SilverfireSilverfire's Perfume Reviews

1 - 10 of 126

11/01/2019
1 Awards
In the first five minutes, Glamour radiates that a natural flower smell combined with old-skool bathroom, and powdery cosmetics. In short, a fecal cosmetics aroma. Bleah.

With that said, it's quite realistic. I can totally smell myself in the bathroom of my grandparents, sampling my grandmother's cosmetics. However, I wouldn't want to do that, as in ever.

As it goes on, the fecal undertow diminishes, leaving a clean, Noxzema-like, powdery, faintly fecal smell. It nails the cosmetics vibe, but it's a retro cosmetics vibe. Could this be the scent of aging female movie stars? Yes! Someone apparently smelled DS & Durga's Spirit of the Glen and said, "Hold my (craft) beer."

If you ever wanted to smell like an aging female movie star, this is your ticket. Look no further.

11/01/2019
1 Awards
Goes on as gasoline Kool-aid. Yeah, you read that correctly. Gasoline Kool-aid.

Then it moves into scotchguard territory with some cheap stryax, eventually morphing into little girl's overly-sweet flower with some aldehydes plus scotchguard. That's where the first fifteen minutes takes you -- confused, speechless, but not impressed. Unfortunately, it's not done. The fragrances eventually lands on a fresh Play-Doh smell, gradually dying away. I lost track of it after four hours.

I have to say -- this is strange, but not in a weird, gothic, compelling way, which is exactly what all the imagery and the language on the Strange South's website promise. It is creative, but completely off-putting. A bit more subtlety and effort spent creating a wearable scent instead of just an olfactory experience would have very much appreciated.

As it stands, Some Mother's Boy ends up as just another disappointment from the Strange South.

10/22/2019
Winter Kitty goes on with mint, frankincense, and dust, yielding the kind of smell that you'll find in a head shop, or at the back of a book store when someone is burning an incense too heavy for the enclosed space. In the initial stage the quality mint proves interesting (no toothpaste stuff). It is a little choking, at least in warmer temperatures. After four hours, it has become a 1" or so radiating scent, not quite a skin scent; it still feels "close" and warm. It lasts for easily 12 hours plus. Overall, this wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, either. On the right person, this could be a signature scent, but alas, not on me.

09/09/2019
1 Awards
Cristalle Eau Verte hits a merry-go-round of notes at first: fresh grass, orange just shy of fake-orange territory, rotten vegetable, and at last lands on a spicy-vegetable aroma with a fresh orange overtone. This is nice, but not impressive. Projection is 6" or so. Then out come the white florals (which seem to be mostly lily to me), but they dominate the other notes. It's too femme for me.

I do like lilies when mixed with something else, like incense in Passage D' Enfer. I wouldn't mind if I smelled this on my wife and I imagine it would work well for women who want to radiate that kind of fresh, clean, pure, almost innocent kind of vibe.

However, even that fades as the white blooms eventually turn indolic, and bring out the disquieting smell of earth and soil. This is an authentic but unpleasant scent. By hour six, it's evaporated completely.

The opening was far more interesting than the heart notes. I don't mind either, but the fresh/clean/lily smell is pretty common, and the beginning was something new. Altogether, it's something I've smelled before and have never really enjoyed.

Did I enjoy this scent? No, not really. It's just not for me.

09/09/2019
The opening of refined flowers and dusty books brings a smile to my face, but unfortunately, it is fleeting. Within 10-15 minutes, this gives way to the baby oil note. This dances back and forth with the refined flower note, which I guess isn't a terrible thing. After a few hours, it's down to 6" and it feels like it has settled into a pleasant combination of dusty books, flowers, and the baby oil (which is present only as kind of like the casing on a pill). In the drydown, I get a clean, soap-like smell, for 13 hours in declining projection.

Overall, I like this scent. It's classy. It's masculine. I'm not sure if it's purchase-worthy though; it misses the boat by a hair, with the baby-oil thing and the ordinary (but above-average in quality) notes. I'm looking for something more elegant, more forceful, and a little more unusual.

To boil it all down, between this and Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, it's ODLR all the way.

09/04/2019
The first 30 minutes of A City on Fire is just a stryax solo, but then the smoke shows up, tickling the back of your throat. After 90 minutes, it enters cognac territory, Afterwards, it enters the slow fade, eventually ending up as an wisp of an amber skin scent. However, during the whole development stryax never goes away -- it remains present. That's a problem when this stryax is the cheap, aggro version that produces a discomfort approaching physical pain.

As for the other aspects of the scent -- no problems there. It lasts more than 13 hours. Projection is detectable, reaching the 6" range at its peak. I get the mental imagery Imaginary Authors is trying to summon here, but I feel like I've been through a fire, and that has taught me to hightail it out of this city.

09/04/2019
1 Awards
1805 Tonnerre goes on with a very aggressive leather that smells like it just came out of the tanning vat. I like leather, but not this way. Ugh. After a while that dies down and the smell of something burning rises from my wrists. This recedes then intermingles with the gunpowder note, which makes me the smallest bit nauseous. By five hours it has died down to an inch or two of projection. By eight, it is a skin scent that smells like smoke. It's a nice ending, but the two main notes just don't work for me. I wish I got some of the others, but I don't. This is a gunpowder-new leather tandem.

I wanted to like this scent, because Beaufort's approach, imagery, and mystique is something I find quite appealing -- masculine, backwards-looking, somber, and intense. However, 1805 Tonnerre is like watching a boxing match between two fighters that you hate, but you're close enough to smell them. The end of the fight is good, though: they knock each other out.

09/01/2019
1 Awards
To enjoy this scent, you must apply liberally. At least, that's the view from over here with my sample.

I don't have the experience of playing violin or being around violins, so the connections others have I don't (band person here, not orchestra, or professional musician -- sorry).

Bowmakers opens with an acrid campfire aroma, like burning cypress or magnolia, perhaps. I'm trying to identify the kind of branch that I've burned that has this particular aroma, but I'm pretty sure it's not pine. (I live in the county, so I can make fires. Don't judge.) The projection is large for the first thirty. It gradually fades in strength for the next three hours, and hits a nice boozy, aldehyde moment at about eight hours. The final movement is a smoky incense. Curiously, when it's done, it's done suddenly. You can immediately detect its absence.

The final verdict? Props to DS & Durga once again for making something out-of-the-ordinary. It lasts long enough. The concept makes more sense now, in the context of violins, rather than my initial context, which was hunting bows. I'm just not a big fan of the smoky incense, and so the last movement was a bit of a let-down.

It's a pass for me, but it's well worth trying. DS & Durga is one of the best fragrance studios out there.

08/29/2019
This one's been on my wish list for a while, but sadly did not live up to my (possibly unrealistic) expectations.

Initially, I get the aroma of wild grasses (first 30), then something more airy comes along which echoes being outside. I can't peg this. It's not ozonic, but something with a tinge of sweetness to it.

Occasionally, the scent transitions to pepper, and then a rotten waterlogged vegetable smell, then vanilla musk and aldehydes. Sometimes it just skips to the vanilla musk and aldehydes stage. The projection dies off in the first hour, vanishing to just about nothing. I don't think it lasts more than four hours on my skin.

Now this last stage deserves comment. Where it lands is a generic young girl's scent. If you suspect that you've found the most generic perfume you can possibly wear, congrats. You have. You've smelled it a million times before, under different names, but it's all the same stuff.

I was expecting something distinctive -- kudzu, cherry blossom (sakura), maybe even rice -- but not vanilla musk. I got the dandelion (wild grasses, I guess) note, which was nice, but nothing that spoke to me specifically of Japan or Tokyo.

Final evaluation: Not worth it.

It could always be that I'm romanticizing a place I've never been. Yet, doesn't the line Scents of Departure make the claim that different places smell different? The Different Company might look to them for some olfactory inspiration.

08/22/2019
Goes on with that dirty stryax scent shared with Mojave, and then blooms into a resiny pine which is much more enjoyable to me. Two hours in, it grows more arid, turning into a pine-resin-arid-stryax combo. Not bad, but not really great, either. By six hours, it has receded to a skin scent, but the composition remains as it is, a stryax-heavy pine-resin, outdoors scent. The longevity is nice at 10+ hours, but the scent is just average. I salute Juniper Ridge for their wild-cultivated ingredients, but they could use a little bit more creativity in the composition department. To end with a pun, this scent just didn't resin-ate with me.

1 - 10 of 126