ScentDaneScentDane's Perfume Reviews

1 - 5 of 8
ScentDane 7 months ago 2

Almost there but not quite
I had high expectations for Boundless after reading the note description, and the mood that Karine Vinchon-Spehner wants to portray with it.

Boundless opens sweet and spicy with blood orange, green cardamom and cinnamon tree/bark. It gives you a nice, warm feeling. If Spicebomb Infrared had smelled like this, it would have been an amazing scent. The opening feel lingers throughout the life of Boundless, but gets mixed in with the vanilla, tobacco, and all the woody/earthy oils (vetiver, gaiac, patchouli, etc). I don't pick up the cacao that much.

The times that I've tested it, I get reminded of spicebomb/Rehab/1899, Aramis Tobacco Reserve and a bit of Gucci PH 1 too. I do really like this scent, but for me it particularly feels flat in terms of projection and longecity. I find it hard to pick up after six hours, and it doesn't project much. For me this falls in the same line of newer Amouage fragrances like Meander and Enclave, that looks good on paper, starts out good, but just cannot reach the level that you would expect from Amouage due to their previous scents. I love Jubilation XXV, Journey, Beach Hut, Reflection Man, Epic Man. But the newer ones doesn't even come close.

So in summary, if this had been a designer I had paid 70-90€ for, it would have been an excellent fragrance, but because this is Amouage, I did expect more, and Boundless thus just becomes a good fragrance that I like, but don't love.

ScentDane 2 years ago 1

A gourmandish oud beast
Shaghaf Oud is an absolutely beast mode of a fragrance, so take that as a warning to go lightly on the trigger or you'll choke everyone out.

I'd classify this as a gourmand oud where the praline and vanilla gives it a very sweet opening. So be aware that it is very sweet because if you aren't into gourmands then there are probably better oud alternatives.

I ended up selling my bottle as I prefer different ouds that are less sweet, but darker (gucci intense) or fresher (aqcua di parma), and I just couldn't see when I'd wear this. This could work well outdoor for the Winter or the cooler half of Fall.

All in all, you get tremendous bang for your buck here if you're into sweets and oud.

ScentDane 2 years ago 2

A journey to a mysterious and magical forest
True to its name Enchanted Forest transport you to a lush, green, mysterious and inviting forest.

It opens very sweet with a bubblegummy feel to it, but this sweet note settles down to a more fresh, green, sweet and vibrant scent with all the notes (and there is a lot going on) blending together. The dominant note will be the from the black currant though.

Where other forest scents (Tom Ford's Vert series or Fougere d'argent) give a more truer feel of being out in nature or deep in a forest, the sweeter notes in Enchanted Forest really brings about that enchanted and mystical feel to it and makes the scent a great experience. Where other scents dries down to be more woody, Enchanted Forest remains lush and green and more on the gourmandish side.

Enchanted Forest lasts a decent amount on my skin around 6-8 hours and projects well too without being overpowering.

Probably not the best scent for a work environment due to the sweetness of it, but it's perfect for either being outside or when you just want to day dream a bit. Best in early Fall, Spring time or cooler Summer days.

If you like green, fresh scents or gourmands, then Enchanted Forest is definitely worth checking out. If you are a perfume fan then I'd also recommend just giving this a sniff for the sake of experiencing it.

ScentDane 2 years ago 1

Hidden gem at the price
Versace Man is an example of a fragrance where the scent matches the bottle.

You get a nice tobacco that surfs on a wave of saffron and amber with spices in the background. This means you get a tobacco fragrance with very sweet notes also from the labdanum, that might lean a bit more unisex than some people prefer, but that are in no way feminin. If you already own Versace Oud Noir, you might find this to be to similar and redundant.

Versace Man is best suited for cold Winter and Fall, but can also be used for cooler Spring days. It can be used as day scent and for the office, but go light on the sprayer.

It easily last for a working day with 8-10 hours (even more if sprayed on clothes) and projection is decent too.

It's supposedly discontinued, but readily available at discounters. Definitely a nice little gem at the price.

ScentDane 2 years ago 2

Leaving the forest for the coast line on a warm Spring day
This is my first experience with Imaginary Authors, but what a pleasant one it is!

Firstly, I have to say that I am a huge lover of green, aromatic green and fougere fragrances, so that is of course influencing my view of ESAS.

Every Storm a Serenade opens up with a pleasant whiff of the (Danish) spruce, vetiver and eucalyptus that gives a really warm and pleasant sensation. It's woody, dark and rich with a liquorice quality to it (probably from the vetiver and eucalyptus). In the background you can pick up the sea water note slightly that gives ESAS that feel of you being in a woody beach on the West coast of Denmark. However, this is very subtle and in the back, and I don't pick up on the calone or ambergris/ambroxan at all.

If you own Encre Noir by Lalique, you will quite possibly get the similarities with that and this one. The difference is that if Encre Noir is in the middle of a dark, damp, green and wooden forest, then Every Storm a Serenade is you leaving that forest and entering a coast line on either a warm Spring or Fall day. Being from Denmark myself, I can feel that mood that Imaginary Authors are trying to portray here.

The silage is not massive, so you will not bother anyone with this one, but will still be able to pick it up yourself. Longevity is on the average side with it lasting around the 6-7 hour mark. Silage and projection will most likely the stronger, the warmer the weather.

It's not the best office scent, but you would be able to wear it here too. However, I'd find it best suited for a day spend outside in the warmer side of Spring and Fall or on a cooler day of Summer. It most likely won't do well in the midst of Summer or the dead of Winter.

If you love vetiver, green or aromatic fragrances, or want a different take on Encre Noir, then definitely check out Every Storm a Serenade.

8/10