OdysseusOdysseus' Perfume Reviews

1 - 5 of 7
Odysseus 1 day ago

The REAL "Poseidon's Elixir"!
Silencethesea is more than just a perfume... It is a concept, a feeling, a memory. It is art in a bottle.

The ambergris used in this scent creates a fragrance profile you would expect from such a rare and precious ingredient: Salty, musky, slightly sweet with a hint of tobacco leaf, leather-like and possessing an animalic marine scent. The use of the word "aquatic" here does not refer to the usual ingredients that give a fragrance a distinctively fresh, clean, translucent and airy scent. "Aquatic" in this case refers to the deep, dark depths of the ocean. If you've ever been on a cruise ship, in the middle of the ocean, you know what I'm talking about...

What makes silencethesea so special is the apparent ability it gives us to summon, on command, the immense and unstoppable feeling of the power of the sea! In the process, much like Poseidon, it turns us into gods as we become in total control of one of the Four Elements of Nature.

Is it a beautiful scent? It depends: sometimes it is and other times it can be overbearing. I love it for the memories it brings back of visiting my grandparents every summer, in the Mediterranean Sea. Regardless of whether you like this perfume or not, one thing is undeniable: it will make you FEEL something, and to me THAT is art!

"Wearing silencethesea is a modern olfactory adventure like none other, provoking a deeply primal, hypnotic effect." - strangelove nyc website

Odysseus 9 months ago 1

You had me at "Non-IFRA compliant!"
Mr. Meleg describes this best on his own product page. Rather than try to come up with a partial explanation that falls short of this perfume's glory, I'd like to share his thoughts and vision directly:

"Because it (No 40) is so thick and so rich and complex it is something like an Indian Attar. It takes effort on the part of the wearer to unravel it`s complexity and mystery. Because there are so many natural balsams and resins in this perfume, filtering Oakmoss & Forest Florals takes me nearly an entire day!

I had a fantasy landscape in mind when crafting my "Oakmoss & Forest Florals, No 40"

I see a large pacific northwest rainforest. Like the one I live next to. Stanley Park.
Think if the forests of Oregon, of Washington and British Columbia, Canada.
A very dark, wet and foggy rainforest with giant evergreens cedars and redwoods.

The forest smells of mosses and cedar. There are hills and mountains along the horizon, mist and fog everywhere and not too far off you can smell the ocean. You can smell the salt water, the cold wet rocks and the seaweed.

Looking down, the floor is dark and covered with mushrooms, ferns and moss is everywhere! Everywhere!
Every surface is wet, the rocks are wet, the ground is moist and the air is cold - super clean and fresh and it`s foggy. The sky is dark, and what light that does get through if filtered through the trees. Dark yellow and green.

And in this misty place, there is of all things, an abandoned citrus orchard.
The farmer died years ago, his kids never took it over. 50 years of neglect, the lemon trees hanging on for dear life.

The orchard is flooded in dark brackish waters. Cold mineral waters turned black from all of the rotting leaves. The air bright and fresh with lemon as they blow in the cool ocean wind. You can smell the fruit, you can smell jasmine vines and a wild rose bush not too far off either!

This is exactly what my Oakmoss & Forest Florals smells like. It is woody, and it is very much dark oak moss. It is also very earthy and salty and nearly aquatic. Damp. At the same time this dark salty earth accord blends SO WELL with the bright citrus notes. Think about salted lemon ice tea. Refreshing and bright. Roses and jasmine appears as my Oakmoss & Forest Florals dries down."

This natural chypre is a proud addition to my collection and of the 3 perfumes from this house that I've worn, I would say this is so far my personal favourite.

Keep sniffing!

Odysseus 23 months ago

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?
The first time I tried this, I thought it was magnificent. The second time it seemed too "chemical" or synthetic and induced a headache. What was I thinking? I decided to give it a third chance because I know that fragrances can smell different depending on our mood. I liked it again...

There's only one other compelling perfume that can give me a headache, at times, smell like a chemical mess and at other times be completely irresistible: Xerjoff's Alexandria II! That's when I realized these two scents are VERY similar because they share so many notes throughout their composition: Top Notes - lavender, rosewood, Heart Notes - rose, Base Notes - oud, sandalwood.

I love/hate both of these, depending on who shows up: Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde?

Odysseus 2 years ago 3

Perfume as Art.
Aranyaka is not a perfume, but a magical green hypnotic potion. This perfume is truly art! I get a strong wet, damp soil note at the very beginning. As the perfume evolves, the luscious green forest accords become prominent. The resins root the wearer in a meditative state, with the soft animalic notes offering the warm comfort of spirit guides offering their protection on a spiritual journey.

This is not a "crowd pleaser" type of scent and if you've only experienced designer fragrances you may not appreciate its beauty. However, it is still very wearable. Although this is an Extrait de Parfum, it doesn't last for enless hours on my skin (on clothes is a different story). I get about 6-8 hours with good sillage, which is more than enough for what it accomplishes with me.

The ingredients are top quality and blended masterfully together, transporting the wearer to another world or realm. I thank Dr. Rajesh Balkrishnan for sending me a sample of this intoxicating fragrance and for allowing me to experience its beauty. His collaboration with Pryn Parfum has produced a wonderful olfactory experience!

A note from the brand - "Aranyakas is a term that refers to the philosophy behind ritual sacrifice of the ancient Indian sacred texts, the Vedas. Aranyakas describe and discuss rituals from various perspectives, but some include philosophical speculations. Aranyaka literally means “produced, born, relating to a forest” or “belonging to the wilderness”. It is derived from the root Aranya, which means “forest, wilderness”. This perfume, created as a Bespoke Signature Perfume by Prin Lomros of PRYN PARFUM for Rajesh Balkrishnan, represents the essence of the vibes derived from both Indian forests and the Vedic texts. Containing a high percentage of natural plant extracts with woods, incense, earthy and animals accords, this bold, dense, and spiritually radiant Indian Vedic period vibe hitherto unseen in modern perfumery. The perfume evokes the natural forest vibe of the Vedic period (c. 1500 - c. 500 B.C.) where the ancient Hindu texts such as the Vedas and Upanishads as well as mythological treatises such as Ramayana and Mahabharata were written. The greenish resinous and earthy scent contains a very high percentage of natural cypress absolute with more than 60% of natural absolute and resin. The perfume concentration is of 35% perfume oil (considered pure perfume concentration. The imagery evoked is that of a forest with trees and wet soil and animals lurking in the background with incense emanating from Vedic sacrificial fires."

Odysseus 2 years ago 3

As Good As It Gets!!! (For Oud Lovers ONLY)
I am rarely moved enough by a perfume to write a review about it. Extreme Oud by Kilian is one of those rare fragrances that makes me believe, even if it's only for a while, that my quest for that "one" perfect scent is finally over! Although we all know such a thing doesn't exist, we still hope that some day we will find it. Refined noses can't settle on a signature scent: there are different seasons, various times in a day, diverse moods and many distinct life occasions to limit ourselves to JUST one perfume.

Calice Becker has delivered an oud fragrance that is very reminiscent of ASAQ's Kings Blend. I'm surprised this has received low ratings by some fellow members, but then again I need to remind myself that I have spent the last five years sniffing hundreds of ouds, natural and synthetic, to develop an acquired taste and to appreciate its endless nuances.

Extreme Oud is made of rich, dark Cambodian oud. Cambodian agarwood is highly sought after, for its hypnotic and tranquilizing aroma. It is ideal for scenting oneself and for those times when you just want to relax. The first wisps of smoke are intensely sweet, narcotic, cinammony, with some nutmeg, and a healthy dose of berries and figs. As the chip continues to burn, the scent becomes more woody and earthy. Finally, like Kings Blend, the whole composition is permeated with majestic wild flowers and first rate ta'if rose. However, this is NOT your typical oud/rose combo: it's lush, deep, intense and dark and smells natural, yet otherworldly. Extreme Oud is one of the few fragrances that seduces the primal reptilian part of my brain, as I unwillingly (or willingly?) surrender to my vices...

This is an oud lover's dream journey! For an authentic Middle-Eastern feeling, which is the target audience of this Middle East Exclusives line, and if you are really, really into morphing, undulating, sensuous ouds, you must have this. I am so grateful to have found this masterpiece!

1 - 5 of 7