ScentSlaveScentSlave's Perfume Reviews

...
1 - 10 of 59

01/20/2020
1 Awards
So I grabbed it instantly. I love JPG scents, and Le Male is at the top of my personal JPG list. Let me tell you people, the stories of this one being ridiculously similar are absolutely true. The opening of the cigar scent is actually more intense in some areas, albeit a tad bit “rough” or “harsh” in how it feels. It dries down rather quickly as well, but at this $7 price point, I won’t be complaining. I have a work scent to use daily without it eating into my personal stash of the legit version. For such a small price, any complaints would leave me Sounding a whiner who shouldn’t have picked it up in the first place. If I were to compare it to the standards and expectations of the higher brand, I’d be a fool. If it supersedes it, I should be grateful, period.

Does it have the same “foamy, soapy, barbershop-esque” feel to it? No it doesn’t. It’s not quite as rich and full either. Projection/sillage as good, or better? Not on my skin, no. The sillage trail is ok; and the projection feels almost “filtered”. Longevity? Absolutely fine in this department, it’s just closer to the skin. It’s still a full fragrance, it’s just not shooting very far. It’s not bad by any means, but the packaging is pretty lame. The scent is close enough, and I’ll reach for it and blast it liberally before (and during) work with no regrets (and save the real juice for some real occasions).

For the cost, no room for complaints.

Is it close enough? For work in a field that requires diligence (and brings heavy sweat), absolutely!
For a night out or a date? Well... you can tell that it ISN’T Le Male, and I hope you’re not THAT cheap on a date (McDonald’s isn’t the dinner spot) ;-P

Seven bucks, people; if you like Le Male and don’t want to waste juice on some occasions, it’s a no brainer. If you’re gonna compare it to the real stuff with a microscope, you should seek mental help, and/or more things to do with your time, as it was only seven bucks.

Worth the purchase? If you like Le Male, yes.

I scored this for the same price as a hamburger combo, and I know I’ll be using it a LOT. I am a happy camper.

01/20/2020
And this one didn’t disappoint me, personally. I DO get an Eros-esque vibe (the original, not the flame), but as time progresses, it becomes more of its own flavor. I don’t really get much of the coconut... I mean it’s there, but it’s not the traditional, main stream, sweet “pina colada feeling” coconut most would expect; it smells more like a fresh green coconut does, a lighter, not quite so sweet feel (if you’ve had fresh coconut and/or coconut “milk” right out of the shell, you’ll know what I mean; it’s a very faint version of the sweet coconut smell) I think there’s more of a light, slightly Woody, sweet tonka feel. The opening has a little citrus pinch to it, and from there it rapidly goes into it’s sweetness. Some people say they can detect the “JPG DNA” in this, but it doesn’t really kick out the Le Male feel in my opinion. If any similarity is there, I think it’d be to the Le Male Essence EDP base note, and that would be a VERY faint similarity.

Personally it fades away to my own nose after about 2 hours or so, but my wife can detect it a good 8 hours after applying. Projection doesn’t bring a huge radius; maybe a 2ft radius for the first 2hrs or so, and it leaves a pretty good trail in sillage. I really enjoy the scent, as does my wife. She tends to enjoy the Eros-esque style of fragrance. I’m happy with this purchase; I’ve worn it for a few days and it does leave a nice impression on females who encounter it; it didn’t take long to snag a compliment.

01/10/2020
Ah how these reviews got me interested in experimenting... but unfortunately, I just don’t think the Guerlain line appeals to me very much. They might just be TOO “classical” for my taste.

I get a VERY “grassy” feel in this one; not a bad scent by any means... it is indeed a very NICE grassy feel that slowly builds after the citrus/lemon opening begins to fade out, it’s just not my “flavor”. A little too “mature” for me; it gives off a kind of “Doctor-ish” or “Professor-ish” feel. A kind of “intimidating intelligent alpha” vibe. Actually both of them (Habit Rouge and Vetiver) feel rather “mature” in how they wear on my skin, and the longevity on them is really quite short lived on me

I’ll hold on to both of them, as I’d be very interested in any ideas for “layering” them, but I don’t think I’ll be sporting them “solo” very often.

01/10/2020
And I was terrified when I first sprayed it... it DEFINITELY has a femininity to it; the opening especially. A flowery kick to it, with a very waxy feeling of top; honestly I can see the comparison to a woman’s handbag (see @Emorandeira below) being fairly accurate. I can also see the “lemon candy” description fitting as well; almost like a strawberry/lemon cough drop. I didn’t think I was going to like it... until it started to dry down and transform a bit... as it fades out of the opening, the sweetness comes through a bit, and it becomes softer. It becomes a very nice, creamy vanilla scent as the base notes shine through, but I definitely don’t think this will work for the younger crowd. It screams “MATURITY” quite loud in the opening. I think of museums and old school houses every time I lift my wrist and smell it as the opening shines. It’s the “waxy” feeling vanilla note that comes as it transfers from opening into mid that feels odd, and the lemon is really, really strong. I honestly think this would work better for a woman, as the leather note feels more like a designer purse than a leather jacket, or cowboy boots.

Longevity is quite short for me (2019 batch), as it fades away within 3-4 hours.

Not going to be in my regular rotation, but it’s interesting indeed.

Anyone got suggestions of scents to layer it with?

01/04/2020
3 Awards
... but those that love Dior Homme for the Iris note are going to be disappointed... absolutely no Iris, and it’s quite a different vibe.

The opening has a brightness to it... I can’t decipher the exact note, but it leaves an “elegant” feeling floating in the air. The mid tones have a Woody feel that is very similar to the woods in the Sauvage Parfum, and then as the base notes emerge the fragrance sweetens up a bit and shines with confidence.

The projection and sillage are rather intense; so don’t go too crazy on the sprayer. It projects out to a 3+ foot radius, and the sillage trail is rather persistent. Longevity shines as well, as it easily lasts 8+ hours on my skin.

Again, many will not like that there was a change to the flavor, but I absolutely love this one.

12/26/2019
... it’s just that it was made by the new CK house, and has zero longevity. I know freshies aren’t expected to go very long, but this guy disappears in 3-4hours. I actually enjoy the sweet, fresh scent it gives, but sillage, projection, and longevity all suddenly “drop” out when it’s done working, and there’s not even a “skin scent” left. Thankfully CK fragrances aren’t very expensive (I’m not a fan anyway), as they don’t “perform” well at all.

1 Awards
It was fantastic in the 90’s (when it had no sprayer), with an epic projection radius and fantastic sillage. This current version seems “watered down with alcohol” and isn’t even a shadow of its former self. I remember wearing this with pride, but the newer version doesn’t quite feel the same. It has the scent of the original, it’s just WAY softer and weaker. The new version barely reaches a 2ft radius for MAYBE an hour; and the sillage trail is faint at best.

It’s one of those “nostalgic memories” that isn’t quite as good as you remembered. Like going back home after 10 years and excitedly ordering that awesome local hamburger, and being utterly disappointed in the sandwich you get.

I loved it back then, but the new product doesn’t do it like it used to, and I’m almost heartbroken.

12/26/2019
... and fails when it comes to longevity. The projection radius is ok for about an hour or so (with about a 2ft reach), but it dies off quickly with 3-5 hours of longevity, and a moderate sillage for that time.

It’s a nice masculine scent with a hint of sweetness, but it leaves me longing for a tad bit more in performance. What can I expect from CK though? This isn’t really a surprise.

1 Awards
Not quite as durable as it once was. It smells much better on the skin than it does on paper, but unfortunately, the longevity is mediocre at best. Maybe 4-6 hours if you’re lucky. I love the scent itself, in every facet of it, it’s just that the projection isn’t what it used to be (maybe a 2-3ft radius for 1.5hrs), the sillage is rather soft, and as I said above, the longevity isn’t very good. Most of the Calvin Klein fragrances I have don’t have much longevity, and that’s too bad, as there are some nice scents in this line that don’t quite “go all the way”.

12/24/2019
This scent is simply INTOXICATING... such a gorgeous blend... the sillage trail left me turning my head in disarray. Where is that coming from?!? My oh my... such a dark seductiveness it gives... It projects very nicely, not too overbearing, yet “loud” enough to warrant some intrigue... I can’t wait for her to open her Christmas presents, as this one will leave me smiling every time she sports it. It will make every night out that much more special.

...