SorceressSorceress' Perfume Reviews

1 - 10 of 216

09/06/2019
I feel as if I've dropped into a liquid candy vat and I'm floating amidst colorful waves. No disrespect at all to those that enjoy this gourmand treat and I would never mark a perfume as age-specific or gender-specific either. There are many gourmands I enjoy and relish when in the mood. I'd suggest looking at the notes of this perfume before purchase because ice cream, fruity notes, pear, sorbet and raspberry will tickle your olfactory senses to the max. I can understand the fun of a blazing hot summer day poolside wearing a non-serious perfume such as this. Who would want to wear a cloying vintage when temps hit 90+ degrees? Agua del Sol, althugh flighty in its longevity, is aimed at frivolity, not seriousness; playfulness, not seduction; light-heartedness, not domination. Wear it with a giggle and smile. Just keep the bottle handy for constant re-application.

08/30/2019
This is super-strong on my skin, and how I wish I could enjoy it more. I received it in a box-lot and it wasn't what I was going for, so it became part of the collateral afterwards to check. I have worn it through 4 seasons, and it always remains the same, strong almost stifling, cold and hard to embrace. This is not a cuddly perfume by any means. One would think a fruity perfume with vanilla would hopefully be, but for my skin, sadly, it is not. Perhaps it is the combination of both cassis and black currant that is giving this more of an ammonia-like power scent. It is definitely heady and at times, over-whelming. Not a whiff of vanilla for balance, or even ylang-ylang is not showing. Imagine a cleaning product based in ammonia, wrapped in a berry scent for the masses with musk as an undercurrent. There you have it-Meliora. It lasts for hours upon hours and radiates wonderfully. Just not for me. Perfume behaves so differently on each individual.

06/25/2016
I enjoy the Rares and own all of them, starting with the vintage bottles. They are all different in their own unique way. Each is strong, with the exception of the newest, Rare Amethyst, launched in 2015. That might be because it caters to the current trends or the current market production processing. It's still a pleasant perfume tho.
Two sprays of the others and you're good for hours. DIamonds is sweet, not gourmand-sweet, but floral sweet. The jasmine and gardenia are strong florals here and warmed by woods and amber. Patchouli pops in lightly, it's a sweet patch, but it's there. The balance is good and this Rare is a classic along with its' family.
Great to wear in the winter and fall, cooler weather. Spritz lightly till you see how Rare Diamonds reacts with you. It most definitely can come on strong. It's certainly different in today's world of sweet and fruity compositions and will remind you of an older style fragrance that meant business.

06/14/2016
1 Awards
I picked up a bottle of Bright Night recently, still in the box, full, with tag. It's absolutely beautiful. The tag markets it as a cologne, which is outrageous. I put this on at 6 p.m., and I could still smell it at 2 a.m., 8 hours later. This stuff is potent!
I used a sprayer I put in the bottle instead of dabbing, so the effect is from spraying. I find a sprayer performs better than dabbing it on.
This spicy oriental reminded me of EL Youth Dew, which in a way makes sense. Youth Dew came out in 1953, and Bright Night in 1954. I like the Bright Night bottle better with its glittery lucite top and the curvaceous-formed bottle. It only has a hang-tag to identify the perfume name tho, except for the box, of course. The bottle has no identifying marks, except for the name Avon on the bottom of it.
I definitely get aldehydes in the beginning. Strong aldehydes. That's what led me to comparing Bright Night to Youth Dew instead. There's also an incense vibe to it, cinnamon, resins and balsams are strong along with amber, too. I do get peach, also. This is blended very well with many notes.
Bright Night is an amazing vintage. This is perfect for wintertime, watching the snow fall, sipping hot chocolate, wearing those cozy sweaters and hearing the embers in the fireplace. For such an "elderly" perfume, it's held up wonderfully. Amazing, not just for Avon, but for the state of perfumes.
If this was marketed under any other name, and discovered as a vintage, I'm more than certain people would be swooning over it and clamoring to buy it. I love Avon, and have been wearing it for decades. They've put out a lot of perfumes, and I don't like all of them, but I do certainly enjoy the ones I own. Back in the day, they produced some amazing perfumes, and Bright Night is one of them.

05/19/2016
1 Awards
Unspoken is a really pretty perfume. And not what I expected for a 1975 offering. I smell raspberry and peach in the opening, fizzled with aldehydes but not overbearingly so. Normally, aldehydes and I don't see eye-to-eye because they take on a formaldehyde effect on my skin, but not with this perfume, not at all. For a change, they dance as they should.
Woods take over very quickly, benzoin and incense kicks in and warms up the scent. Honey begins to sweeten the pot, a darker musk thickens Unspoken, while a distinct cedar pops its head periodically. You can appreciate the moss in this perfume for its' grounding abilities to lay a foundation and keep a tight balance for the multitude of notes.
The fruity opening is quite different from a fruity perfume that you'd fast-forward to 40 years later. Why? Unspoken isn't a sweet concoction reminiscent of some gourmand treat. Sure, you get those edible fruits in the beginning, but they're surrounded by aldehydes, and once they disappear you only occasionally get a whiff of them circling the other notes.
As Unspoken progresses you realize this is a vintage, a perfume with reality and one that gives you the Journey thru its course. It does keep circling around tho, fruits, woods-musk, cedar, benzoin-incense, so it's a surprisingly diverse perfume.
Down to closer skin scent in 2 hours, gone in roughly 5 hours on 2 sprays. And that's from the "Ultra Cologne Spray" sleek packing, modern bottle from 1975. Pretty strong for a 41 year old juice. Wearable by anyone who enjoys perfume with a true and distinct variety of notes that are pure in their nature.

04/11/2016
3 Awards
Bright, airy, fun and crisp. The blood orange(Fruit of the sun) hits you in the face. The initial spray is like cutting into an orange and it squirts you in the face-bam! It's an eye-opener. Now we're talking about a perfume that gets your attention. One that takes you out of your space and time. It's about time.
Coffee and cloves, yes, a bit disconcerting as you read the notes. Cardamom, chocolate, musk and patchouli too? It's all there. It seems like such a jumbled mix your head spins at first, but then it all comes together to a delightful happiness.
You're walking down an herbal path of gardens with the Partridge Family hiding in the flowering bushes singing their songs while Jimi and Janis are belting it out in your head. Yeah, this perfume is tripping you down the discordant path of 1969 and it's all Sunshine happiness. It lasts for hours on end and it's full-bottle worthy.

03/17/2016
I would swear there are aldehydes in Sonnet that linger and linger on my skin for ages and steal the show of this perfume. They're not listed, but I know that all-too-familiar smell that some enjoy and some despise. A few minutes in, the poof of the powder begins and mingles with aldehydic waves.
Sonnet is a mature perfume, and certainly one quite different than offerings of the last thirty years or so. This is what we all imagine ladies used to smell like, you know, the ladies in their fur coats with their Lilly Dache hats and opera gloves. This is true vintage and could be considered a bit harsh by today's sweet standards. It settles down to a skin scent within a few hours and I thought that was that. Not at all. About four hours later, I noticed a spicy aroma, with a vibe similar to Youth Dew, or Bright Night. Sonnet had morphed into a spice bomb, altho a skin scent spice bomb. The combination of carnation and spices suddenly came together strongly, but rather late to the game. An interesting vintage that takes you on a Journey, through true notes. Sonnet is a chameleon. If you're a vintage fiend, you'll enjoy this one for its diversity. Another Avon vintage surprise!

02/17/2016
1 Awards
Roses wrapped with musk. I wish I could get more from this perfume, but after wearing it twice, sadly I cannot. There are other notes that did draw me to it, but I'm disappointed that Trellis is basically pure roses on me. If you truly enjoy roses, then this is one for you. I do believe there are other offerings on the market that could be better for that type of floral offering. Pretty, but too linear and not as full-bodied as I expected. Very soft and sits close to the skin.

02/09/2016
3 Awards
The House of Elizabeth Taylor has introduced another perfume for 2016 called White Diamonds Night, an absolutely beautiful and sedately warm, resinous perfume, quite unlike her original White Diamonds. Do not confuse this perfume with her others if you didn’t like her former bodacious presentations. White Diamonds Night is so completely different you just might become a fan of Elizabeth Taylor perfumes if you’ve never worn them before.

This presentation is warm with resins and sandalwood that stay the entire length of the perfume. The initial spray gives you a slight citrus feel with a hint of apricot, not a fruity feel at all, just a hint of warmth to start the perfume. The sandalwood comes into play almost immediately and brings the resinous feel right into the heart of the perfume.

Jasmine and freesia are two flowers that are notes in White Diamonds Night, but I could not pick up on them with my chemistry. Patchouli is in this flanker also, but it’s very light, barely noticeable. Musk is also listed in the drydown and it’s faint but enough to mellow the perfume.

This is a familiar smelling perfume and highly pleasant. If you like vanilla-scented perfumes, you should enjoy it. The resins reminded me of a burnt, creamy vanilla along with the woods. Three sprays lasted 4 hours, altho the last two hours were a skin scent.

Wearable day and night, basically anywhere. The bottle is the same as the others except for the black glass. The name might confuse people tho. It is definitely nothing like White Diamonds at all.

01/28/2016
6 Awards
There is a history behind Tabu perfume that some say is a myth and others hold steadfast to. Whether you believe it or not doesn’t matter. What does matter is that Tabu is known as the Mother of oriental perfumes dating back to 1932. I don’t know if the story was a marketing ploy or not, but Tabu has become a classic and stuck around for all these decades.
Funny thing to me is that if it was marketed to hookers, ladies of the night, and let’s say, more sexual women back then, and if you now look at reviews by the younger generation, why do so many trash it? It has such an interesting story. You’d think such a historical perfume with such a bodacious and lascivious past would draw interest and it does, but unfortunately, the interest seems to be negative if Tabu is not given a fair chance.
So very often, reviewers will trash it as a sexual grannies nightmare. Yet, the same generation will take the Agent Provocateur line, for example, (if you haven’t seen the commercials, youtube them) and write glowingly about these “sexually provocative” scents. It makes my head spin. Marketing again. What is supposed to be “sexy” changes with the decades. And certainly, what every generation of men and women see as sexy, most definitely changes with the decades. Sexiness may change, but seductiveness doesn’t.
Perhaps because it’s sold in places like the Marts and drugstores now people discard it as a perfume not worth their while? That’s their mistake, certainly. Drugstore perfumes can be wonderfully delicious and economical finds. To turn up one’s nose at a fragrance because it’s sold in a drugstore is a terrible form of snobbery and a bigger loss to one’s education of perfume.
I always loved the picture of the woman in the gown, the little violin and everything behind it. The picture is the 1901 painting Kreutzer Sonata by Rene-Xavier Prinet. I always loved the little violin bottles with the beautiful painting reproduced on the bottle. I saved my baby-sitting money and purchased those little bottles quite happily.
So what does it smell like? What makes Tabu a love/hate relationship? It’s a perfume heavy on spices. Orange tickles your senses for a few brief moments before the cloves hit strong, along with coriander, benzoin and civet. The woods, vetiver and oakmoss lay the foundation. This is an enormous oriental that will fill a room and choke the inhabitants if you over-spray. The cologne, which is the mildest form of perfume with the least concentration of perfume oils, is still that strong. Wearing it, you’ll feel luxurious, wrapped in a cloak of mysterious oils, sensual and earthy, living in another time period.
An oriental can do that. It’s a rich, thick perfume. It envelopes the wearer. It cloaks you with mystery and an aura. It entices. Not a day-time fragrance, it’s perfect for night, in cooler weather, when the snow falls around you. Tabu is not meant for hot summer days when the sun is blazing down. It’s a cloying perfume. Spray it on a scarf and the scent will last for a week at the minimum. When you spray it on yourself, it lasts all day. It’s that strong.
I always recommend buying the vintage version of a perfume because I feel the stronger, natural oils were still used. I’d still recommend purchasing the vintage version of Tabu but, if you’ve never smelled it before, knock yourself out and venture into a Mart or drugstore and buy a new bottle for a few bucks. It’s that inexpensive. The new version won’t be as strong, but believe me, it’s still going to knock you down and do a Linda Blair on you. I own 5 bottles of Tabu, dating from the 1960’s to today. They all smell incredibly ambrosial, absolutely delectable and yes, depending on the decade, they are different in the dry-down.
The older the bottle, the quicker the veil of Tabu will envelope you. Should you purchase a newer bottle of this oriental floral, wait some time to understand what this perfume is about. You’ll get a root beer effect to start out before the true magic begins. If you enjoy it, then spring for a vintage bottle, they’re still inexpensive. Some say that Tabu chooses its victims, in other words, she doesn’t agree with all. Should you be lucky enough to wear her in all her glory, wear her proudly. Jean Carles would be proud.

1 - 10 of 216