MatuxMatux's Perfume Reviews

1 - 5 of 25
Matux 13 days ago 2

Old but not outdated
First of all: this review is for Canoe, but it can apply to Pinaud's Clubman, they are almost the same. As far as fragheads go, Pinaud's has kept its qualities through time, while Canoe did not. As per my experience, this is true.

Now, as to the blend (both'), its floral and herbal qualities are evident to the nose, in that sense, no one can complain as to lack of complexity, floral topnotes morphing into a very discreet kind of sweetness.

Something that gets my attention is that the composition does not feel dated, at least to my nose; something that does not happen with other classics, like Guerlain's Vetiver or Knize 10. Maybe it is because it is very original, it is not something easily found somewher else - not the case being a common pattern in perfumery, in which one is the inspiration of many others, if not blatant copies. Yes, Canoe and Pinaud are almost identical, but that is where things end. As far as I know, Creed did not come up with its own version.

A mistery lurks behind this; what would happen if there were not any reference to its origins? What would happen if no one could refer Canoe with a blend launched in the 1930's? Would it be considered a breakthrough?

I am sure it would.

Not for blind buying, unless you do not care spending pennies.

Matux 3 months ago 3

Fast forward trip to soapy bliss
Pun intended.

It does have the resemblances mentioned ad nauseam, however, as a reference. A very difficult concept to explain - the notes are analogous but the development is not, the general feeling is different: creamier, balsamic, lactonic.

It is complex, it shows its different facets as time goes by. It has very decent projection and longevity, one of those that goes along the day allowing for good company for the day. At the end of the day you get the sopay - clean sensation mentioned in the title, which, for me, is a good thing.

Five sprays of this and two of Terre D'Hermes makes a perfect combination.

Matux 3 months ago 1

Sweet sweet sweet
No doubt it is.

Initial notes are complex, still, there are notes quite difficult to identify, I would describe them as sweet fruits with some gourmand notes (I am thinking of raspberries with "caramel liquid" - this noun in French), some musks of the balmy, soft kind, far from animalic.

The development carries on along the same complexity, limited by the composition's longevity - twenty to thirty minutes from application it settles down to what it seems persistent light sweet cotton candy accords - if cotton candy smells tangy to the nose, be assure I can get the same feeling while trying to describe the composition.

Common sense tells me that if the wearer is not happy with M's longevity, he or she can apply more. The idea seems far from good: If I were the wearer doing that I would feel like having spread real cotton candy on my chest.

As a matter of fact, I can imagine a 30 year old woman smelling M on her. I think it would fit her.

Interesting sweet smell, not something worth having, IMHO.

BTW, I got a light headache after sniffing this.

Matux 3 months ago 1

Light, traditional, old school chypre
The reference that comes to mind is Balmain de Balmain.

Analogies are limited by the fact Balmain is stronger in the topnotes because of the presence of spices, while Quartz is softer along notes of traditional EdC's, namely, the bergamot, grapefruit zest, mandarin and lemon.

Mid notes are marked by soft powdery accords that could be the result of the presence of iris; at this time of the blend's development projection is quite toned down, as corresponds to its limited longevity.

In my case I got the bottle from my wife, given as a gift by her Mother. She did not wanted to wear it because of negative associations, she described it as "a dated compossition to be worn by old women". I decided to keep it as a curiosity, not only because I wanted to know what chypres were like, also because I think scents of this family of blends could be worn with discretion along a traditional citrus aromatic during the Summer time. As tested, they can be layered with excelent results.

Matux 3 months ago 3

Rise and shine
The initial sensation is that of a stronger EdC, the neroli is easily identifiable; from then on the blend is all about flowers in a good way, for those than do not care about the way compositions can betray times gone bye.

The blend has very good projection, its longevity is limited - it could be the best option right after shaving, it is very appropriate for the beginning of the day.

I can imagine an older man using this as a way to remember his father's mornings before heading to work, however I can also imagine a young man choosing this one as some kind of statement. Make sure the wearer will stand out from the sea of men smelling of the usual suspects when it comes to aromatic molecules marketed under famous gobal brands.

1 - 5 of 25