SmellsFargoSmellsFargo's Perfume Reviews

Filter & sort
6 - 10 by 14
SmellsFargo 1 year ago 2
Blast from the past
how do i say this without sounding... you know? well ill just come out and say it;
this smells foreign, and i love it. this fragrance is unique, lovely smelling, very complex and best of all, its cheap. i bought my 100ml bottle on fragnet for $19, and it might be the best value, lb. for .lb, $ for $ in all of fragdom.

there's alot of notes in this, and the first thing that hits you a powdery lemon blast, with slight fruity touches as fragantica says there's no plum but everyone else pretty much assured there is, so what can you do? (maybe its the black currant) its 40% lemon/40%powdery/20%fruity, with some picking up the lemon more than others.

in the mid, the lemon takes a backseat for the floral aspects, and while i wasnt able to pick out individual notes, its decidedly floral, slightly powdery, with my brother picking out the rose while my cousin (a girl) noticed the jasmine more, so take that for what it's worth. and while the lemon takes a backseat, it is still there in the background lingering like a creep at a bar who's waiting on last call but hasn't taken a single sip all night.

and then comes the chocolate. chocolate isn't necessarily one of my more favorite notes when it comes to fragrances because to me usually they're done as the main players or often times they go overboard to my nose and they often become a little too intense, here though? the chocolate comes out and is prominent in the base but the vanilla and the woods show up to the party as well, and with the floral aspect still faintly there, makes for an ecclectic finale, as this is what you get for the rest of the life of the scent.

the performance on me is pretty cool, I get 6 to 7 hours, sometimes eight if you made a particular sweet spot on the temperature where it isn't exactly cold but isnt exactly warm. projection is pretty good as I say it's not quite full arms length but it's certainly a little bit past the elbow, and sillage is very moderate. versatility is very high for me, as a fragrance is pleasant enough to wear to the office and close environments, the floral mid is great for lunch dates, if you spray it enough it'll get particularly loud and slightly bold and mysterious enough to wear to a black tie event in my opinion. the base with the chocolates of the wood one sure that is fragrance as enough heaviness that will withstand some cool days, biy dont grt too fucking crazy now.

this fragrance came out in 1997, basically 24 years ago but to me does not smell dated nor does it smell modern. if this had a little more in terms of performance power )like an extra 2 hours), you can easily smell this and think that it was a niche because it doesn't smell designer at all. I would tell you to sample this but there's no place that I've come across thats actually doing this one, but it's so damn cheap you can just buy a 50 ml or 100 ml, give it a shot and if you don't like it then fuck it, we've all foolishly blown 10 to 20 bucks before.
SmellsFargo 1 year ago 4
We all scream for...french toast?
today's been the shittiest day of your fucking life; there's just no fucking way around it. your boss reamed you out twice and what makes it worse is that both times were a result of your doing so you had no one else to be mad at but your God damn self. you forgot to put the seal on your lunch and you just happen to pack cod fish salad and over hear everybody complaining that now the entire break room smells like fish, and you're not about to go grab that bag so you join in and be like "who's the dirty mother fucker that stunk up the break room?" and you left your wallet at home, so you can't even go and buy something quick from across the street at that burger stand; so you're just going to eat your thoughts for lunch.

your hard drive crashed and IT department is telling you that you might not be able to recover the files so the case you been working on for your client for the last 2 months might literally be erased off the face of the Earth, even though your work husband Terry told you to save it on a backup drive " you never know". speaking of Terry, you don't know how to interpret his mixed signals and you're not sure if he wants to fuck you or if he's just stroking his own ego. and in the back of your mind you're justifying it because hey you're both married you're both seemingly unhappy with your spouses you both get along great; what's the harm?

the only thing that made this whole fiasco seem worth it was that vacation that you're going to be taking at the end of next week ...well you WERE taking; your boss strolls into your office, I'm sorry, your cubicle and told you that your vacation is going to have to be pushed back and there's no time frame on when that will happen but they will "keep you updated". so you take 10 minutes to go online and cancel your reservation and flight tickets but because you booked this since last October, they charge you a 50% cancellation fee. the fee being so high that now you can't even go anywhere whenever your vacation time actually arrives.

the end of the day comes and you feel awashed with a sense of relief that this hellacious day is almost over. go to your car turn on the engine, before you pull off you think of yourself "what the fuck is this horrendous smell?" you look down and it looks like you stepped in shit and tracked it into the car. you think to yourself "know what I'm just going to go home drink a whole bottle of Pinot grigio take a couple of Xanax and go to bed fuck it". that's when you receive a text from your ex-husband saying that some things come up so he cannot take the kids this weekend and it's at that very moment you feel the strong urge to just swerve your car and send it careening off the overpass.

so you the roll up on the kids school pick them up awaiting for the Armageddon that's about to ensue and surprisingly they're well-behaved. they tell you "hey Mom it's good to see you" and that they actually apologize for their father not being able to pick them up this weekend. and you're stress starts to temper a bit and you decide to maybe start getting the ball rolling and form some momentum so you ask the kids what they want to eat for dinner, you don't feel like cooking (not because you're stressed or overwhelmed but you will not be able to handle the reality of another day of the kids willingly refusing to eat your dinner because you can't cook worth a shit and that would be the straw that broke the camel's back).

so after a surprisingly good Big Mac, the kids ask if you could go take them to the ice cream shoppe and you think to yourself "God damn it it's been years since I've had ice cream". and the wave of nostalgia hits you for when you were a little one so bad, that it almost washed away the crap feeling you've had over yourself for most of the day, keyword: almost. you guys get there with about 20 minutes to spare you ask the staff if it's okay to order since those guys are about to close up in 20 minutes and they cheeringly welcome you to come by and get a couple of scoops.

but then you walk up to the counter, you get on your knees and you begin to have a nervous breakdown; you see they only have rum raisin and pistachio left, the horror. you pull out that revolver in your purse that you've been hoping never to use against someone attempting to assault you, put it to your mouth pull the trigger and end it all.

a whiff of a waffle cone captures that magical feeling and smell when you walk into an ice cream shoppe that makes its own waffle cones on the premises, where it seems like time stands still and life is all good, before you decided to channel your inner Cobain. Josh Myers and the guys over at imaginary authors always throw in this magical fabricated note that you know is impossible but still manage to conjure up a mixture of molecules that evokes that very feeling. that very note in this fragrance is ice cream shop and that is exactly what you smell, from the sweetness to the cream and even the metallic tincture of the machinery.

when people see the art on the box and promo they're going to be have preconceived notions that this ithis is going to smell like ice cream and it doesn't. its definitely a gourmand and to my wonderment, it's not exactly linear. beginning opens up you smell the metal tinctures you smell the cinnamon and the caramel, then the dry down about couple few hours in it turns into this very creamy sugary fragrance that actually kind of smells like French toast. the vanilla is a heavy player in the drydown on my skin.

the longevity on this is rather excellent when you wear it on cool days, as I can get around between 8 to 10 hours. sillage is very good, projection isn't heavy nor do you want it to; this is more of an intimate brunch date or gathering with other people who you're going to be in close proximity to. it's $65 for 50 ml so the values extraordinary. and as the box says when you get it, spray it and spray it liberally: as liberally as Josh Meyer votes.

one of my favorite gourmands, I am hesitant to wear it because this is really a limited edition that's going to be vaulted some point soon so if you can get your hands on this if you love gourmands; this is excellent.

SmellsFargo 1 year ago 2
Remember that song Happy? Imagine it, but instead of pharrell it was sung by a rose
as i get older in this fragrance race (and life in general) i notice that my nose is switching shit up on me; things i liked last month are less impressive today, and vice versa. or it could be the psicosis messing eith my mind, who the fuck knows really?

now me, i am a rose lover in my fragrances, especially when its well or uniquely done; from POAL , atomic rose, gold rose oudh: im just a sucker for the shit (lol).

so i decided to do a write up for Al Kimiya because quite frankly, there arent many reviews (if any) for this online, and many for the house of Royal Crown in general. i mean, the house is really expensive (even with or without the dope connections) to just straight up blindbuy for most folks, and as far as im aware, not many if any boutiques carry them either, in case you wanted to try before you buy . also, as my esteemed colleague @an assumed identity pointed out, their write ups arent exactly what youd call accurate.

anyway enough preamble, on to the damn frag. if you read the previous paragraphs of nonsense, this is obviously a rose based scent, and a damned good one at that. if i can compare it for a quick second, to my nose its closest sibling would be Ardent from Boadicea the Victorious, only not amywhere near as jammy, and brighter: ALOT brighter.

in fact, id go as far to say that this shit is uplifting; i feel good and upbeat when i throw this on. it's a nice floral freshie that's a slight touch jammy, wth other florals making their presence known but rose is the star here. it's supposed to be some honey in here but I don't get that at all but our noses are different so maybe you can pick it out. my favorite thing about this is the versatility: while ardent is a little too syrupy to wear in the hot months, lyric man is a little too formal to use as a signature and Porpora is very very dark, almost gothic like, al kimiya is in my opinion is an all year, all occasion all weather fragrance.

I went a little heavy on the sprays (10) and have not went nose blind, nor am I choking out any of my colleagues, so id say projection is moderate from past experience; i get around 9 hours of longevity, about 4 before it sits closer to the skin. as far as complexity goes, this baby is pretty linear, and thats ok, not every frag needs to take twists and turns until its gone: its a dummy reach for sure. scent as i said is bright upbeat and uplifting white floral, but we'll talk about the one downside...that price.

this fragrance retails at around 475, and would I pay 475 for this fragrance? hell no, you are out of your goddamn mind: but I also wouldn't pay 475 for almost any other fragrance either. if you can find a retailer on get a hookup with receiving a Facebook group and it's in between the 150 to $200 range I say go for it; its worth the price of admission at that point.
SmellsFargo 1 year ago 3
0.5
Read before you stone me
before i begin this write up, I just want to say that i think this is a well done, and fairly unique fragrance, especially for PDM standards: this is not for lack of quality in either the blending or ingredients.

but man this shit might just not be for me. my relationship with oud is fairly open, as im cool with it in my juice(you can say we're polyandrous) as long as its not the overwhelmingly dominant note in the fragrance. its not even in my top 10 of fragrance profiles, but i do possess and have tried other oud based or included scents that i enjoyed rather muchly.

ok so the opening...is fantastic. i mean its really brilliant in the way it takes some (not all) of Laytons strengths and blends it with PDMs choice of oud; makes for a unique and sublime experience really.

but that opening only lasts for about an hour (at least on my skin), and then its just straight wood. and ots really not even an unpleasant wood either, its just not my cup of tea. after about 8 hours or so, i feel like ive been going on adventures with Star Lord and the gang cause brother, I Am Groot.

now, i am holding out. a sliver of hope. when i first smelled Layton, im gonna keep it funky; i wasn't impressed in the slightest. it smelled of a high end version of body wash in spray form, you know the kind they hand out in goodie bags at the Illuminati meetings. but as my nose has opened up and ive gotten a chance to lay my honker on other fragrances, i went back to Layton and came away intrigued and wanting to spend more time with it.

the more i wore, the more i whore; wait, sorry wrong group. the more I wore Leighton the more interesting intricacies I picked up the more respect and adoration I gained for it so I'm hoping that exclusif is something similar.

the longevity is pretty good as i get about 9 -11 hours, sillage is fine and projection isnt super loud but good enough. you can find this on certain sites for $200 and at that value or slightly higher, its well worth it...of you sample first. well you should samlle before you buy most of the time (blind buying is such a rush so i wont ever discourage that).

again it's...it's honestly a great frag, just not for me.

SmellsFargo 1 year ago 3
It's the fucking Catalina wine mixer?
When Martha Stewart was picking out the perfect grapes for her bottled wine collection whilst committing massive insider trading, I imagine this is what the vineyard smelled like on that day the FBI rained down upon her vista. I love the tincture of dirt especially in this, gives it just a bit more authenticity in my opinion.

It's funny because when I first smelled it, I'm mostly got the grape at first but it was a weird grape, then I remember this had tobacco leaves in it and for some reason, remembering the notes unlocked this puzzle in my head and then my olfactory opened up I said "wait a minute this smells like I'm walking down a vineyard".

You know obviously not the fancy kind of the French one that uses slave labor, and not even the cool ones in Napa valley in California; More like if they had a vineyard in New Jersey. But I appreciate it for what it is and the vision it showed and the scene it painted for me.

Projection isn't beastly but I don't think this one was meant to be beastly, nor do I think you'd want it to be monstrous, as the tincture and the tobacco leaf really make it to where you'd want this to be a more soft scent bubble. Longevity is okay at around 6 hours on my skin, but for a niche sometimes you would hope that you can expect a little bit more power than that.

I can see some limited occasions where I would think about reaching for this so please try before you buy.
6 - 10 by 14