LicoriceRainLicoriceRain's Perfume Reviews

...
1 - 10 of 57

03/15/2016
Still Life in Rio is warm and spicy, despite the opening citrus. I always loved the smell of chili peppers. DEFINITELY worth sampling. A new favorite. Reminds me of Chanel's Allure Pour Homme.

02/22/2016
Okay, I ordered blind because it was so cheap (inexpensive), and here is what I think about it. For a fragrance titled after roses, there's nothing "pretty" about it. Or even feminine. But definitely sweaty, like hot summer sweat. My first reaction was, "This is a cumin bomb", but cumin isn't listed, and since I'm not familiar with the actual cumin spice, I can't really say what it smells like, except I honestly cannot discern any single notes. In fact, Rose Noire Black is quite linear. And I don't say, "linear" as an insult, it simply means it is well-blended. And for the price, I could certainly do a lot worse. If I HAD to nail it down and say RNB "smells like", I would have to say it's a weaker version of Xeryus Rouge. A much weaker, and far more tolerable version because, to me, Xeryus Rouge has a truly "rotten" vibe to it that I find repulsive. But Rose Noire Black isn't bad, although it requires several sprays, and is better on fabric. This may not be very office-friendly, but I will probably be wearing it often because I think I like it.

12/20/2015
A Xeryus Rouge clone. I'm not sure I have ever smelled another fragrance that was so exactly the same as another.

08/21/2015
2 Awards
I don’t usually care for anything rose-scented, but lately, after reading about the new Carolina Herrera fragrance Burning Rose, I decided to search for something featuring rose and patchouli. Rose Anonyme has more OUD than patchouli, so that’s a big minus in my book. (Not everybody is crazy about oud!) I was hoping that patchouli would be blended well enough that the rose note wasn’t so noticeable, but it’s very noticeable, and the oud (and possibly the patchouli) cause it to smell a bit like coffee. Yes, that’s exactly what it smells like to me, roses and coffee. Well, this might be nice for many, but I am one of the few people who doesn’t like the smell of coffee. As with ALL Atelier Colognes I have sampled so far, I am left wanting more. Even my favorite Atelier, Mistral Patchouli, seems muddled, and off.

08/11/2015
1 Awards
First I want to say I have never been a fan of amber, but I wanted to try a Baldessarini fragrance, and Ambré was the only one available on the website where I shop. Plus, it features an apple note, which I like. My first impression is it smells like some kind of cola. Not unpleasant, but definitely cola-scented. Apple-amber cola. If it weren’t for the apple and mandarin orange top notes, and possibly the violet middle note, it wouldn’t appeal to me at all. I can see why people like Ambré, but it really isn’t my type of fragrance. Strong amber scents give me a headache. The apple note is nice, but for me, Ambré is a headache in a bottle.

08/09/2015
3 Awards
First of all, Rouge Bvlgari has NONE of the notes that I don't generally like (tobacco, leather, amber, or vanilla), but it has tea, fig, pink pepper, and orange notes that I prefer. And as another reviewer said, it smells hot! Very rouge/red. There's nothing about this to NOT like. In fact, it has already earned it's place on my "love" shelf. I just got my 2ml sample Friday and have already almost used it all up, such an addictive smell. And so perfectly unisex. I don't say this too often about any fragrance, but Rouge Bvlgari is certainly worth buying a full bottle.

08/07/2015
2 Awards
Cedrat Boise smells like quality, but there’s something in there I find unpleasant. I like the notes listed, most of them: bergamot, lemon, I love black currant, and I don’t have a problem with jasmine, patchouli, sandalwood, cedar, leather, moss, musk (unless overdone), or vanilla (unless overdone), so I don’t know what is so harsh and offensive to my nose except it must be one (or more) of the spices in the “spicy notes” accord. As I said, it smells like quality, but will never be a personal favorite. Aoud Black Candy also smelled like quality, but not a favorite because of that amber, which I can only tolerate in small doses. Definitely a “try before you buy” fragrance.

08/07/2015
1 Awards
Such an understated name, Background, which appeals to me a little, but maybe a little TOO understated. I mean, who would want to try and/or buy this based on such a boring name? I personally think a name can make or break a fragrance. Maybe this has something to do with it being discontinued? But anyway, as I read the notes, I now realize it has quite a bit of anise, which I didn’t recognize during my first wearing, although I love the smell of licorice. It’s nice, but not Full Bottle worthy. As others have said, it does remind me of Noxema, but also has a slight COLA vibe, maybe a raspberry cola. (I love a raspberry note, if done right.) Nice enough, but my humble opinion is Background is a bit muddled, with too many unnecessary notes. It’s alright, but I think it needs to stay in the… background.

07/24/2015
I am in-between ordering samples, so I decided to wear Spark again, from 2003, found in my closet. For a cheapie, it has a lot of character. Seriously, Spark for Men is not bad, but watered-down, very weak. For a better-quality fragrance, if you want the same vibe minus all that rum, you might want to try Comme des Garcons Harissa.

07/08/2015
I want to say first that I’m not familiar with Jean Paul Gaultier, and I have never worn any of his fragrances before now. I’ve never tried the original Kokorico flanker, which sounds very dry and interesting, but when I heard Kokorico by NIGHT features cocoa and rhubarb together, I HAD to sample. (I won’t take time to explain my fascination with that tart smell of rhubarb, I don’t really understand it myself. All I know is, to me, it smells healthy.) But Kokorico by Night, as somebody else already said, smells like La Nuit by YSL. After wearing for awhile, off-and-on for a few days, on skin AND clothes, I have to agree. And I have decided Kokorico by Night isn’t unique enough or fascinating enough to hold my interest. That nice, tart rhubarb opening doesn’t last through drydown. Honestly, KbN reminds me TOO much of YSL La Nuit, which I consider headache-inducing. Nothing bad about KbN, but nothing special, either.

...