MeetjoeblackMeetjoeblack's Perfume Reviews

1 - 5 of 9
Meetjoeblack 1 year ago 3

And the award for most known bottle in the 90's goes to...
90's fresh scents like this, Cool Water and Tommy had more of air of being grounded in the earth and masculine than the modern fresh which is all but androgynous and sometimes a little too sweet, like the best sellers of today such as Versace Man Eau Fraiche and Lucky Brand's Lucky You. I like the 90's batch not only for the nostalgia but also for the quality. Fresh accords balanced out with wood and fir in the base that give it masculinity and gravity. I think there are better choices out there for the same price point, sure, but this scent and bottle will always be iconic for people of a certain generation. I can also confirm that the longevity issues with the EDT are here corrected in the EDP. Unfortunately I can't say the same level of progress was made with the sillage, although this is definitely better as well.

Meetjoeblack 2 years ago 3

American Gigolo
As others have mentioned, for some reason Legend may smell different the first time you are exposed to it, as opposed to repeated regular wearing. I made a dumb move and bought a 5.1 oz jug after sniffing a test pullout in GQ magazine (this is usually a safe bet for me, but went horribly wrong this time). For some reason at the time it was sold out everywhere, even online, so I thought, wow, this must be some special stuff to be in such high demand! Hence the 5.1 oz, where I usually purchase 3.4 oz / 100 mL max, as this is all I was able to finally track down at a somewhat fair price at Lord & Taylor here in the States. It smells very different in person and throughout the day, and not good. The lingering smell when it dries on my garments is worse still. A very oily and sickly sweet affair that attempts to be spiritual and uplifting but winds up capturing the essence of an insecure gigolo.

To me, its only redeeming quality are those fleeting moments when I catch a faint whiff of the original Invictus DNA off in the distance. As with any fragrance, I'm sure some will still like it, but I would say proceed with caution, and even if you do, light on the trigger with this EDP.

Meetjoeblack 2 years ago 3

Great Bang for the Buck
A very "old school" scent and tremendous value for the money as it is dirt cheap. Extremely sharp opening. An easy buy for when you are in the mood; I used to like to apply it fresh after the gym. Definitely not for today's youths or mass-appealing.

Meetjoeblack 2 years ago 2
0.5

Allergic
Sporty fragrance with a very Italian twist of the low-class variety. I'm not sure why, but I was hoping for something more generic and mass appealing, for days at the gym where I just want to blend in and smell clean. Instead, it smells like a character from the TV show "Sopranos" in a burgundy Adidas velvet track suit, on their way to shake down some shop owner or someone with a gambling debt. Unfortunately, I also found myself allergic to some ingredient in here, not violently so but enough to be uncomfortable. It makes my eyes itch and water a bit and dampens my breathing. Due to this, I will be giving it away to the local Goodwill on my next visit.

Meetjoeblack 2 years ago 2

An original Canadian gem, now discontinued...
For those who don't know, Roots is a major clothing brand in Canada that celebrates the national spirit, similar in a way to Dunhill in the UK and Ralph Lauren in the States. While most of these kinds of brands and shops offer a fragrance, Roots no longer does. This particular fragrance was very inexpensive in its time but is getting more expensive because it has since been discontinued. At its core it is similar to any branded fragrance you could pick up at certain shops in the mall like Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, and Lucky Brand, with a tuned-up shower gel sort of aura. Roots is a bit better than these because its adds an element of dirt, leaves, and what I could best describe as Canadian lakes and mountains. I dislike that it wears very close to the skin (i.e. very poor sillage) and only gives a few hours of mileage. Overall I like it because I grew up in Canada and it has nostalgic value, but for the objective fragrance lover I think it would just be an okay scent, nothing more. I do hope that Roots releases fragrances once again. With such a large distribution chain and significant brand awareness, at least in-country, I don't doubt that it would be an easy money maker for them.

1 - 5 of 9