bit of Atelier Cologne's Bergamote Soleil, but the slightly bitter tone tone in Bergamote Soleil is swapped out for sweet candy, and the musk is more airy and light in Byredos offering. I like Byredo better.

It's nice and pleaseant, great for summer and has reasonably good longevity for a summer citrus, but if you are financially interested you can find similar offerings at much better prices. Maybe without the cotton candy, but for the money you save you can buy some real cotton candy instead perhaps.

03/27/2019
1 Awards
This is the cleanest scent ever produced! It never goes into sharp, synthetic or "cleaning products” as is often the case with “clean” scents, this is clean as in purity. It’s like walking into a spotless room in a Mediterranean villa, high ceiling, light wooden floors, white walls and white linen curtains gently moving from a silent warm wind coming from the open windows. The only pice of furniture is a bed, made with newly washed linen. Harmony, silence, relaxation.

It is a heliotrope accompanied by an iris without the earthy tones and musk without the animalistic notes, and the coldness of these notes balanced with honey. No notes are allowed to break the almost transparent purity.

I find it quite linear, the first hours are followed by a slight increase in the musk note, but not by much.

This is what happens when Ellena takes a step back from the spice rack - a masterpiece! This is not at all like the overpeppered Voyage d’Hermes or Terre d'Hermes.

I’d say this is predominantly a woman’s scent, so I will give it to my wife so that I can steal it. Because have it I must!

03/22/2019
The introduction is exactly like walking into a newly constructed fiberglass sailboat. There is nothing other than the scent of new plastic, epoxy and synthetic resin curing. A bit later you receive a delivery of a bouquet of fresh pine branches and roses, but you still remain on that damn boat. After a few hours you are let out of the boat, and the bouquet of pine and rose is complemented with eucalyptus and peppery cedar. A very nice ending, but the boat trip ruins the ride.

03/20/2019
Starts with a short blast of citrus - lemon, petitgrain and some bergamot. Not a classic sweet citrus, rather a sour true lemon scent. Then it takes a wierd detour via smelling like a combination of sour green notes combined with a real old lady’s soap, then we turn back to citrus with some woody notes which are rather pleasant. This is a strange aromachem perfume.

03/17/2019
Starts off with classic lemon/bergamot and some very faint pepper, quite zesty but a bit synthetic. After that a strong, sharp, harsh and synthetic cardemom, geranium and spice concoction gradually takes over. The spicy notes reminds me of Voyage d’Hermes, a perfume I find ruined by the overindulged grabs from the spice rack. However, this one has a more synthetic base, which makes it worse. After several hours we are left with som standard but nice balsam/sandal notes. This is not a Ferrari, they have simply slapped the badge on a Dacia Logan hoping that it should work. It doesn’t.

03/16/2019
My first impression was a very pleasant and fresh summer scent. However, my wife tried it later that evening, and immediately says “Herbal medicine”. Then I get an instant inner image of soft echinacea chew tablets used in Sweden to prevent getting colds. The taste is not awful, but special and herb:y. I hadn’t made that connection before that, but now I can’t kick the impression. From great summer scent to chewy cold remedy in one second flat. I’m a bit angry with her. Changing rating from 8.5 to 6.0 :-(

03/16/2019
1 Awards
The idea that a car maker should make perfume is so kitschy and ridiculous that I really like it! They just slap on their logo on something they have absolutely no competitive advantage in, and they don’t manufacture anything in it on their own. It’s in the league of Louis Vuitton making an affordable dishwasher, which I would immediately buy (if the quality was on par with the rest of the crop) just to annoy people.

This being stated I must say that the people that made this for Ferrari did a good and satisfactory job. The beginning is a bit weaker than the end, with quite solitary citrus leaning towards bergamot that has a slightly synthetic aura. After the bergamot it’s a very pleasant neroli. I’d say it’s somewhat more like the neroli in 4711 than in Tom Fords Portofino, but not by much. Longevity is in between those two.

Given the price I’d say it’s a solid buy if you’re looking for neroli.

03/14/2019
Starts off with a two minute lemon explosion, dry and refreshing. After that it turns to the EXACT combination of Tom Ford’s Neroli Portofino Acqua and Clean for Men (the original one, not the abomination called “Classic”). Powdery neroli and citrus. This is not at all a bad scent, it is fresh and summery, perfect for a walk down the Croisette in Cannes. A tad flowery and feminine for other locations and times of year. Imaginative and groundbreaking it is not, many similar options are out there.

03/12/2019
4 Awards
Not for the novice. The first hours it is the scent of of Count Dracula, slowly moving through a cellar cemetery in an abandoned castle at midnight. Silvery moonlight through iron gated ceiling windows, tiny, sad irises observable in the windows edge. Dirt and old molding leaves on the ground. He stops moving, only his scent still lingers in the air.

After two hours we are still in his castle, but he has left the basement for the main hall. Abandoned, with a broken roof, silent rain drips from the night sky above. Now perhaps Count Dracula's nephew can wear the perfume, it has morphed into a younger dirty and ice cold iris smell.

After yet another two hours we go outside into an oak forest. The sun finally rises, but is covered by a wet, grey fog. It gives eerie shodows on the path we walk. As we continue through the cold, damp, mossy forest we still se irises peeking in the shadows. Finally I can wear the scent, it is now the perfume of a mere mortal. If you wear a cape.

Impossible to rate.

03/11/2019
1 Awards
When I was about ten/eleven years old in the early 80-ies I was living on the coast of the Swedish archipelago. Our greatest adventure was going alone with friends on the train to Stockholm. It is only 45 minutes, but it felt like a faraway trip to another world. You had no cellphones in those days, so you were truly on your own. The trains were old, probably over 20 years, in brown metal with wooden panels inside, and a bordeaux/dark grey striped velvety padding on the very upright seats. We usually did these trips in summer, so the windows were down so that you could catch the breeze in the otherwise steaming carriages.

The trains were as mentioned very old, and were built for transport, not comfort. The brakes were metal-on-metal, so the breaking was a screechy affair. As the train braked on these dusty summer days there was a distinct smell of burnt metal and dust. As smell of the iron in blood, smoke, gravel dust and cold steel. This is the EXACT opening scent of “Dry Wood”, combined with a bit of bay leaf (after an initial flash of citrus).

After about an hour or two the bay leaf takes over with hints of fresh pepper. Interestingly enough, in Sweden you use bay leaf in the water when boiling hot dogs, so my trip goes from train adventures to sailing camp in the archipelago. Boiled hotdogs were a staple lunch for the crews, hungry as wolves after hours on the sea, and the bay leaf scent was a blessing since it signified an upcoming feast of hot dogs in bread with ketchup and mustard.

Even though I thoroughly enjoyed these trips down memory lane, I must admit that smelling like train breaks and hot dog water with pepper is probably not going to be my signature scent.

1 - 10 of 14